Chapter 04
72 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I hit yes quickly as the monitor screen powered off and I reappeared back in the doctor's little lab.

"You sure took your time coming back. How was it?"

Now back in my proper new world, my mind wandered to what my friends could have picked. Allen was probably already swinging fireballs at the nearest combustible thing he was allowed to burn away.

"It was fine. It's not an easy choice to make."

The doctor looked at me with a bit of a confused look on his face, his eyebrows raised and his head tilted.

"Choice?"

Not a moment sooner, a face I hadn't missed made his way into the room.

"Prince Alexander, how may I help you?"

The doctor spoke first. The prince responded with his typical smile as he made his way closer to me, grabbing my left hand.

"Liam yes? Please allow me to inspect the results of your calibration."

Though in what I assumed to be typical princely fashion, he didn't give me a chance to answer and used whatever magic he needed on the Wheel to get its answer.

The blue video game pop-up that I had grown fond of appeared displaying its results to everyone.

[Class: Sage. Grade F. Level: 1]

Alexander's smile was proven once again to be unwavering, as he simply let my hand go without any sort of emotion on his face. Surprise? Happiness? Disappointment? He showed none of it, which was worrying in itself to me.

"Your friends are in the courtyard. Please speak with them when the opportunity presents itself."

With those words, the prince was gone as quickly as he had appeared.

"Is the Sage class considered rare?"

"Likely, I haven't met a Sage before. And I meet a good amount of people in this kind of work."

The doctor shrugged and redirected his attention to the many objects on his desk, and I took this as my sign to leave and meet up with my friends. I exited the room and went back down the stairs opposite the way I had come in originally.

This world's citizens still eyed me with a vague amount of interest. It was hard to blame them, I was still dressed in the clothes I had on in my previous life. Which.... thinking about it, was a somewhat grim thought. I should get changed when I can.

Stepping into the courtyard, it finally dawned on me how much time had passed while I was alone with the doctor. The sun that had been directly overhead was now an hour or two away from setting if my sense of time could still be trusted anyway. Maybe the days in this world lasted 30 hours, there's a lot I should find out soon.

My friends had already gotten a change of clothes. Various leather pieces of clothing above what resembled more typical clothing from my world. A plain 't shirt', vests, and comfortable-looking pants.

"Look!-Look! Liam!"

Allen shouted first as he saw me approaching the group. I could feel the excited energy from his smaller stature from half a dozen meters away. With seemingly intentional hand movements, he created a bowling ball-sized- well, ball, that he juggled between his hands.

Seeing magic like this from fairly up close was exciting. Especially as that sort of thing felt out of my grasp for a while longer.

"I'm a Pyromancer now!"

His shout could be heard as he hurled the fireball as far as he could against a stone wall. It left no real damage, but it did leave a small black scorch mark.

More interestingly, Pyromancer? I don't remember getting an option like that. Was he not a sorcerer?

"Woah- you made a good choice. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one of those."

"Right? Fire doesn't burn me anymore either, it's part of my class passive!"

Immunity to all fire attacks?! Seriously? Wasn't that super OP? Could he go swimming in volcanoes now? Such a strong class and it wasn't one I even had the choice to pick!

"What did you guys get?"

"I'm a Chronomancer!" Victoria answered first, clearly feeling better than she had been since I last saw her.

"I actually got 'King' as my class." Mark went next.

"I got Mystic Duelist," Joseph responded with a shrug, clearly not feeling one way or the other about the class he got.

That was 2 more classes I didn't have the option of picking. Not to mention that Mark actually got King!

"What did you end up getting?" Joseph asked as I responded with a similar shrug.

"Sage. It's a learning class."

"That makes sense. You study magic and all that stuff yeah? You gonna grow one of those long white beards too?" Mark joked. We all let out a small laugh before Victoria threw something small toward me.

I just barely catch it and find it to be a pair of keys.

"We get our own little shacks. Probably because Mark got some big shot class." She continued with a small giggle.

"Can you believe the Prince came down to see him when he heard the news?" Joseph inquired.

"Yeah? He checked what I got too, right after I was done."

"Well, that was probably because he was worried since you took forever in there." Victoria chimed in.

A few nods went around the group as they all agreed that it made sense.

 

 

 

I spent about half an hour with them before the sun was almost completely set, and we all split up towards our respective shacks. It wasn't hard to find its location. Everything still took place on the castle grounds, and while I doubt we were forbidden from leaving to see the rest of the city, it was probably a bad idea until we learned more about everything.

Victoria may have called it a Shack, but it was a well-sized building that I didn't have to share with anyone. It was all made of wood with carpet on the inside. A single story, a bathroom, a kitchen, and a bedroom-living room combo that was essentially just a really big bedroom.

I had to admit, it was nice, and nowhere near bad enough to be called a shack. I had almost expected living conditions that felt like I slept under a staircase. I opened the cupboards and drawers and while they were a bit creaky, they came with everything I could think of.

Kitchen utensils, plates, spare clothes, even a weapon rack! Not that I had a use for one of those yet, but it would look super cool once it was properly filled out.

I changed out of my otherworldly clothes and set them in the closet, which I had one of thankfully. I put on the cotton clothing and found it to be comfy enough. I'll have to get used to no longer seeing a plastic tag on the back of my shirts now.

The bed itself also exceeded expectations. It was bigger than I was used to and very soft. The 'Sink-in-the-mattress' kind of soft. Like a lot of things, it would take some getting used to.

For my first day in a new world, I'm glad nothing major has gone wrong yet. A really big part of me was just relieved I got any sort of ability at all. I'll have to learn how to properly make the most of my Sage class, especially since it felt like I was already falling behind. Allen was already making and throwing fireballs and the others had some rarer classes.

I guess the same could be said for me.

5