Chapter 33 – Ceremony (1)
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From morning till noon, the training grounds underwent a transformation as a stage was set up and streamers adorned the area.

Food were prepared and laid out in a sumptuous manner of the tables as the various castle and military personnel gathered.

The area was packed tight with knots of people discussing the conferment for the day and the main subject- which are the grade 5 cores.

The common theme amongst the civil officials would be why are the foreigners being given preferential treatments in terms of rewards conferment but the military personnel were far more interested in the application of grade 5 monster cores on the battlefield as well as the potential users behind them.

Various officers can be seen milling about the companies they commanded as they partook of the festivities.

The main stars of the act were back in the castle’s main hall with Edward and a grey mustached man who was explaining the various ceremonial forms of the Empire to the three.

Caine and Edward were struggling to pay attention and tried various means to perk themselves up when the master of ceremonies went through the key points. Tiffany simply gave up straight away and asked Caine to give her a refresher and proceeded to have a glazed eyed look throughout the entire narration.

Aureus, Tarin and Johan entered and upon apprehending the scene, all three gave a silent chuckle. Having been versed in the ceremonial forms since their youth, it was rather refreshing to see people foreign to it trying to adapt themselves to the said forms.

“Highness, it is a pity that we were unable to hold the bestowing ceremony as a slightly later date. Calvus and Denter will return in three days time. It would appear they have not failed in their assigned task and have performed commendably. It would be good to award them in public if there was a chance. ” Tarin opened up as they strode down the length of the hall to approach the mages.

“Agreed. Though I highly doubt that Calvus or Denter are interested in any medals and the like. Moreover, the purpose of the army is to defend the Empire and her people. Not chasing after bits of metal to adorn one’s chest. I am sure they will be fine.” Aureus was nodding as he replied to Tarin.

“I would agree with his highness on this count. Calvus and Denter are both of a known quality amongst the ones whom need to know. Conferring them in public will have a minimal effect on confidence since they are already widely known for being competent.” Johan piped up from the side.

“I would argue it is not the rewards themselves that are important. It is the act of recognition that comes from a higher authority. That will always create a good setting for meritorious achievements to flourish.” Tarin replied.

“Yes, unfortunately we are constrained by Father time. Shortly after they return, we will need to set out for the contested lands. The timing is simply too tight this time around.” Aureus said as they reached the mages and Edward.

“Having fun?” Tarin asked the three being tutored.

All three shook their head.

Aureus gave a half grin as he requested that they bolster themselves for the show as it is considered an unfortunate but highly necessary part of the Empire. The master of ceremonies curled his lips at Aureus’s comments but he did not make a single objection.

“Blake, do not worry. It is the job that is unfortunate and necessary, not the man that does it.” Aureus’s grin grew wider.

“Highness, why do I feel as if you have just praised me and not praise me at the same time?” Blake replied in a courteous manner.

“Ahh, a man of deep thoughts. Highly suitable to be the master of ceremonies. Well appointed, my man.”

“Highness, I give up.” Blake stared towards the ceiling before replying.

Aureus clapped Blake on the shoulders before moving past the party and heading towards the training grounds. Tarin and Johan both gave a wide grin to the ones being mentored before proceeding to follow Aureus out.

As Aureus proceeded to the stage, many saluted him on his way.

At the stage, the senior officers of the Aureus army converged and Aureus asked after their healths and jobs as he made his way through the various officers.

As the sun reached the zenith, several castle mages cast a cooling spell over the entire training grounds.

Several moments after that, Blake entered the training grounds and made a beeline for the backstage.

Taking it as a cue, Aureus dismissed the officers and made his way to the backstage as well.

A quarter of an hour after that, Blake came out and began officiating the ceremony.

It was kept mercifully brief by Blake addressing the purpose of this ceremony as well as the award giver who is to be prince Aureus.

Aureus stepped onto the stage after the address and gave a short address to the personnel attending.

In essence, Aureus thanked them for their tireless efforts in protecting and running Everdawn. In particular, the soldiers whom have shed blood to protect the citizens of the Empire from the marauding demon hordes.

The military personnel gave off raucous cheers as Aureus ended that part of his address.

Aureus finished off the address that it is his vision that Everdawn will prosper during the twenty years spatial gates blackout and to eliminate the demon beast threat within the next few years.

This time, the entire crowd was cheering as Aureus ended his speech.

The ceremony then proceeded apace as various civil and military personnel whom have accumulated meritorious service during Aureus’s tenure in the outer realm stepped up to the stage to receive their awards.

Many of the soldiers whom participated in the recent expedition to the Rolger Forest can be seen among the awarded.

As the awarding part of the ceremony , Blake announced in a sonorous voice that the bestowal ceremony commences!

Edward stepped up the stage and Aureus personally pinned a blood red sigil with a single silver marking to Edward’s collar.

The Direwolf company as well as the military personnel whom have worked with Edward thus far, gave the loudest cheers.

Edward stepped to the side as Caine then made his way up.

Aureus opened the case containing the blue core and presented it to Caine along with a blood red sigil. Caine bowed and accepted it with both hands.

Tiffany stepped up last as Caine moved to join Edward. Showing more poise and grace then Caine, Tiffany bowed and accepted her core and sigil.

As the final part of the ceremony drew to a close, the cheers approached an unprecedented level prior as Blake announced the end of the ceremony and urged everyone to partake of the feast.

In a table set aside for Aureus and his inner council, various steaming dishes and plates of rice and bread could be seen.

As Aureus and his council broke fast, they discussed many matters. Tarin and Johan expressed delight at the idea that Calvus and Denter will be rejoining them soon.

Edward, Caine and Tiffany made various sounds of acknowledgment. Although they have never met the two officers, they have heard plenty about the two since their stint in the castle.

The council then debated various issues regarding the Everdawn province in a far lighter manner then they have usually done in the study.

The discussion ranged from the drafting of laws to how the common man can make a living in Everdawn. The only notable exception that could be noticed were that there were no references made to Edward being an outworlder as well as the divine artifacts he possessed.

Aureus personally cut a section of a fish that still steamed and presented it to Tarin while stating that he could not think of any kinds of metals or baubles that could properly capture his years of service to the Empire and Tarin would have to make do with his poor imitation of a reward.

This act drew a series of laughter around the table.

As the laughter died down, Tarin cupped his hands in Aureus’s direction and stated that such an act by Aureus honored him.

“In my opinion, this piece of fish meat is far more useful then all the baubles I received in the past.” Tarin said in a light manner but his eyes misted slightly.

The meal ended amidst much gaiety and laughter.

0