Chapter 8: Plenty of talks
20 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once I informed everyone about the bath, I found out that Edgar was in charge of this as he was the only one who knew both Water and Fire magics.

As everyone was getting ready to take a bath, me, Urza and Blanche were about to start cooking. For today’s dinner we would have a Skull bear hotpot with Cappa roots (which was practically a carrot with a twist that the green parts could be used as replacement for celery), potatoes and Running mushrooms that grew in my experimental farm. They were originally regular mushrooms that absorbed magical energy that turned them into monsters. Sadly for them, they tasted extremely delicious. They were also ingredients for magic recovery potion, but it could get complicated with other items, so I made really little of that substance. If I could get Medicine Slime to learn how to make it, it would save me so much time…

„We have all the ingredients so let’s start working. Urza could you peel the potatoes? Blanche if you could prepare the mushrooms.“

„Yes sir,“ Urza nodded and started working with the speed and precision of a trained cook.

„Should I use morning’s harvest or should I go pick new ones?“

„The morning harvest was rather big so let’s go with it. We can always pick two or three to add later on.“

„Yes!“ Blanche smiled happily, fastening her apron on her neck.

*** ※ Lena’s POV

Ever since I found out that the other person sent from Earth lives nearby, I got extremely curious. What kind of person is he? What drove him to take his life? Was it the same as me? Will we understand each other, if we ever met?

My mind was swimming with questions and I failed a test because of it. Looking back at it now, I feel so embarrassed. Getting bad grades because thinking about a boy, that never happened to me, even in my previous life. My father, Duke Nomille, was extremely angry at the time, and even my older brother was snickering… telling them the truth was not an option!!! I was too embarrassed to say it, or even think about it!!!

Anyway, I managed to get my father to promise me that he would take me to the forest to tame a wild monster there if my grade improved. I quickly finished all the tests and when my older sister’s school break started, we went into the forest.

And there I met him. He looked a little underfed, but when I got a peek at his arms, I noticed how toned they were. We are about the same age, but at the same time he has this aura I could only sense from grandfather before. Is it because they are both pure blooded Ancients? But that can’t be it, right?

Seeing all the monsters he managed to tame, I felt a little jealous, but when he gave scientific explanation to why this slime evolved this way, and that slime evolved that way, I realized he was a person who liked facts, I wouldn’t call him scientist-type, but he certainly liked it when he could explain what he found out like a real researcher. He really likes these monsters, eh? Look how happy he looks. Though…

One thing that was really worrying me was the girl that was always next to him. She looked a little older, but was letting herself be spoiled as if she was the younger one. She had white hair and red eyes, a telltale of Albino. On Earth it was known to appear rarely, but here it was much more common.

Her name is Blanche and we spent some time together picking up the slimes. Which I actually kinda enjoyed, buuuuut

„So, how long have you known Arito?“

„Hm? Over a year,“ she said with a dreamy distant look, „But it feels like a much longer time.“

„And you don’t miss your previous life?“

„No. Not even a little bit. Honestly, if I could come here sooner, I would,“ the steel look in her eyes told me how serious she was. I know Albino people are being discriminated against, but it’s mostly just verbal abuse. Don’t tell me she was treated so badly that living in a cave, even though it’s this cozy, is better?

„I see. Then everything is good, right?“

„Yeah. Arito can sometimes be a little too absorbed in his work, but he is always so sweet, I just want to keep hugging him,“ she started squealing with slight blush on her cheeks.

—And that happened at our first one-on-one meeting. She looks so much like a fangirl who got to stay with her idol… wait, that sounds like a cheap TV drama…

Even now, she was happily making dinner with Arito.

„That look is familiar, right?“ Mother smiled softly and laid her head on father’s shoulder.

„I was just about to say it too,“ Father laughed softly too.

I must say my parents’ difference between public and private images are two polar extremes. Between nobles they look like a couple married in arranged marriage, but once the doors closed, they became these lovey-dovey doses of sugar.

„Father, what do you think about the boy?“ Mother asked, not letting her head from father’s shoulder.

„Well, I checked him with Character Judgment, Analyze Personality and Intention Scout and got nothing. He has a lot of energy, mainly in magic, but the amount of his physical prowess is comparable to Knight commander Eugeen. I believe he is capable of using every element of Arcane magic, but we can only be sure about Light, Healing, Poison, Space, Wood, Fire, Water and Ice we saw him use before.“

„That’s already quite a line up, right? Usually people who have the ability to use magic have between one to three elements, right?“ Henretta asked and grandfather nodded.

„I also tried to look at his titles, but something blocked me. I think he has a blessing that does that… Probably from Evolution, or Creator gods.“

„Oh? And what title did you see?“ Father asked while reaching his hand for mother’s.

„Well… It was the Skull bear’s natural enemy title,“ grandfather smiled bitterly.

„What?!“ my parents and sister’s jaws dropped to the table unbefitting to their position of noble blood.

„Is something the problem?“ Arito looked at us with a spatula in hand.

„Ah, sorry I disturbed you. Father-in-Law just told me about an idea for a development and I was a little taken aback,“ father tried to cover up his blunder.

„I see…“ Arito turned back and continued cooking.

Hmm… They really look good together… but like this, I won’t be able to talk with him, just between four eyes!!!

I jumped down the chair I was sitting on and tried to sneak behind them, just to be instantly spotted by the Gobina named Urza. She is quite a beauty for a goblin child. Her hair is straight and black, held in a mikado cut which makes her look a little older than she actually is and not to mention, even more beautiful.

„Something the problem, young miss?“ she asked me.

I mean, how can you speak our language so well? Shouldn’t goblins be only good at saying "Gob, gob”? You three make no sense at all…

„No, I was just interested in what this scrumptious smell is.“

„I was just about to tell you. We used soup stock from Flame and Wind deers, added Skull bear’s meat, some vegetables, wild herbs and dried mushrooms,“ Arito said as he transferred the hotpot into bowls and had Urza carry them to the table.

We sat back down and I coincidentally ended up closest to Arito, with Blanche flanking his other side.

„Miss Romi, you won’t be eating with us?“ Grandfather asked.

„Oh, don’t worry about me, I already had my fill,“ the maid, seemingly out of place in this cave, smiled and licked her lips.

„Romi here is actually a vampire, she only needs blood for her sustenance,“ Arito said flatly.

„A VAMPIRE?!“ my family overreacted once more.

Well, vampires are as much of a fantasy staple as elves and dwarves, if you asked me. I was sick a lot when I was little on Earth so I read all kinds of stories where they were as common as cats. Many of my own books portrayed them too.

„Are vampires feared?“

„Well, depends on location. The northern parts of the kingdom barely bats an eye, but to the south from here is territory of count Helsink, that territory was terrorized by vampires before the kingdom was founded and even now you can hear about vampire attacks from time to time,“ father explained to Arito and Blanche who had similarly empty looks.

That’s a vampire name all right. I thought, not realizing at the time, that me and Arito had the exact same thought.

„The most notorious must’ve been that demonic vampire Ruby Neublood. That vampire alone was able to destroy five knight orders in less than an hour. Truely a terrifying vampire.“

„Oh, you know lil Ruby?“

„Y-you know that monster miss Romi?!“ Mother jumped up, spoon still in her hand with meat in it.

„Of course I know her! I was her wet nurse! She was such a sweet girl, though she worried us a lot because she didn’t want to drink any blood when she was little. I guess seeing her mother killed by humans broke her more than I thought. Too bad I could not be with her at the time…“ Romi went on a little rant with a sweet smile.

„How long ago was that?“ Arito asked a little unbelievingly.

„Well… it was about ten years before I was sealed, so… about one thousand and twelve years ago sounds about right… Back then, I was called by my previous master back to his side, but I got sealed away before I could get to his side.“

„A-and by master you mean…“

„Kirin Del Marka, the Albino Ancient known as a [Benevolent ruler of all Beastfolk]. Though, his rule would be more peaceful if those accursed Weasels didn’t betray us…“ Romi added with an evil look in her eyes.

„I do remember that something like [Betrayal of weasels] being passed down from my grandfather, but does that perchance refer to Weaselfolk Aeleo?“

„Yes. That bastard tried to kill us so many times… Aah, how happy it made me to be able to kill him myself…“

„B-Black Revenant…“

„Oh, you’ve heard of that nickname? That makes me happy.“

Father and Grandfather both turned pale and Mother made a slightly curious look that could pass for fear as well.

„Um, Black Revenant? Weaselfolk Aeleo? Who were those?“ my slightly dumber older sister asked.

„The story about Black Revenant and Weaselfolk Aeleo, or rather, Heroic tales of Aeleo the Great is passed down as a legend of founding member of the royal family, the first king Alberto Arwin Del Risha.“

„Ah, so Lil Albi became a king? No wonder beastfolk still live around here. If it was his older brother, then this would no doubt be Human Supremacist country.“

„You knew his majesty Alberto too?“

„Of course, he and my master were childhood friends. He even married my master’s half-sister.“

„You mean first queen Rukila the Dark elf?!“

„Rukie was actually a half-blood Ancient. I believe she was using a magic device to make her race look different. Could you tell me what was that about Aeleo the Great? The man I know was a coward, and quite literally the opposite side of the spectrum from hero.“

„Indeed. The 'Heroic‘ part was only passed down between commoners where weaselfolk had a strong position at the time. Everyone in high nobility knows that in the battle of Black Revenant and Hero Aeleo, where the hero died, he used the future king Alberto as a sacrificial pawn.“

„Yeah, I remember that, he tried to kill the boy, but completely forgot that Lil Albi never was our target. I still remember how he screamed and pleaded for life as I chased him and pierced his heart in the most gruesome way. After that was done, we just needed to lose spectacularly and everything would be done. Though, I could not help with the plan, as I was sealed away by those Crimson Puppeteer’s guys.“

„And that’s how I found you in that sarcophagus, right?“

„Indeed master. As I was sealed, I decided to reserve my powers so I could withstand the time, but I still became a Lesser Vampire in the process… Even now, I don’t even  have 10% of my original powers. Well, it doesn’t matter as the place is peaceful right?“

„More or less… We are part of the Southern Alliance that combines powers of the four great nations of the continent,“ Grandfather nodded as we finished our food that while it got a little cold, was still delicious.

The trip here turned out to be a treasure trove of unbiased information for the time of founding this nation. Once we talked a little more, we separated to our rooms and went to sleep.

Wait! I still haven’t talked with Arito!!!

*** ※ Arito’s POV

Once we separated into our room, I went to bed with Blanche as per usual. Saying that feels kinda indecent, but she’s so innocent that even if I had improper thoughts, it would be rendered ineffective. 

„…And that is what we were talking about.“

„I see, she seems interested in me… I just hope it’s only because of the monster research.“

„Yeah, me too,“ Blanche pouted and hugged my arm, so I instantly started patting her head. It was a pure reflex by now.

„And what did they talk about with you?“ she asked me with a happy look in her eyes.

„Well, I shared with them some little tidbits of my research on slimes. I haven’t told them even a half and they said I should register with the Summoner’s guild. That’s apparently a place where information on monsters is collected.“

„But… that would mean you would have to go to town, right?“

„Yeah… I don’t really want that. I told them that going to town wasn't just my decision, but it was more of me declining politely.“

„Hmm… well, I don’t care where we are as long as we are together,“ she snuggled against me with a slight blush.

„And you are saying I say embarrassing things easily…“ I squeezed her tightly, hiding my own embarrassment by digging my face into her hair.

Even though we went to sleep, I could not fall asleep at all. I was still thinking about various things, mostly about towns in this other world. Finding I would not fall asleep like this, I went to the kitchen to make myself a cup of tea.

„You can’t sleep?“ a voice called out to me and I noticed a dim light blocked from escaping with a barrier.

„Miss Lena, you can’t sleep as well?“

„I’m just not used to the feeling of contract. Getting to feel how the slimes are feeling is completely new to me.“

„I know what you mean. When I made contract with Nana and Kuro, getting to feel their emotions was so unsettling that I could not sleep.“

„Nana and Kuro… that’s not names you could hear here, but yours is in the same boat, Arito Aruze,“ she said mysteriously.

„I guess I got a unique name,“ I smiled at her as I boiled water for two cups of tea.

„Here, yes. But not on Earth.“

Wait what?! She knows about earth?! Wait, calm down, calm down. This only means she met that Administrator bastard…

„You too?“

„Yeah. I contracted a disease that would kill me sooner or later and decided to end my life, but in the next moment, I was before the administrator and he sent me here.“

„Did he force you?“

„No, not really. But he did said, that two are better than one, for saving the world.“

„That sounds like the jerk who sent me here.“

„You don’t like him?“

„I had enough of humans so I decided to end it by driving off the cliff and that was when he appeared, twisting my arms into doing it and I mean it literally. He started meddling with my soul there, it was a really terrible experience.“

„Oh... I jumped off a cliff to end my life…“

We looked at each other and burst out laughing.

„Pffffft, we think alike, don’t we?“

„Hahaha, seems like it.“

We sipped the tea I prepared and looked at each other. From there, we started talking about our previous lives. I found out that she was also a writer, but under a different publishing company. Just like me, she struggled with her first work, but it sell quite well and started building a small fanbase. Our only difference was that while I wrote Action fantasy and Sci-fi, she wrote romance and Romance Isekai. I suck at writing romance so I never had high numbers from female readers, but my female characters were quite good, or at least I hope… They weren’t dating material, but people liked them for being realistic. Lena’s readers liked her somewhat complicated relationships, but scorned her for poor fantasy settings.

You never can sell to everyone. I had my haters too, and when they got too annoying, I just killed off the heroine they were complaining about and posted a picture of roulette asking which character they want to be next. What a way to make them shut up.

„Won’t you come to the city? I’m sure with your knowledge you could live high and mighty.“

„Yeah, that’s not really what I want though. I enjoy my life here. I have everything I need here, but I am slightly interested in this fantasy world’s cities. Only a little, though.“

„You said, you had enough of humans. We are heading to a nearby city with the highest population of Demihumans and Magicfolk.“

„Magicfolk?“

„Oh, yeah, you lived in a forest so you don’t know. It’s a term we use for elves, dwarves, dragonewts and other magically gifted races. Ancients are counted as them too. I think father will ask you to join us tomorrow, so be ready.“

„I see, okay, I understand.“

„We found traces of some embezzlement so we are going there under the pretext of securing for me a Blue-tailed lizard egg so we could move around freely.“

„Everyone just wants to make money no matter the world, eh?“

„Yeah. But it will also work as training for me.“

„Training?“

„Yeah. As a member of the Nomille family I will become an adventurer once I finish school in the royal capital. By doing that, I will learn how the people live and how to help them better.“

„But wouldn’t that be only needed for the one who inherits the family head position?“

„Usually that is how it would be, but it will help us have a stable income in case we don’t inherit the position and become independent. I myself don’t see myself inheriting it so I plan to register once we arrive in the city.“

„And that’s why you will be training, right?“

„Yes! I’m good at magic, but my offensive capabilities are rather low… I’m more suited for healing, buffing and protecting with barriers. How many magic abilities do you even have?“

„All of them, safe for Summoning.“

„Grandpa thought so. Hey, what about becoming adventurers together?“

„Sorry, but that would happen only with Blanche,“ I flatly refused.

„You really like her, eh?“

„Of course, she helped me a great deal after coming here. If I didn’t meet her, I believe I would still hate humans, like I did when I came here.“

„Wow, did you really hate humans that much?“

„So much that I didn’t even have a problem sleeping after I killed my first bandits.“

„You are quite the extreme… How long are you in this world anyway?“

„Three years, eleven months and twenty two days.“

„Oh, wow! Could you tell me hours and minutes too?“

„Can’t do, I’m not counting it that much.“

We both spoke with a joking tone and laughed again.

„I was here for ten years. I was reborn as an infant.“

„I see, I was a seven year old child when I woke up in the forest. The gods of this world apparently made it and used a recently deceased pair of adventurers to fabricate my family.“

„So that backstory you told us…“

„As fake as it can be. Though, the people were real.“

„It’s kinda sad, you know…“

„It is. I even prayed for their souls when I learned about them.“

„Are you religious?“

„In my past life, my father raised me as such, but I lost my faith along with him and I only started praying when I came back here. And that was because of Blanche too.“

„I see. Okay, then, I will go to sleep now. Thanks for the chat. I wanted to know what kind of person you were, you know?“

„Yeah, I was also a little curious about this Destiny.“

We laughed again and once I finished the tea, I returned to bed to Blanche. She was still sleeping soundly. Yeah, I can’t leave her. She means too much to me now. I silently entered the bed and gave her a soft kiss on her forehead.

The next day I woke up sooner than I usually did. I checked the new clock and found out it was half past four. Outside it was still dark, but I could hear some movement. As I walked out, I found Edgar, the dwarven butler moving around briskly, yet silently, preparing breakfast for the ducal family and his fellow servants.

„Good morning…“

„Oh, good morning Mr. Arito. Have I woke you up? I’m terribly sorry.“

„It’s okay, I would wake up this early from time to time… Are you using magic to make your steps silent?“

„Indeed. I can use all lower element magics, they are great for blacksmith, but not so much for a butler, so I felt a little out of place in the beginning. I can use a little Space magic too, but not to the extent of Raven. I saw you use space magic yesterday, is it your main attribute?“

„No, actually. I do possess all elements, but I only use those that were handy for life in the forest like Fire, Water, Earth, Barrier and Space. Though, as far as Space magic goes, I’m only able to use Item box, Dimension home and Pick Up. I’m unable to teleport myself. Using Advanced spells is something I haven’t tried though.“

„I see, then, let me give you some pointers. I can use both Teleport and Warp so there is this little thing,“ he whispered into my ear, „Teleport and Warp are actually the same. The only difference between them is that there is a different amount of magic used and the distance you can travel.“

„Really?!“

„Yes indeed. Now, for the use of Teleport, you need a firm grasp of location. Try the chair in the back of the room. Imagine looking at the room from up there.“

„I will try… …Teleport… Hmm… <Teleport!> —Uah!“ On my second use of the spell I managed to use it and I floated above the chair for a second before suddenly dropping those few millimeters down. I lost my balance because of the unfamiliar feeling.

„<Teleport!> There. I hold you Mr. Arito. You’ve successfully used Teleport so now you need to get used to the gap between your body and ground. Once you do, you can use Warp for longer distances.“

„Thank you Mr. Edgar!“

„It’s nothing Mr. Arito, if you manage to master Warp, it will be possible for you to transport other people with you too.“

He learns quickly… he might even become able to use Gate and Private World in a few years, Edgar thought and smiled warmly at Arito. He kind of reminds me of my great grandson…

„Really?“

„Of course. That is the reason why Raven is so close to Duke’s family. If a crisis that they could not avert happened, he could teleport them from harm's way. Once he finishes all his assessments, he will take my position as a head butler and I will return to the service of lord Kalvig, whom I served previously.“

„You served Mr. Kalvig? But you are a butler of the Nomille family, right?“

„Well, my predecessor died before he could train his successor, that is Raven, so you can think of me as something like a stand-in.“

„I see. Anyway, what are you making for breakfast? Should I help you?“

„It’s fine, but we would need some water.“

„You don’t use magically produced water?“

„No, because it can be dangerous for pregnant women.“

„Huh?! You mean—“

„Yes. Both my Lady and Miss Agatha are expecting right now.“

„I thought that the air around Miss Agatha felt different compared to last time, so that’s how it is. Okay! I will go for water real quick. I will train Teleport on my way,“ I waved Edgar and used teleport to get to doors and to outside right after that. I walked to the pond, using teleport from time to time for practice, I was picking it up quite naturally. Maybe because I saw how the Space slime fell down when I used Pick Up on him. As I got close to the pond, I noticed that there was a deer with majestic antlers seemingly made from crystals. This was one of the common monsters in this forest called Flame Crystal Deer. Its antlers could be charged with magic and used for lightning. I took out my bow, tugged in an arrow and shot it. The deer got hit directly in its heart. The deer staggered and fell down dead. I walked up to him, took out the arrow, sent Bloody slime in and once he drank all the blood I took off the skill and had the Collagen slime process it. I also heard the Collagen slimes eat meat on the head of the deer and acid slimes to melt the skull a little to free the antlers which I could still use. Next I took out of my dimension home a Cooler box made with ice and barrier magics and started storing meat I cut off, feeding whatever I could not use (mostly innards and what was in them) to Grime and Corpse slimes.

Once the meat was processed, I stored it in the cooler box and threw it in the dimension home. Then I quickly took two barrels and filled them with water before swiftly returning to the cave.

The breakfast was a simple porridge with milk. For me and Blanche it was quite a feast as the last time we had milk was when we found a half dead goat that we tried to heal before letting it go. I mean, I don’t really like goat meat and from what I heard, in this world it’s not a tasty meat in general. The milk was good though.

Once everyone was up, we started eating together. I checked on time and realized that it was half past five. Not really a time kids like Lena and Blanche should be awake, but I guess it was normal in this world.

„Thanks for the food, Edgar.“

„Always a pleasure, my lord,“ Edgar bowed lightly.

„Right. Arito, we’ve been talking yesterday and decided we would like to ask you and Blanche to accompany us on our little trip,“ Henry started once the food was finished.

„You are always free to return to the forest though,“ Laina continued.

„The city we are going to is 97% Demihuman and Magicfolk. You can be sure humans are the last you would meet,“ Henretta added. Lena winked at me and I silently swallowed.

„What do you think, Blanche?“

„Me? Um… I’m not sure, but I will be by your side however you decide,“ she gave me a big smile and grabbed my hand under the table.

„Okay… then, if you are okay with us… we will accompany you.“

„Great news. Raven, could you contact the people outside the forest that we will have two more quests with— Wait, what about Romi and the goblins?“

„I can have them in my Dimension home, just like the slimes and remaining monsters. I made it a little more cozy as I was training my magic control, and ended up with quite a wide space.“

„I see, then that’s okay. Would you need help with packing?“

„I stuffed everything that was in the storage rooms in my Item box yesterday so we only need to pack things, like clothes and kitchen equipment.“

„Feel free to ask anyone to help you okay?“

„That’s very kind of you,“ I bobbed my head lightly and went to collect all my items and Blanche did the same. I also called back everyone and had them collect their belongings. Quite the sight was Romi, who carried her sarcophagus with one hand and a heavy looking bag in the other. The Goblin trio was carrying everything they could in leather bags and piling them so they could drop in my item box. Chika did not want to separate herself from her favorite pickaxe so I allowed her to take it with her to the Dimension home.

Another sight were the wolves. Each of them carried their favorite toy in their maws as they entered the Dimension home in a straight line. Even the pups were behaving orderly. Before I closed the dimension home, I had the Cleaning slimes clean up the rooms before I sealed them. I also cut of the water intake so the slimes would not overpopulate. I found two more when I was cleaning the pond room.

„All locked and secured.“

„It feels kinda sad, leaving our home…“

„We can always come back. And, if we find a new place that we like, we can build our home there. We have enough materials to build a house or two.“

„Just one is enough,“ Blanche smiled happily and we walked up to the duke’s family that was waiting for us.

3