Chapter 38: Departure and a Village
265 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Narrator POV 

  

 
 

 
 

  

Riles, the country of Half-bloods and Demons. 

As the name of the country implies, this country is a country of mixed races and demon kins. 

The country was formed more than 500 years ago. 

After the defeat of the Demon Lord of that time, the demons pledged their allegiance to the humans who defeated the demon lord. 

Demi-human as well as demon kins made a country of their own. 

One of that countries was soon been called Riles. 

  

  

Originally, Riles was the country of the Demon kin. 

Throughout the history of Riles, they have conflicted with the Ecclesia empire which hated demons and demi-humans. 

Throughout history, there had been constant battles on the southern border of Riles for over 500 years. 

This created a land of devastation and death. 

These lands are always plagued by wars and death due to the constant invasion of the Ecclesia Empire. 

 
 

 
 

No country in the continent wanted conflict. 

None of them supported Ecclesia's ideals and beliefs. 

Artesia Empire together with all nations in the continent send soldiers to help Riles defend its borders. 

This also keeps Ecclesia Empire in check. 

Throughout the long history of the war in Riles, thanks to the help of all countries supporting them, Ecclesia Empire was never able to conquer Riles. 

Thus, the Artesia Empire, the Elves of the great forest of Giah, the Marchial kingdom, and All of the nations belonging to the Great Nation Alliance send soldiers to Riles every year to help defend Riles. 

 
 

 
 

People in this world knew what the Empire of Ecclesia believed. 

Ecclesia believes that monsters and other non-human races are evil. 

Evil; should be eliminated to create a perfect world. 

This belief did not change over the past 500 years. 

No other country in the continent shared that belief with Ecclesia. 

At the present, it had been 11 years since the last major attack on the Ecclesia Empire. 

  

  

500 years is a very long time. 

Many bonds and connections were created. 

Those bonds transcended the concept of “races”. 

The Artesia Empire, the Elves of the great forest of Giah, the Dwarves of the Marchial kingdom, and the demi-human belonging to the Great Nation Alliance, worked together. 

They send people from their lands to help Riles defend their lands. 

They created bonds not just with the people of the Demon Country but also with all other races who helps Riles. 

 
 

 
 

As people of all races gathered in Riles, there was no surprise that bonds will be made. 

The bond of Friendship, Brotherhood, and even Love. 

Soon, those bonds caused interracial marriages of multiple and varied races. 

Therefore a country full of mixed-blooded offspring emerged. 

Half-human, Half-demons, Half-beast, and many other mixes of races. 

500 years have passed producing several generations of interracial marriage. 

The city of Riles became the city of the Demon and the mixed blood of multiple races from the result of these connections for the past 500 years. 

Riles became known as the Country of Boundless Love, because of how often an individual would find their soul mate within the country. 

  

  

“hee~ What a romantic place indeed.” <Kazue> 

Kazue commented as Shaina explains all of this to Kazue. 

“Kazue, are you interested in that kind of stuff? If so, you’re more maiden-like than I expected. If you like, you can look for a boyfriend there.” <Shaina> 

“That's not what I mean! Those kinds of things are not on my mind right now.” <Kazue> 

Shaina looked disappointed at Kazue’s reply. 

“You're so boring.” <Shaina> 

“Hmnn, how about you Shai, I bet you don’t have a boyfriend either. How about it? You might as well go there?” <Kazue> 

 
 

 
 

“Boyfriend?” 

Shaina paused for a moment while looking blankly at Kazue. 

“Pftt, I don’t have a Boyfriend and I am not interested in getting one either. I am busy with my business and all.” <Shaina> 

“See?! You’re even more boring than me!” <Kazue> 

“HAHAHA” <Shaina> 

Shaina just laughed it off. 

  

  

Kazue will be leaving the imperial capital tomorrow and Shaina wanted to debrief Kazue on her journey to Riles. 

At the moment Kazue and Shaina are planning Kazue’s journey. 

For this, Kazue has not taken any quests from the guild today. 

After finishing the Forest Bear subjugation quest from yesterday, Kazue did not take any quest after that. 

She even tried camping alone outside the city to emulate how would she prepare for the upcoming journey. 

  

  

“Riles, huh that’s quite a distance to travel. Even if one tried to travel without detours and was fully committed to going here to there. It would still take a minimum of 1 month for one to travel from here to Riles.” <Shaina> 

“Hee, a month? That’s quite a long time to travel.” <Kazue> 

“Well, there are other ways to go there but since you want to see the world then you should travel by land.” <Shaina> 

“I was planning on doing that from the start. I would love to see more of this world after all.” <Kazue> 

“I suppose so. I suggest that you pace yourself and travel at your speed. That is how you would enjoy traveling. There are a lot of worthy detours on the way so keep your heads up. The road has so many surprises that would make your journey more fulfilling.” <Shaina> 

“I’ll keep that in mind.” <Kazue> 

  

  

After talking to Shaina, Kazue started preparing for her impending journey. 

She went around Scale Atelier and in the town to buy things she needed for this journey, She started a shopping spree. 

 
 

  

Low-grade Dimensional bag. 

A bag capable of storing items with a maximum capacity of 10KG. 

One was worth 1,000,000DAL each. 

An item Kazue bought with the money she earned from the quest she received. 

Kazue bought the cheapest she could find because she was short of money. 

  

  

In that bag, she stored, food that could last for a week, several camping gears, mana crystals, and spare clothes. 

Kazue also withdrew all of her money from the bank and used most of it for this journey. 

Right now, Kazue only has 53,640 DAL remaining on her hand. 

A mere, 53 Silver, and 64 copper coins while having a debt worth 90,000,000 DAL. 

In simple words, Kazue was broken. 

  

  

“Good luck on your journey Kazue-san.” <Reno> 

“Yeah, thanks Reno-san” <Kazue> 

“I heard you wanted to see the Saint of Riles?” <Emika> 

Emika asked innocently at me. 

  

  

Shai told them my purpose but they don’t know my reason for wanting to meet the Saint of Riles. 

Only Shai knows about the fact that I am an Oracle apprentice. 

I wanted to see what an oracle looks like and that is why I wanted to see the person who they call “The Saint of Riles”. 

  

  

“I wonder what kind of person is the saint.” <Reno> 

Reno said while trying to imagine a saint in her mind. 

“I bet she’s a beauty.” <Emika> 

Emika said while imagining her version of the saint. 

“Speaking of which, Chiho is a saint too Right??” <Akemi> 

Akemi said as she was reminded of the fact that one of their classmates had the job class “Saint” 

“Now that you said that.” <Kazue> 

Then Kazue wondered. 

  

  

Kazue wondered for a while. 

[I know it’s random but I wonder if Chiho is an Oracle too?] 

She thought of the possibility of Chiho being an Oracle after all she is a Saint. 

Kazue, Reno, Emika, and Akemi looked at Shaina to ask for the same thing. 

They were looking at her with eyes that seem to ask the question “What do you think?” 

  

  

“What?” <Shaina> 

Shaina has taken a step back from those eyes. 

“Is the reason why the people of Riles call the oracle the “Saint of Riles” because she has the “Saint” Job class??” <Kazue> 

“Saa (Who knows) ~ I never saw her in person and I don’t know much about the saint myself either.” <Shaina> 

“So much for being a genius” <Kazue> 

“Even how much of a genius I am, there’s no way for me to know everything! At least be thankful that I know something about it! I was never a religious person in the first place.” <Shaina> 

Shaina pouts. 

Shaina being prideful was a bit bothered by the fact that Kazue was looking at her like she was useless and started defending herself. 

  

  

Next day 

It was time for her to leave. 

Kazue says her goodbyes to the Merchant girls, Shaina, the Guild receptionist, and Kirari and her friends. 

She will not be returning to the imperial capital for a while, and she knew deep down in her heart that she would miss these people. 

Kazue walked toward the city gate and looked at it for a long time. 

She will not see this place for a while. 

She also felt at home in this place, but her desire to explore the world is stronger. 

She was excited and lonely at the same time. 

She thought. 

[I had fun here, let’s return here someday.] <Kazue> 

  

 
 

A voice called out Kazue’s name. 

“Yoh! Wolf mom, going out for a mission.” <Guard> 

It was the uncle who works as the city gates guard. 

Kazue shook her head to deny this. 

“Ah, Mr. Guard… No, I’m going on a long journey to Riles.” <Kazue> 

Kazue thought that this person also looked out for her when she was still a beginner. 

In a way, she owes a lot to this person. 

“I see… that’s a shame. It could not be of help you're still young after all. " <Guard> 

The guard nods at his reasoning. 

Guard in tears

 

 

  

  

  

"I see… Aa~ so I will not see your goofy weirdness anymore. But well good luck on your journey.” <Guard> 

The guard made a lonely expression on his face. 

“Thanks, Mr. Guard.” <Kazue> 

Although Kazue was feeling awkward about how the guard sees her, she just forced a smile. 

The guard nods lively at Kazue. 

“Be careful out there! Don’t forget to visit the capital once you become a successful adventurer!” <Guard> 

“YES!” <Kazue> 

“Kuuuu--- Go! Go Now!” <Guard> 

The uncle guard was weeping tears, he was trying to wipe them with the leather parts of his armor. 

Without delay, Kazue walked out the gates and then bowed for the last time. 

  

  

In her journey, Kazue could have ridden a carriage but she decided to walk as an alternative. 

Her reasoning? “I wanted to sightsee while exploring the world.” 

Or so she said, but the actual reason for it was that she did not want to spare more money and pay for the carriage fee. 

  

  

Kazue followed the road that most carriage traverse. 

She holds a map and a compass in her hands. 

“Aa, It would have been nice if there was a “map” interface for me to use just like in games.” <Kazue> 

She said to herself while trying to read the map. 

She started skipping by the road and happily went toward her first stop. 

  

  

Kazue managed to not get lost since she only followed the natural road trails created by the repeated passage of travels, these natural road trails will eventually lead to a village or a city. 

Kazue happily passed through the forest and encountered some monsters. 

With the help of her tamed monsters, Kazue managed to get by all of them without having many problems. 

She even found it very interesting as she spotted monsters that she never encountered near the capital before. 

One example, of those encounters, is the classic monster “goblin”. 

  

  

Goblins are E-ranked monsters, individually they don’t bear much danger. 

These monsters bring dangers for they never act individually, instead, they hunt in groups. 

True enough Kazue encountered 6 goblins trying to look for their prey. 

Despite that, Kazue easily defeated the goblins without any trouble. 

  

  

With the equipment she had right now, those goblins had no chance of defeating her. 

Although Kazue was confident in defeating them without it, the equipment literally placed the nail in the coffin of the goblins. 

The defensive capabilities of the equipment were just too sturdy for the goblins' attack to give Kazue trouble. 

Despite looking like typical clothes, it managed to absorb attacks like it was nothing. 

Out of amusement, Kazue purposely received several hits from a goblin and blocked it using the sleeves of her coat. 

The attack force from the wooden club of the goblin could barely even be felt under the protection of the coat. 

Because of this, Kazue started to think that her investment in this equipment was worth it. 

  

  

It was already noon. 

The sun was up high in the sky. 

It had been a while since Kazue had entered the forest as she followed the road. 

She then appreciated another feature of her new equipment 

The equipment enhancement (Heat Regulation), is maintaining a comfortable temperature for Kazue even though she was under the heat of the sun. 

She was not bothered by the heat of the sun, she did not even notice how hot it was until she looked at her pets. 

Kazue could have continually proceeded with her journey but she noticed that the wolves needed some rest. 

  

  

Kazue rested by the road, took some food in her bag, and shared it with Isamu, Kaori, and Hayate. 

After resting for about an hour she continued her journey. 

All she could see around her were trees, grass, and bushes. 

Although she already walked for several hours all she could see was the same familiar scenery. 

All around her was an endless sea of trees, bushes, and grass. 

  

  

Before she knew it, she noticed that the color of the sky had started to paint a tint of orange color. 

The night was about to fall but she was still inside the forest premises. 

Kazue looked for a spot to spend the night and camp. 

Soon enough she managed to pass by an old camping spot used by other travelers as a used campfire strategically placed on a good flat surface. 

She decided to camp there for the night. 

 
 

 
 

Kazue set up a camp. 

She took a large cloth from her dimensional bag and created a makeshift tent with it using ropes and sticks. 

It did not look so good it looked messy but Kazue thought that it was good enough. 

“I guess this looks ok? Well, I would only use it for tonight…” <Kazue> 

She said while looking at her tamed beast. 

The wolves cutely tilted their head as if saying “What?”. 

  

  

She took a “Flame Mana Crystal” from her bag. 

A flame stone is a type of mana stone similar to an Electric Mana Crystal. 

It could produce flames when poured with mana. 

It was an efficient tool that can be used by anyone as long as they could control mana. 

Luckily when Kazue learned the Aura blade, she was able to manipulate mana to some degree. 

By applying this knowledge and principle of manipulating mana. 

Kazue was able to use the Flame Mana Crystals. 

By pouring mana into the Flame Mana Crystal, it created a flame. 

Kazue used the Flame Mana Crystal as a fire starter to burn twigs and sticks. 

  

  

She sat on a large stone next to the campfire. 

“Guys come here” <Kazue> 

Kazue called for her Pets Isamu, Kaori, and Hayate while tapping the ground. 

The three wolves sat beside Kazue. 

Kazue took food from her bag. 

It was the dried meat of the horned rabbit. 

She gave the wolves three pieces each and ate three herself. 

The wolves ate them quite fast but Kazue ate them slowly by taking a bite at them bit by bit. 

She finds these dried meats quite tasty but not something that she would choose to eat during a heavy meal. 

  

  

[First-night camping alone! I feel like a proper adventurer now! This feels nice.] <Kazue> 

Kazue thought as she stared at the night sky. 

The sky was full of stars, stars can be viewed from where she camped. 

[This world's night sky is really pretty] 

This world had less light pollution compared to the world Kazue was from. 

Making the sky appear to have more stars than what she remembers their world had. 

  

  

She closed her eyes for a moment. 

She started to feel sleepy. 

Kazue entered the tent she set up a while ago. 

Only staring at the campfire she started to feel sleepy. 

The sound of the cracking noise from the fire, the soft cricket noises from all around, and the rustling sound of the wind blowing the leaves of the trees created a lullaby. 

 
 

 
 

-yawn- 

Kazue let out a yawn. 

“Kaori, Isamu, Hayate… I leave the night watch to you” <Kazue> 

[Leave it to us Mother] <Isamu> 

[Okay mother] <Kaori> 

[yes mother] <Hayate> 

The voices of her pet wolf replied to her in her head. 

Kazue nodded at them and let her drowsiness defeat her. 

Kazue completely falls asleep with security from her tamed beast. 

“Tha…n..k zzz” <Kazue> 

  

  

During the week after Kazue decided to leave the capital. 

She tried camping outside with her pet wolves to experience how would things work out when she camps alone with her pets. 

During that time, she realized that she had no one to watch for the night other than her pet wolves. 

She ordered her wolves to guard her as she sleeps and they managed to do well during the night. 

The three would take turns watching during the night and tonight was no exception. 

  

  

Morning. 

The campfire has already died. 

The three wolves were lying with Kazue inside the tent. 

“Good morning.” <Kazue> 

Kazue said toward her pets. 

Only one of them reacted to Kazue's voice and it was Kaori. 

[mother, good morning] <Kaori> 

Kazue got up from the tent. 

She used her coat as a blanket and dried leaves as bedding. 

  

  

She dusted her clothes and fixed herself. 

Kazue stretches her arms to wake up her sleepy body. 

She picked up her Katana and started practicing swings. 

This action of practicing before breakfast had become her routine after becoming an adventurer. 

She would do this for an hour before eating her breakfast to wake up her blood. 

She would practice swings, and footwork, and do an imaginary duel (shadow fighting) imagining different kinds of enemies. 

It serves as a morning exercise as well. 

  

  

When the sun fully rises, she cooled down her body and started eating breakfast with the wolves. 

Later Kazue started her journey once again. 

She encountered several monsters on the way such as goblins, forest bears, giant mantises, horned rabbits, slimes, and the silver-eyed wolf. 

So far the strongest she faced was an “Orc” which was a D-ranked monster. 

  

  

An orc is a D-ranked monster. 

It was the strongest monster she ever encountered during her journey. 

Although she had already read about this monster before at the guild library it was her first time fighting against it. 

She was excited to finally have some challenge after a while. 

It was about as strong as an ordinary ghoul. 

But then Kazue was disappointed after observing the Orc for a while. 

It was big but it was slow, about as fast as the forest bear. 

Its size was about the same as the undead knight but its offensive and defensive ability is significantly weaker. 

She went into an offensive and sliced through the hands of the orc without using a skill. 

She managed to cut it off without a problem. 

Then she defeated the orc by doing a vertical slash on its large stomach. 

The cut was too deep that the orc fell to the ground, its body was almost cut into two. 

The orc weakly twitches on the ground. 

In the end, it was not a challenge for Kazue to defeat it which made her look down on it in disappointment. 

“Too weak, next time I will just let my pet deal with these things.” <Kazue> 

She was looking at the orc’s corpse with a cold gaze. 

  

  

Kazue spends 2 more days on the road before arriving at a certain village. 

She had no other problem with her journey. 

She found signage by the road. 

The word “To Talona Village” was written on it. 

“Finally! A village!” 

She cheered after realizing that she has reached a village. 

There she would ask for directions and replenish her supply. 

  

  

Talona is a simple village with a population of about 400 people. 

This was the first village Kazue visited in this world. 

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

Author Note: 

  

huhu~ I'm very busy this week 

I will try to finish the new cover before I post chapter 40 

 

13