Chapter 6 – Sleepover
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After finishing a harmonious and extremely delicious dinner, Ain retreated back to his room with Cheleb.

Today went better than he could have ever anticipated.

Many nights before coming here Ain had thought about how his first day at his new home would go, but never had he imagined that everything would go so well.

If he were to disregard the actual first day of the marriage then right now he lived better than he ever had before.

The Duke did not dislike him, the servants were nice and the food was good.

For what more could he wish?

And the garden…

He really longed for their visit tomorrow.

How long had it been since the last time he was able to walk outside freely?

Thinking about the past Ain’s mood dropped a little.

He should be careful not to make any mistakes, Ain thought melancholic, since he didn’t want to lose this newfound happiness.

Maybe he should also make it clear that he didn’t mind if the Duke and his true love met, this could secure his place here.

He didn’t mind only acting as the ‘true wife’.

Ain was completely lost in thought while Cheleb brushed his long hair.

A question from Cheleb woke Ain up.

“Say Mister…”, he trailed off.

“Mmm?”

“Do you feel scared here?”

“…What?”

Cheleb stuttered.

“I - I mean it’s a new place a-and you don’t know anyone, s-so I was just a bit w-worried…”

Ain was stunned.

The boy who was afraid, no, feared him just this morning was now worried about him.

Of course, he had seen that Cheleb was much more relaxed around him after that staring incident, but wasn’t that going a bit too fast?

His shock must have been apparent, as Cheleb hurriedly tried to explain.

Ain didn’t even need to look at the other’s soul to know that Cheleb was anxious again.

“Ah, I didn’t mean to be rude! I- I just thought that maybe you would be like me when I first came here…”

“When you first came here? You are not from here?”, Ain asked.

He wondered if Cheleb came from a village far away.

Maybe Ain could ask him to share some stories, as Ain was curious about the world outside his window.

But a second later he regretted asking, as deep sadness and …fear started welling up in Cheleb.

“Sorry. I shouldn’t have asked.”, Ain hastily apologized.

“It’s okay. Didn’t I say this morning that I want to overcome my fears, that’s training! ”

Just as fast as sadness came, it was gone. Just a trace of fear remained.

Ain was astonished by these quick emotional changes.

Cheleb probably had some deep-rooted fears.

He guessed that the boy must have experienced something truly horrifying.

Remembering how the Duke had stroked his back when he had a panic attack, Ain decided to reach out his hand towards Cheleb to comfort the other.

But he didn’t reach Cheleb’s back and only bumped awkwardly into his shoulder.

Deciding that the shoulder is better than nothing, Ain patted it a few times and said, “You don’t have to rush. It’s fine if you don’t want to say it.”

“You are really nice! I have never met a human as nice as you!”

Suddenly Ain was hugged hard from behind.

Stunned, his body grew ridged.

Only after Cheleb let go of him was Ain able to think about what he had heard right now.

Human?

Why did he get called a human again? Isn’t he also one, Ain wondered. How weird.

Before he could mull over the deeper meaning of Cheleb’s words, the other already started talking again.

“When I came here I was scared because everything was new and unknown. But Orin took care of me, especially on the first night. So I thought now it’s my turn to take care of you!”

After a short pause, he added, “Of course only if you want.”

How could anyone refuse such genuine intentions?

“Truthfully, I also don’t like unknown places. They scare me a bit.”

Happy at his response Cheleb began to plan their evening together.

Listening to Cheleb’s chatter, Ain smiled.

Although Cheleb might not behave like an attendant, Ain didn’t mind.

On the contrary, he guessed that must be how it felt to have a sibling, who liked you.

It felt nice.

. . .

Once it was time for bed another problem arose.

Let Cheleb sleep in his bed or not?

Ain sighed as he lay down next to the other.

Of course, the question only had one answer.

Ain really couldn’t bring it over his heart to tell Cheleb to sleep on the floor or on a chair.

So what? It’s only another night of sleeplessness in return he (probably) got a friend.

Just a little sacrifice.

“Tada!”

Cheleb shouted as he held something Ain couldn’t make out clearly.

“I thought that we could read a book together. Reading always makes me sleepy.”, he laughed sheepishly.

“I read a bit and then it’s Mister’s turn. In that way, we will both get sleepy.”

Cheleb sounded really proud of his idea.

Every cell in his body seemed to say: Praise me!, Ain thought.

Sadly Ain had to disappoint the other.

“I can’t read.”

Ain watched Cheleb closely, to not miss any emotional change.

Would he ridicule him? Maybe he would insult him or-

“No problem! Then only I will read.”

Thrilled he added, “That means it’s a good night story!”

What a strange person.

“Don’t you think it’s strange? A son from a noble family can’t read?”, Ain whispered.

He couldn’t refrain himself from asking the other.

Cheleb fell silent for a while. Then he whispered back.

“Well. Didn’t you say it yourself? If you don’t want to talk about it, then you don’t have to.”

The only response Ain could give was a muffled “Mhmm.”

Strange. They were all strange.

From Cheleb, who was too nice for his own good, and Muscae who despite not liking him still treated him respectfully.

To the Duke, who didn’t just abandon his unwanted wife somewhere.

Truly strange.

While he was distracted by his thoughts Cheleb had already started reading.

“The young boy only had one dream, to become the greatest giant frog rider the world had ever seen…”

Slowly Ain drifted off to sleep.

. . .

The next day the two of them set off for an ‘estate tour’ as Cheleb called it.

He was convinced that once Ain was familiar with the estate, it would not be scary anymore.

So after breakfast, Cheleb began to show him around.

Arm in arm.

Although Cheleb had said they were only hooking arms because he liked walking like this, Ain was sure that the other had noticed something.

“Here are the servant quarters. As the name suggested the servants live here. My room is here too!”, he said proudly.

“Mister you also don’t have to worry about needing to remember too many names. Only a few people work here besides the guards.”

Cheleb began counting.

“Let me see. There is Muscae, you met him already yesterday, remember? He is the Master’s assistant, but in reality, he is more like a girl for everything.”

Cheleb gossiped and Ain had to chuckle.

“Then there is Nashira, she is responsible for the library. If you want to know something you have to ask her. She knows everything. ”

Keep away from the librarian, Ain noted down.

Cheleb continued.

“There is also Maia. She is the cook here. Everything she makes tastes wonderful. We absolutely need to visit her, but I guess today we won’t make it, because of the meeting with the Master later.

The same goes for the library. It’s so big we can spend a whole day there so let’s go another day.”, he added.

We don’t need to, Ain thought silently.

“So who is missing? Ah! Orion! But he is away right now, so you will get to know him later.”

Cheleb hesitated before adding in a low voice.

“There is just another unimportant person. No need for introduction.”

“That’s everybody who lives here?”, Ain asked disbelieving.

“Yeah! I guess compared to other noble houses it must be a lot less.”

Ain chose not to comment because in his eyes there were a lot more people living here than just two handfuls.

If he had to guess the number was closer to a thousand handful…

Little Theater:

Cheleb: See there are really not many people here!

*Ain raising one eyebrow*: I may be blind but I’m not blind.

1