CHAPTER 36: The Breath of Wind
74 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Name: Zephyr

Level: 2 | EXP: 620/626 (99.04%)

Race: Divine Beast

Species: Wolf

HP: 502/502 | MP: 261/261 | Attack: 38 | Defense: 41 | Satiety: 76/100 | Loyalty: 35/100

Strength: 7 (+30) | Constitution: 10 (+30) | Agility: 15 (+30) | Intelligence: 20 (+30) | Dexterity: 12 (+30) | Courage: 20 (+30)

Active Skills:

▪︎ Antagonize

▪︎ Gallop

▪︎ Extreme Speed

Passive Skills:

▪︎ Hidden]

 

Upon examining the screen closely, Daisuke realized that Zephyr had an automatic revival feature upon death. However, there was a catch: the time it took for the canine to revive increased by twenty-four hours for every ten levels he gained. Currently at level two, Zephyr revived after twenty-four hours, but at level twenty, it would take forty-eight hours. Level thirty would require seventy-two hours, and so on.

The other option for reviving Zephyr was to feed him Divine Extract. However, one question remained unanswered.

Did the System assign him as my companion in the event that I become a player?

Daisuke’s eyes softened as he set aside his pondering and redirected his attention to the summon button at the bottom of the screen. With a gentle click, a swirling tower of golden light materialized, casting a radiant glow that outshone the warm sunlight filtering through the leaves.

From within the luminous vortex emerged Zephyr, his grin unrestrained and his tail wagging with elation. With a cheerful leap, he pounced toward Daisuke, who tumbled backward against the tree, his heart overflowing with happiness.

Zephyr’s eyes sparkled with delight as he showered Daisuke with joyful licks, conveying his boundless excitement. And at his endearing whine, Daisuke hung his head, his eyes concealed by fringes of silver hair.

“Jeez—you could’ve mentioned you were some kind of majestic wolf,” Daisuke murmured, a hint of petulance in his voice as a rueful smile tugged at his lips. “I spent all this time thinking you were just some stray mutt.”

“Rawrwu~”

“…I’m sorry,” he gritted his teeth, his body tense. “Because of my weakness, I ended up letting you get hurt. I… I should’ve found some way to save—”

“Kiyuu,” Zephyr chimed, as if in protest.

Daisuke’s expression hardened, devoid of any trace of emotion. “...I would understand,” he began, his voice chillingly cold, “if you didn’t want to stick around me anymore. You’d actually be better off on your own.”

Zephyr licked his cheek, giving his answer.

Daisuke trembled slightly. “…Just so you know, I plan to get revenge against those guys… so there’s a chance you might get hurt again.”

“Arf!”

Daisuke’s wet eyes could finally be seen, and he tousled the canine’s head in playful affection. “It’s a pleasure to have you on the team, O’ Mighty Divine Beast.”

 

DING!

[The title «Master of Divine Beast» has been acquired.]

 

[Master of Divine Beast]

[Rank: Legendary

Earning the affection and unwavering loyalty of a Divine Beast transcends the abilities of even the most skilled beast tamers. In reverence to the bond woven through trials and tribulations, Zephyr pledges to safeguard his master with every essence of his being, a vow sealed in blood and tears for eternity.

Title Effect:

▪︎ All Stats will increase by 12% while hunting with Zephyr.

▪︎ If your health falls below 25%, Zephyr will rush to your side. In that moment, his Strength, Defense, and Agility will increase by 40% for 60 Seconds.]

 

Daisuke allowed a solemn smile. “…Thank you.”

“Woof~”

“By the way,” Daisuke began in a hushed tone, breaking into a sweat. “I know you’re a Divine Beast and all, but what’s up with these Stats? 264 Stat Points in total at level 2? And here I thought I was special.”

 

[Antagonize]

[Rank: Normal

Classification: Active Skill

Lvl: 1

Proficiency: 0%

Howls and exerts fighting spirit to provoke one or many adversaries into mortal combat.

Skill Effect:

▪︎ Enemies ensnared by the lure of provocation are compelled to direct their attention towards the caster. This effect persists for 3 minutes or until one of the combatants perishes.

Mana Cost: 40

Skill Cooldown: None]

 

[Gallop]

[Rank: Rare

Classification: Active Skill

Lvl: 1

Proficiency: 0%

Employs mana to greatly increase Agility.

Skill Effect:

▪︎ Increases Movement Speed by 30%.

Mana Cost: 10 ⅌ Minute

Skill Cooldown: None]

 

[Extreme Speed]

[Rank: Epic

Classification: Active Skill

Lvl: 1

Proficiency: 0%

Oxygen floods the bloodstream and electrified mana is summoned to the legs to significantly bolster Agility and Dexterity.

Skill Effect:

▪︎ Doubles Movement Speed for 30 seconds.

▪︎ High-speed attacks have a 35% chance of inflicting the «Paralysis» Status on the target and a 10% chance of inducing temporary «Blindness».

Mana Cost: 100

Skill Cooldown: 20 Minutes]

 

“Not surprisingly, your skills are pretty over the top too,” Daisuke remarked, acknowledging the impressive abilities of his furry companion. The hidden passive skill has me curious, but I guess I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. “What do you say we put your skills to the test?”

“Arf~”

Daisuke grinned darkly, his eyes gleaming with anticipation as he appraised the weapon he received from the raid. “I’m pretty psyched to see what I’m capable of too.”

 

[Crude Bonepick]

[Rank: Normal

Type: Dagger

Melee Attack Power: 16~20 | Durability: 8/46

A crude weapon resembling a dagger, crafted from the bones of an ill-fated goblin. Although not designed for slashing attacks, it excels at piercing strikes and carries a chance of inflicting the «Bleed» Status on the target.

▪︎ Chance of triggering Bleed 15%

Conditions of Use: Lvl 1+ | Strength 1+ | Stamina 1+]

[Bleed Status]

[The target’s health will decline by 0.5% per second for 30 seconds. Duration can also be dependent on the level and grade of the weapon or skill used to apply the status effect, as well as the target’s level of resistance.]

***

 

[Horned Rabbit | Lvl 1 | General]

Daisuke’s fingers clenched firmly around the hilt of his new weapon as he crouched amidst the dense shrubbery. Through blades of grass, he watched his vigilant prey. The crimson eyes of a Horned Rabbit swept across its surroundings as it grazed in an open field.

Disregarding the blue and yellow hues representing Mana and Stamina, Daisuke’s gaze fixed upon the red horizontal line at the top left corner of his field of vision. The thin strip of graphics was his «HP bar»—a visual representation of his life force.

He hadn’t rested until it was entirely full, so there was roughly fifteen percent missing. Or, to be more specific, he was eighty-five percent closer to a grim fate.

He had always feared death, but a visual rendering that was constantly reminding him of how close he stood to the precipice was very unnerving.

“Rawrwu.”

Zephyr’s soft chime stirred him from his thoughts, and in an instant, Daisuke’s world transformed, butterscotch eyes blazing with intensity. His eyes locked onto the Horned Rabbit, and in that electrifying moment, his muscles tightened and coiled like springs. He inhaled deeply, each breath filling his veins with a surge of oxygen.

With an explosive burst of power, he propelled himself forward, closing the distance to his prey in the blink of an eye. The Horned Rabbit, sensing impending doom, desperately tried to evade, but it was no match for the relentless predator closing in.

Daisuke’s bone icepick traced a deadly arc through the air, carving a long, ivory line into the creature’s torso as it attempted to leap to safety.

[Critical]

[98 damage dealt.]

A pained squeak escaped the beast, but Daisuke’s determination was unyielding. With impressive dexterity—a reflection of his enhanced Stats—he deftly altered the course of his weapon mid-strike, driving the monster forcefully into the unforgiving ground.

WHAM!

[12 damage dealt.]

The impact resonated through the earth, a testament to Daisuke’s newfound strength and skill. And the monster stilled beneath his weapon, its white coat stained crimson with blood.

 

DING!

[You have slain a «Horned Rabbit»!]

[22.3 Experience Points gained.]

[Horned Rabbit Hide x2 has been acquired.]

[Zephyr gained 7.8 Experience Points.]

[Zephyr’s level has risen!]

[Zephyr has learnt the skill «Ember».]

 

Daisuke’s head snapped up, his eyes locking onto yet another Horned Rabbit lurking in the distance. The earth dented as he kicked off the ground, his weapon raised and poised, glinting with an aura of deadly purpose.

Levels one, two, five—Daisuke’s relentless hunt unfolded as he pursued the Horned Rabbit, Malevocroak, and Forest Imp. However, instead of a reenactment of his previous encounters where traps were used to incapacitate the monsters, this time he hurled himself into the fray with the ferocity of a true warrior.

PLOW!

Shrill cries, crimson tides, lifeless eyes—Daisuke maneuvered around the monsters in a blur, his weapon slicing through the air, staving through skin and flesh, plunging the fiends into oblivion.

“Arf~”

As Daisuke slowly pulled his weapon from the neck of a Forest Imp, Zephyr leaped from the confines of his clothes. No sooner had he noted the canine’s telling expression than he heard the heavy footsteps of a nearby beast.

DUUM! DUUM! DUUM!

Just a few hours ago, his first impulse would have been to flee or find cover. But now, everything was different; now, he was a player. Unlocking his Status Window had emancipated him from a life of guaranteed powerlessness and sorrow.

Now, he hungered for power—enough power to safeguard himself and his loved ones. To achieve that goal, he couldn’t afford to shrink from every threat. While others saw peril, Daisuke saw potential.

Concealed within the dense thicket, Daisuke moved stealthily, keeping close to the earth as he inched closer to the source of the footsteps.

There, through the curtain of foliage, he caught sight of a familiar monster trudging through the forest. And his eyes narrowed, gleaning with purpose.

“Looks like we’ve located the first target of our revenge.”

“Rawrwu~”

6