Chapter : 44 Breaking shackles
259 5 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leaning against the bathroom wall, Bane stood in silence while the cool water cascaded down his face, washing away the dried blood. His blue eyes remained half-open, savouring the sensation of relief as fatigue was washed away.

After thoroughly cleansing himself, Bane changed into a fresh T-shirt, a brown coat, and jeans. As he finished dressing, he retrieved a white metallic belt shaped like a snake from his spatial storage device and secured it around his waist. 

After that he went near the sink and picked up his mask, which was lying on it, observing its worn condition.

The old mask bore various scratches and cracks, with dried blood staining its surface. It had been his companion for five years, surviving numerous battles alongside him. To the people in the revolutionary base, the demon masked persona was known as ‘Immortal Wraith,’ not Leo.

Despite its deteriorated state, Bane cherished the mask, considering it almost like his own body part. However, he knew that its time was limited, just like any object meant to wear out over time.

Disregarding its condition, Bane proceeded to wash the mask in the sink, carefully removing the dried blood until it was clean once more.

After washing the mask, Bane held it in both hands and shifted his gaze to the reflection in the mirror. The person staring back appeared slightly more human than before, after several years of wearing the mask.

The red hollow spots that covered his face, except for his eyes, which still remained a horrifying feature. He was still bald, with no eyebrows, but his overall appearance had improved slightly over the years. The healing effects were related to Jörmungandr, although Bane remained uncertain about the reason behind it.

Bane pondered the mystery of why his condition hadn’t improved despite the healing effects of Jörmungandr on his outer appearance.

‘There are some tasks that I must complete in the coming months,’ he thought to himself, reflecting on the upcoming tasks that he had planned out.

‘Perhaps I can find something in that notebook to cure my condition’ he thought but paused for a second as another thought arose in his mind, ‘maybe there’s a way to revive Liy-...’ he trailed off, stopping himself from entertaining impossible hopes.

Bane refocused on his next task, which was to gain knowledge about Teigus from the diary and the potential trump card they possessed. He donned his mask, observing the masked persona staring back at him in the mirror.

.

Upon reaching the meeting room, Bane used the handle to open the door, only to pause in surprise at the bewildering sight before him.

At the centre of the meeting room, Tatsumi stood surrounded by three beautiful women while he was completely unclothed from the waist up. Najenda held him from behind, and Akame leaned on his chest, cradling his head.

Even more absurdly, Leone was crouched in front of Tatsumi, clutching his fallen pants, with the only consolation being that Tatsumi’s lower undergarment remained in place.

After processing the scene in his head, Bane couldn’t help but wonder, ‘Did I make a mistake joining this team?’ However, he refrained from voicing his thoughts in front of the others.

Without giving them a chance to explain, Bane simply stated, “I should come back later,” almost closing the door again before hearing collective shouts from inside the room.

‘“STOP!”’

The collective outcry came from Leone and Tatsumi, prompting a hand to prevent the door from closing.

Leone swiftly intervened, using her remarkable agility to reach the door and prevent Bane from closing it. “It was a misunderstanding, Bane,” Leone explained with a forced smile.

“No, it’s fine. I can return later. You guys can finish your business,” Bane insisted, still attempting to close the door again.

“I already told you, it was a misunderstanding. Don’t you understand me?” Leone’s face twitched as her tone grew louder as she utilised Lionel’s transformation to break through the door itself.

Bane, still gripping the door handle, stood there in shock. ‘Was breaking base property allowed?’ he wondered, but before he could dwell on it, Leone leaped at him and pulled him inside the room.

Inside, Bane was met with a red-faced Tatsumi, covering himself and clearly embarrassed. Najenda stood with her hands on her hips, a smirk playing on her lips. Akame, seemingly unfazed, checked Tatsumi as if it were a routine matter.

Najenda took out her cigarette, lit it, and after a drag, she spoke, “We were just giving Tatsumi some extra care,” finishing with a smile.

Leone, aware of her boss’s playful nature, quickly intervened. “Don’t take the boss’s words seriously. Let me explain the situation. We were simply checking Tatsumi’s body. Do you understand?” Leone hurriedly clarified to clear up Bane’s misunderstanding.

Bane glanced at the blushing, naked Tatsumi, who shook his head in agreement when their eyes met. Bane then looked back at Leone, nodding slowly before saying, “I understand.”

Najenda chuckled at the scene. “Ha, it’s quite lively, isn’t it?” After regaining her composure, she assured Bane, “Don’t worry, it’s exactly as Leone said. Akame was just concerned about the newcomer after his first mission, and we were simply supporting her.”

Tatsumi, still in his boxers, approached Bane excitedly and thumped his chest. “I am now an official member of the Night Raid’s assassination unit after completing my first commission,” he proudly announced.

Bane, aware of the details already, responded, “Is that so? Congratulations then,” feigning ignorance. He glanced at Leone, who was grinning at him, indicating that she had indeed sensed Bane during the day, while he was trailing them from far.

‘What a monster.’ Bane thought internally.

“I have to say something to you, Bane,” Tatsumi said, capturing Bane’s attention. 

“I’ve learned from the boss that you prefer solo missions, and you have your own reasons for being in the Night Raid.” As Tatsumi said to Bane. 

He paused for a second as he started to speak again, “I respect that, and because of it, I will not be in your way during your personal vendetta. I am also new to this profession, but I will prove myself and try to catch up with all of you soon.” He declared.

“So, as a teammate, please, when the time comes, consider relying on me even a little. I’ll do my best to support you.” With determination shining in his eyes, Tatsumi extended his right hand towards Bane.

The room fell into a hushed silence as everyone awaited Bane’s response.

Bane, facing Tatsumi, looked into his vibrant eyes of the young man that reminded him of his deceased teammates from his previous team. 

He saw the ethereal forms of his fallen teammates behind Tatsumi, smiling at him as each one of them had fought numerous battles together, sacrificing themselves during missions.

Sero, a burly man who like to cook despite his muscular stature, Sena, a petite woman who was skilled in rifles, Kevin, a bald short-statured man who acted as bard during their free time, and others who had once ventured into the outer regions eliminating imperial settlements were all friendly towards Bane despite his quiet nature.

Among them was a blond-haired man with numerous scratches on his face, emitting an aura of authority. He was Bane’s team leader.

He looked Bane in the eye and said, “Hey brat, you look more lonely than before.” He sighed as he asked,“Do you think you are so incredible that you alone will be able to achieve what you want?”

Noticing Bane’s lack of response. He moved to stand in front of Bane, then bent down to make eye contact with him. 

After a moment of silence, he commented, “You were never really talkative or open about yourself with us. Maybe it’s because of your rough past.”

He sighed as he said, “You weren’t the fastest, nor the strongest, or skilled in handling weapons, but you had one exceptional advantage over your peers, your resilience. It was both a boon and a curse for you. It tormented you, but also kept you alive, even in the most tumultuous situations. Perhaps that’s why you survived while the rest of us didn’t,” he said, acknowledging Bane’s unique regenerative powers.

Placing his hand on Bane’s shoulder, he continued, “All of us fought for what we believed in, and we died for the same reason. It was our decision to fight for our beliefs. We don’t blame you for surviving alone, Leo. So live for what you believe in.” 

Shifting his gaze towards Tatsumi, he said, “I won’t tell you to give up on what you’re looking for. That’s up to you. But don’t let the present slip away while chasing the past. Learn to trust and be trusted.”

With a smile, he turned his head and locked eyes with Bane, then disappeared along with the others, leaving Tatsumi all alone in Bane’s view.

“...........” Bane kept quiet as he saw his previous team leader fade away.

As everyone inside the room watched Bane, expecting a response, Tatsumi’s hope began to wane. 

He thought that Bane would reject his proposal, but to Tatsumi’s surprise, Bane stepped forward and extended his hand, shaking hands with him.

“……Okay.” Bane said.

Tatsumi, who was downcast just a second ago, beamed a bright smile and shook Bane’s hand excessively, filled with happiness. He even seemed like he wanted to hug Bane.

“But first, put on your pants. I’m not into men,” Bane remarked, dampening Tatsumi’s excitement. Tatsumi felt his enthusiasm pummeling. He was reminded that he was still naked. 

Leone giggled, as she couldn’t resist teasing the situation. “Looks like Tatsumi’s making moves on you, Bane. Maybe you should consider his proposal. You two make quite the exceptional couple,” she joked, turning on her taunting mode.

‘“Shut up,”’ both Bane and Tatsumi said in unison, causing Najenda and Akame to burst into laughter.

12