Chapter 146: Back to Konoha
85 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Konoha Village.

  

Two weary figures arrived here.

Two Konoha chunin responsible for guarding the gate approached them and invited them to register their information. When they took off their cloaks revealing their true identities,

"Lord Jiraiya!"

"Chunin Akihara Kagura!"

The faces of the two chunin immediately showed a trace of surprise.

"Has anything significant happened in the village?"

As Jiraiya wrote down his and his disciple's names, he casually asked, hoping to glean some information from these two chunin.

"Nothing significant, I guess?"

"It seems like there really isn't anything major…"

"But recently, quite a few Jonin who were out on missions have returned…"

The two gate-guarding chunin shook their heads.

"Teacher Jiraiya, let's go have a bowl of ramen first."

Akihara Kagura felt that nearly two years had passed since he left the village to train outside, and the village seemed to have hardly changed.

"Alright."

Jiraiya frowned slightly and followed behind Akihara Kagura towards the direction of Ichiraku Ramen: "If it's nothing serious, why did the old man ask us to come back so early?"

"I only know how to kill."

Akihara Kagura, seemingly without much progress, casually replied: "Perhaps the Third Hokage wanted me to come back to assist in killing."

"You've really not grown at all, you brat!"

Jiraiya held his forehead, thinking that the road to correcting this child's way of thinking was still very long: "At least try to restrain yourself a bit!"

On the commercial streets of Konoha.

A young couple, looking around thirteen or fourteen years old, were walking around holding a bag of food.

Both were wearing long-sleeved round necks with the Uchiha clan crest on the back, and ninja headbands from Konoha on their heads, it was Uchiha Itachi and his girlfriend Uchiha Izumi.

Uchiha Izumi, holding the food bag, seemed to notice her boyfriend was preoccupied and didn't prattle too much about the goods sold in the roadside shops, carefully asking: "Itachi-kun seems very weary! Is it because the recent missions have been tough?"

"It's alright."

Uchiha Itachi shook his head.

During this period, the behavior of the Uchiha clan became increasingly aggressive, but Itachi was unable to stop any of it, even his father, Uchiha Fugaku, couldn't influence the situation.

A few days ago, Itachi reported the Uchiha clan's information to the higher-ups of Konoha, hoping that Konoha's leadership would not wish to start a war and would be willing to relax the restrictions on the Uchiha clan.

Perhaps because Itachi could not explicitly state the reasons, or even if he was willing to speak out, given his low status, the Konoha leadership would not be willing to heed his advice.

The Konoha leadership...

Became even more vigilant towards the Uchiha clan.

And the Uchiha clan grew more hostile towards the Konoha leadership.

If this continues...

An internal war will inevitably erupt.

As Uchiha Itachi was deep in thought, the voice of Uchiha Izumi once again reached his ears: "Hey, when did that guy named Akihara Kagura return to the village?"

"What?"

Uchiha Itachi was still somewhat distracted.

By the time Uchiha Itachi clearly heard the name of Akihara Kagura, he saw that former rival and a tall man with white hair walking towards them.

"Lord Jiraiya..."

Uchiha Itachi politely greeted.

"Have I heard that you two were rivals in the past?"

Jiraiya, seeing Uchiha Itachi, showed no hostility, even teasing his own disciple with a smile: "Kagura, you lost to him this time, didn’t you? He’s already got a girlfriend, and here you are, thirteen and still single!"

"Some people are nearly fifty and still single..."

Akihara Kagura’s words hit Jiraiya's sore spot.

Jiraiya, furious, clenched his fists, boasting about his charm when he was young: "When I was thirteen, the love letters I received could pile higher than you, kid! A bunch of little girls were sending me love letters!"

"What’s there to boast about that..."

Akihara Kagura frowned, seemingly finding his teacher's words somewhat boring: "Then why are you nearly fifty and still single?"

"Weren’t you saying we were going to have ramen?"

Jiraiya, with a face full of rage, dragged Akihara Kagura away.

After this teacher and disciple pair left, Uchiha Izumi curiously said: "Their relationship seems really good..."

"Izumi, let’s head back."

Uchiha Itachi's expression turned serious.

This matter must be reported to his father.

After all, this matter could not be kept from Uchiha Fugaku, believing that his father would definitely realize the attitude of Konoha's higher-ups, suppressing the Uchiha clan's desire to revolt.

Ichiraku Ramen.

When Akihara Kagura arrived here.

There was a female ninja with two kids snugly eating there, cursing under her breath: "That idiot Naruto finally passed, all my hard work tutoring you wasn’t for nothing!"

"How did Karin do in her exams?"

Akihara Kagura casually sat next to them.

"Lord Kagura!"

Karin, who had been quietly eating her ramen, suddenly became excited, abruptly lifting her head and widening her eyes at the sudden appearance of Akihara Kagura!

"Uhmm... Uhmm uhmm..."

Uzumaki Naruto, who was eagerly swallowing ramen, couldn’t speak conveniently and could only wave his chopsticks to greet.

"Why did you come back?"

Mitarashi Anko looked at Akihara Kagura, grumbling with annoyance: "Karin still came in second. I knew I shouldn’t have agreed to tutor these two brats. If you want revenge, take it on me! I finally understand why the teachers at the ninja school are always angry..."

"You’ve been a home tutor for two years already."

Akihara Kagura, looking very much the adult, discussed the sunk cost fallacy with Mitarashi Anko: "If you give up now, those two years would be wasted. Once they graduate successfully, you’ll be completely free..."

"..."

Mitarashi Anko angrily picked up her chopsticks.

"By the way.”

Akihara Kagura looked at Mitarashi Anko, who was still furious, and casually mentioned a name that made Mitarashi Anko freeze: "I have some interesting news for you. When I was training with Teacher Jiraiya, we encountered Orochimaru. I heard that Orochimaru used to be your teacher. It seems your teacher has not been doing well lately..."

Mitarashi Anko put down her chopsticks and slowly narrowed her eyes. It had been a long time since she had heard that name, she whispered softly, "Orochimaru, huh... When I see him again, I will definitely kill him!"

Standing outside the door, Jiraiya was somewhat speechless.

What kind of trouble has Orochimaru caused!

"Good luck with that."

Akihara Kagura sincerely wished Mitarashi Anko well, then took the opportunity to educate her: "So, when teaching students, you must be sincere to avoid a future where they grow up wanting to kill their teacher. If you don't properly teach Karin and Naruto, and they take you as a role model, wanting to kill you just like you want to kill Orochimaru, what will you do?"

"Is that so?"

Mitarashi Anko smiled and looked at the two little brats beside her.

"I won't kill Sister Anko!"

Uzumaki Naruto, looking at Mitarashi Anko's smiling face which was filled with a murderous intent, quickly raised his arm, swearing loyalty to the big sister who had been tutoring him.

"I... I don't have such thoughts..."

Karin carefully shook her head, whispering softly, "If someone wants to kill Teacher Anko in the future, I will save her..."

"Karin, you're such a good child."

Mitarashi Anko smiled warmly, ruffled Karin's red hair, and then patted Uzumaki Naruto's head, pinching Naruto's cheek: "Thinking you could kill me, you're a hundred years too early! You better promise me to pass your exams next time..."

Mitarashi Anko continued to smile at Uzumaki Naruto, but a shade of murderous intent flashed briefly: "If your grades fall back, I will kill you first!"

"Understood..."

Uzumaki Naruto stuttered in response.

"Such an extreme method of education..."

Jiraiya, standing next to a ramen shop, shook his head helplessly. He did not disturb the gathering of his disciple and old friend, finding a place to hide by himself.

It was only after Akihara Kagura and the others had finished their ramen and watched Mitarashi Anko leave with Uzumaki Naruto and Karin that they found Jiraiya.

Just then, the Third Hokage, Sarutobi Hiruzen, learned of Jiraiya and Akihara Kagura's return to Konoha and immediately sent the Anbu with orders for them to go to the Hokage's office.

The one who came to convey the orders was, of course, Hatake Kakashi.

After two years of not seeing each other, Hatake Kakashi still wore his mask when delivering orders, and by his side was a female ninja with purple hair, also wearing a mask.

When Akihara Kagura and Jiraiya saw them while buying pear juice, Kagura casually asked Hatake Kakashi, "Long time no see, Captain Kakashi. Would you like a drink?"

After asking, Akihara Kagura looked at the purple-haired kunoichi and continued, "Captain Kakashi, you have a new team member. Has my position in the Anbu been revoked?"

"Chunin Akihara Kagura."

The female ninja with purple hair and wearing a mask, seemingly following Hatake Kakashi's teachings closely, whispered, "Please do not directly call out the names of Anbu ninjas during missions."

"There's no need to lecture this guy."

Hatake Kakashi interrupted his subordinate helplessly, looking at Akihara Kagura: "Your position in the Anbu is still secure. Let's go to the Hokage's office now. The Third Hokage has been waiting for you. Perhaps there is something important."

The Hokage's office.

Sarutobi Hiruzen seemed even older.

His tenure as Hokage had been too long, and the recent internal strife in Konoha had worn him down. Seeing Jiraiya and Akihara Kagura enter, his mood seemed to brighten a bit.

"Kagura has grown up a lot…”

Sarutobi Hiruzen held his pipe in his mouth, noting that Akihara Kagura seemed to have grown up quite a bit. After a casual greeting, he instructed, "Kakashi, take Akihara Kagura and acquaint him with the examination tasks for promotion from Chunin to Jonin…"

"Yes."

Hatake Kakashi nodded and then left with Akihara Kagura.

"Hey, old man."

Jiraiya looked at Sarutobi Hiruzen, seemingly very familiar with his own teacher, and grinned, "So, you hurried us back just to have Kagura promoted to Jonin? Has this little guy completed enough missions of the required level?"

"This is a special promotion by the Hokage."

Sarutobi Hiruzen had the authority to select Jonin and even had a full reason for it: "Kagura has made significant contributions to the relationship between Konoha, the Mist Village, and the Rock Village. These contributions are sufficient for the little guy to be promoted to Jonin…"

Whether in times of war or peace, Akihara Kagura's strength and achievements were enough for Konoha to promote him to Jonin.

In other words…

It would be strange not to promote him!

"Let's talk seriously."

Sarutobi Hiruzen looked at Jiraiya, his eyes becoming particularly firm: "The Uchiha clan poses a potential threat of rebellion, and promoting Kagura to Jonin is of great significance. It's to let the Uchiha clan understand that the village's higher-ups have absolute control over them in terms of military power, making them realize their rebellious actions cannot succeed…"

Regarding these matters…

Sarutobi Hiruzen couldn't hide them from Jiraiya.

Because just by staying in the village for two days, Jiraiya could keenly sense something was off in the village atmosphere, with Anbu appearing frequently around the Uchiha clan's area, and the Uchiha ninjas gathering frequently, even gearing up for combat.

"I shouldn't have brought Kagura back…"

Jiraiya shook his head and sighed, not wanting his disciple to become a tool or pawn for the higher-ups of Konoha, especially as one used to suppress internal dissent.

"Jiraiya."

Sarutobi Hiruzen looked at Jiraiya, his expression grave: "This is to ensure peace within the village. I have issued a summoning order to you and Tsunade, but Tsunade ignored my letter…"

"That's to be expected."

Jiraiya knew his old teammate well: "You want Tsunade to deal with the village's ninjas as enemies? Tsunade is a medical ninja; she wouldn't agree to your request…"

"But…"

Sarutobi Hiruzen looked at his disciple and continued solemnly: "To potentially quell any rebellion by the Uchiha, we must possess overwhelming power to facilitate a peaceful resolution of the issues between Konoha and the Uchiha…"

The Third Hokage, Sarutobi Hiruzen, wasn't a person who favored oppressive military force. However, he couldn't be without it either, as military force is the basis for negotiation.

Konoha was at a historical crossroads.

Any power was extremely important to Konoha at this time. Sarutobi Hiruzen specially summoned his two disciples and many ninjas performing missions outside for this purpose.

If any mistake occurred and the Uchiha clan's rebellion caused great damage, it could potentially doom Konoha.

If the Uchiha issue could be resolved peacefully, that would be best…

If there were no more internal issues in Konoha, along with Konoha's current diplomatic advantages, there would be no external wars.

Konoha would welcome a long period of complete peace.

"Let's hope for a peaceful resolution!"

Sarutobi Hiruzen stood by the window and sighed softly, instructing, "Don't leave Konoha during this period, Jiraiya…"

"Forget it, I'm not interested!"

Jiraiya shook his head and frowned, "It's enough that Kagura stays in Konoha. I've completed the mission you gave me well. That little guy has already learned Sage Mode!"

"Oh?"

Sarutobi Hiruzen's eyes lit up.

If that's the case, then Akihara Kagura, the little guy, could learn the even more powerful Sage techniques left by the First Hokage!

In this way…

Konoha would be more confident in resolving the issue with the Uchiha clan!

Even if the Uchiha clan really decided to rebel, with the secret Mangekyo Sharingan eyes hidden within, the village would have someone capable of opposing them!

If the Uchiha clan, at all costs, secretly kidnapped the living Three-Tails Jinchuriki, the Fourth Mizukage Yagura, and the Nine-Tails Jinchuriki, Uzumaki Naruto, who lived in Konoha, Akihara Kagura learning the Sage Mode techniques left by the First Hokage would be enough to resolve these troubles!

9