Chapter 8: This Witch is Taking the Stage
1.1k 22 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sumire didn’t expect to be talented in magic. But what could she expect, given random transportation to another world and strange promises from an aloof Goddess Kreah? However, Sumire was launching fireballs at a target, surrounded by knights in ornate red plate armor. All seven heroes were given gifts, and hers was magical prowess. 

To think that a week ago, I was serving detention with all of these hoodlums. Now, they were all being served by maids and having the kingdom watch them like idols. She launched an icicle at another target and shattered it. 

Sumire grinned as the knights praised her. Maybe this isn’t so bad?

This situation is terrible! It was so cliche being surrounded by bandits. And all of us in the back were just helpless maidens! Where was the police force? Traveling actors needed guards, yet we were without them. The bandits surrounded us, eying our bodies with their lecherous eyes. There were ten of them, and their leader was the first to walk forward.

“If you surrender now, we will only take the girls,” the bandit leader said as he exaggeratedly licked his dagger and drew blood. “If you don’t surrender, then me and my boys here will rough you up a little and take everything.” He finished with an evil laugh befitting a ruffian.

“There’s no way we will surrender,” Wood Beach said, “I will have you know we are C-rank adventurers. I am sure there is a hefty reward on your head.”

“I see,” the bandit leader said, “so you have chosen death?” He looked at his criminal comrades. “Gettem boys!”

As soon as the action started, the world seemed to slow—almost like it was driven by divine providence. The bandits rushed forward, and I could tell they were giving it their all. However, they were all moving in slow motion. I looked at the acting troupe, and it was the same for them. Time was slowed almost to a halt. I knew a Goddess had been watching me. The writing was on the walls. 

I thought back to that merchant who said something about such a person. In the slow world, I felt like I had all the time to think. Since I started pondering, the bandits had not finished their first step. I looked at the disgusting bandit leader, who still had his tongue sticking out. I wondered why anyone would do such a thing, but that thought didn’t matter much. The only thing of import was they were enemies. 

They were bandits bent on harming helpless maidens. I knew my magic was weak, but if the world had slowed, I could prove helpful for once. I smiled at the thought. I’d be able to upgrade from a bag carrier!

I didn’t know what spell to try, so I approached the bandit leader, raising my staff high. When I arrived, there was a hint of disbelief in his eyes, but it mattered not. I brought the staff down on his head. 

Blood splattered onto my robes as his head exploded. I couldn’t believe it. He really died in one hit. 

I shook my head. I knew what this was. It was special effects. I walked up to another slow-motion bandit and put magic into my voice to test the waters.

“Interesting,” I said. The bandit’s body reacted to the magic sound waves of my voice and disintegrated. 

It looked like my acting debut was already starting. If that was the case, I had to ensure that my first performance would be memorable. Only eight bandits were left. That was just enough for me. Returning to my original position next to the carriage, time seemed to return to normal. 

Just as the bandits were in a panic over their comrades—shouting and wondering about what happened—I started casting my coup de grace. I raised my staff high, a swirling red mist surrounding the tip. I knew I needed the perfect act, so I made my face serious. I narrowed my eyes at the bandits as if looking at trash.

“Blood rose,” I said, pointing my staff at the remaining enemies. The spell reacted instantly, a giant red mist lurching forward and enveloping all of them. Their screams went silent. The mist coalesced on their bodies and spread downwards. 

Then, all at once, giant roses pierced their bodies. They spread from the ground, shooting into the air. By the time the roses reached twenty feet, the bandit’s bodies had disappeared—becoming nothing more than red petals in the wind. 

I smiled in satisfaction and looked towards the acting troupe. I had been expecting immediate praise, but their reactions were even better. They were all stunned to silence, mouths agape. 

That was until the elf, Hela, ran over to me, grabbing my shoulders and shaking me. “E-e-e-eerie!” 

“I know. Was it a bit much?” I asked. I knew a lot of directors would probably not appreciate melodrama. 

“A bit much? That was way too much! If I had known, you could do that. No, we must tell—”

“Hela, you are bothering her,” Mary said, separating the elf’s arms from me.

“I am bothering her? Did you know about this?”

“I wasn’t certain, but now I am sure.”

Wood Beach entered into their conversation. “Isn’t she even better than the court wizard?” 

Tank, who had usually only grunted, walked forward. He lifted the lower half of his helm to me, exposing his cracked mouth. “Who. Are. You?” He asked and pointed his sword at me.

“Wait, stop!” Mary said, grabbing the tip of his sword. 

“No. Dangerous.”

“She is not our enemy. Lower your weapon.”

Tank obliged her request, slowly lowering the sword and covering his mouth again. He simply grunted and walked back to the carriage. 

Their acting skills were simply unbelievable. I felt envious from watching them. I wanted to ask if I could take the stage after that performance, but I still had much more to learn. 

“Eerie,” Mary said, drawing closer. Her face had once again become scary, even though her lips were upturned.

“Y-yes?”

“We’re going to have a long talk later.”

65