Chapter 44 – Fruition
368 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Felix sat at his kitchen table, a bowl of cereal in front of him, his phone propped up against the milk carton. The soft glow of the screen illuminated his features as he scrolled through the latest news updates. With each swipe of his thumb, he scanned the headlines, his brow furrowing in concentration.

He clicked on a video clip. The Daily Bugle reporter, Randy Robertson, stood in front of a background of police cars lining the streets of Chinatown. A crowd of onlookers gathered on the sidewalk behind the dark-skinned reporter.

"Last night, Martin Li was apprehended early this morning by NYPD officers," Reporter Randy Robertson said. "Li, a billionaire and entrepreneur from China specializing in shipments, has been confirmed to be the one behind the attack on the Empire State Building. He, as a VIP in the city, was extended an invite and thus given access without anyone turning heads. And most importantly of all, it has been rumoured that he is the elusive Mr. Negative."

Felix added a mouthful of cereal into his mouth. The male anchor continued, listing off the charges against Li: "Mr. Negative is facing multiple counts of racketeering, extortion, and conspiracy to commit murder. Additionally, Li is being investigated for his involvement in a string of violent crimes and drug trafficking across the city."

What came into focus was the arrest of the masked gangsters known as the Inner Demons. They too were being arrested. Overnight, everything was falling into place. Felix’s three-step plan worked. The Maggia, the Hand, and the Inner Demons were defeated. 

“Experts say,” Reporter Randy Robertson continued, “crime across the board will go down by up to forty-seven percent within New York.”

Felix continued to eat his cereal. ‘Nice. Crime doesn’t happen for no reason, there tends to be an overarching logic behind it. In New York specifically, it was the Maggia, the Inner Demons, and the Hand. They were always in the background taking up the time of the police. But now that they’re caught, the NYPD can spend their time with petty crime.’ 

Thefts and burglaries, that sort-of thing could be dealt by them. Felix stretched his arms high in the arm, smiling. He checked his phone.

> Dr. Octavius: We will officially be back at the tower from Monday onwards

> Dr. Octavius: Wooooo

‘Liv…’ A member of SHIELD. Just where did her loyalties lie? ‘SHIELD is definitely going to be searching for me. Czarina saw me in the area but I doubt I’m going to be on a list of any kind. I think my acting was pretty good.’ 

For the sake of keeping up appearances, he replied to her message with a thumbs-up emoji. From next week onwards, he was going to be back to work. His time as Spider-Man was going to be limited to night. He needed to plan accordingly. He needed to investigate.

‘It’s ridiculous to think just last night I had a bullet in my lung.’ He peeked down his shirt and saw nothing. Not even a scar. The wound was completely healed. ‘Talk about a ridiculous healing factor.’ 

The only matter left was his blood. He needed to get rid of it. Just because Extremis rendered it impossible to decipher didn’t mean he could let it remain in SHIELD’s database. Confidence that they wouldn’t solve it was gone. However, it wasn’t a guarantee. 

‘For example, if they studied it with the help of Oscorp, they might be able to whittle it down from a century to a couple decades.’ 

“Herbie,” Felix called out. “Where does Alistair Smythe live?”

His phone suddenly switched to a dark messaging app; the Herbie app. 

SEARCHING OSCORP EMAIL DATABASE…FOUND. ALISTAIR SMYTHE’S ADDRESS IS LISTED AS 2 COOPER ROAD, SCARSDALE, NY 10583. 30 MINUTES OUT OF MANHATTAN. 

Herbie sent over a photo revealing the grandeur of Alistair Smythe's estate. The image showcased a sprawling 1914 Murray Hill estate, nestled on 3.75 acres of pristine land. The property boasted a stunning conservatory adorned with Palladian windows, nine elegant fireplaces scattered throughout, and luxurious amenities such as a library, drawing room, and a garden terrace overlooking a shimmering pool.

In addition to the main residence, the estate featured a fully equipped pool house complete with baths, a well-maintained tennis court for recreation, and a charming two-bedroom guest cottage complemented by a quaint greenhouse.

The sheer opulence and splendor of Alistair Smythe's mansion were shocking. Here Felix was in a small apartment and here was his coworker in a fucking mansion. ‘Does being team leader give you that much of a salary boost?’ he wondered.

Luckily for him, he fetched a ten thousand dollar stack which…frankly, compared to Alistair’s mansion, was nothing. 

THE MANSION COSTS EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS. 

“Sheesh. Okay, wow. How are my stocks doing? Am I close?” Felix was able to better invest his stocks following the charity at the Empire State Building and the Oscorp Tower meeting. Everytime Herbie met someone rich, he briefly hacked into their phones and researched their plans and investments. That way, he was playing the system to the fullest extent.

The downside was that Felix didn’t have an absurd initial investment. He had to build his way up. A person couldn’t just invest ten thousand dollars and skyrocket to tens of millions in a month. Time and planning was necessary. 

CURRENTLY, THE ACCOUNT IS EVALUATED AT SEVEN HUNDRED THOUSAND AMERICAN DOLLARS. 

“Wait, seriously!? I’m almost at a million!” The broker account Felix used was under his own name. He thought about an alias but decided otherwise. It wasn’t like he was flaunting his wealth and it wasn’t like he was being suspicious either. From an outside perspective, he was the perfect lucky investor. Someone from a humble background who chose all the right cards. 

His phone returned to the messaging app. 

IN A MONTH, YOUR INVESTMENTS WILL QUADRUPLE. 

“Really? How so?”

COLLECTIVELY, THE OSCORP BOARD OF DIRECTORS HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH MANY PARTS OF THE AMERICAN GOVERNMENT. OSCORP IS LOBBYING FOR SUBSIDIES. TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN, THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS IS PUTTING MONEY IN THE POCKETS OF THE INDIVIDUAL GOVERNMENT MEMBERS. 

‘Typical rich people stuff. I get it.’ 

Felix ate the rest of his cereal and got up to put the bowl in the sink. He returned, sat down, and crossed his arms. “Alright, back to Alistair Smythe. Has SHIELD approached him yet?”

ALISTAIR’S SECURITY IS NOT POSSIBLE TO HACK. 

“Huh? Why not? Oh, don’t tell me…it’s the same as Oscorp’s highest security?”

INDEED. ALISTAIR SMYTHE HOLDS IMPORTANT INFORMATION. THUS, EVERYTHING ON HIS DEVICES ARE WELL-PROTECTED. 

“Well, shit. So that means I have to dress up as Spider-Man and hack…” Felix trailed off. “Or maybe…I can just go as Felix.”  He turned quiet, thinking. “Right now, I’m working with Oscorp for Project Rebirth II and with Shuri and Liv for Project New Element. Two excuses to get into Alistair’s place. I need to move fast too. I doubt SHIELD is going to wait long. I want to catch them in the act if possible.”

Felix picked up his phone and was prepared to message someone. Herbie, however, had something else to add.

NEWS OF SPIDER-MAN’S INVOLVEMENT HAS BEEN MENTIONED. 

“Finally.” Felix smiled. “What are they saying?”

THE NYPD IS READYING A STATEMENT IN AN HOUR. THEY PLAN TO MENTION YOUR PARTICIPATION. 

“Are they going to be hunting for me?” 

NO MENTION OF HUNTING FOR YOU. IT APPEARS THE LEGISLATIVE, JUDICIAL, AND EXECUTIVE GOVERNMENTS ARE PRESSURING THE NYPD TO REMAIN NEUTRAL. 

Felix curled a finger around his chin. “Ah, I get it. It’s SHIELD and Wakanda. SHIELD wants to hunt me but the international community wants me to stay safe.” He grinned and searched something up on the internet. “Yep, I knew it. In Wakanda and Kenya, all the articles on Spidey are positive. That means I have some political leeway.”

His next move was going to be important. The moment the NYPD confirmed his presence, Spider-Man was going to be in the spotlight and that meant he had to be very, very careful. Infiltrating Alistair Smythe’s mansion as Felix was the best move. However…

‘That’s foolish. Even Felix Faeth has a couple eyes on him,’ he realized. ‘The moment I entered Oscorp, I was always going to be a suspect.’ 

That meant direct entry would be foolish. He was going to have to do this another way. He needed a thorough plan. It didn’t take long for him to come up with one. Smiling, he opened up the Herbie messenger app.

“SHIELD is going to try and analyze my blood. They will fail. If Czarina is indeed a part of SHIELD, she will tell them to ask Alistair to help. And who will likely approach Alistair? Dr. Octavius. That’s our opportunity. Herbie, can you hack into Liv’s phone from here?”

YES. HOWEVER, FROM A BRIEF ANALYSIS, THE PHONE IS A BURNER. NO VITAL INFORMATION IS INSIDE.

“That doesn’t matter. All we need to do is connect to it and from there hack everything else,” Felix replied. The idea he planted in Czarina’s head was going to lead to something truly wonderful. Assuming, for the umpteenth time, that she was a SHIELD. At this point, only time would tell. 

The next half of the day was spent on an online meeting. Dr. Octavius and Bobbi did not appear, both citing sickness. Felix knew the truth, however. Dr. Octavius was doing SHIELD work. That left Felix with Kavita and Maya. Obviously, Kavita was the temporary leader since she was the most boisterous. That was fine with Felix. He enjoyed sitting back and reacting. That was how he always conducted himself; as a man of data, as a scientist. 

Evening arrived and he relaxed on his chair. Last night was a mess. Mr. Negative was caught and the powerful gangs behind him were captured.

‘But because of that, there's likely to be a power vacuum.’ He narrowed. ‘If that's the case, should I risk it and go out as Spidey? I'm sure SHIELD is more than aware that I mostly operate during the night.’

“No,” he told himself. “Patience. Power vacuums aren't filled in a day. I should wait for Dr. Octavius and wait to see if she makes a move.”

Right. Patience. A necessary attribute to be a hero. He was sure Gwen Stacy would agree. Even so…

‘Is being a hero supposed to be this lonely?’

His entire day was spent alone, strategizing and thinking and stressing. Having a night of peace suddenly seemed impossible. He had to keep thinking. He had to keep fighting. That was what he promised himself. That was what he told himself. Revenge. Revenge. 

Reed.

‘Miles.’ 

All of a sudden, he remembered the teen and the blood vision he saw. Mr. Negative forced him to confront his worst fears and his response was anger. He pushed through sheer will and won. He became exactly like Mr. Negative. Felix shut his eyes tight. ‘No, that’s not it. I’m not like him.’ He drew in a breath and opened his eyes. The silence of the room weighed him down harder than any bullet. He forced himself to get up. He had to prove it.

He wasn’t just vengeance and anger. He was something more.

***

“Uh, hi.”

“Hello.”

Felix knocked on Rio's door and received an answer. It was one thing to Mr. Negative demons and saving New York; it was another to talk to a woman you were sort-of, kinda, maybe-maybe not romantically linked with. In the background, he heard the sound of video games.

“Miles is inside,” Rio explained, smiling thinly. “So, um…want to come inside? We’re making dinner!”

"Uh, yeah, sure," he replied, offering a tentative smile in return. "That sounds great, thank you."

He followed Rio inside, the sound of video games becoming louder. Miles sat in the living room, brows drawn together in concentration. 

“Hey, Felix!” Miles exclaimed, not looking away. The kid had great senses. 

“Hey, Miles,” Felix replied with a small smile. “Playing Hollow Knight, I see?”

“You good at it?”

He had never played it. However, with his new abilities…

“Call me a professional.” He winked. In a couple minutes, Miles hung his head as he died to the boss. Felix sat down next to him and was handed the controller. He grinned and began playing.

Suffice to say, the boss didn’t stand a chance. Once Felix was locked in, time slowed. Since he wasn’t moving, just sitting down and focusing on the game, everything became significantly easier. The weirdest fact was that his Spider-Sense extended toward his avatar. He was able to sense danger in the game and react accordingly. 

‘Easily the least weird part of my Spider-Sense. Compared to future sight…’ His brain tingled and he dodged the boss’ chainsaw projectiles. The chainsaws bounced off the walls. Miles held his breath. This was what killed him. It did not kill Felix, however. He was just built different. 

“Dude…” Miles watched in amazement as Felix dodged and dodged. “Dude!” Hit after hit after hit. Felix was hitting up a long combo. “Dude! Nice!” 

He executed the boss flawlessly and the two high-fived. Felix had reacted inhumanely fast, which was an accurate statement. He was an inhumane individual now. 

“Did you used to do speedruns or something?”

Felix rolled his shoulders, smirking. “Something like that.”

Rio was leaning on the kitchen wall, a warm smile on her face as she watched the two of them "Dinner's ready, boys," Rio announced, nudging toward the full table. "And I don’t want to listen to another second of that music. Turn it off."

“Okay…” Miles murmured, muting the TV. 

Felix handed the controller back to Miles, feeling a sense of contentment wash over him as they made their way to the table. Sitting down, eating and laughing and having fun, he thought to himself, ‘Yeah…I’m nothing like him.’ 

Halfway through dinner, Miles took out his phone and turned on the news. “Miles,” Rio warned.

“But Mom, they’re talking about Spider-Man!”

“Really? The NYPD? What, are they gonna announce another manhunt?” Rio shook her head. “Poor Gwen Stacy. I remember when they sent out the manhunt for her.” A second shake. “Those men in blue can be so annoying.”

The livestream of the NYPD conference appeared. Miles turned his phone to show it to Felix and Rio. Commissioner Karnik addressed the city and the media, her expression serious as she stood at the podium.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Commissioner Karnik began, her voice loud and clear. "Last night, the NYPD successfully apprehended several high-profile criminals who have been plaguing our city. The Inner Demons and the Maggia have officially lost critical support as their leader, Martin Li, has been arrested. All assets and information have been seized. As has been theorized, Martin Li was Mr. Negative, the enigmatic leader.”

“The NYPD did that?” Rio snorted. “Yeah, right. When did they get so competent?”

Oof. Talk about a burn. 

Commissioner Karnik continued, her tone grave yet resolute. "The arrest of Martin Li marks a significant victory in our ongoing efforts to combat organized crime and ensure the safety of the citizens of New York City. Thanks to the tireless efforts of our law enforcement officers, including the cooperation of Spider-Man, we were able to apprehend these criminals and bring them to justice. I would also like to mention Officer Benjamin Grimm who played a vital role in busting the many drug factories throughout the city.”

“Commissioner! Commissioner!” a reporter called out. “How do you know Martin Li is behind all this? Moreover, isn’t this going to cause city-wide issues? Martin Li’s company is very important in keeping shipments cheap and the economy in the city stable.” 

“As mentioned before, his assets have been seized, including his shipments. We can concretely say he was the ringleader for the Inner Demons. He was cooperating with Otomo, leader of the Maggia. There is no future for Martin Li here, regardless of economic repercussions.”

“Is it true that Frost International is planning to buy out Li Shipments?” 

What? That fast?

“I have no such insight,” Commissioner Karnik replied. “Please leave that to the companies in question.” She paused for a moment, allowing her words to sink in before continuing. "Instead, I want to express my gratitude to all those involved in this operation, including our officers on the ground, our detectives who worked tirelessly to gather intelligence, and our partners in other agencies who provided invaluable support. Even Spider-Man who helped take down Mr. Negative. Together, as New Yorkers, we have struck a blow against crime and sent a clear message that lawlessness will not be tolerated in our city."

As the conference continued, Rio and Miles exchanged glances. “Well, damn,” Miles said. “I bet it was all Spider-Man’s doing.”

“For sure,” Rio said, grinning. “I’m glad he’s here to pick up the slack.”

A smile crept up his face. Their comments, more than anything, made Felix glad to be Spider-Man.

12