Chapter 01
358 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I keep finding myself in these situations.

I was sitting in the back of the car, thinking about the comfort of my own room. The music was loud enough that I couldn't even see properly. People I called friends laughing and shouting over each other as they tried and failed not to spill their drinks.

I wasn't the type to call them out for their wrongdoing. That's obviously my fault, and it'd be harsh me to not to admit to that. A car full of freshly graduated high schoolers with more alcohol in their system than should be possible. That didn't include me. I was the only one here that didn't have a drop of the stuff in me.

Its not like I'm some sort of saint either. Everyone was drinking at Mark's house, celebrating and enjoying their time. Someone would have to drive everyone home once the party's settled, and that was me.

That part wasn't said out loud though. It was never even discussed. If someone had to stay sober for everyone else sake then it should be me. Maybe I did it because I wanted them to see me more favorably, or maybe because they'd get rid of me if I wasn't the one to volunteer myself in these situations. Or maybe that's just what I thought. I'm not completely sure.

It didn't matter anyway.

When they wanted to go for a joyride, I didn't have the guts to stop them.

"Can you give me my keys?"

I should have just said no.

"I don't think that's a good idea."

Maybe if I had more spine.

"Its just for a bit. You can come with us to make sure nothing goes wrong."

He's letting me come with them. How so very kind of him. No one else in the friend group needed this kind of explicit permission. Just another moment to add to my list of proof that friendship is a one way road.

Whatever.

"Here."

I cant even say that it was a bad idea in hindsight. Truth was, it was a horrible idea from the start and I knew it.

Thats how I ended up finding myself sitting in the passenger seat behind the driver. Music blaring so loudly that I couldnt hear it anymore. Alcohol spilling on my pants without anyone apologizing.

I wanted to go home.

But here there I was, babysitting grown adults.

I rested my head against the car window, feeling its vibration in my head and teeth. It was thanks to this view that I was the first and only person to see the semi truck that would inevitably hit us dead on.

Damn. It looks like we ran a red light.

 

 

One, two, three, four, and five including me. We all laid on the hard cold ground. I could hear them all slowly waking up, one by one. I might have been the first to wake up in this place, but I was the last to get up.

It was odd for it to be so quiet around them, but the reason was quickly apparent as we were surrounded by a bunch of robed figures, their faces hidden beneath their hoods.

No one dared to speak first, and I wouldnt be the one to break this unspoken rule. It was easier this way, not like anyone was looking towards me for guidance.

The room was dark, and if it wasnt for the bit of light that leaked through the open door, id have thought it was night.

Through the open door, a tall man walked through, followed by what id consider classic medieval soldiers behind him. Their armor was one of the few sources of noise in the chamber as the tall man approached us.

He was finally the one who would speak. His voice was deep, refined, calm, and charismatic. Except I didn't understand the words he was saying. It was in no language I recognized.

In fact, he wasn't even speaking to us. The words he uttered were directed at one of the robed men, who was in purple robes instead of blue, clearly some sort of higherup.

Purple robes nodded before pulling a small black sphere from one of his long sleeves like it was a magic trick. He held his hand out towards me, motioning that I should take the ball from his hands.

Unfortunately, I was the one closest to him, and the burden of his choice had fallen on me. I did a quick turn towards my friends to see if anyone was interested, but they all kept their guard up.

That was okay, I dont blame them. It was my job to do these sort of things anyway.

I cautiously grabbed the ball from his hand. I wasnt sure what to do with it, but that question answered itself when the ball jumped and escaped my closed hand. It flew in quick circles in front of me for a few seconds before stretching and taking the shape of a bracelet that automatically attached itself to my left hand.

I panicked slightly and shook my hand instinctivly before I saw it.

[Language Calibrated. Default Language can be changed in the settings.]

"You understand me now, yes?"

The tall man spoke once again in that same somewhat charming voice he had used earlier, yet I could properly make out his words this time.

"I can."

He gave me a wide smile in response, clearly satisfied with himself.

"The device youre wearing is called a Wheel, itll allow you to speak to anyone in this world with no issues."

I suppose it did resemble a wheel in some way. Black, plain, uniform size, and whatever other features wheels had.

"Do you have more wheels please? For my friends?"

I looked back at them once again, and their eyes had a hint of fear in them. It probably looked like I was speaking gibberish all of the sudden, and their worry was showing.

Not that it was worry for me, just- worry for their situation. I can tell.

"I've already sent someone to fetch a Wheel for all your friends. We had not expected so many of you to arrive today."

I nodded my head as I saw a blue robbed figure hastily make his way from past the shining door with a small box. Both me and the tall man had stopped talking as we waited for my friends to put on the device.

After watching the sphere spin and stretch to a bracelet 4 more times, we were all on the same page.

"It's a pleasure to be speaking to you all, travellers. I trust you have all had a safe trip here?"

With a snap of his fingers, a white bright flash forced me to close my eyes and we were all back in the car. At least, I think thats what happened. I was back in my seat with my head leaning against the glass, looking directly at the truck driving towards us.

Nothing was moving, and I couldnt turn my head to check on my friends either. Time and I were both frozen, and my vision flashed white once again and I found myself back in the same dark dungeon-like room I was just in.

5