Chapter 5: I’ll just use you too!
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 I don’t know. I just don’t know anymore. Why is it that my life is like this? I worked hard to get into a good school—hoping for a bright campus life filled with parties and clubs. I never fail to betray myself, do I?

 The massive silhouette in the sky, dark, defined. It was a creature that he’d seen many times whenever he played games. Socially awkward, he soloed—telling himself that he’s cool for doing so and when he cleared difficult adversaries.

 But at its majestic sight, its size, its atmosphere. It was refined—sophisticated even. Henrik was forced into a gaze, unable to look away. Thoughts circulated in his mind.

*Chortles*

 I can’t believe it. It’s a dragon! Like? Really? A real dragon? Is it like the games? In relieved… Dammit, why didn’t I notice sooner? I now have supernatural abilities! It must be that monster’s fault that I didn’t realise it earlier… I made a fool out of myself.

 Trembling, unlike his pathetic display from earlier, Henrik’s chest crunched, prickles and sparks; it was like fireworks going off. Quietly, he snickered to himself. Unnoticed and sneakily, he escaped the others.

 Finally, finally! FINALLY! My life has always been dull. I never needed friends in the first place; I always made it on my own. Why was I afraid? What changed? Was it that I expected something different? Why did I try to change? Isn’t being alone and doing whatever you like more fun anyway!? I-I’m free—

 “Where are you going?”

 Abruptly, a voice rang in his ears. It was sombre, cold—and it was the voice he resented.

 It’s the fucker who bound me, humiliated me and tarnished my dignity! Or so I want to say…

 “Y-Yes, do you need something?”

 “No, I don’t.”

 “I-I see…then I’ll—”

 “Be going where?”

 As if thrown in a lake, Henrik shuddered as his follicles straightened. The inquiry, while simple, Henrik could not find it in him to reply. He gulped. Not even saliva could force his fear down.

 No…screw you!

 “Why do you care?” Henrik resentfully lashed out with a horsed, loathing voice. “You almost killed me, humiliated me, and now you’re in my way?!”

 Getting ready to attack, Henrik gathered wind at his palm and glared at the scumbag who tarnished his dignity—Alum.

 Calm and composed, I hate guys like you the most! Pretending to be all cool and manipulate those around you! Egotistical narcissist!

 In a fit of rage, Henrik had gathered intense winds. “Screw you!” he cried and threw it toward Alum—who stood still as if to judge him. By the second it soared through the air, it screeched as it tore the ground apart.

 He’s still not moving!? Shit, am I going to become a murderer?!

 For that brief moment, Henrik’s mind sunk into a dark place—while he was only there for a split second, he snapped out of it and regained control over his attack, which barely missed Alum in its trajectory.

 Sick bastard…

 Unbothered, Alum walked up to Henrik, placing his hand on his shoulder. “Not bad, now, go back,” Alum said before heading toward the others with his back wide open. Henrik was left speechless; the touch was brief, but his shoulder felt warm.

 His voice…wasn’t arrogant or cold?

 —

 After the brief encounter with Henrik, Alum found himself in a dark atmosphere. The glint he saw from a distance was now but ash and ember. The people around, while dark, Alum could still make out what expression they bore.

 Did something happen? None seem injured. Did they succumb to misery?

 Saving his inquiry for later, his eyes wandered and looked for Emely, but she was nowhere to be found. He felt his chest tighten, and his body slowly heated up. Albeit brief, his worries calmed as he saw the shelters.

 But it was odd. Nobody was paying attention to him. It was as if he was a ghost. Of course, it didn’t bother him much because people often pretended he wasn’t there.

 “What happened here?” Alum turned his head to ask Henrik.

 Averting his eyes, Henrik’s expression became grim. “Well…they seem not to have the will to live. We saw a massive dragon-like creature before I encountered you… As it flew past us, terror. It left us unable to breathe—it suffocated us merely by its presence…” 

 “I see.”

 “…Then, as you said, something changed. We can hear insects, howls and cries. There is a flock of animals over there…the place is now filled with life. Ironically…”

 “Thank you,” Alum said. But, for whatever reason, the downcast eyes stared at him with bewilderment, and Henrik was no different.

 “You’re…welcome?”

 Alum then noticed something peculiar. It smelled of something grilled; it smelled decent, and in the corner of his eyes, he saw peels of a root-looking fruit. Other than that, there were some other greens.

 “Did you all eat?”

 “Yes?” Henrik replied.

 “Alum. You’re not going to say anything to me?” a sudden voice hushed.

 Alum turned to face the speaker. He poked the ashes with a stick and scattered the embers as if playing with them.

 “Who has the ability to discern what’s consumable or what is not?”

*Chuckles*

 Not very surprised, Noel laughed at the reply he got. “Seriously, that’s what you’re asking? And…what will you do once I tell you?” he questioned coldly.

 “I’ll assume it’s Miu then,” Alum calmly replied.

 However, Noel was not amused, and flames erupted. The fire that was but embers burst into life. His eyes were filled with anger. But then. Sorrow. And the flames slowly faded along his anger.

 “Yeah, it’s Miu,” Noel sighed. “So? What will you do?”

 “Simple curiosity, that’s all.”

 As though tension was never there, Alum approached Noel and sat down. An awkward but sad smile surfaced on Noel’s face as he looked down at the ashes.

 “You know, I’ve always known why you kept the windows open,” Noel said out of the blue.

 “…Whatever do you mean?” Alum asked in a way that he didn’t have a clue.

*Soft laughter*

 Noel couldn’t help but snicker. His eyes met his seemingly bewildered friend. He took a deep breath; nostalgia filled his lungs, as did the cold back then.

 “You know, I met this interesting guy. He cherishes strange things at times, cold but oddly sweet,” Noel mused.

 “Oh, who, I wonder?” Alum asked, indulging him.  

 “Well, when I first saw him, I thought, damn, there’s another hot dude besides me—”

 “What are you? A narcissist?” an unfamiliar voice jest.

 “Hmm? You don’t think I’m a hot guy, Julia?” Noel teased.

 “Oh shut it, will you…” Julia replied somewhat bashfully.

 As if stroking a beard—an imaginary one, Noel grinned and turned to the others, and the flames came alive again. The others may not be interested, but…a story time might not sound so bad, they all thought.

*Ahem*

 Noel cleared his throat. “As I was saying, there was a hot guy beside me, quite literally now, too, aha-ha!”

 “Noel, we get it!” the others played along.

 However, Alum felt troubled as he knew what Noel was about to do.

 “Yeah, yeah! Fine, I’ll continue. So, I first tried speaking to him, only to be ignored…”

 “Sucks to be you, man,” a comment flew by.

 “Yeah, right? However, I persisted!”

 “And where did that get you?”

*Chuckles*

 “A somewhat awkward friend? Or, well, how should I say this—”

 Alum, who had only listened thus far, said, “Noel, you should stop talking.” Unlike what they might’ve expected, a somewhat sheepish voice rang in their ears. 

 Most were utterly confused, and a burst of laughter erupted. Having heard the commotion, the people hiding in the shelters showed themselves—one being Emely. As soon as her eyes were laid on Alum, she ran with all that she had. Alum braced himself and got up, catching her as she leapt into his arms.

 “Al! I was so worried!”

 Her voice was shaky, and her eyes were overwhelmed by tears, and it all came rushing out. Despite her many hours of sobbing, feeling her heart crushed by her request, guilt weighed her chest and made her unable to breathe properly.

 Alum gently patted her on the back to comfort her. However, something eerie tolled his mind.

 “Huh? Lena, where’s Miu?” Noel asked one of the girls.

 Confused, Lena looked around, and so did the other girls. “Huh?” a big question mark hovered above them. “Wait… where’s Miu!?” Lena exclaimed in a panic.

 “Calm down…” Noel said. His eyes wandered to Ida. “do you know?” he inquired.

 A short reply came back. “I don’t,” Ida shrugged.

 “Umm… I might know…” a girl with shoulder-length hair said.

 “Oh? You know where she is, Maya?”

 “Yeah… I think she went for a walk…”

 Noel and the others froze. Swirls of emotions suffocated him, and he found difficulty in uttering his next words as though his body was ablaze.

 “She what…?” he managed to utter.

 Miu, you…why!?

 When he was about to run to find her, somebody grabbed his hand and stopped him.

 “…Alum?”

 “You should stay,” Alum calmly said. “I’ll go look for her.”

 “…Why?” Noel reluctantly queried.

 Why am I asking? What do you mean why? In this state, will you be able to find her? You’re not even acting rationally and are about to head out to danger…stupid me…

 “What? Is it because she’s useful?” Oliver jested.

 Alum sadistically replied, “Yeah? So what?”

 “Then I—”

 Before Oliver could say he should be the one to go, Noel cut him off. “No…I think it’s better if Alum went.”

 “What?! Noel, are you sane? Do you hear yourself? Did you even hear what he called her? Useful and a tool!?”

 Noel shrugged. “Well, you were the one that said it, Alum…kinda agreed. However, as you are now, I don’t think I trust you being alone with Miu once you find her,” he bluntly said.

 Oliver gritted his teeth. “I wasn’t going to do anything,” he said, heading toward the shelter.

 Noel turned towards Alum—who’d already left. He let out a sigh. Looking to the side, he saw a distressed Professor with her hands clutching her chest—a worried expression filled with tears that was about to burst.

 I’m slightly jealous, not gonna lie…

 —

 It was already dark out, and the camp was but a distance away. The insects hummed, and the roars and cries of animals echoed wide. The night was slightly chilly and damped. But…amongst all the cries. Sobs and sniffs chimed more clearly.

 That’s where she is…

 Seeing a similar tree, he increased his speed. It was humid, and he easily glided as if skiing on ice with refined control. Shortly thereafter, he stood before a crying girl with her face buried in her knees. However, despite the obvious noise he made, she would not look up.

 Was she ready to give it all up? No, she does not strike me as such.

 “Miu,” Alum called out to her. But no response. He tried again. “Miu.” But this time, she looked up with teary eyes. “Your eyes are red,” Alum said.

 “…Obviously, but…you’re not referring to the actual colour of my eyes, are you?”

 “Well, no, even though you have such a refined pair of rubies.”

 Miu snickered at herself. “Stop the flattery, will you…” she hushed somewhat dejectedly. “What about you? You’re all tattered; you’re basically more pale than me, even though you shouldn't be. Is that how you meet a girl at night? I give you a score of zero.”

 “First, I’m not flattering you. Second, I do agree, I suppose—I…just stumbled a little.”

 “…..”

 “…..”

*Sigh*

 “You aren’t going to tell me to get up? Pull me up and drag me back?” Miu asked.

 “Why?” Alum questioned with a head tilt.

 “…you… Never mind.”

 Moments passed, and Miu wouldn’t get up. Still, Alum stood there silently—until Miu became unable to handle it anymore.

 “Hand…”

 “Pardon?”

 “Give me your hand,” Miu commanded.

 Right…helping her up—

 Or so he thought. When he took her hand, she pulled him down, but he didn’t sense malice in action; thus, he closely observed until he was on the knees and about the same eye level. Miu patted on the ground beside her, signalling him to sit. Just like that, he moved over and leaned on the trunk.

 “The sky…it’s clear and star-filled, don’t you agree?” Miu abruptly mentioned.

 “I suppose.”

 “Did… Did you come to find me only because I’m useful?”

 “I suppose.”

 Having heard the same reply twice, Miu bumped her head on his shoulder. “Ouch…” she moaned.

 “That’s on you,” Alum dismissed.

 Still, instead of moving, she rested her head on his shoulder—still holding his hand.

 “If you’re using me, I’ll just use you too,” Miu said. “You already saw it all after all…”

 “…Feel free.”

 But…as Alum spoke those words, the hands that trembled firmly held on, this time, shakier, and the feeling of strains of smooth, silky hair tickled his throat. Slowly, he felt his shoulder become damped, and the sorrowful sobs and whimpers reemerged.

—You get another. Zero points.

1