Chapter 12,5: Sidestory of Wine and Evolution
45 8 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Tunetia! I need to talk with you!!!"

"Calm down, Wydonis, I'm watching Arito and I don't want to be disturbed."

"Well, too bad. That kid of yours got an outrageous slime!"

"The Fermentation slime, right? I'm already looking into it. You are free to take these papers and go," Tunetia pushed a few papers to Wydonis and continued to watch over the boy.

"Grrr… can make any alcohol depending on the fruits and grains it eats? What is this? There's barely any information!"

"Well, it is a new species, after all… oh, that Blue Moon variant of Moon Viper is really amazing. I better look into its possible abilities later…"

"Oy!!!"

"Shut it, boy. I'm doing my job, so you go do yours," Tunetia, annoyed she was disturbed from her monster research, tried to push Wydonis out of her private realm, which seconded as her home and research facility.

"I can't really do much with those slimes around! They are a threat to brewers, you know?"

"They would be a threat if you gave them your blessing, don't you remember? As long as brewers with your blessing exist, the alcohol these slimes produce will be inferior to theirs."

"Grrr… you are right about that, but these slimes can change the alcohol depending on the fruits they eat. If they get fruits grown on land blessed by Tearana, the taste might get even better. Even now they are as good at distilling as an apprentice brewer."

"Is that such a bad thing though? If their alcohol becomes more popular, you will be more revered, you know?"

"I do, but…" Wydonis grumbled, "I feel bad for the brewers who work so hard at making delicious alcohol…"

"Hahah, you are still a kid, Wydonis…" Tunetia laughed softly and patted the middle aged looking man on his head, "Look here, this is what I came up with regarding the slime's future evolutions."

"Hm? Oh… wow… isn't this a bit brutal? The Liquor slime seems fine, but the Wine slimes and Beer slimes are really a pain. He won't be able to evolve them like this, won't he?"

"It's challenging, but not impossible."

"This looks more like a Divine Trial, then a challenge… Well, it protects the brewers, so it's fine, I guess…"

"Oh yeah, could you tell me a little more about that thing in Amoeba Principality?"

"You mean those monkeys near the volcano?"

"Yep. They got a taste for alcohol and it's messing with their evolutionary path."

"Aah, I see what you mean. Sadly, I can't tell you much. The alpha of the pack attacked a town and took control of it. They got a taste for those Flamrappo berries and you know the rest."

Flamrappo berries are a kind of grapes growing near volcanoes, that are the sweetest kind of grapes and are usually used to make so-called ‘Silver Wine’.

"They are the main ingredients for the Flamwine and Silver Wine, right? How could they get the brewing skills though?"

"Well, it seems they got captives and had them teach the pack."

"Are the rest of the guys planning to do something?"

"No. If I'm correct, the people of the Principality will strike sooner or later of their own will, so there is no need for us to intervene."

"I will collect some information on those monkeys just to be safe."

"Right. …what is that? A Moon-Monster relationship? Is this about the Blue and Red Moons?"

"Yep. Some monsters are born as a different species than their parents, due to the magic power's high or low concentration during the Blue and Red moons. Arito tamed Blue Moon Viper moments ago, so I was about to look something up. …The only problem with creating new monsters is that when there are too many, I tend to forget their details… anyway! I'm going to see if some of Aritos' monsters can get Moon variants."

"Blue? That's good, I really hate that Red moon variant."

"Hm? Ooh, because of that poison, right? That thing is really dangerous because it can't be discovered when diluted in wine."

"Because of that poison, there were a lot of souls incoming in the past decades."

"Well, the antidote was made soon, so all's good, right?"

"Yo! You here guys?" a cheerful voice boomed through the room as another god entered the room.

"Urgh… what is it, Lodite?"

"I was thinking about what Matra was talking about and came up with an idea for a monster, so I came to talk about it with you. What about you, Wydonis."

"Arito's slimes evolved into alcohol producing Fermenting slimes."

"Oh, wow! Will there be some Distillation slimes too?"

"That's one of the Fermenting slime's abilities, actually. The skill is called Distillation. The slimes also have Alcohol Production skill. The difference between the skills is miniscule, but it is without a doubt an important difference."

"Is there?"

"Well, alcohol isn't the only thing that can be distilled, you know? Distillation can be used for synthesis of various items. Even petroleum can be refined into gasoline, asphalt, rubber, you name it. Wide Spreading use of rubber is one of the divine trials as well, so it works out well for us too."

"I know we need to have people spread rubber technology, but isn't that kinda dangerous right now?"

"It definitely is, but it could give use to the monsters that produce petroleum and tar. And even with these monsters around, there is no pollution, do you know why?"

"Hmm… knowing you, they have some kind of skill?"

"There is also a chance there are predators that negate their abilities."

The two gods pondered.

"Heh-heh-heh! The answer is slimes!"

"Slimes?'' The two were so flabbergasted that their eyes were practically bulging.

"Slimes evolve by eating anything that their environment offers them. In this case we are talking about Tar slimes and Dissolving Slimes. These two have the ability to absorb the harmful gasses and their sheer number is enough to clean the entire world."

"Do we really have such monsters?"

"Never heard of them."

"Heh-heh-heh, you can check with Atan, if you want."

"Wait… is that why you are in charge of the Great sea of Black?"

"Yes. My Noirenga and the divine beast guarding it, the Elder Tar Dragon. Given how strong the monsters there are, no sane person would enter it. Well, except for that one crazy tribe… anyway show me the monster you came up with, Lodite."

"Here you go!"

"Hmm… another symbiotic relationship I see. This could work, though. Never thought you would come up with an undead though."

"I know. As you can see, the Zombie is home to the fly monsters, it's nothing new under the sun, but with this, there should be more bug monsters."

"We do need more diversity, that's for sure. Okay, I will tweak it a little and test them out near Stagnis's place. Let's get the review from the people living near the stronghold of the undead. Is there anything else you would want?"

"All for me. Thanks!" Lodite waved his hand and disappeared.

"What about you, Wydonis?"

"I guess I'm gonna give a revelation to my blessed ones to continue working hard and enjoy their lives."

"Have fun. I'm gonna work on this, so I won't be around for a few years, unless it will concern Arito."

"Thought so. Bye," Wydonis waved his hand and walked away from the Evolution quarters.

"Now then, let's see if I can help Arito in some way… maybe I will push some interesting monster his way? That could make him happy…"

5