Chapter 5: A Bloody Start
150 6 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
A new chapter
Make sure to join the discord to get all the latest updates
https://discord.gg/vaGGTw8v67

Skipian Army
1km North of Gibraltar

Lieutenant Hackney hated his job; his father had sent him off to join the legions, to 'learn to behave properly', just because he had some useless peasant whipped for bumping into him. How was this fair? His mother, Countess Elizabeth had said that the people were just there for them to toy with as they felt like.

Now he had to serve under Colonel Burns, another peasant upstart who had risen the ranks because he was favoured by Prince Leonel, that peasant sympathiser. Pfft, he spat at the mere thought of the man whose faction had grown in strength by allowing those filthy things to serve in the higher echelons of the 2nd Legion and the Royal Fleet.

He had been tasked with accompanying Colonel Burns with three other lieutenants, one from each of the additional battalions and one from the General's staff, they were to parley with the so-called 'leaders' of this 'city' in the wilderness. There were no nobles here, just more peasants, they should bow their heads and thank him for letting them keep their petty little lives.

As they arrived at the midway point between their army and the pitiful fortifications of this 'city', a part of the gate moved to the side, at least the cretins had something resembling a drawbridge, and some kind of box moved out of it towards them, it resembled a carriage but had no horses. It must be some new kind of magical contraption from the Amel Empire. How had some backward city got their hands on it, before he could. Those conniving bastards.

The 'carriage-esque thing' arrived in front of them and 4 men got out, they were holding some kind of stick in their hands, they dared to hold weapons in his presence, how dare they, no matter, they were just barbarians with no training, nor armour. They were just holding sticks, what could they do to the magnificent him? He looked up at the 'carriage-esque thing' to see a man on top, behind something on a stick. How dare he not present himself before him, and grovel at his feet.

"Get down here you filthy cur!" He screamed out at the man, not caring at all for his superior's attempt to stop him.

When it was apparent that the man was not going to do as he said, he drew his sword and waved it at the man in front, warning them not to act carelessly in front of him.

Bang!

He felt something hit his chest, pushing him backwards and almost throwing him off balance.

Bang! Bang!

Something else hit his chest, throwing him backwards onto the floor. Intense pain flared up through his chest and into the entirety of his body. His compatriots drew their swords, and he heard more bangs before they were also sent to the floor, blood splattering over the ground. He saw a look of terror smeared over the foolish Colonel's face before his eyes closed forever.


Major Tobias Rogers

As the man drew his sword and swiped at him, Tobias jumped backwards, beginning to aim his rifle, but his men had already gunned the man down, and his cohorts right after. Well, the negotiations had gone well, well if aggressive negotiations counted. He chuckled at his little joke and got back into the car, some people were not going to be happy.

As they drove back onto the base, he was greeted by Captain Griffiths and Major Clark, who both looked as if they enjoyed what had just happened. "Well Major, I didn't think you had it in you," the marine said joyfully.

"I did what I had to, it was self-defence. But we now have a shitstorm on our hands."

"We saw the man draw the sword on you, it was never going to end well anyway," Major Clark pointed out.

"It is however unfortunate that we aren't going to be able to negotiate our way out of this though," Tobias said.

A chorus of cheers sounded out from the enemy army, sounding their attack. They marched forward, with the cavalry retreating to the rear and the flanks, and the archers moving up to the front.

"Get the helis in the air," called out Tobias.

British pilots rushed to the already fueled and armed Apaches, starting the engines

When the army reached a distance of around 300 metres, a shout sounded out, and the archers loosed their arrows.

"Take cover!" Tobias shouted to the British troops, with many men ducking behind buildings and the many vehicles that had been set up behind the fence. Arrows fell around them, with one man screaming out in agony and another following in quick succession. Unter the hail of arrows, the Apaches were forced to the ground, with multiple systems being damaged by the arrows. The Typhoons that had also started their takeoff, also had to abort as any amount of debris, no matter how small, could be sucked into the engine, destroying it.

"Return fire, take out the archers!" called out Major Clark into his radio, while narrowly avoiding an arrow that flew just past him.

There was a loud rattling noise from the 50cal machine guns that released a torrent of bullets onto the unaware archers.

Boom!

Loud successive booms were heard from the artillery far off behind the front line and then explosions rang out from among the enemy forces. Men cried out in agony while limbs flew off them and shrapnel pierced their bodies. It was a massacre.


Napier of Magdala Battery

Once it had become clear to the enemy fleet that there was no way of landing anywhere along the south or east coast of Gibraltar, they instead headed for the harbour and as such, Major Victor Wells moved in kind. Because the harbour was so large, he distributed his men along it with the artillery, mostly where old artillery batteries were.

He was at the old 100-ton gun battery along with 30 of his men and 5 L118 Howitzers. The 100-ton gun was still there, restored to its former glory as a museum piece, and although it would never again be shot, it would witness this glorious battle.

He heard Major Clark's order and the sounds of gunfire over the radio. It had truly come to this. As the fighting had already started, he gave the order.

"Fire on those ships, I want them all at the bottom of the ocean."

With 16 howitzers, he had left 4 atop the rock in case another threat presented itself, they made quick work of the ships, each howitzer firing 2 shots in under 10 seconds at the 20 ships. And those 20 ships were now at the bottom of the ocean.

"Major Wells, to command, what are we doing about survivors in the water? Over," he asked.

"Command to Major Wells, after the battle is over, the Marines will take them into custody, for now, take your men north to support Major Clark and Major Rogers, over." He sighed, well the battle wasn't over yet.

"Come on men, get to your vehicles," he called into the radio.

If you spot any mistakes, feel free to let me know in the comments

Please share this book with your friends so that more people see it

Patreon
Ko-fi

 

4