36. Off to next problem
83 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kai’s expectations came true.

After he dragged Erasmus out in the street, the whole town knew that Kai paid off the debt and dealt with the Tradeheart Merchant company.

And with that, the headquarters were deserted. Even the low-level clerks left the city behind, not wanting to get caught and being scared of actions against them.

It wasn’t something major to care about, as Kai’s main intention was to state his authority to the public. Every organisation in the city and neighbouring states knew not to mess with him without a second thought due to that.

It was just the start— but regardless, it was a start. The other necessary things that were needed to do to get the economy of the city running again were at the back of his list.

One of those included the mines.

Kai had been watching them for quite some time. He received the information about the bandit group who occupied the mine.

Therefore, after recruiting guards, he was finally ready to take it on.

Kai’s shoulders were released from the taut position, while he let out a deep breath. They were in an office room where Killian and the guards gathered to discuss a few matters which included the bandits.

"Well done, everyone," he said, his voice gruff. He smiled, showing appreciation to everyone. "A swift and decisive victory. Tradeheart won't be troubling us any time soon."

The guards puffed up their chests with proud smiles on their faces. Killian nodded his head. “It was all due to your commands, Lord Arzan."

Kai offered Killian a small, genuine smile. "Everyone played the part. Now, let's turn our attention to more pressing matters." He gestured towards a large map spread out on the table, its surface dominated by the sprawling network of tunnels that snaked beneath the city— the mines.

"These bandits we need to deal with," Kai began, his voice turning serious. "They seem to be operating from a specific location within the mines." He pointed to a heavily shaded area on the map, a cluster of crudely drawn structures marking a small settlement.

"According to our observations," Francis added, his voice devoid of emotion as he traced a path with his finger. "There's a small worker settlement there and the bandits are using it a makeshift housing for themselves and people they have captured as slaves. There are watchtowers erected, giving them a clear view of any approaching threat. They were there to look out for any monsters, but now, it's a huge advantage for the bandits."

A frown creased Kai's brow as he studied the map. "Slaves?" he echoed, his voice hardening. "It seems these bandits aren't just interested in harassing travellers."

"Yes, Lord Arzan," Killian confirmed, his gaze fixed on the map. “There’s been reports that they have captured people from nearby villagers, mostly women. There's also a few miners who weren't able to run away when they attacked the mines.”

Kai didn't have to think twice about what they were doing with the slaves. His rage rekindled as the discussion continued.

“They have been trying to mine there and ship it out to other places for good coin,” Francis said. “Though, it's been slow since no one wants to deal with them. Anyone doing so would automatically break the kingdom's law.”

Kai looked at the map with curious eyes.

He couldn't help but think about the leader of this bandit group— a man known only as "Grekk the Pulverizer."

“Grekk the Pulverizer… That’s how he’s being called, right?” He asked, tilting his head, finding the title strange and amusing.

“Yes, he leads the Black Ravens.” Killian frowned as he talked about the leader of them, “Grekk isn't just a mindless thug. He had a history of being an intelligent individual and a history of violence. More than that, he had worked in the army where he got good battle experience. He fought in the 2nd Dark Rose War. But the guy was thrown out for war crimes,” Killian said and paused before continuing, “He was rumoured to kill a subordinate, simply because he couldn’t control his anger, and abused women against their own will in villages. Both cases were reported. So, he was kicked out. Part of the reason was also because he punched a superior right in the face.”

A moment of silence was passed between everyone.

“Even if he had been in the army, he sure had the guts to go after a noble's territory. A power-hungry guy who can't think far into the future.” Kai broke the silence and nodded, tracing the route to the bandit settlement with his finger.

He had seen individuals like him a lot. There was more than one case of protectors of a city doing more heinous crimes than even the worst prisoners, just due to their lust for power and authority.

“This wouldn't be a simple raid.”

He traced the path to the bandit settlement with his finger, a grim realisation settling on his features. His lips pursed to a thin line as he sighed— Killian's briefing painted a disturbing picture in his mind.

"Once he got out, he started The Black Ravens with a hundred bandits under him. Over half had been in the army while others were taken from small bandit groups," Killian rumbled, continuing on the origins of the guy. "Most of them past their prime, more belly than brawn, but veterans nonetheless. They wouldn't win a stand-up fight, but they have lived in the settlement for months now. And they're ruthless."

He hesitated for a moment, his jaw clenching. "And there's the matter of the… women." Disgust coloured his voice as he spoke of the kidnapped villagers forced to serve the bandits. “The villagers tried to fight, but it’s been tough with the command being non-existent.”

Kai barely controlled his mana from flaring up. The prisoners would be a big problem. He didn't want them to get caught up in their plans.

“We need to pull up our forces. It's not going to be easy, but we are going to make a statement out of them." Kai’s voice grew colder with every word.

Killian nodded curtly. "Agreed, Lord Arzan. But how strong a force are we talking about?"

Kai's gaze swept across the room, taking in the determined faces of the guards. They were front-line guards who were trained to work closely with Killian.

"We bring half our forces," Kai said. "Fifty well-trained guards, myself, and you, Killian. That should be enough to crack Grekk's little fiefdom and send those bandits scattering like frightened roaches."

A hint of a smile played on Killian's lips. He chuckled— a dry, humourless sound. "Half our forces, Lord Arzan? With all due respect, that's overkill. You alone could probably handle half those bandits."

Kai raised an eyebrow, a surprised glint in his eyes. "While I appreciate the vote of confidence, Killian, underestimating our enemy is a recipe for disaster."

"Not in this case," Killian countered, his voice firm. "These bandits are a disorganised lot. Nasty, certainly, but far from the toughest opponents we've faced. Remember the necromancer incident last year? Compared to that, this will be a walk in the park."

"True," he admitted. “But complacency is a danger too. We can't afford to get sloppy."

At least not when we know that Grekk is trained in an army and would pull up anything to keep us away. Kai thought to himself and looked at Killian.

Killian straightened up, his gaze sweeping across the room, meeting the determined eyes of his companions. "Very well, then I suggest we'll take a smaller yet stronger force – forty of our best guards, myself, and you, Lord Arzan. That should be enough to send a message."

A collective murmur of agreement rippled through the room. Forty elite guards, with Kai by their side. It seemed possible by how Killian explained their situation.

Kai turned towards the guards, his voice hardening with resolve. "Men," he boomed, his voice echoing in the room. "For too long, these bandits have plagued our lands, harassing travellers and stealing from our people. They have grown comfortable in their arrogance, believing they can run rampant on our soil with impunity."

His gaze burned with righteous anger. "But today, that ends. Today, we show them the true meaning of pride and honour. Today, we reclaim what is rightfully ours! We march into those mines not just to liberate the innocent, but to send a message. A message that says our city will not tolerate those who seek to exploit and plunder!"

In the end, he smirked, “They’ll be paying with their lives.”

The guards cheered loudly, excited by what Kai had in mind.

***

Ansel, a man who sat to the side of the road wiped his brow with a grimy sleeve, taking a long swig from his waterskin.

His throat felt like sandpaper, and his lips were cracked and bleeding. It had been too cold for him to continue walking for a long time.

A few more hours, he thought, squinting towards the horizon.

The city of Veralt should be just around the next bend, according to the sketchy map he'd bartered for in the last village.

He'd heard rumours about Veralt— once a prosperous city, it had turned desolate after the last lord had passed away and the new one wasn't interested in the matter of governance.

With bandit attacks and a migrating population, it was supposed to turn into a ghost city sooner or later.

But lately, those whispers had taken a hopeful turn.

Talk of a new leader, a Mage who had driven out the merchants and was cleaning house.

Ansel wasn't one for believing rumours, but he was a traveller and it was his life path to visit every place. With everything surrounding Veralt, it just felt like the right place for his next destination.

Maybe he could even find something interesting enough to hold his attention there.

He hoisted himself up from the shade of the gnarled tree, wincing at the protest from his aching muscles. It's time to get back on the road.

Just as he reached for his horse's reins, a faint sound caught his attention— a rhythmic thudding—hooving in the distance.

He squinted, his hand hovering in mid-air. The sound grew steadily louder, accompanied by a low rumble that vibrated through the ground.

His heart hammered against his ribs. What in the world…?

Curiosity warring with caution, he decided to investigate. He tethered his horse to a low-hanging branch and crept towards a rise in the ground that offered a better vantage point.

As he crested the small hill, his breath hitched.

There, on the dusty road below, a sight unfolded that sent a jolt of adrenaline through him.

A group of quite a large number of people, clad in gleaming armour, galloped their way through the street, their expressions grim and determined.

In the middle—surrounded by the rest of the guards, two figures gained his attention for how differently they were dressed. One was a tall, imposing man with an air of authority, the other an armoured man who had a mysterious aura surrounding him.

Are those guards? But, where are they headed?

Ansel's jaw dropped as he couldn’t believe his eyes. There were a lot of them, and it wasn’t a usual sight for him.

He felt a deep urge to turn and flee, to disappear back into the anonymity of the dusty road.

But a strange sense of fascination kept him rooted to the spot. He watched, mesmerised, as the army marched on.

I wish I could see where they’re headed.

-

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/extra26

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/nc3hVSCP2n

10