Together Alone
163 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I found myself in a place covered with glasses all over. It's like a greenhouse, but no plants bloomed. There were a lot of seats available and on the corners, steel railings safeguarded it.

One girl, in particular, lounged her body at the railing; her eyes gazed towards the distance. Like her entire being was focused on viewing the scenery out there.

It might seem rude—but I felt, I had to talk to her, no matter what.

"Are you alone?"

"Yes, I'm always alone as well."

The girl let out the brightest smile I've ever witnessed with my own eyes.

She asked me, why do I feel down?

Despite her being merely a stranger, I couldn't help but let my thoughts out.

It's okay...they would just pretend to listen and leave, everyone is already that way to me. I know I'm just someone insignificant in everyone's lives.

"I don't think life is worth living at all. Nobody ever understands me. Nobody really cared about me—it's like, the entire world is conspiring to isolate me away."

As I said such words, a tear began forming on the corner of my eyes...I don't care if she insulted me for it.

"Maybe it's fine?" the girl waved her hands a few times in front of my face, "Maybe the world had a special plan. It's better to be alone rather than be with people who make you miserable."

"I never think about it that way."

"Hehe!"

She distanced herself from me a bit, before twirling her body, brimming with energy.

While I rested myself on the nearby seat.

'Must be nice, to think of the world in such a positive way.'

I didn't think me and she had something in common. It didn't seem she understood what I'm going through as well.

"Hey."

While I was engrossing myself in self-depreciation, the girl gave my cheek a light tap.

"Why being alone makes you sad?"

"I just...don't like being alone. It's just really sad...not having anyone precious, to share my days with. It made me feel so empty."

"Do you think it's impossible for someone to be happy while alone? I tried it—and it's not that hard."

"Well..."

When I think about it again.

All those stories in anime and manga always depict togetherness as a beautiful thing. That we always crave for someone's warmth, that true friendship can create miracles...

Although...

"Those popular stories weren't made, to tell the truth, you know? It's for money. You see incorrect ideas getting spammed left and right because it can move people's hearts, despite it being incorrect."

Like she was able to read my mind...she continued:

"In the end, they're just someone else's opinion—not yours. It's understandable, you didn't even think your life is worth living—you didn't even live according to what you believe in!"

Her words seem to shake me at the very core.

That's right.

Even if the philosophy rang true for most people, I'm not like them.

...but, I don't know what I want in life. I'm just following the stream until I find it too painful to go on.

The girl gave me a tap in the shoulder.

"It's okay. You can do it. The world has no right to dictate whether you should be happy or not."

"...but, how am I going to find out who I want to do?"

"Just be honest with yourself. You don't have to find them. They will come to you—but this time, please don't reject them anymore...alright?"

Be honest with myself?

"Hey...who are y--"

I never saw the girl again after that.

...but I somehow knew; we're really close together. Knowing she was there, it always manages to warm up my heart.

As for my life goals...

I guess I just want to get rich and powerful by doing nothing.

While I have no idea how to achieve them, just thinking that I had my own goal, already made me feel—I got this somehow.

I'm on my way to be the captain of my own happiness.

4