Chapter Ten: The Clouded Vision
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Out of nowhere, the shrill cries of the Linsonus pierced through Valenius’ ears, while a liquid splattered onto his face, releasing a distinct metallic odor, and a loud thump indicated something heavy hitting the ground.

Valenius body trembling uncontrollably, Valenius cautiously opened one eye, dreading the sight of Linsonus waiting to strike as soon as he exposed himself.

Instead, he saw a man with a neat crop of brown hair and captivating blue eyes. However, one of the blue eyes had a faint greyish hue, as if a thin cloud obscured the pupil.

Valenius was met with a motionless stare from the man, who clutched a sword in his hand. The blade was smeared with dripping blood, and it emitted a palpable heat.

Just then, a jarring squawk pierced the air, followed by a swirling noise that made the man instinctively turn away from Valenius. His grip on the sword tightened, and his sword gradually illuminated in a vivid red hue, growing increasingly heated.

As Valenius peeked behind saw it was Eleantra who stood in front of the man and stared at him with wide eyes and opened mouth and shifted her gaze to Valenius and then back at the man again and she gave a big gulp and clicked her fingers and she turned back into the crow and flew away leaving Valenius alone with the stranger.

As Eleantra disappeared from sight, the man slowly lowered his head and loosened his grip on his sword as the sword cooled down and seeing its red light fade.

Valenius’ legs trembled as he fought to rise, his hand instinctively pressing against the searing pain in his side where Linsonus had clawed him, while his other hand strained to lift his sword.

The man’s gaze remained fixed on the floor until he slowly lifted his eyes to meet Valenius.

As their eyes locked, he tilted his head to the left, revealing his mismatched blue and hazy blue eyes. With a small smirk, he assessed Valenius from head to toe.

The man spoke in a soft tone, his words carrying a hint of curiosity. “By the looks of it, you aren’t from around here.”

Straightening himself, Valenius was at a loss for words, his head shaking in a mix of confusion and disbelief.

With precision, the man slid his sword back into its sheath, fastening it securely to his side.

As the man spoke, his tone grew more curious, and he inquired, “Are you from Earth, then?”

Valenius nodded in agreement, his eyes locked firmly on the man.

With a wistful smile, the man responded, “well, I guess that’s something we have in common. Earth was my hometown once.”

Valenius’ eyes darted to the left for a moment, his brow furrowing in deep thought, before they suddenly sparkled with understanding. In a hushed tone, Valenius asked, “Are you Val?”

The man nodded with a smirk.

“No way!” Valenius squeaked in disbelief.

Valenius quickly covered his mouth, embarrassed by the high-pitched squeal that escaped. His face flushed with embarrassment, but he quickly regained his composure and took a deep breath before speaking.

“So, why are you here?” Valenius asked, his voice filled with curiosity. “Have you been searching for me?”

“I am here,” Val said, shaking his head, “because I was in the vicinity when I caught sight of the Linsonus gliding through the air. It appeared to be in pursuit of prey, so I decided to track its movements.”

Valenius’s gaze shifted from the ground to Val, taking in the intricate details of her brown light armor suit, black metal gauntlet, and matching black pants and shoes.

Valenius then spoke, his voice filled with gratitude, “I am so thankful that you found me.”

Val responded, “No need for thanks, but we must hurry before another dangerous creature like the Linsonus discovers us. I’m unsure if it was a mere chance that it spotted you or if you were being hunted.”

As Val turned away from Valenius, a piercing whistle escaped his lips. The wind carcassed their faces, while a jarring of noise grew louder in the distance.

In an instant, Val’s faithful chestnut steed galloped towards them, halting abruptly before them.

“Where are we going?” Valenius asked, puzzled. “I was told to come here.”

Activating the map on his gauntlet, Valenius swiftly located the marker suggested by Salintus. He pointed to it.

Val looked at Valenius with a puzzled expression and asked, “how did you acquire such a cutting-edge gadget? Last I remember, Earth wasn’t technologically advanced. And who instructed you to go there?”

Valenius responded, “Salintus gave me this gauntlet and instructed me to go there. In terms of technology, we have made significant progress in recent years. For example, we now have smartphones that allow us to browse the internet and find anything we need. We can even capture videos using this small device. Additionally, there are individuals who are actively working on developing self-driving cars.”

Smirking with intrigue, Val asked, “Ah, I see. Earth has changed since the last time I was there.”

“When were you there last?” Valenius interrupted, his tone filled with curiosity.

As Val looked down at the ground, his voice took on a softer tone. “I think it has been many years, but I cannot say for sure.”

Valenius asked ,“Why.”

Val returned his gaze to Valenius, a smile playing on his lips. “It’s difficult to comprehend the passage of time in this world compared to Earth,” he began, “but I’ll explain later. For now, we should head to the place where I feel more safer, then Salintus suggestion. Let’s go.”

Val mounted his horse and gave a helping hand to Valenius, and together they ventured into the foreboding forest.

While making their way through the forest on horseback, Val decided to pause and observe their surroundings. The gentle rustling of leaves and the melodic chirping of crickets provided a peaceful ambiance.

With a swift dismount from his horse, Val immediately set about building a fire, Valenius’ eyes fixed on him, absorbing the process with a watchful gaze.

As they sat next to the crackling fire, Valenius and Val enjoyed the comforting heat, while Val passed him some food from the saddlebag.

They sat in silence, their focus solely on consuming the food until Valenius finally broke the silence. “You know,” he said, “when I read your letters, I couldn’t help but feel like it could’ve been me from a different life. After all, we are in the game.”

Val scoffed, his eyes narrowing, as he answered, “Yes, despite the fact that we entered this place through a game, it’s a completely different world. So, it’s crucial that you shift your mindset and understand that you’re no longer playing a game; otherwise, you won’t be able to survive for long.”

With a shaky voice, Valenius apologised, said, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to offend.”

Valenius’s voice trailed off, and he took a brief pause before resuming, “Your letters saved me on at least one occasion. If I hadn’t found your letter in the safe room, I might not have been as cautious and stay hidden. Who knows what I would have encountered? So, thank you.”

As Val spoke, he nodded and said, “No need for thanks. I wrote those letters with the intention of giving those who come from our home a better chance to survive. I’m pleased to see that they have achieved exactly that.”

With a touch to his pocket, Valenius could feel the crinkled paper and his heart racing with anticipation. He quickly pulled out the first letter he found.

“I don’t have any use for it anymore, so you can have it,” Valenius said. And passed it to Val.

Memories rushed back to Val as he looked at it, taking him back to the day he wrote it years ago when life was easier and more fulfilling.

Val then rolled up the parchment and passed it to Valenius, instructing him, “Keep it and when you reach the safe room, leave it there so someone else can be saved by my advice. Now, I think it’s time for me to rest.”

Valenius gave a nod of agreement before they both retired for the night.

xxx

I am looking for reviews for The Swords of the Unforgotten Memories now; if you would like the free book, in return, you will leave an honest review and help me out at the same time; the link is below.

https://booksprout.co/reviewer/review-copy/view/151664/the-swords-of-the-unforgotten-memories-secrets-beneath-the-ripples

I am also a Youtuber who streams indie horror video games, if curious check here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDNjvVKfY9Q7BAxlC_SoMJw?sub_confirmation=1

To know more about me and what other projects I working on, please check my website https://www.sheenaoloughlin.com/ (if you are gamer, there is a page you might appreciate!!)

I would love to know your feedback, especially for this chapter. I want to grow as a writer and the reader, i.e. you. Your opinion matters. So please provide feedback if you have time.

For advanced chapters (when written), discord access, voting, etc, please check out my Ream account: https://reamstories.com/sheenso

Thank you for reading, and I am looking forward to publishing the next

0