Case 30: A guide to overcome your internal demon ft. Kierra.
1.4k 10 96
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A bribe of three candies was enough for the little Mie Xieren to give in.

Rolling one in her mouth, she happily took Kierra on a tour of Emei. The archwizard noticed that this child was using some sort of stealth spell, so she also followed suit.

First, they arrived at a normal-looking building.

''This is where we store our weapons.''

''This small?''

In contrast to the current Emei's weapon storage, this one was pathetically smaller. When they went to another area, Kierra realized something.

''What is this grass field?'' She asked.

''It's just a field. No one uses it for anything.''

Yet there were some cramped spots Kierra had seen before. The planning was awful, it seemed. Next, they arrived at a rundown house.

''This one... is supposed to be our medicine department, but those idiots ate all the funds, so this is how it looks.''

''I see.''

Kierra could see the anger in the little girl's eyes. As they journeyed and stumbled upon various locations, it became evident that the state of the Emei sect was not favorable.

Considering the Emei Kierra visited back in the real world, this little girl must have been working hard to change this miserable shape. Noticing the little girl lost in her thoughts, Kierra gently stroked her head.

''Do you want to change all of this?'' She asked.

''Who wouldn't?'' Mie Xieren laughed bitterly. ''Yet, I am but a simple child.''

How this girl was able to find motivation was a curious mystery. Nevertheless, Kierra had not seen the presence of the internal demon yet, so it was time to wait patiently.

Just like that, Kierra broke up with the girl, putting a tracking spell on her, before roaming freely around Emei. She visited Mie Xieren the next day, the day after—essentially every day from that point onward. On the first day, Mie Xieren was still reluctant. On the second day, she began to create scenarios on her own. On the third day, she cooked up some simple plans. On the fourth day, she—

''...''

Watching the little girl develop her resolve day by day was something Kierra could never relate to. Initially, she didn't have any dreams or grand wishes; she just wanted to live an everyday, happy life. When she came to realize her power, Kierra instantly wanted to reach the top. She was simply this kind of person.

In the end, it took the little Mie Xieren a whole month to finally decide on her actions.

''I shall do it!'' She shouted. ''This sect shall flourish under my leadership!''

At this time, the world suddenly contorted. When it stabilized, Kierra noticed the surroundings hadn't changed much, if not worse than before. Having experienced this phenomenon before, the archwizard calmly stood up and set out to find the little girl again.

Walking on the street once again, Kierra soon stumbled upon a large crowd. She quickly flew to the top of a building to see the commotion.

''—others, sisters! Emei is now one step away from death!''

On the stage was a teenage girl passionately giving a speech. From the fact that she had dark blue hair and red eyes—the same as the little girl and the proud abbess—it was apparent that this was Mie Xieren. 

The little girl had matured quite a lot. Her playful manners seemed to have disappeared, replaced by a stoic front and a serious attitude.

''The once prosperous, once powerful and respected Emei is now being frowned at, chased out, and neglected!'' Mie Xieren continued. ''So it is only right that we need to change! By removing those greedy people at the top who are stealing our salary to—''

''Stop!''

''Argh, you bunch...!''

Suddenly, a dozen people stormed in and swiftly apprehended Mie Xieren.

'What a situation...'

Kierra sighed and used telekinesis to remove those people, then brought Mie Xieren up.

''Woah...! I'm flying... wait, you are!''

''Hm?''

''The strange woman who gave me candies that day!''

(ꐦ𝅒_𝅒)

''At least remember my name.''

''Ah, eh... Kierra, right...?''

''Yes, little girl.''

After conversing with Mie Xieren a little more, Kierra found out that this was seven years into the future. The soon-to-be abbess, now a teenager, was doing her best to take over Emei. 

''Anyway, it is nice to see you after a long time, Kierra.''

''...Likewise.''

''Then, I have to go now, unfortunately.'' Mie Xieren smiled lightly. ''I have an appointment with my allies, you see.''

''Hm. Good luck.''

The girl's resolve seemed to have only gotten stronger, but there was also a problem. Kierra sensed an abnormality in her attitude, signaling that the internal demon might have appeared right then. 

As she was about to trail Mie Xieren, the world, again, glitched. This time, the town definitely grew better, but not nearly to the extent of the real Emei. 

Mie Xieren was no longer on the street but in a big building near the heart of Emei. Spying on her through the window, Kierra saw a completely transformed Mie Xieren.

The way she dressed changed, the way she acted changed, and the way she felt changed. Mie Xieren now was a full-fledged cold beauty with a demeanor that did not lose to Kierra's own. 

When conversing with her subordinates, Mie Xieren displayed an overly strict attitude, with a mind full of work and efficiency. She looked lonely and not exactly happy.

Moreover, as the woman was immersed in tall stacks of paperwork, Kierra noticed a dark aura following her. This was definitely the internal demon.

Then, as if promised, the weird phenomenon happened to the world again. Emei was now flourishing just as a certain girl wanted, yet the very girl was seen sitting gloomily on top of the tallest mountain.

Her once vivid red eyes, ones that did not lose to Kierra's own, seemed dead.

Seeing a person's complete transformation over the years was certainly something. Morbid curiosity, that was it. Kierra now understood why people made biographies of her.

Nevertheless, she needed to save this poor soul. So she teleported to right behind the abbess, prompting her to turn around.

Mie Xieren's eyes widened for a brief moment. ''You are...''

''Long time no see, little girl,'' Kierra replied calmly.

''Hah. You are about the only one who called me that.'' 

''Have you achieved your dream?''

''I... I... think I did.''

[No, you didn't]

The thick mist of something dark whispered into the abbess's ears.

''That's right, I didn't...''

[You need to work harder]

''Of course...''

[Power, wealth, and honor—those are all you need]

''Power, wealth—''

''Stop.''

Kierra couldn't stand it anymore.

Perhaps because of the pressure coming from everybody when she shouldered the responsibility to fix Emei, perhaps because of the nonstop work from a very young age, or perhaps because of everything that had happened to her, Mie Xieren had cornered herself, forcing herself to become a mere puppet for power.

'...I see now.'

Kierra finally understood it.

At the end of the day, both of them were just human. Kierra had better luck with her career, having supportive people around her, while this girl likely didn't.

So this was it.

Kierra just needed to become that person to Mie Xieren.

The archwizard took a step forward—two steps—three steps. When she was right in front of Mie Xieren, Kierra reached her hands out.

''...Oh.''

And hugged her.

96