Chapter 10:  Young Boy
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 If I have to, I’ll kill them myself. No. Restrain yourself. This vile, uncontrollable, detestable loathing—why did you leave me with it? That night, you could’ve just killed me.

 “P-Please! I don’t—”

*Bang*

 With the release of the trigger and a cry of a plea, blood scattered on the walls along the sharp echoes of a bouncing shell.

 “Ah, what a pain,” a large, muscular man said while cracking his neck. “Is this really okay?” he asked.

 “What is?”

 “…You’re really asking? I mean, I’m fine having to do your dirty work, but this guy is...”

 “You’re a gun for hire. Why complain?”

 Frustrated, the man scratched his hair, and his glare fell upon a young-looking boy. He had a calm, indifferent expression with a small bloodstain on his cheek. The boy observed the corpse; then he searched it.

 “—Hey, you shouldn’t touch it…” the man voiced in reluctance.

 The boy didn’t listen and took a wallet from the dead man. He closely looked at what was inside, and after moments of scanning through the content, he tossed it toward the large, muscular man.

 “Do what you want with it. Get rid of the corpse and erase all traces as discussed,” he coldly said before turning his back and walking away.

*Tsk*

 Easier said than done. Brat.

 —

 “—Haha, Nick. How did it feel getting bossed around by YB?” a cheerful voice echoed in mockery.

 “Jess…fuck you, you knew and let me take on the job. You didn’t tell me the kid was after some huge ass mafia group!” Nick exclaimed his frustration as he took a seat. “Shit…” he cursed under his breath.

 “Well, you wouldn’t take the job if you knew. Besides, Boss likes YB and has a vendetta against that group as well. Their goals align and—”

 “Only I didn’t know…?”

 “Pretty much.”

*Sigh*

 Looking around the office, he could see some of his co-workers holding back their chuckles. He heaved a deep sigh as he cracked open a soda.

 “So…? Where is he now?” Nick defeatedly asked.

 Jess shrugged. “He promised his guardian to be home at least a few days of the month. At least that’s what Boss said,” she nonchalantly answered.

 …This is a fucking joke.

 With those thoughts in mind, a slow, creaking noise itched across the office. Entering was a sophisticated old man in a suit. His grey hair, along with his gentle yet sharp eyes, scanned across the room. His eyes darted toward Nick, and a wide smile flashed across his face.

 “Oh, Nick, how was working with YB?”

 Nick scratched his head, hinting at frustration. “It went smooth, I mean… I know I don’t have a lot of brains, but that brat smoothly took care of everything and isolated the target in a chilling manner…”

 “Oh? I’m curious: how did he do it this time?” the old man asked.

 “He feigned ignorance and acted like a normal kid his age. He pretended to run into the target and act lost—as per the target’s data, his daughter was just born, and as expected, he’d become soft toward children.”

 “Oh? We use children sometimes, but he put himself out there this time, huh?”

 “Boss, what do you mean?” Nick queried.

 “Well… The last time was blackmail. The one before that was framing, etc. Anyhow, I assume YB planted a bug? What happened after that?” Boss curiously asked.

 “…He didn’t even need it. Somehow, and I don’t understand. Somehow, he led the target to a desolate tunnel where he had me stationed…”

 “Hooo?” Boss bemused while stroking his beard.

 “Anyways, Boss, I didn’t know you had a vendetta against such a huge organisation,” Nick reluctantly voiced.

 Boss shrugged. “Well, neither did I.” He chuckled. “YB came to me one day, and who do you think is the actual head? It’s Ted, the fucking bastard who betrayed us.”

 “The very same that killed Samuel…?”  

 Boss gritted his teeth and clenched his fists. He heaved a sigh to calm himself. “That’s right, that same bastard—”

 “Boss! We’re surrounded!” a voice suddenly cried out as the wooded door flung open.

 Boss raised his brow. “Elaborate…” he harshly spoke. But before his subordinate could utter a single word, on the wall was a television he couldn’t take his eyes off.

 Breaking News! Two major criminal organisations are currently under crackdown! The heads of these organisations are William Jones and Jeff Brown, who go by the names Boss and Eye.

 Boss could feel his body boil, and sweat ran down his forehead. His eyes swam around, and panic among his subordinates spread like wildfire. But he could only blankly stare at the television.

Jeff Brown? Not Ted Moore?

*Boom*

 A sudden explosion shook the whole base, and the faces of his subordinates paled upon noticing where the explosion had occurred.  

 “Our vault…!” they exclaim. Another cried, “Boss! All emergency escape routes are blocked! Don’t you have a secret one you haven’t told anyone about!?” they plea.

 “YB…the only one not present right now…”

 Nick’s utterances rang in their ears amidst the chaos. They all came to a halt and began to laugh. “Fuck he got us…” they all muttered and gave in to their defeat. Boss, however, hit the wall behind him with such force his hand and the wall broke.

“YBBBBBBBBBB!” he furiously screamed his lungs out.

 —

 “Phew, it seems like the crackdown is going well,” a man in his forties said while leaning on the tunnel wall. “Don’t you think so? YB?”

 YB indifferently walked past the man, but before leaving him behind completely, he glanced briefly at the man. “Ted. Are you certain you had access to all their escape routes?”

 “I could ask the same,” Ted playfully replied.

 YB turned his gaze and started to walk. “I did. By the way, Ted? Do you remember? Well…not that it matters at this point,” YB said chillingly.

 “Remember what?” Ted inquired as he reached his hand down his pocket.

*Bang*

 Without looking back, a loud bang and thud of a collapsing body and the ring of a bullet shell echoed throughout the tunnel.

 There’s no need for criminal scum like you.

 “That was highly dangerous, Boy,” A voice suddenly called out to YB. “So he planned to kill you too…?” he remarked.

 YB’s steps did not stop echoing as the voice from behind spoke to him. “Isn’t that why you and your squad are here?” YB spoke.

 “…That’s true, but how did you know he was about to betray you? His men waited outside—well, we took care of them. But still…”

 “Did you forget that Ted killed his own leader? This snake will betray anyone—”

 “And so will you.”

 YB halted. “If I have to,” he replied. His footstep echoed in the tunnel as he continued, the flickering light and the humming sound of the bulbs. All of it became static white noise as his mind blanked.

 —

 When Alum slowly opened his eyes, his mind was blank, and the sound of humming electricity rang in his ears. His eyes wandered; his vision slowly became clear, and he was greeted by a vast green plain basked in the orange sunset. There were animals in the distance, and the chirps of birds sang a woven melody.

 What a fuzzy dream… I don’t recall what it was about. But it couldn’t have been anything pleasant.

 He felt suffocated; his chest was tight, and his legs were numb, bubbling and tingling. Around his neck was the blue crystal serpent; it was resting while a small amount of static electricity hummed from its body.

 Slowly, he attempted to grab the snake while trying not to wake it up. But as soon as he touched its crystal-like scale, a ticklish spark between it and his finger cracked—awakening it. The serpent gazed into Alum’s eyes in a curious manner. However, as Alum started to cough blood again, it discharged electricity.

 Alum could feel his aching body heat up, and his pained chest became lighter—shockingly, the electrical discharge caused him no pain—rather, he felt much better.

 …It was healing me all this time? Alum questioned in surprise. But…it doesn’t feel painful…why? He abruptly noticed.

*Chuckles*

 “What a strange serpent,” Alum uttered. “I won’t become food if I’m healed and well, you know?” he questioned in a somewhat gentle and relaxed manner.

 The serpent slithered to his right arm, embracing it—then turning to face him with a curious look. Slowly, it made its way to the ground and made itself bigger as if standing up.

 Is it telling me to get up?

 Assuming it was telling him to get up, Alum’s numb body began to move as he reached for a nearby branch to pull himself up. As he got up, the serpent slithered around his legs and slowly made its way up his body, finally reaching its destination—wrapped around his neck as its head rested on his shoulder.

 You must be the first snake to be kind to me. But can I accept this kindness, or is it another deceit?

 

0