Chapter 3: First Quest.
46 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3: First Quest.

It was breathtaking, that view, the endless sea of green that stretched as far as Odysseus could see. There was just one issue with such a magnificent view.

“Where the heck am I?!” Odysseus let out, his eyes round as he took in the foreign landscape. 

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

Suddenly massive claps of thunder rolled causing Odysseus to tense up and grab onto the tree he stood upon for dear life as the air he breathed suddenly came to taste of sparks and ozone.

WHAT'S GOING ON?! 

Odysseus looked around wildly before his eyes focused on the three prongs of bronze lightning bolts suspended above his head by a few feet.

His eyes went round, observing the weapons that were shaking violently, struggling to move, sparking with electricity but held in place by some unseen-No.

Odysseus narrowed his eyes, there was something there, a vague outline, one shaped in the figure of something with… wings? However, upon making out the figure, Odysseus winced, his eyes shutting where upon opening them again the figure was gone and so too were the bolts of lightning.

“What… what was that?” Odysseus asked aloud, his heart pounding in his chest as a tear fell from his eye. 

Why am I crying again?! 

Annoyed, Odysseus shook his head before affixing his gaze out to the green expanse where his street rat instincts kicked in. 

He was in danger. Something or someone had targeted him for some offense he wasn’t sure of, but it was obvious someone had protected him from the consequences. 

Odysseus decided not to chance staying up in the trees and quickly climbed back down to blend in with the foliage and fauna below.

For hours Odysseus crept low through the trees, stepping lightly on his sheet metal sandals as he scanned his surroundings constantly searching for the three things all street rats prized above all else. 

Food. 

Water.

Shelter.

 

As the malnourished boy moved, the sky above continued to rumble, growling as if angry. If it began to rain Odysseus would be out in the open and burned so despite his stomach pains, he needed to prioritize shelter.

“Damn it.” Odysseus let out, clutching his stomach and eyeing a colorful striped blue and red berry that hung from a bush he passed. 

There was also the issue of him not knowing what was edible and what wasn’t.

Still, he reached out, grabbing attempting to grab the colorful item but stopping as a flash appeared in his mind of… himself.

It was a vision, one of Odysseus on his knees choking, gasping, clawing at his own throat until it became bloody as his tears streamed down his panicked face. 

What? 

Odysseus shook his head, the vision dispelling as he retracted his hand with his breathing labored, his palm inexplicably clammy.

Alright… maybe I don’t have to eat.

Backing off, Odysseus moved on as the sky darkened and his jaw clenched.

Come on. Come on. Come on! Why isn’t there a hole in the earth or a trash box somewhere?! Odysseus grit his teeth, picking up speed. While he wasn’t one to normally panic, the constant rumble of thunder coupled with the darkened sky and dimming forest, it was getting harder and harder to see as day seemed to suddenly turn to night and black clouds shrouded the sun.

“Ah crap crap crap!” Odysseus let out in frustration before turning to a nearby flora that had large thick leaves.

Better than nothing! 

Acting quickly, Odysseus plucked the massive leafs, grabbing them, twisting them, arranging them across his body like padding and even going so far as to stuff thick greenery down his shirt and pants.

Odysseus paused, grabbing a leaf and stuffing extra in his underwear. 

Ah, just in case. 

Now garbed out in green, he took off in a full sprint as droplets fell from the heavens, touching leaves and making his eyes go round with fear.

Pitter and splash, the water falling from above as the world suddenly flashed white, blinding Odysseus for a moment before thunder followed the strike of lightning.

“SHIT!” Odysseus swore, blinking rapidly and running, fleeing from the smoldering earth until his eyes spotted it, shelter, a hole in the earth as water poured down.

NO! NO NONONONONONONO! 

Taking off towards the small outcrop Odysseus ran, begging to unseen forces that the acid rain would hold off long enough for him to get to shelter.

“Come on! Come on! Come ON!” 

But it was too late, the water had come. The uncaring force of nature had descended.

Odysseus kept running, however, not stopping, his eyes squeezed shut to avoid acid touching them as he felt wetness touch his skin. He didn’t stop, not until the atmosphere around him changed and the sounds of his footsteps echoing off cavernous walls caressed his ears.

“Ha! Agh! Shitshitshitshithaiit!!”

Huffing, out of breath, Odysseus rapidly began stripping, attempting to remove the wet garb and drenched plant armor he crafted until he paused, opening his eyes to look down at his body that was…

Still intact?

Odysseus’s jaw dropped, his eyes picking up the crystal clear liquid that was devoid of green and steam, two traits that were associated with the acid rains of Corporate-Chicago.

“Huh?” Confused as to why he wasn’t burning alive, Odysseus rubbed the liquid between his fingers, admiring the clearness. “What… is this?”

“It’s called water my boy.” 

Odysseus spun, his hands raised to defend himself from the voice.

“WHOSE THERE?!” Odysseus called out, scanning his surroundings that were empty save for the rocky formations that comprised the cave the young man took shelter in.

The voice laughed, unhinged laughter that bounced and echoed through the cave and made a tingle of fear tickle Odsseus’s spine. 

Odysseus wet his lips as his eyes narrowed. 

“A friend.” The voice spoke before a firm hand grabbed hold of Odysseus’s shoulder.

Jolting, Odysseus clenched his jaw with his eyes wide at the person who stood… no. floated?! 

At the entrance of the cave was a floating tanned man with curly blonde hair, large toes stuffed in wooden sandals, and yellow-tinted sunglasses on his feminine face. He was nearly nine feet tall, the man dressed in cargo shorts and a floral-pattern dress shirt with the top four buttons undone to expose a defined chest that had a necklace with a weird horseshoe symbol on it.

“That’s funny, I don’t recall having a friend that’s nine feet tall.” Odysseus said with skepticism, backing off from the figure, his eyes attempting to find escape routes. “Or any friends really.”

“Odysseus! You wound me! You’re like my favorite person buddy! Well, favorite after my great-grandson.” The man said before suddenly vanishing.

WHAT!?

“I’d never hurt you.” The man purred, craning his head over Odysseus’s shoulder to smile at him with a wide predatory expression.

“So… You know… who I am.” Odysseus said slowly and cautiously, suddenly feeling as though he were suffocating. “I don’t think I’ve met you personally.”

“Sure you-” The man began before his expression warped. “Ah, oops. Interesting... Seems I can’t give spoilers, ah you little tricksters!!”

Can I run? Would I even get far?  

Odysseus pondered his options and stared at the being who was busy muttering to himself and stroking his chin.

“So… who are you? What do you know about me?” Odysseus asked, figuring he’d try and make the most of the situation to learn what he could.

“Ha, hahaha. You really did…. I’M THE MESSENGER OF THE GODS BABY!” The man proclaimed, his arms outstretched, with his head held upwards in pride with the cave illuminating in a basking glow.

“G-gods?” Odysseus whispered, his voice quivering.

“Yes! And I’ve got a message for you!” The man said, lifting his sunglasses to reveal glowing golden eyes that held no pupils.

Odysseus winced, the image of a narrow face with no features save for pupilless eyes appearing in his mind.

“Ah, hey buddy, you ok there? You lookin a bit pale, did my charming looks finally get ya?”

“What?” Odysseus replied, shaking his head.

“Nothing.” The man groaned before palming Odysseus’s head with his large hand. “Hark and behold, receive the will of the gods! You fabulous OD-YSS-E-US! have been chosen to receive this writ!” 

“What?” Odysseus replied again before floating text filled his view.

You have entered the Tower of The Gods.

Now prove you are worthy of remaining inside its walls.

Survive for 336 Hours

Reward: Entry into First Floor.

Failure: Death.

D-DEATH?! Odysseus’s eyes went round.

0