Chapter 5 – Oscorp
458 1 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Mmmh…" Felix yawned and stretched his arms up into the air. "You up?"

Beside him was Reed, fast asleep. The kid must have tuckered himself out after their all-nighter. Felix let out a small laugh and gave Reed a little shake.

"I'm awake, I'm awake," Reed muttered. He yawned and rubbed his eyes. "What time is it?"

Felix checked the corner of one of the many monitors. "Eleven. We have an hour till work."

"Man…"

"You should be thankful. Starting at twelve is heaven compared to some other places."

"Okay, okay…"

"We really have to stop doing these all-nighters though," Felix said. "Dr. Octavius has started to think, I think. She might be chill most of the time but these days she's a little prickly. I think the higher-ups are frustrated by our lack of progress."

Their robotic helper Herbie had already set up a long table and breakfast.

"Good morning, Dr. Richards! Good morning, Mr. Felix!" Herbie cheerily greeted in his robotic tone.

Reed and Felix both gave a small and tired "morning" back as they made their way to the table. They sat down to enjoy their breakfast, still feeling drowsy and waking up with each bite.

"Can't we install a shower here? Seriously, this place stinks," Felix said.

"You mean you stink."

"No, it's us, trust me."

On the weekends, Felix would go home but other than that most of time was spent at the Daxter Lab. Yes, they continued to call it that because Felix really liked the reference. Still, the name didn't matter too much, the place was cool as shit. If not for the lack of showers, Felix might have considered living here.

"At least you have the excuse of being a teenager. I don't." Felix got up and smelled himself. "Ugh. Yeah, a shower is needed."

Reed scrunched up his face as he ate his food. "Are you going to that homeless shelter again?"

"Obviously. Free showers there." Felix glanced at him. "What? F.E.A.S.T is great."

"It feels like you're taking advantage of something that's not meant for you," Reed said in a low voice.

"You're right, I am. But I mean…that's life." Felix shrugged. "You get some, you lose some. Anyway…" He went over to the front door. "Mind opening the door?"

Felix's request wasn't immediately met. Reed sat at the table, deep in thought. Whatever he was mulling over, it took long enough for Felix to glance at him.

"You know what?" Reed said, suddenly getting up. "Screw it, you're getting Doctor-level access too."

The H.E.R.B.I.E system for both Herbie and the Fantastic Computer accepted three degrees of authority: Ally, Doctor, and Master. Reed was given the second designation—Doctor—whereas Felix was stuck with being an Ally.

Until now.

"Huh?" Felix blinked, both stunned and puzzled. "Why now?"

"Why not?" Reed beckoned him to come back. "You've been here with me for six months. We're cool."

A grin crept up Felix's face. "Yeah, we are cool. I'm cool."

Chuckling, Felix went back to the computer and the console beside the keyboard. Reed motioned toward the biometric scanner embedded within the interface. "To grant you access, we'll need a scan of your fingerprint and retinal pattern. Herbie has already captured your voice. This will be the final step to get you synced into the wider system."

Felix nodded and placed his index finger on the scanner. After that, he peered into the retinal scanner above. "Can I blink?" he asked as a red light scanned his eye.

"Please don't," Reed said.

"Ow!" Felix jerked his hand back. His thumb was bleeding. "What was that for?"

"A sample of blood is also necessary," Reed said. "Don't worry, it's protocol."

"Could have at least warned me," Felix grumbled, sucking on his thumb. The cut was quite wide and blood poured out nonstop. Nothing lethal, of course, but damn did it sting.

The main monitor illuminated with a series of intricate patterns and codes, registering Felix's biometric data into the system. A soft chime indicated the successful capture of his biological identifiers.

"Scan complete," the Fantastic Computer confirmed. On the monitor was a complete breakdown and successful capture of Felix's biometrics.

Reed keyed in a series of commands, configuring the system to recognize Felix at the Doctor access level. "You're all set, Felix. Your credentials are now synced into the system, granting you Doctor-level access."

The robot Herbie flew over to him, the emoji on its monitor reflecting joy. "Hello, Dr. Felix! It is a pleasure to assist you in the lab!"

"That's what you've been doing the entire time, Herbie," Felix said, smiling. He turned back to Reed. "But seriously, thanks. I'm…honoured that you gave such a thing."

Reed looked proud. "Of course! It's you—nevermind." The dark-skinned teenager rubbed the back of his neck, suddenly nervous. "Anyway, to the homeless shelter you go!"

"...yeah, that sounds kinda bad when you say it out loud," Felix admitted.

"Oh, here!" Reed opened up a drawer and handed him a brochure. "The manual for all the codes. Memorize them, okay?"

Felix took it and read the brochure. There were hundreds of commands. "Uhh, seriously? How many are there?"

"One hundred and twenty-seven," Reed answered.

"And you memorized all of them?" Felix asked, incredulous.

"Well, sure. Can't you?"

Oh, right. Even after six months of working together, Reed still thought Felix was a super genius.

"No, but, um…" Felix rolled his tongue in his mouth, thinking up an excuse. "Isn't Master Control just…you don't need this for Master Control, right?"

"Yeah, with Master Control, you don't need it. But neither of us have it so it's a pipe dream."

"How do you even get Master Control?" Felix asked. "Without the original creator, is it a lost cause?"

"From what Herbie told me, if after one year the Master Controller does not give an order, it will automatically give Master Control to the second highest authority."

"It determines that based on time, I assume? I doubt I'd be getting it."

"Precisely." Reed's eyes went in and out of focus. "For me, that would be…huh, next week, I think."

"Next week? That soon?"

Reed's lips fell into a flat line. "It has been that long since he passed away."

Well, things were depressing again. Great.

***

Six months. Six whole months of working at Oscorp.

At this point, Felix went there as if it was second nature. He checked his attire: black collared shirt, black slacks, and black sneakers. It veered on the casual side but it wasn't a huge deal. As long as he wore a white lab coat, it was okay. Dr. Octavius had a lengthy closet in her office storing the same white lab coat but in different sizes. She said it looked good on him and didn't care if he borrowed one for the day. In fact, she encouraged it.

But first, he had to greet Czarina. While Reed went directly to the elevator, Felix veered his path slightly to talk to her.

"Hey," Felix greeted.

Czarina briefly looked away from her screen. "Hello."

After six months, his interactions with Czarina hadn't gone past the basic hi and hello. Unfortunate but that was how it was. He suspected she was a little withdrawn due to the way men ogled her cleavage. If that was the case, Felix would be the first to apologize. He didn't mean to but, you know, hormones.

So he returned to his normal path and rejoined Reed, who hadn't noticed a thing. Somebody was already waiting for the elevator to arrive: Alistair. Sitting in his wheelchair, he immediately turned to pay attention to them.

"Reed, Felix," Alistair acknowledged. "Good to see you two again."

"You too," Felix replied. He noticed the small smile on his face. Alistair wasn't the type to openly smile at people. "Make some progress?" he asked.

"Have we?" Alistair said, his smile quirking up into a smirk. "You will just have to see, my friend."

Well, okay then. Guess he was going to be tight-lipped about it. Down the elevator they went. Felix was forced to separate from them since he had to get his lab coat.

"Hello, Dr. Octavius."

"Good to see you, Felix." Her huge mass of auburn hair, almost like an octopus', tilted up to reveal her smile. "Come for the lab coat?"

Felix casually opened the closet. "Yep."

"I hope you're making progress," she said. "The coat isn't just for show."

"We are, Doctor," he said quite dismissively as he put on the coat. "You look tired."

"Faiza isn't here today. She's my direct assistant, as you know, and when she's not here then my mind isn't properly here." Dr. Octavius chuckled.

"Hm." Felix double-checked the pockets. Last time, someone forgot their phone. "I hear Alistair's team is doing well?"

"You heard?" Dr. Octavius chuckled. "That's right. In fact, why don't we have everyone visit the current state of Project Oscorpeus. Get a fresh perspective."

"As long as it's a little before lunch," Felix said.

"We've got a deal then." Dr. Octavius wore a smile. "You know, you call me Liv now."

Felix adjusted the sleeves. "Aaah, well, I'm too used to it, Doctor. Plus, I respect you way too much."

She smiled. "Flattery will get you everywhere, Felix."

With that cheeky remark, he returned to the empty elevator and went down to B4, the laboratory. His team was waiting for him, Reed included.

Kavita Rao, the brown woman with black hair in a tight bun. With PhDs in mutant genetics and biochemistry, a big Star Wars fan, and a snappy personality, she clicked her tongue and said, "Finally."

Maya Hansen, the lady with the PhD in bioengineering and systems biology. She gave a curt nod.

Finally, Bobbi, the leader of the six-person squad. "Reed, Felix, good to see you. You're on time." She looked them up and down, squinting. She was checking to see if they were baggy-eyed. They weren't. Just last week, Reed developed a special cream that would hide morning blemishes. After months of trial and failure, it seemed to work and Bobbi said, "Good. Ready too."

"You better be. You see the way Alistair was rolling in?" Kavita handed Felix her clipboard. "We need to do better. We need to catch up. Now."

"Agreed," Bobbi said. "Everyone, let's get started. We will balance out twice as many formulas today."

Felix held back a sigh. Writing down reports and engineering mixtures. There was a reason he grew to dislike working at Oscorp. The money was fantastic but the way everyone treated him was less than stellar.

Someone tapped him on the shoulder.

"Don't worry about her," Maya said, apologetic. "Bobbi is, um, prickly since she got divorced last month."

"Oh, okay," Felix replied. He pretended not to know but he in fact was aware of her divorce, despite her not having told anyone.

Two weeks ago, while they were pulling an all-nighter, Reed accidentally asked the Fantastic Computer why Bobbi had been such a bitch to him. Neither of them expected an actual response, yet the computer spat out an answer: divorce. It was in public records so it wasn't illegal per say. Still, Reed felt guilty about it. Felix told him not to.

With a great computer should come great research.

That was why Bobbi was so prickly. Sometimes, she would be nice and other times she would be irritated. Her husband's (now ex) attitude shaped her mood for the day.

There was nothing he could do about it either. For the remainder of the day, Felix was an errand boy, an engineer, and part-time chemist.

Reed always kept an eye out for lunch. Like the dynamic duo they were, with a mere look, they knew lunch was upon them in twenty minutes.

However, they would reach a break before that.

"Hello, hello!" Dr. Octavius arrived, waving at them silly. "I see everyone is hard at work. I believe I promised one Felix Faeth a tour of Alistair's Project Oscorpeus?"

Bobbi blinked, then put a hand to her forehead. "Oh, right, that. Felix did mention that." The blonde clapped her hands together. "Alright, everyone, Liv is here! We are dropping everything to go to B2. Don't forget your cards!"

"Yes, ma'am," Felix said, sending Reed a smile.

Just like Felix said, they would be going to lunch early.

Their six-man team gathered round in the elevator. Each of them needed to swipe their cards in order to access floor B2.

"Sure is a lot of security," Reed said.

"We are one of Oscorp's biggest investments. Of course they want it well-protected," Dr. Octavius said.

"Soo…are there like security people watching us?" Reed asked.

"Exactly! Anyone that wants to go to B2 requires clearance from the security crew watching us." Dr. Octavius jabbed a thumb at the circular camera in the corner of the elevator. "They grant us access…"

The buttons turned green and the elevator started moving.

"...and boom! We go in."

It wasn't a long journey and the elevator quickly opened after ten seconds. Felix looked around as he stepped out. B2 was a corridor lined with metal doors, each labelled with cryptic codes and designations.

Approaching the first door to their left marked "P-OP2," Dr. Octavius inputted a sequence of security codes, her fingers dancing over the keypad. With a soft beep, the heavy door hissed open, revealing a sterile chamber within.

Inside, glass enclosures housing numerous specimens dominated the space. The room was filled with rows of containment units, each housing a multitude of tiny inhabitants — spiders.

Immediately, Felix was jittery. He didn't like insects but he certainly wasn't uncomfortable with them. Alistair was already inside, as was Jane Foster and Darcy Lewis. The three men and their lesser numbers was a vital reason for the tension in Project Rebirth II. They were essentially stacked with people, yet they failed to produce results.

Alistair and the doctors were different. They were somehow soaring through progress. Somehow, they managed to create a zoo of encased spiders.

"So, these are the spiders you've been studying?" Kavita asked, eyes scanning the intricate setups within the containment units.

Alistair didn't move, his eyes eerily focused on the containment room. "Yes, these are the results of our experimentation: radioactive spiders, capable of creating webbing stronger than steel and senses amplified by several folds."

Reed, ever inquisitive, peered through the glass, studying the spiders with fascination. "Interesting…"

With a keen eye for detail in machinery, Maya examined the monitoring equipment surrounding the enclosures. "The precision of these containment units and monitoring systems is impressive," she noted. "You embedded nanotechnology in them?"

"Precisely," Alistair replied. "Courtesy of Jane, of course. She was able to get a contact to construct these for us."

Jane stepped forward. "It's the least I could do. Sometimes, Alistair would go too far with the spiders."

"Doctor," Alistair warned. "Enough."

There was an awkward pause. Felix turned around and focused on one of the spiders. It crawled up a mini branch. There was a designation on its large back: Oscorp 65.

"Have you done human testing?" Kavita asked. "You do know the reason for this project? To use its blood to mirror the powers of Gwen Stacy."

Alistair didn't immediately respond. He looked to Jane, then Darcy, before eventually giving an answer. "We are…in the testing phases, yes."

That was code word for, "Yes, we did, but they failed." Felix could read between the lines. He had been at Oscorp long enough to be in the know of it all.

"I mean…" The quirky Darcy spoke up. "A radioactive spider, carefully harmonized and created through months of testing. Ordinarily, the radiation would be slowly killing it. That's an achievement in itself, right? Right?"

"Right…" Felix trailed off, staring at the spider. The world felt eerily silent as he stared at it. Almost as if its eight eyes were staring right back at him. "Wouldn't want that biting you."

"Certainly not," Alistair said. "If that were to happen, then—"

Alistair would never be able to finish his words, as alarms blared and the emergency lights flickered. The world went red accompanied by a shrill alarm.

"ATTENTION! SECURITY BREACH DETECTED. ENEMIES PRESENT IN THE FACILITY. ALL PERSONNEL, SEEK SHELTER AND FOLLOW EMERGENCY PROTOCOLS IMMEDIATELY."

Felix's heart raced. Panic swept the room. "What? What the hell is—"

"ATTENTION: EMERGENCY PROTOCOL INITIATED. LEVEL B2 CONTAINMENT BREACH DETECTED. ALL PERSONNEL, PROCEED TO DESIGNATED SAFE ZONES IMMEDIATELY. REPEAT, LEVEL B2 CONTAINMENT BREACH."

'Containment breach? What—?'

Suddenly, the steel door tightened by impossibly large bolts flung from its secure place, crashing into the spider casing.

In a matter of seconds, they were surrounded by men in black wielding heavy guns. Faces obscured and their voices talking into their radios. Confirming, unconfirmed, and speaking nonsense Felix didn't understand with all the chaos.

"I want every single one of you to put your hands behind your head!" A tall man garbed in black military-grade armour came up to Felix, his machine gun pointed right between his eyes. "NOW! HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEAD!"

23