Chapter 04: Aftermath
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"We managed to reduce the casualties. Most who have been injured are being treated by Sage and the church followers at the sanctuary," Magnus notified them as he returned from his duties for securing the area.

The duke... He hasn't slept for days, I don't think.

Duke Azrel's usually neat raven hair had been dishevelled by the events of the previous night, while bloodstains still remained on his attire and face. His golden eyes, which sparkled with spirit and strength, had dimmed and darkened, the lower portion of his eyes showing the weariness and exhaustion of his recent battles.

"The situation is under control for now. Our wounded are being well-treated and cared for in a safe location. So let's be relieved, and let's hope for the recovery of those who have been injured." Magnus attempted to comfort his obviously exhausted leader. It had been a relentless night of endless battles, protections, and management.

Once again, the knight was grateful that his master had the power to enable him to recover from the battle and not sustain any permanent physical damage.

Although, I can't say for emotional damages.

Duke Azrel de Triskellion is a ruler appointed by the Emperor of Eldoria and has been placed in charge of this territory after his commemorative act in subduing the rise of Nightteeth and other dark beasts that have made their homes near the mountains to the west. He is well known and revered for his immense capabilities and noble deeds in defending the empire against a multitude of threats.

The duke is regarded as the face of the Eldorian army and is seen as a pillar of strength and stability, having been appointed by the Emperor himself.

Duke Azrel often carries such a heavy burden for their people, and Magnus nearly teared up when he thought about the immense responsibilities his leader had to endure. However, a wave of determination coursed through the knight as he reminded himself to be strong for his leader and his people.

"Has progress been made on the barrier?" Azrel said, pinching the bridge of his nose as his body ached and his mind felt scattered. Magnus responded immediately with a nod. "They will be able to complete the barrier by tonight," The knight informed him, bringing a measure of relief to his leader.

"I suppose we just have to hold out for tonight." The duke offered a laugh, though it sounded hollow and exhausted. His tiredness and exhaustion were evident in the tone and way he delivered his words.

He was clearly feeling the weight of the night's battles and the stress of managing a province under threat. "What of Eldoria?" he asked. "Have they found anything?"

Should I relay this information? I fear it will only anger him. 

Magnus hesitantly paused before revealing the information, aware that the count would surely be concerned about the cause of the earthquake. Ack! If I delay it any longer, I'll just be fastening my death. He went on to explain, "Eldoria has notified us that the cause of the earthquake comes from outside our borders, towards the west of Triskellion."

Well, he doesn't look TOO annoyed by that.

The west would've pointed towards the Ethereal Highlands, a land full of magical inhabitants. "Do they believe the faes have something to do with this?" Azrel scoffed, his tone mocking and full of a condescending laugh. Magnus remained quiet, unable to provide an answer that would reassure the duke.

I may have spoken too soon... 

"I suppose they want me to lead the Triskellion division for this?" He stated and in return, his words met Magnus's slow nod of agreement. 

He was aware that they would be required to investigate further and that a meeting with the elders of the magical spirits would be necessary. The duke then let out a long-suffering sigh, his tone dripping with a sense of tiredness and frustration. "We need to request a meeting with the elders of the Ethereal Forest to discuss the situation and come up with a plan."

Magnus nodded and turned to step out of the room, but then paused—Ah, me and my forgetful mind.

Remembering that he had forgotten to provide some additional information, the knight sighed. I'm really testing his patience today.

"Apologies, I forgot to mention that Minister Titus of the Holy Temple had requested to see you." His words received the glare of his master and he immediately knew that this had not been a thing to forget or take so casually.

"Did they state the reason? Triskellion has just suffered damage from the earthquake, and instead of sending help, they ask for me to leave the territory instead?" Azrel spoke with little kindness, his frustration and irritation evident.

"Well, Minister Titus merely requested to meet with you and gave no reasoning for the request. They didn't provide any more detailed information, but—"

"I'm not going," Duke Azrel declared with finality, his words holding firm in his refusal to deal with Minister Titus or the Holy Temple of Eldoria.

"I'll inform them, as well as arrange a meeting with the elders." Knowing when to retreat and refrain from further aggravating the duke, Magnus chose to make haste to escape the duke's presence and avoid exacerbating the situation further through any unnecessary interactions.


As Magnus left the tent, the duke heaved another heavy sigh, considering his own tiredness and the demands placed upon him.

This is rather frustrating. He thought to himself, his exhaustion and weariness growing heavier with each passing moment.

It had been days of nonstop battle, purging, and defending, and the numbers of the Nightteeth creatures seemed to be unusually large and ever-growing. The strain of fighting on such a large scale and for such a long time was beginning to take its toll, and there was something unnatural about the creatures attacks.

I can't help but sense that they're all targeting me. Pesky creatures.

His falters and mistakes proved costly, as the creatures did not hesitate to surround him and cause deep wounds and grievous injuries. His injuries that should've been mortal, yet due to his regenerative abilities, he was still standing and able to lead the fight against the creatures.

I would've been dead a long time now if not for these powers. He thought to himself, considering how many times he had come close to death.

If anything, the nonstop battle and its relentless, exhausting cycle of purging the creatures had driven the duke into a frenetic state of mind. He craved the momentary alleviation of the pleasure that came with every deep cut, every blow and slash of the dark creatures. 

With a heavy groan, the duke dragged his hand over his face as he reflected upon his recent behaviour. "Have I gone mad?" he questioned aloud to himself, pondering if his actions had crossed a line of reason.

This so-called 'power'.

With each passing day, the effects of his struggle only continued to worsen with the overwhelming restrictions on his actions and personality imposed upon him by the world.

Duke Azrel cast away any confusion that had been growing in his mind and refocused on the task at hand with a firm shake of his head. He had no room to doubt himself and would not allow any distractions to hinder his focus and determination.

"I just have to hold on for tonight." The duke took a moment to whisper to himself. With that, he felt the familiar sense of hollow beginning to wrap itself around his heart once more, his eyes losing their sparkle and their colour growing duller.

 

 

 

0