Arc 1 Chapter 11: Echidna’s Cradle (2)
213 5 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

How long had it been? Hours? Minutes? Each wasted moment felt like an eternity, and I couldn't even tell how many of those moments I had wasted.

At some point, while trekking through this nightmarish dungeon, trapped in by walls of rusted steel, I had lost track of time. My vision was tinted red, and I was sure that I was covered in blood. Just by tilting my gaze down, I could see the stuff dripping off of me, onto the cold steel floor.

By now, some of it was definitely my blood, but the majority of it came from the obstacles that continued to block my way. After that first set of trolls, I had run into a stampede of demon boars, about 20 or so, all with incredibly curved, sharp tusks. Tusks that jutted out, ready to impale me at any second. Their eyes were different from the mindless versions outside. Their eyes were strangely conscious, filled with a tangible hatred and aggression.

I killed them, tricking them into impaling each other, and then breaking their necks. Though some did manage to stab me once or twice.

Hellslimes appeared in my path afterward. They were burning orbs of demonic, liquid-like fire that threatened to scorch and singe away every piece of you, if you let them even attempt to stick against your clothing. Compared to the slimes outside, which just seemed like slightly more aggressive Fire Slimes, they were blights - a pest capable of destroying entire cities from the outside in, if in large enough numbers.

Reaching through their semi-permeable bodies, I endured the scorching burns, my durable skin resilient against the infernal pain. With a relentless grip, I seized their cores and crushed them utterly.

While I was reflecting, monsters again appeared in my path, blocking me from walking any further. However, they seemed a lot less certain of their attempt on my life than the last ones did.

I didn't even know which they were anymore, but did it matter?

I wasn't strong enough to get through this dungeon unscathed, even despite the low level of these monsters...but they would die, no matter how I accomplished it. 

With a silent, single movement...I closed the gap between me and the next of my prey.

It wasn't even a fight. At this point, I had fought these monsters so many times, observed them so much, that it felt like they were all way too predictable. The sensation was similar to what I had felt against those goblins, or how I felt when I mimicked Aurum's clawed fighting style with my bare fists.

There was...something. Something that made it easy to read

In the state of mind I was in, disconnecting myself mentally to fight at my maximum efficiency, there was a new sensation in my head, a discovery clawing at the back of my mind.

I was on the cusp of something...and this impossible quest was making me achieve it, bit by bit. The only problem was...

"I don't think I'm going to be able to finish it before I get to Echidna."

I smiled, leaving another trail of broken monster corpses and blood in my wake.

I didn't want to, but I did originally guess that I'd have to use that mechanic, after all.


[3rd Person Pov - Arianwen]

"We can leave the Demon Boars to the common guards. My unit, with me towards the Lesser Oni."

In the small barracks building for Aureal's guard stood Arianwen, her emotionless voice giving out orders to a mass of armored knights that stood in front of her.

They were holding various steel weapons, their gazes never faltering or trembling, despite the situation outside. It was an unprecedented monster invasion, the likes of which had never been seen on this small battlefront.

Honestly speaking, they were ill-equipped, ill-manned, and ill-prepared for this attack. Even if they repelled it, there would be serious damage, maybe even worse than the property damage caused by the Imps. 

Aureal was, at worst, facing complete and utter annihilation. 

There were already casualties, on both the side of the guard and the villagers. Why weren't the mages or knights that came alongside the royal family doing anything?

Even if Arianwen was strong, she was not strong enough to take out the armada of monsters invading the town single-handedly, not without using every bit of energy she had...and who knew what else was on its' way?

These monsters had seemingly just attacked out of nowhere, there could be even more in wait.

And Thomas...where was he? For the first time in ages, she had checked his room, but he wasn't there. He had clearly broken out of his room, leaving by the window.

Everything that could go wrong, was going wrong...and like always, she suddenly became indecisive, knowing how many lives were on the line. Knowing her son and disciple's lives could be on the line.

"Captain."

One of the members of her personal unit spoke, their voice hardened like the steel they were wearing. The other guards had already left to carry out her orders to wear down the weaker Demon Boars, leaving just her unit there, standing at attention.

"We will always follow your order. You know that, don't you?"

Those words...

"Phew..."

She let out a deep breath, her impassive look returning. Arianwen, once the strongest knight of the kingdom, focused herself. Once again, she had become a calculating machine for battle.

"Let's do this. No matter how it turns out, this will be our last fight together. We will make it a successful one."

"Yeah!"

Each and every one of them replied without hesitation, raising their weapons to her rally. They had fought together thick and thin for years, with Arianwen knowing all personally from her time of service directly to the crown. They were the most trustworthy allies that she could ask for.

She walked past her unit, leading the group out of the barracks.

At least, she tried to, but she was blocked at the last moment by a familiar small, black-and-gold silhouette. 

Descending with refined skill but a subtle rush, Aurum, the protégé of Arianwen, landed squarely in front of the building's entrance. The shimmering dust from her golden wings dissipated into the air behind her.

Instantly, her gaze fixed upon her teacher, filled with a desperate fervor that eclipsed even the motherly concern present in Arianwen's eyes. Yet, buried deeper still was a blazing rage, a primal wrath that Arianwen had observed only once before on Aurum's face.

"Teacher...let me help out."


"Finally..." 

By the time I spoke again, my voice was weak. Faint, like a whisper. I was hurting all over, but my vision was better, at least. I wiped my eyes clear a while ago, deciding that wandering around blinded was probably not the best way to face a named demon.

Even if, in my case, there was technically no right way for a person like me to face one.

I had stopped in front of a large, black metallic door. It had far less rust and age compared to the rest of the dungeon. In fact, it looked brand new, shining mysteriously. With my increased mana sensitivity, due to Intelligence...I could tell that something was slightly off about it. 

Obviously, this was the entrance to Echidna's 'chamber'. The place where she was forced to sleep either until something forcibly disturbed her rest, or the time for her revival came. 

But it was far different from how it usually was in the game. The visual was the same, but the feeling was directly opposite of how the game mostly described it. 

You were supposed to be able to feel the malice leaking from every inch of the entrance's frame. A ceaseless malevolence that represented the pure creation of hatred and spite that was a named demon. 

However, what I sensed from beyond this door wasn't malevolent at all. It didn't even feel like an energy to be wary of at all. It almost felt...pure, to describe it in some way.

Still, it didn't faze me too much. Echidna's ability was to modify and create nearly anything biological. Who knew what sort of odd creations she had made, that could give off that kind of energy? She may have even modified herself to do that, perhaps to catch the intruder of her dungeon off-guard. 

...but a named demon - especially not one with no sentience like Echidna - should be capable of making a plan that complex. In fact, she should still be asleep until the moment of her revival arrives, or until I open this door.

The power of a Treasure? No, Named Demons didn't use Treasure. They only had mysterious power, a power that never really went explained in the game.

In front of this door, I felt my resolve wavering. I didn't know what to expect, and suddenly being confronted with something I couldn't just mindlessly kill brought me back to my senses. Still, no matter how I felt, there was really only one choice. If I didn't keep moving forward, I'd die.

So, I opened the door.

Suddenly, an unimaginable sight unfolded before my eyes. Instead of the usual cramped, dimly lit boss chamber typical of the game, this place stretched out before me expansively.

A boundless sea of clouds unfurled before me, stretching into infinity. It dominated the entire sky, a spectacle beyond comprehension. As I glanced downward, I noticed a surface below, gleaming with a pristine clarity. Though it resembled water, my feet remained dry, adding to the surreal atmosphere.

My surroundings were brightly lit, despite there being no discernible sun, moon, or magical lighting, making this place feel more odd than it already was.

I took a cautious step forward, and the moment I did, it was as if a curtain was being pulled from my eyes. I saw her.

fQMm7q8.jpeg

A figure descended from the skies with a free-flowing grace, to the point that it barely seemed like she was moving. Four wings sprouted from her back, and her slim figure was outlined by a simple white dress. There was a halo above her head, and behind her, rings of magical energy that seemed to turn the surroundings a deep orange.

The clouds split as if to signal her arrival, and the water rippled out from where her feet touched it.

I wasn't sure if I was amazed, frightened, or shocked at that moment. The figure approached me slowly, each step on the surface rippling it outwards into infinity.

This is uncharted territory. This definitely was not a demon, but it wasn't anything else I knew, either. Nothing at this stage of the game should have this sort of appearance...

Compared to the damp, dark, stagnant energy that filled the dungeon, this was way too pure. She - was way too pure. I had no idea what to make of it all. However, it did remind me of one thing.

The first meeting that the player had with the one and only true Goddess of this world, the deity of all treasure, fates, and fortune, Tenebi. His meeting with her was what would've enabled him to defeat the demon Echidna in the first place, utilizing the overpowered energy from a Godess' directly-granted Treasure.

But that was impossible. This...being, was certainly not Tenebi. And there existed only one god in this world.

Then she spoke. 

"You know who I am, don't you, my child?"

My?

Her words, alongside the fact that she was even capable of talking at all - was strange, but they rang true. Even if she looked indescribably different, even if she had no trace of demonic energy on her, and even if I had never seen this form before...

"Echidna." 

She walked closer, and I could see a smile spreading across her face. Though I couldn't see much beyond the silhouetted vision of her face, as if something was blocking me from recognizing the rest of her facial features.

"That's right. However, despite coming here to kill me...I'm sure you must have quite a few questions, instead."

She waved her hand, and with it, a simple set of tables and chairs suddenly appeared in front of us, like a chapter in reality had been turned to reveal it.

"I apologize for the display. I'm running low on both time and power, you see." 

Echidna politely apologized, walking towards the table and gently taking a seat. Her overwhelming power seemed to dissipate in an instant, the world around us calming into a beautiful blue again.

"Now...take your seat, would you? We have much to discuss, and little time to do so."


Opposite me sat the mysterious being called Echidna. She gently sipped a steaming hot cup of tea while leisurely sitting in her wooden chair. All was silent between us for a few moments. 

Honestly, part of me wanted to immediately launch into trying to kill her - I was on a time limit with a countdown I wasn't sure of yet, after all. But I realized that was just my instincts talking...killing instincts I had forced myself to bear while dealing with this place.

Another part of me appreciated the breather. I was still covered in blood, wounds, and exhausted from fighting for what may have been hours straight, by now. 

It wasn't too long before Echidna spoke.

"Earlier, you called me Echidna. I did answer to it, considering that it's the only thing I could be called, these days. However, being honest, that is not my true identity, or my true name. It is the name forced upon me by the one who also forced my previous form upon me."

She took a breath for a moment, and I didn't bother interrupting.

"I'm sure it must be confusing to you to hear that. But I haven't the time nor the care to explain that to you. I'm sure that you don't care much to hear my story, either. I only wish to hear the one question you have on your mind." 

I was confused, definitely.  But she was also right in knowing that there was just one thing I wanted to find out. One piece of information I desperately needed in order to understand this utterly incomprehensible situation.

"What...are you?" 

Echidna placed her teacup onto the table, her shadowed gaze landing on me for a bit. Maybe she was studying me, or deciding how to answer. I would never know. She eventually spoke, and her answer was far beyond anything I thought possible.

"A good question. I am...or, once was, what you would refer to as a 'god'. One of the many goddesses under creation, that is. A remnant from the old world left behind, in favor of this one...and the mother to your race, of which you are the only one left."

I was sure that my eyes were widened as far as they could go.

There were other gods? Named demons were once gods? There was an old world? I, Thomas, was from some sort of special, unique race that was somehow separate from regular humans???

I brought a hand to my head, feeling a surging headache. I had come here expecting a fight to the death, not a piece of information that made the entire world of Treasure Quest feel like a lie.

"I suppose that would be a large burden of anyone else in this world to hear. However, the proof lies in the fact that 'she' has not directly interfered due to you learning this knowledge."

"Okay...this is a lot to take in, and honestly, I don't know if I'm the right person to hear this kind of information. Why did you change, and why are you telling me this?"

She smiled again, her expression just as mysterious as before.

"Of course you're the right person. You...are possibly the only chance me, and those of my brothers and sisters that agree with me have to fulfill our long-lost desires."

I stared blankly at Echidna. To be frank, the way she spoke about it as if she were planning on using me in some capacity slightly ticked me off. Still, the ridiculous words she were saying just made me want to push forward.

"And what are those long-lost desires, exactly...?"

She took a sip of her tea, placing it back down with a gentle sigh.

"Why, killing the 'goddess' of this world, of course." Echidna spoke, matter-of-factly.

...

What.

Sorry about yesterday, guys. Had a bad day and was tired. Had a migraine all day today but I worked through it for the chapter. Hope you enjoy.

14