Chapter 13
22 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As me and Anubis were walking to town, I just couldn't get over the sights around me, even if the world was just a frozen corpse of its previous self, It was still beautiful.

We finally made it to town a while after leaving and I instant saw a gas station, only to find it picked up like the bones of a long dead animal.

I went to the next shop over and founds some scrap, Only Iron based items and it was enough to at least cover the 2lbs I needed, so that was all good, but noticed there was really nothing else so I turned to Anubis.

"Is there a place that people have rarely gone to, or never been to?"

"There is a section no one has started on yet, we can go there if you would like, the only issue is some of the places are pretty secure and some haven't been able to get into them.

"Should still work for me, picking bones isn't really for me." I say chuckling, as Anubis stared at me for a moment before going.

As I was walking, I noticed what appeared to be a Fire Escape like you would see on taller building in cities, so I walked over to it.

"Be careful of this, its hard to get up there and there isn't really a way to haul items out from there."

I jump up an catch onto the ladder, dragging it down with me and as it slams into position, the bottom two Rungs break off.

"No Joke, the metal is a little brittle so be careful."

"I didn't know that was a ladder or I might have looted this place already."

"Well thats why I am here to guide you ahah" Anubis just shook her head and followed me up the ladder.

Almost al of  the windows appeared to be reinforced as we went up the fire escape, but one was slightly open, so I yanked it the rest of the way open and climbed into the room.

It looked to be a normal bedroom, so this was likely an apartment building.

There may be stuff in some of the apartments, but I think I will start with their lobby and go from there.

Anubis joined me in the building and we headed down to the level that was just about even with the ground and found the door was jammed shut due to a set of thick frozen wooden Poles, After removing them I pushed the door open to show this door lead to another fire escape on the other side of the building, so we can use this way to remove items.

We headed on down to the lobby and in the office I found some computer and lots of paper, but that is nearly useless, I stacked the computer up to take upstairs and noticed there were stair going further down.

After turning on my flashlight for my helmet, I started down the stairs.

When getting to the bottom I found a big room with doors on all sides, and checked the room closest to the stair first, It seemed this was their maintenance area as I saw a low of broken Heaters, Fans, Computers, tablets and even what looks like phones there.

This is definitely coming with me, but first I need to check the other rooms.

As I was going through rooms, Anubis was following near me, but out of the way, just checking the area, I guess it really is up to me to find the items, she is just here to make sure I don't die for some unknown reason.

After not finding much else in the rooms, me and Anubis head back up, bringing the items we found with us.

After getting to the door we opened, I set the items down, "We can get these on the way back, lets look over other places"

I had an idea of what I would like to find, and as we walking I believe I had found it.

While passing a building, I noticed the logo for it had lasted thankfully, and it was the symbol of a Beaker, a Lab.

The door wasn't even locked, and entered the building with anubis following.

This spotting something I may be able to use, it was a broken table, so I broke the last leg off of it and Turned it upside down, thankfully it has an upturned edge to it, so it would hold items, maybe we can use a long metal bar of some kind to put it through the holes on the corners to pull it.

While thinking of this anubis spoke up "Looks useful, since the layout seems to be a single floor, we will split up a little, if you have an issue message me."

"Ok, and if you see any unbroken glass tell me."

She nodded and went to searching, so I turned the other way and headed through a double door, on the left was an abandoned and most empty lab with a sanitation room before it, I passed this room and continued looking.

I made it to a locked door, but thankfully It was a wooden door, so just a small amount of force shattered the door in icey shards.

Upon entering the room, I found instantly what I had been looking for, unbroken glass that seemed to shimmer without light.

Holding it, I could feel the refined and bound magic the item held, enchanted glass.

There was a fair amount of it as well, from beakers, test tubes, and even a distillation column with a condenser tube as well.

Exactly what I needed, but to ensure nothing brakes, I put them in the metal bin with little stacks of paper in between each item, it wasn't as good as unfrozen paper, but it should help.

After loading up the glass and making my way out of the room with the metal bin, I see my light glint off of something.

I put the bin down and looking at the glinting item, it seemed to be a stack of books, books made of metal that showed no wear.

No rust or a freeze to the metal tint meant it was some kind of alloy and it was so lustrous. 

The covers were all blank and they varried in sizes, with one book being much smaller then the others, after looking over a few of the items, I opened the smaller book and my breath caught for a moment.

The words, I could I could only understand by inference, but the symbol was a unique one, the book was my favorite book from my previous world, Jurassic Park. 

I know almost every word to the book, so using this as a sort of Roseta stone, I can translate the other books, and they are likely useless to anyone else.

But with this, I took the smaller book, and put it to the side and put the rest of the books in the bin, to the side.

I picked up Jurassic park and went back to the sanitation room, and closed both door seeling the area, and cast a bunch of fire spells to heat the room up, the temp in my helmet showing it got to -5 degrees finally.

I unzipped my suit and put the book into my pocket before sealing the suit again and going to get my bin of items.

As I was coming back to my bin, Anubis was looking for me to show me something, and we were making our way to what she wanted to show me when I stopped us, seeing some thick cables, and testing them, they did have some bendability to them.

"I think I can use these cables, do you have a way to cut them?"

"No, we typically don't carry something like this."

I had figured, so I tried to make some fire, but it was almost refusing, but after putting enought power into it, a flame finally sprang to life, so I moved it a little ways from my glove, and pour mour power and some wind into the flame.

It quickly became like a blow torch and I cut through the thick cables and found them perfect to attach to the table to use like a sled.

"How were you able to use fire magic?"

"It took alot of effort and a ton of mana, but magic is one of my specialties." 

She nodded at this and continued to lead the way for a good distance before holding up her hand and sending a message, stating it was time to sneak.

We crept our way through the halls to a double door with two windows showing what was in the next room.

It was a shimmer that seemed to be sleeping as they were up against the wall in the room seeming to merge with the ice that built up there.

I sent a message to Anubis asking if the suits are able to record, or take pictures.

She had sent a message showing no.

I will need to remember to add that to mine when I get it.

I motion my head to say lets head back.

We slowly crept our way out of the hall, and back to the lobby, finally back I attached the cable to the table and made sure everything is attached enough.

After getting the sled outside, we pulled it back the path we came in on, picking up the stuff from the apartment building and beside the road before making the long trek to the pod.

As we neared the pod, anubis instead lead us a little further to what looked like another pod.

"This one is our storage pod, anytime you go up, one comes up with you."

We enter the pod and it was near completely bare on the inside, so We pulled the sled in and Anubis was about to leave when I stopped her.

"This pod can seal right?"

"Yes, why?"

"I'll surprise you, one moment." I picked up 2 of the larged metal bins I had picked up on the way out, and went back outside to gather Ice and Snow and brought them into the pod as well. 

I closed the door to the pod "You may wanna get comfortable, I needed room to do this and it may take a while."

She nodded and sat on the floor in the corner.

I saw her jump a little when I started casting some high heat fire spells, after a while I got the temp in the pod up to a respectable 32 degrees, so that should be close enought and took off my gloves.

"Stop, we aren't meant to take out suit off above ground."

"I made sure to warm the pod, and I need access to my hands with the glass to do this for the task. Do you want me to play something for you?"

Anubis nodded, but didn't give a specific, so I put on a show I liked and went to work.

I grabbed the condenser and 2 beakers, hooking them up in series and it looked good, so I began to heat the bin with snow, it melted quickly, so I continued to heat it while adding in ice to melt. 

After a while I had a tub of water, and an empty tub, so I loaded some water into one of the beaker and started, but Heating one Beaker and making the other cold.

It took a while but I had a big bin full of distilled water now, and put the items back onto the sled, and put my gloves back on.

"Ok, all done." I said while pausing the show, multiple episodes had played at that point.

Anubis stood up and stretched, "Finally, ok lets go, I am hungry. Think you can make it a few more days like this?"

"This was nothing, but yea, I am hungry as well."

We left the pod and after I braught the Metal bin out with the water, I quickly became a solid blocked of near transparent ice.

"So it was worth the wait, clear ice is hard to find."

I put the now finished ice back in the pod and closed the door.

Not even 10 feet away from the pod, I put my hand up to stop anubis, I thought I saw something, and after a moment, I motioned anubis to duck down a bit, and began to charge a Condensed Ice Shard, thinning it out, and adding some wind to it.

After launching it at the target, the snow leapt up in a way in the wake of the spell, but with a small spray of blood, and no movement, I knew I did it!

I ran over to it and confirmed, it was what looked like a Normal White Rabbit, so I quickly brought it back to the storage pod, and drained the blood in the empty Metal bin, they may be able to use it. And laid the Rabbit down on the sled.

"Well, looks like we will be heading down today, sure was a productive day!"

Anubsi just shook her head a little and chuckled.

Finally heading back to our pod, I was wonder what more mysteries things I would find in the future.

4