Chapter 13: The Prophecy
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leonard Eldori was a human warrior who lived long ago in a time before the land was liberated from the clutches of evil magic and corrupted beings, a time when darkness and dread could easily loom over the land and taint it with their evil influence.

The warrior rallied together a group of misfits who possessed the talents and capacity to fight—as well as individuals who also shared his own ideals and goals of eliminating the darkness that was gradually spreading throughout the land. 

Thus, he became the first human revered as a hero who united all species with a common cause.

Eldori, a small village that once served as the hero's birthplace and a peaceful refuge from tyranny and darkness—had blossomed into a thriving and mighty empire now known as Eldoria in the aftermath of the hero's triumph over the Shadow King. There followed the prophecy that was foreseen by the hero himself soon after his victory.

"What was the prophecy again?" The third child questioned.

"Jeez! Even you don't know?"

"Well, do you?"

"W-Well.. that, not entirely," the boy fumbled over his words before attempting to defend himself. "B-but! I remember what the adults usually say!" he stated, his tone now more defiant as he tried to argue.

"Mama says that once the ground starts shaking, it means that the bad monsters are waking up!" 

"So you're saying they're below us right now?!" The young girl began to sob as tears threatened to fall from her eyes, prompting the boy to also be affected by her sudden sadness.

"I-I don't know!" 

"B-but.. all I know.. i-is that—they will start eating us all!"

"That's scary!" At this point, both the girl and the older boy began to openly cry while the third boy stood off to the side and simply sighed at their reactions.

"Stop scaring her, Edmund!" 

"B-But! That's what Mama said!" Edmund sniffed as tears formed in his eyes after he turned towards his childhood friend, Alaric.

“Don’t listen to him, Agatha.” Alaric spoke softly as he reached over to comfort the crying little girl.

"Hey! I'm not the bad guy!"

Azrel remained quiet as the children started bickering with one another instead. The topic of the past conversation was settling in his mind.

"Does... Your grace believe in that too?" Magnus, who had been standing nearby and overheard the entire conversation decided to weigh in with a hesitant yet curious question towards the duke. 

"Hm?" Azrel was snapped out of his trance at the sound of Magnus’s voice, turning his head towards his right-hand man with a slightly puzzled expression.

"The prophecy."

There was a brief pause in time as Azrel contemplated his answer, his gaze cold as they darted downward towards the bits and pieces of rubble that peppered the floor.

"No."

Without any other word, the duke started to walk ahead towards the camp, leaving Magnus with little time to mull over the truthfulness of the duke's answer.

They entered the tent and Azrel immediately sat down upon arriving—no words or expressions were exchanged between the two as the tense atmosphere remained.

Magnus proceeded towards his desk with a more deliberate and purposeful step, his entire stance signalling that he intended to relay another report or information.

"Despite the improvements in the living conditions of the people, their fear remains another issue to be addressed."

"Fear?"

"Now that the barrier is fixed and their safety is secure, there's been talk among the people about the cause of the earthquake."

Azrel's eyebrow raised slightly while his gaze remained cold and firm, as if he were prompting his right-hand man to go into further detail with his statement.

"Although the prophecy is commonly used to terrify children, some have actually come to believe that it may contain some truths."

The scene of the three children and their discussion of the ancient prognostication immediately appeared at the forefront of the men's minds.

The prophecy is so old and dated that some may even say it has been forgotten and relegated to nothing more than a children's rhyme. Though it has become increasingly watered down over the generations, the origin of the prophecy still dates back several millennia.

If I remember correctly from what I read when I was at the Holy Temple, the prophecy was formally written...

The era of peace will endure even after the hero's demise. But as the ground trembles, arousing the dark beasts lying dormant in the shadows—the chosen sucessor shall emerge along with its master.

The shadows shall seep forth and blanket all.

Darkness shall descend.

—Rather ominous, that's for sure. Perhaps that's why people chose to forget about the prophecy in the first place.

Azrel remained silent and still for some time, attempting to decipher the true message or underlying meaning of the revelation.

I'm sure there were more written.

The message's foreboding nature was enhanced by the fact that it didn't came from some supernatural creature or entity but from a mere mortal.

Leonard was the sole survivor of his party after the catastrophic war with the Shadow King, so his words undoubtedly carried great meaning and weight as he was the one and only individual who could provide a firsthand account of the events that had transpired in that tragic battle.

Centuries had indeed passed since the great hero's passing, and yet nothing had occurred that could signal the truth behind the message and give it legitimacy.

This had caused the people to slowly dismiss the prophecy, convinced that it was simply an outdated and archaic item that held no basis in current times. 

It seems your sacrifice was all for naught, huh, Leo?

Azrel’s features slightly shifted with a twisted sense of amusement as he recalled the irony of the great hero’s fate. However, his composure quickly returned as he remembered the presence of the commander, whom he had momentarily forgotten about while musing about the situation of the ancient hero. 

He quickly composed himself and straightened out his features before the other could notice.

The lone human, the solitary warrior to emerge victorious...

While the rest of the world had dismissed or forgotten about the hero's warning, there was one specific group that still firmly believed and clung to it with unshakable faith and conviction—the Holy Temple.

Despite their modern and forward-thinking nature, the temple remained firm in their beliefs that the prophecy was indeed true and that it would bear fruition in due time.

Is this the reason why Aurian directed me to uncover the origin of the earthquake?

“This is indeed an issue,” Azrel echoed calmly, his voice breaking the silence and punctuating the tense atmosphere in the tent. Other than the tremor, the continued attacks of the Nightteeth were a major factor that would definitely complicate and hinder any attempt to sway the beliefs of the people.

"As things are fragile at the moment, do remind your men not to fuel the public with fear by disclosing speculative hearsay."

"Of course, they know better than to gossip." Magnus reply swiftly.

Azrel remained still as he nodded in response to the man's words, a slight twinge of annoyance rising within the duke at the thought of his problems stacking up on one another even after resolving the previous other.

He was determined to approach this matter with careful and calculated thought in order to ensure the best possible course of action.

The annoyance the duke was feeling was something that he would have to deal with later—once the situation at hand had been properly taken care of.

"I'll address the situation to the public," Azrel stated, his voice calm but determined as he outlined a plan in motion. "Hopefully, that can ease them for the time being."

"There is not a lot we can do to allay their fears, people's beliefs are up to them alone," he then added with a sigh. Magnus nodded in agreement with the duke's words, acknowledging that there was little they could do to change or control what people chose to believe in.

“Afterwards, I will bring a small unit with me to enter the Ethereal Forest,” Azrel continued, following up his first statement with a second one that outlined the next phase of his ground plan.

"Pardon? But then who will watch over the territory?" Magnus’s response was filled with concern and confusion as he appeared to be taken aback by the duke’s suggestion.

"I am leaving that position to you."

“M-me?! But the forest could be dangerous. Nightteeths are more frequent to appear!” The commander immediately countered, his voice rising again in protest as he quickly pushed back against the plan.

"I have complete faith in your ability to safeguard Triskellion in my absence." The duke's response to Magnus was simple and straightforward as he remained perfectly calm and composed despite the rising tone and discomfort that the other showed.

"Are you planning on bringing Sage, at least?" Magnus asked, his voice remaining respectful and devoid of any kind of dissent or conflict as he chose to accept his superior's decree.

“She is required to oversee the injured and their treatment. Her skills are most necessary here.” Azrel chose a reasonable response and to the point for Magnus to see the clear picture.

“My abilities allow me to seek out the elders without much difficulty,” the duke added. His choice to explain things to his right-hand man was also a way of trying to ease and comfort him, just as Magnus would do for him in similar circumstances.

There was a slight pause before Magnus nodded his head in agreement, albeit with some uncertainty but he certainly accepted Azrel's words and planned course of action.

"Alright. I shall direct the populace to gather at the town square for your speech then."


It's cold.

Her eyes, a vibrant hue of rich purple, dragged slowly down towards the dark, mirrored surface underneath her.

The darkness reflected back at her features, causing her vivid purple irises to shine brightly back at her from within her glossy, despondent eyes.

The illusory grass made entirely of light felt different than the real grass that she’d felt beneath her feet when she’d previously wandered through the forest.

The soft and supple blades of the real verdure felt malleable compared to the stiff and inflexible light that was in her hands at this moment. Even though both of them were blades of grass, their feel was vastly different and it was a surprising contrast to have experienced for Iris.

The girl, after having been put into slumber by the elder spirits as they decided her fate, awakened—but this time she was truly alone.

For the first few hours, Iris experienced an intense rush of joy and euphoria as the effects of her touch went unrecognised by her surroundings.

She was able to walk around and interact without consequence, only with optimism and good intentions.

She could touch anything without tainting it and the girl felt a sense of normalcy that she'd never known before.

However, as the hours passed and the realisation slowly sank in that there was no reality to be found within it in the first place.

The simulation of 'life' around her felt false and hollow. As she took in her surroundings, she could instantly tell that something was off—the forest, once brimming with activity now was just a bleak and barren landscape filled with illusions.

The air felt stale and still as the atmosphere was devoid of warmth, the sense of peace and serenity that she'd previously felt was now completely gone.

None of it is real.

Seeing what she touched did not bring about a grim death brought ease to the girl's mind yet it also wrapped a strange unpleasantness within her heart.

It felt like a part of herself—something essential and core to her—was being shunned, blocked or sealed away here in this chamber. It was uncomfortable, something inside her was clawing at her centre and begging for her to leave.

This is not her place.

This is not right.

This isn't where she is supposed to be.

"Stop it!" Iris shouted forcefully, her hands covering her face as she tried to silence the voices that were increasing in volume and intensity within her head.

The silence that filled this fabricated setting further prompted them to grow louder. She felt like she was about to lose herself entirely to the voices if she couldn't somehow quiet them but as hard as she tried, they stayed.

Why am I here? What purpose do I bring to this world?

The girl slowly pushed back her front hair with her hands, contemplative thoughts filling her mind as she pondered over her life.

She felt an overwhelming sense of desperation to connect with something—anything at all, and to find something that would bring her at least a small measure of comfort and respite from the voices and thoughts that clouded and suffocated her mind.

But what is it? Or maybe, who is it?

Desperate, Iris dug deep within her mind for any sliver of memory from her past that she could grasp onto and cling to.

It's been days since I awoke, and that person never came.

Maybe they did.

Maybe they're searching for me now.

The sudden realisation caused her to feel even more suffocated and overwhelmed as she contemplated the notion. 

I never should have come here. Now I'm all alone. Trapped. 

The absence of the murky darkness that had previously surrounded Iris in this state only amplified her feelings of regret and anxiety, fueling the flames that were already burning brightly within her chest.

"Tsk tsk."

The casual and dismissive sound made Iris's head jerk up at its source, her attention catching sight of Inanis stepping out from one of the artificial trees with his usual firm stance and cold gaze. 

"Ah, for someone who I had believed to be innocent, you carry quite the load of pessimism."

The amusement in his eyes was unexpected but it did nothing to dampen her rising sense of unease and discomfort.

It was unsettling as she stared at him slowly looming closer, her thoughts running wild with all sorts of suspicions and speculations as to why he was there and what had prompted his sudden arrival.

Why is he approaching me? What does he want?

"Oh, I'd like quite a lot from you." Inanis grinned at her as he stopped a few steps away from the girl. Iris instantly tensed up when he spoke. His grin and his tone instantly made her heart hammer in her chest.

Huh? Could he read my mind?

As if hearing those very thoughts, he chuckled quietly, prompting her senses to immediately become more on edge as she felt that his reaction suggested that he indeed could.

"But first, I would like to earn your trust." The snake's words immediately had an effect of confusion and wariness on Iris, especially in light of the casual and dismissive tone that he'd used to speak instead of his cold tone.

"... I don't have anything to offer you." Iris glanced away as she spoke the words in a low and meek tone, her body language indicating her sense of unease and her reluctance to speak in this situation.

"Ah, that's where you're wrong. You have something very valuable to me." Inanis's words left a string of mixed feelings in Iris, the expressions on his face adding to the confusion she was experiencing.

Valuable? Me?

The words echoed silently in Iris's head, the idea that she was worth something and could offer more than destruction caused her heart to flutter with wonderment and surprise.

However, the feelings of worry persisted for a different reason—the apparent sudden kindness from the snake.

"Did you not... speak up about this to the council?" Iris, wary and doubtful as she is, did not dampen her concerns over her own safety and the creature in front of her. Inanis had never spoken up for her before this and his eyes were always stalking her like the predator he was.

"Even though the circumstances may seem unbelievable, I truly did vote for your freedom."

"Y-you did?" His words instantly had an effect on Iris, making her drop any barriers and suspicions she had been subconsciously building.

The serpent nodded. "But alas, Queen Neris prevailed."

"W-well, it is for the greater good. All of you are just looking out for others." Iris spoke up, but the pathetic attempt that she made sounded more like she was trying to convince herself instead.

"Is it though?"

"Huh?" The question caught the girl off guard as it was the same thing that she kept asking herself.

"You've proclaimed that it's for the greater good. Yet, I question 'for who', truly, is it beneficial?" Inanis's genuine question brought a tear to her eye. The idea of someone sharing her thoughts and perspective was indeed enlightening and hope-filled in her heart.

She felt understood, to hear a voice that validated her thoughts and feelings brought up a plethora of emotions.

A look of discomfort flashed briefly across his face at the unexpected reaction that his sincere question elicited from her, "Goodness, I didn't even intend to mock you."

"S-sorry.. I'm not sad." She muttered, looking away and slightly ashamed at the way her emotions had gotten the best of her. She gently wiped away the tear in an attempt to get herself under control, her chuckle slightly shaky but full of relief.

"I'm... just relieved."

The snake remained quiet as he stared at the girl, his gaze lingering on her for longer than expected, especially with his pupils widening as he considered her words.

He had not anticipated her innocence and naivety, and this made her reactions and words all the more intriguing to him.

"You're rather simple." He muttered under his breath, which has her confused as she cocks her head to one side to better hear and process his words.

"What was that?"

"You have just awoken, am I wrong? Who are we to deny you the freedom you deserve?" The snake seemed to be an expert in reading the girl's inner turmoil and thoughts as he brushed off her question.

"I am aware of the destruction I can cause." She looked away in a futile attempt to avoid his scrutiny.

"And you believe hiding away in this chamber is the solution for that?" The spirit asked, his tone shifting from genuine curiosity to mild disbelief and a hint of disappointment.

Anger surged through the girl as she reflected on the irony of her current situation, which she realised was a consequence of all the spirits's decisions. "Then what do you expect me to do?!"

"What if I told you I have the power to grant your wish," Inanis said suddenly, surprising Iris with his sudden offer.

"W-what...?"

"You wish to leave this wretched dungeon, yes?"

"But why would you—"

"Because the terms of this arrangement were never equitable from the start." The spirit quickly snapped back at her, his voice stern and blunt as he spoke, causing her to flinch at the sudden and sharp change in tone.

"What do you mean by that?"

"It's futile to argue when dealing with a duo of lovers." Inanis reply with a roll of his eyes.

"Petros will come for you, and I assure you—he does not hold benevolent intentions." The snake's words instantly brought a surge of fear to her body, causing her eyes to widen and her heart to start pounding out of her chest. 

Iris remained silent, her eyes narrowing as she processed the terrifying thought of facing up against Petros.

"Our time is limited, so I insist that you make a decision quickly."

The serpent's pull and his sudden proximity to the girl caused her to jump a little, snapping her out of the trance-like state that she had found herself in when thinking of the frightening earth creature.

"Do you accept my offer?"

 

 

 

0