Chapter 104 – Zaraki
441 5 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘As long as I'm within this barrier, and the spiritual particles I've released can touch Sōsuke Aizen's Kyōka Suigetsu blade, I won't be affected by its abilities.

I have to admit, Gin Ichimaru is a genius. In just three months, he's become proficient at applying this ability in combat. Over time, once Gin has mastered this skill to the point of instinct, with this ability alone, he will have earned the right to stand before Aizen.

Of course, that's only the right. After all, in terms of innate talent, Aizen is by no means inferior to Gin.’

Suddenly, Ailin sensed an extremely powerful killing intent approaching. This killing intent was pure, without a shred of malice, as if its very existence was solely for the sake of killing.

"Gin, we have a visitor. Let's end today's training here."

Upon hearing Ailin's voice, Gin abruptly opened his eyes and unsheathed the Zanpakutō at his waist.

"Tsk—"

Without any obstruction, Gin's blade pierced straight through the mask of the Hollow before him, killing it. Then, Gin sidestepped, thrusting his sword forward, and the second Hollow impaled itself on Gin's blade. Afterward, Gin flashed past the final Hollow.

After easily dispatching the three practice Hollows, Gin returned to Ailin's side.

Thud, thud, thud...

Heavy footsteps gradually approached, accompanied by an immense killing intent. As Gin looked up, a towering figure entered his vision.

Upon seeing this silhouette, Gin's pupils constricted. For an instant, it seemed as if all color had drained from the world. This towering figure's gaze alone felt like countless blades piercing through Gin's body.

Darkness momentarily clouded Gin's vision, and as the illusion dissipated, he realized his entire body was drenched in cold sweat.

Uncertainty flickered in Gin's eyes. That this person's unconscious killing intent alone could create the illusion of death was terrifying. What a horrifying being.

Ailin stood before this man, his expression solemn, as the figure blocked Gin's path. Tattered clothes, disheveled hair standing on end like needles, and a battered Zanpakutō gripped in his hand.

On his shoulder sat a small girl, perhaps only a few years old.

This was Zaraki, not yet known as "Kenpachi," and the young Yachiru Kusajishi whom he had found.

Ailin had thought he might encounter this person decades later during a captain's challenge in the 11th Division. But he never expected that after just a few months of training Gin, they would come across him.

"Hahahahaha, you seem pretty strong! Let's fight!" Zaraki's mouth stretched into a wide grin, almost reaching his ears, at the sight of Ailin.

In these past few centuries, he had killed nearly all the strong fighters in the Rukongai districts.

The man before him today had rekindled Zaraki's long-absent desire for battle. It seemed he would finally be able to thoroughly enjoy the thrill of combat again!

"Gin, step back ten kilometers..."

Ailin began to instruct Gin to retreat, but then his brow furrowed slightly. "Never mind, no need. Gin, you'll be the one to fight him."

A battle between captain-level combatants could potentially impact an area with a three-kilometer radius, affecting even vice-captains.

Ailin had intended for Gin to retreat further, as although a genius, Gin had trained for less than two years since entering the Shin'ō Academy and had yet to fully manifest his Zanpakutō. Additionally, Ailin anticipated that his clash with Zaraki might have a wider area of impact.

However, after carefully observing Zaraki, Ailin lost all interest in fighting him.

Zaraki Kenpachi could be considered the pinnacle of genius in the Soul Society's world. Born with the strongest level of spiritual pressure and an innate bloodlust woven into his very being.

Centuries ago, Zaraki encountered Yachiru Unohana, and their intense battle allowed him to experience the thrill of fighting a powerful opponent.

Unfortunately, as their combat continued, Unohana's strength gradually surpassed Zaraki's. To prolong the enjoyment of fighting Unohana, Zaraki unconsciously suppressed his spiritual pressure, keeping himself on par with her for intense battles. Ultimately, Unohana, with her superior swordsmanship, defeated Zaraki.

After tasting the joy of battle, Zaraki spent the following years engaging in countless fights. However, contrary to growing stronger through combat, Zaraki grew weaker.

To relish the thrill of battle, he had instinctively suppressed his spiritual pressure. Thus, after defeating all the strong opponents, even the weak found themselves on Zaraki's list of opponents to fight. In the end, Zaraki had successfully suppressed himself to become weak!

"What?"

Hearing Ailin's words, both Gin and Zaraki were stunned.

"Hey, hey, hey, I wanted to fight you, not some kid!" Zaraki protested.

"I have no interest in fighting the weak. If you want to fight me, then defeat my disciple first."

Shaking his head at Zaraki, Ailin rejected his challenge and turned to Gin. "Gin, he's an excellent opponent. Perhaps you can defeat him in his current state."

"His current state?" Gin was perceptive, sensing something from Ailin's words.

"Yes, I'll do my best to defeat him." Stepping out from behind Ailin, Gin faced Zaraki and unsheathed his Zanpakutō.

"Hahahahaha... So you're the one fighting me, huh? But kid, I won't hold back against you, not if I want to fight that man."

"Ah, that's precisely what I desire."

Gin narrowed his eyes. Now, although he could still sense the aura of a wild beast and immense killing intent from this man, he also realized that these were merely surface impressions.

It seemed this man possessed only pure killing intent and a crazed desire for battle, without applying any technique.

"Go, Kenny!" The small girl on Zaraki's shoulder called out before hopping down, her short legs carrying her behind a rock where she peeked out to watch the fight.

Swish!

Clang!

Zaraki and Gin charged at each other at blinding speeds, their Zanpakutō clashing. The impact sent Gin skidding backward, leaving long trails in the ground.

"Powerful strength and speed, but—"

From that single exchange, Gin sensed the gap in their abilities.

"I can still fight!"

"Observation Haki —"

Although he didn't understand why this technique of merging one's spiritual pressure with Kidō spells was called "Observation Haki," Gin found it well-suited to his fighting style.

Clang! Clang!

In the ensuing battle, Gin unleashed a barrage of attacks against Zaraki, guided by the heightened senses granted by Observation Haki.

"Hahahahaha, hahahahaha..."

As the fight progressed, Zaraki gradually forgot his initial intention of defeating Gin to challenge Ailin.

The increasingly frenzied Zaraki unconsciously suppressed his spiritual pressure once more, engaging Gin in intense combat.

"Hm? His spiritual pressure is weakening, and so is the force behind his sword strikes. What's going on?"

Through Observation Haki, Gin sensed the changes in Zaraki's state. Although he didn't understand the reason, it did allow Gin to match the force behind Zaraki's attacks for an even more intense battle.

***

Ailin had yet to fight at full power, leaving his true strength uncertain. How exhilarating it would be to engage in a satisfying, all-out battle.

Watching Gin and Zaraki's clash, Ailin felt a twinge of envy. Suddenly, his brow furrowed.

"Oh? What day is it today? For both of them to show up..."

An extremely sharp spiritual pressure was rapidly approaching Ailin's location. Although the aura had changed, one's spiritual pressure was impossible to conceal. In an instant, Ailin recognized the source of this killing intent.

"The first Kenpachi, Yachiru Unohana..." His gaze distant, Ailin felt puzzled.

"This form... could it be that Unohana has learned of Zaraki's condition and aims to awaken him here, restoring his full power?"

Although perplexed, Ailin had no intention of avoiding her. Whether Zaraki regained his true strength or not made no difference to Ailin. In fact, Ailin was almost anticipating the chance to clash with Zaraki at his peak.

Swish!

Unohana's arrival did not disrupt the ongoing battle between Zaraki and Gin. Originally, Unohana had intended to seek out Ailin for a "Kenpachi" duel tonight. But when she landed beside Ailin and saw the figure fighting a child, she trembled.

The wound on her chest seemed to ache once more. In that moment, Unohana forgot about Ailin, her gaze fixated solely on the battle-crazed Zaraki.

But the more she watched, the more vacant her stare became. So weak, so weak, so weak...

How could this man have become so weak?

After observing for a while, Unohana quickly realized that this man was unconsciously suppressing his spiritual pressure to engage the small figure in battle.

This scene reminded Unohana of their own battles centuries ago, where Zaraki had unknowingly lowered his power to match her weakness and prolong their combat.

The inability to elicit her opponent's full strength, even while exerting her own, and requiring their unconscious restraint was a humiliation for Unohana and the "Kenpachi" title itself.

Realizing her own weakness, upon returning to the Seireitei, Unohana had abandoned her position as the 11th Division Captain to study Kaido from Tenjirō Kirinji, transforming her sword into a Zanpakutō.

All of this was for the sole purpose of becoming strong enough to make this man fight her at his full power and relish their battles.

After mastering the healing techniques and integrating the ability to turn spiritual pressure into a blood-red hot spring into her Zanpakuto's Bankai, Unohana has always looked forward to the day she would meet Zaraki again, eagerly anticipating the moment when the boy could unleash his full power and enjoy the pleasure of battle.

But she never imagined their reunion would lead to this outcome. Soon, by observing Zaraki's battle with Gin, Unohana understood the reason for his weakened state.

In her absence, this unnaturally strong man had deemed no one else worthy, mercilessly killing any strong opponents that crossed his path.

It was she who had ignited his enjoyment of battle. And it was also she who had inadvertently caused this man to suppress his spiritual pressure in pursuit of that thrill. The root cause of this man's weakened state was none other than herself!

"Captain Unohana?" Seeing the dazed Unohana, Ailin called out in concern. "What's the matter?"

Ignoring Ailin, Unohana was shaken by Zaraki's transformation and their reunion.

For over ten minutes, Unohana silently watched their battle. Eventually, the clash between Gin and Zaraki reached its conclusion.

Although Zaraki had suppressed his spiritual pressure to the limit, his overall spiritual power remained unchanged.

Gin, on the other hand, had a finite amount of spiritual power. Once depleted, instead of stubbornly persisting, Gin retreated behind Ailin.

"I'm sorry, Captain Ailin. I failed to defeat him."

"No, you did well, Gin. When faced with an insurmountable opponent, preserving your own strength is crucial." Patting Gin's shoulder, Ailin approved of his decision.

Gin was a snake, slithering in the shadows, striking only when certain of his lethal blow. This was Gin's true nature.

"Hm?"

Losing his opponent, Zaraki turned his gaze toward Ailin. Upon seeing Unohana beside him, Zaraki's pupils constricted.

"Hahahahaha, hahahahaha..."

Of all his battles over the centuries, the ones Zaraki enjoyed most were his clashes with this woman centuries ago.

Unfortunately, he had been defeated by her sword back then. All these years, he had relished the memory of that battle. He believed she felt the same way.

To experience that exhilarating combat once more, Zaraki had never strayed far from the site of their initial battle, hoping for her return and another life-or-death duel.

 

Thank you for the Ratings/Likes and Comments. Your support is the greatest encouragement for me!

Become a member at:
https://www.patreon.com/ZenpaiTrans

 

27