Chapter 15.
889 6 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 15.

The sun was barely rising, its light was just now reaching the eastern walls of the City of Laria. It would’ve been a peaceful morning for most people, but for Thieney it was incredibly stressful⁠. Amber had yet to return, which meant she had probably met her demise. That thought alone made him begin shaking. 

Lorsan and Emma were resting, their condition was still precarious but Thieney was certain that they would both survive. They would just be in a lot of pain for some time. Thinking about what happened in the dungeon made him depressed, if he had been a better leader perhaps none of this would’ve happened. 

Thieney blamed himself. He blamed for what had happened to Lorsan and Emma, and now he blamed himself for Amber’s death. He could have dissuaded her— begged her to stay. But he didn’t do any of that, instead he chose to believe the strange woman. 

“Say goodbye as a ghost, yeah right,” he scoffed. 

Some moments he felt angry, others he felt sad, however he didn’t have time to indulge in his emotions. No one really had the time to indulge in anything. The expedition had been assembled, and given the reports that he had given, the Guild had gone all out with assembling it. 

The expedition was being led by none other than Luka Hefell, one of the most renowned adventurers in the City of Laria, a platinum ranked adventurer that was on the cusp of becoming diamond ranked. The man was a level 71 mage according to reports. The main vanguard was composed of platinum ranked adventurers. However, it was an expedition. A force of over fifty people had been assembled at the northern gate. All of level 30 or above, and everyone was ready to depart.

Thieney had gained one level from fighting in the dungeon, which was a lot considering his contributions ⁠— Amber had done most of the work after all. He shook his head and spotted a familiar woman, Liz. She seemed to be pondering about something, but decided not to approach her, instead he headed towards Luka. He had asked him to talk in private.

The man quickly spotted Thieney and gestured for him to follow. They quickly found themselves behind a building where Luka gave him a serious glance, his golden hair slightly disheveled. The man’s blue eyes met his. 

“Are the reports true from the adventurer’s guild? You were ambushed by over a dozen undead in a single moment?” 

Thieney nodded. “That is indeed the case, they came from the ground itself.”

The man bit his lip. “Very well, then I shall ensure everyone knows the risks of this expedition. Undead are quite the nasty things to fight.” 

Thieney inwardly agreed as the man continued. 

“Thank you for bringing this information to the guild, Thieney. I shall ensure this expedition is successful.” Luka placed a hand on his shoulder. “It’s the least I can do.”

With those words, Luka Hefell, the leader of the expedition left and began to call for the attention of everyone. Thieney knew that it was finally happening, that the expedition was finally getting in motion. He, like others, gathered as the leader began to speak. 

“As all of you know, we have received an alarming report of dozens of undead inside the Dark Den dungeon, one that indicates the presence of hundreds of them.”

At that moment, Thieney could sense the atmosphere turning serious. And why wouldn’t it? Undead were considered one of the hardest creatures to fight, everyone that had assembled here was well aware of that. 

“Should a breakout occur, chaos will befall the lands surrounding the City of Laria, which is why we are acting today,” his voice boomed. “To protect this town, to destroy the monsters that threaten it, to protect our loved ones and to keep a roof over our head.” 

Everyone nodded and Luka looked more serious than ever.

“We have gathered and recruited the most capable adventurers for this task. We have healers, we have warriors with adequate resistances, we have people from the brave party that made the discovery. Even if it's hundreds of undead, they will all fall under our might. Just remember, switch if you all are affected by the miasma.” 

He was met with much more resolute nods as the atmosphere became heavy. Thieney could tell no one felt like cheering, much less being overconfident. A single party could easily fall to a dozen undead, and they were fifty people against hundreds of them. It wasn’t going to be an easy fight, but it was something necessary. 

Thieney took a very deep breath and Luka tapped his staff on the ground, calling to everyone. 

“Let us depart at once!” 

They all moved forward, the expedition leader at the front of everyone. It was now finally starting. Thieney felt his heart drumming, and he assumed many felt the same considering the serious faces. They quickly arrived at the gate and when it was opened, Luka paused, and as did Thieney and Liz who wasn’t too far behind.

A familiar figure was standing a couple of meters ahead, she looked disheveled, almost as if she had fallen down a hill. Her armor was dented in multiple places and she was covered in blood that he was fairly certain was not her own. She also seemed to be carrying a creepy looking staff. It was none other than…

Amber. 

“Who are you?” Luka asked evidently in alert.

“Oh, are you with the expedition?” she asked, surprised. The mage nodded. “Yeah, about that, I cleared the dungeon and killed the Summoner that was making all the undead. He was trying to summon a demon, could you believe it?”

Thieney blinked, and Luka paused now more unnerved. “Did you run from the demon⁠— wait how did you even clear the dungeon?” 

She shook her head. “No, the demon is dead. I killed it.” 

And everyone paused. 

 

* * * 

 

Amber watched as the blonde haired mage seemed to be struggling with what she had said. 

“Do you have a way to prove your claims?” the man asked. 

For a moment, Amber thought of letting the man use Identify on the staff, but given it was a cursed object she was afraid of potentially losing it. Maybe the Guild would confiscate it for being too dangerous or something. So instead, she reached for her back pocket and grabbed the Demonic Mana Stone.

“This,” she said, showing it to the man. “It’s a Demonic Mana Stone, I took it from the demon.”

The man frowned and approached, extending his hand. “Let me see for myself.”

Amber placed it on the palm of his hand and after a moment he nodded and handed it back to her. Then, he turned and began to shout for all the scouts to go look into the dungeon. Minutes later, a group of ten people rushed down the road at breakneck speeds. Shortly after, the mage returned. 

“If all goes well, they’ll be back in two hours, if you’re lying they won’t return,” the mage explained. 

“So I’ll be the one to blame if they get murdered?” Amber raised her brow. “I wiped the entire dungeon then I passed out after fighting the demon, I assume Dark Hounds might be present now.”

“If the demon and undead are gone, there is nothing to worry about,” he said simply. “However, I’d like to bring you to the Guild, to ask some questions. This is a big deal, you see?”

Amber closed her eyes. Maybe I should have pretended nothing happened. After taking a breath she nodded and agreed to whatever the man wanted, but she made it clear that the mana stone and the staff were hers to keep. Which, the man agreed to so long as her claims were true. 

 

* * *

 

Inside the Guild, Amber found herself in an empty room with two sofas and a coffee table where she explained to the mage and a receptionist all she knew. It wasn’t a whole lot but she relayed the things she could. However, she refused to elaborate on how she cleared the dungeon or the specifics on how she had defeated the demon other than the fact that it had been heavily injured due to failed summoning. Still, her information was enough to shock the receptionist, who quickly left. Meanwhile, the mage who had called himself Luka was pondering in deep thought.

“Do you know the means he used to summon the demon?”

Amber thought about the staff before nodding. “I do, and it was a one time use thing, so you won’t have to worry about that.”

“Can you guarantee that? I have to see proof.”

Amber sighed before meeting his gaze. “Proof is something I cannot show you. But the man is dead, so whatever knowledge he held is gone.”

Luka frowned in thought. “I was told by Thieney that they had left a team member inside of the dungeon at level 40. Now, you are 55. I suppose you are telling the truth. Still, a level 102 Servant of Chaos is something worrisome⁠—” 

And at that moment, a man in light armor opened the door to their room in a rush. 

“Report: the dungeon is devoid of undead, and only four Dark Hounds were spotted in the entire dungeon, they were hiding in fear. The corpse of the demon is present, so is a man’s!” 

Lukas blinked before turning to her and then, contrary to expectations the man began to laugh.

“I could hardly believe you, but I guess you indeed told the truth,” he said, still chuckling. “Sorry for doubting you. I shall go deal with all the important manners now.”

With that, she was left alone in the room she was in and Amber sighed. 

This sucks. 

 

* * * 

 

The next person she met was the receptionist, who gave her a rather empty pouch and a platinum adventuring badge.

“These are the remaining funds to pay the adventurers of the expedition; these belong to you now. We have also added an additional reward for killing the demon,” the man bowed. “On behalf of the City of Laria, thank you for clearing out all of the undead.” 

“Right it was no big deal,” Amber said, trying to downplay it.

“On the contrary, Luka Hefell, the expedition leader mentioned a potential thirty-percent casualty rate when organizing it. You have saved many lives today,” the receptionist explained. “Which is why, the Guild has upgraded your rank to match your level free of charge. We are grateful to you.” 

“Right…”

The man smiled at her. “You are free to go, Great Warrior. Thank you for your service today.”

Amber felt awkward, but left the room. She wasn’t used to receiving praise. However, at least she was glad that the process of validating her claims hadn’t been that troublesome. Taking a breath of relief, she made her way down the hall, and she used the time to look into the pouch she had received.

Gold coins…? Amber paused. One, three, five… fifteen?! She gulped. She was fucking rich now. She could go and get herself a new armor with that and a holder to carry her staff, she could also indulge in food and even just go window shopping to see if anything caught her eye.

Her heart raced in excitement as she entered the common room⁠— and her heart jumped for other reasons. There were dozens of adventurers looking at her. 

“She’s the one that defeated the demon?”

“She’s quite low level for that, no?” 

“It is said she cleared out an entire dungeon!” 

Too much fucking attention. Amber tensed as she stepped forward. Some people were looking at her in awe, others with some mixture of frustration and hatred. She didn’t really get it and it didn’t matter because she was going to get the fuck out immediately⁠— and she paused as someone placed a hand on her shoulder. She looked up to see Luka who was looking towards the room.

“She has informed me that she’s inviting drinks to everyone!” 

Amber paled, as everyone cheered and began to frantically clamber over to the bar. She was about to talk when he whispered to her.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be the one paying. Consider this a favor, some people blame you for losing on pay,” he explained. 

Amber blinked. “Thank you, but… what’s the catch?” 

He smiled. “How did you kill a level 102 Server of Chaos?”

“I told you both its level was adjusted to 82,” she sighed. “And, it was half-dead when it was summoned.”

“It should have still been a grueling battle,” he said. “So what was the main thing that got it killed? Based on reports its body was slashed all over, no place untouched. I want to know what kind of trump card you used.”

Amber closed her eyes. “I managed to splash healing potions into its insides, and luckily it received recoil from consuming them. I used six potions on it.” 

The man blinked. “Huh…?”

“I’ll be going now.”

With that, Amber left the very confused level 71 mage behind. 

 

* * *

 

Thankfully, outside wasn’t much of an issue. It seemed her feats hadn’t spread that much, which she was thankful for. She used the chance to enjoy the local cuisine, from skewers to fried food and even things that resembled meatballs which tasted absolutely delicious. She had spent a whole silver on treating herself. 

However, even though she had mostly relaxed she would still overhear adventurers talking about her whenever she encountered some. 

“I heard she departed at level 37 and returned at level 55.” 

“Almost 20 levels in three days? That’s impossible.”

“Yet the results are there, many are wondering if she didn’t receive outside help.” 

She had heard a lot of talk about her level increase, and if she was honest, Amber didn’t really get it. Leveling wasn’t all too hard, or didn’t seem to at least. Sure, she was rushing through things, but she didn’t understand how other people were at the same level range for years. There had to be something she was missing, some kind of information that explained what was so amazing about her feat, and yet she had no idea what it was. 

However, Amber tried to not mind what was happening and instead visited the smith she had gone to previously, however on her way there she was stopped by someone she didn’t expect. 

Thieney. 

“Hey,” he spoke in an almost shy manner. 

“Hey, haven’t seen you in… some time,” Amber greeted. “Are you, alright? Is Emma and the other guy…?”

“They are okay.” He shook his head.

Hearing that, she felt relief washing over her. They weren’t dead. That knowledge alone made her feel relaxed. Good even. However, she could still see something was bothering Thieney. 

“Are you alright?”

He met her gaze, before sighing. “You know, when you arrived and I saw you again, I couldn’t face you.” Amber wasn’t quite following but the man continued. “And that was because I assumed you were dead.”

Amber stared at him, more confused than anything.

“I assumed you were dead Amber,” he breathed. “How can I face you after doubting you like that? I don’t… I’m sorry.”

She watched as the man lowered his head in shame. She didn’t know what to do, but after a moment she placed her hand on the man’s shoulder. 

“It’s fine, you know?” She made him look at her. “It’s normal to assume I died, I’m sorry for not returning sooner. But if you want to apologize, maybe don’t be so quick to write me off in the future.” 

He blinked. “But I⁠—”

“But nothing,” she interrupted. “Just focus on being glad that no one died okay? And maybe rest for today.”

She smiled at the man.

“Then, tomorrow you can treat me to some kind of food if you still feel apologetic.”

Thieney paused, he opened his mouth before closing it, his lips drawing a line. Before finally, nodding. 

“Thank you, Amber.”

With that, the man departed after the man said goodbye and to take care of herself. Amber felt a bit weird; not really expecting for Thieney to care about her that much, but ultimately found it nice. 

I’m glad I made another friend. 

And so she headed to the Smith. 

Except…

“Oh, you’re that girl. I know you, but I didn’t think you’d be the one to be called a hero by some of the adventurers. Anyway, I’d hate to get on your bad side so, I’ll tell you that you can get better deals elsewhere, but if you wish to work with me I’ll give you my best.”

“Right, what’s the best and most knowledgeable smith?” 

“You know, he doesn’t work with just anyone, but I’ll tell you at the price of one silver.”

And so, she ended up visiting the so-called best and most knowledgeable smith in the City of Laria. The building looked mostly unassuming with a sign that had a shield and an armor, and the entrance was wide open for anyone to enter. The echoing of hammering reached her ears even from where she stood. 

After stepping inside, Amber saw a counter and farther behind was a burly man working on an anvil. The heat was something to write home about, but Amber didn’t actually find it bothersome. Finally, after a minute of hammering the man turned around and stuck whatever he was making into the furnace before turning to her. 

“You look like shit lass.” 

Amber paused before scoffing. “Well, can’t say you look dazzling.”

The man was incredibly muscular and wore a rather lose shirt that was completely dirtied with ash and snoot, his face was no different. Even his long beard and hair were stained. 

He chuckled. “Well, you fight monsters, I fight weapons, I suppose that’s in order, Demonkiller. Luka mentioned you when he came to pick up something earlier.” 

She sighed. “So everyone knows?”

“Even my grandma knows,” he smiled. “I assume you’re here for my services, but unless you have something that interests me I will still refuse. I get too many requests nowadays.”

“Something that interests you?” she asked.

“Yeah, something that I find interesting, anything related to smithing of course. Unless you don’t have anything that is,” he grinned.

Amber snorted and took out her sword before putting it on the counter. The man watched with curiosity but she made sure to warn him.

“It will cut you.”

The man smiled. “Well that is certainly interesting and Superb Quality too, very rare. I’m sure some nobles would buy it based on its age alone, and it's cursed too. But that is not enough to make me want to work with you. I do however wonder how you seem unaffected by it? You made it perhaps?”

She frowned and took the sword back. She pondered showing him the staff, but she didn’t feel like it was smithing related at all. 

“This goes without saying, but you won’t tell a single soul about what I show you including the sword, right?”

The man turned serious. “Unless I’m tortured for the information, absolutely not.”

Amber nodded and reached into her back pocket. 

“I do not know if this is related to smithing, but⁠—” And she paused seeing the man eyeing the Demonic Mana Stone. “Are you okay?”

“I know what that is, I don’t even need to use Identify on it, you know? Not all demons drop one, quite lucky,” he said. “Yes, if you let me use that to make an armor or weapon I’ll even do it for free and supply the materials.” 

So it’s that rare. 

“Not yet, I don’t know if I can trust your abilities old man, what if you’re just a phony? What if you run away with it?” She smiled at him as his eyes grew wide. “I’m just a helpless girl after all, it’s not like I can do anything if you scam me.” 

The man scowled. “Ignoring the fact that you can probably bash my head in and that I have an already established reputation, I assume you want to see my work? Or have some? Your armor does look like shit.”

“It does,” she agreed. “I’ll keep it simple, I come for new armor.” 

“Very well, then I’ll show you my best wares, come.”

With that, Amber found herself going past the counter, passing the blazing heat of the furnace and going into a back room where she found multiple armors and swords on display. Some looked rather average, and some looked dazzling. Her eyes scanned the room, before she landed on a set of black armor. It looked light, allowing for any kind of movements, and it was sleek, almost lithe. It looked elegant to her. 

Upon approaching it she used Identify on it. 

 

[Armor of Frenzy ⁠— High Quality.]

 

“Huh, that’s one of my best ones.”

“How much?” Amber asked. 

The man pondered. “About nine gold, it even comes with a helmet. Making something like this is not cheap.”

Steep… But Thieney had told her that High Quality things went for multiple gold. I could negotiate using the Demonic Mana Stone, but if I find a better smith in a different city… what happens then? 

Regret it? She frowned.

She wasn’t going to stay in Laria forever, she was well aware of that. And she could actually afford the armor, so after thinking about it, she realized it would be a bit stupid to sacrifice long term benefits for short term benefits. 

“I’ll buy it, I need it fitted by tomorrow.”

“Sure, no problem, I’ll just need your measurements. But before that.” Amber tilted her head as the man extended his hand. “Vanil. What’s your name, Demonkiller?”

She shook his hand. 

“Amber, but Demonkiller is a cool title.” 

“Alright, Amber the Demonkiller,” he said, almost mockingly. “Let’s get those measurements.”

She nodded and thirty minutes and minus four gold pieces of deposit later, she left the smith, she had also requested a scabbard or something for the staff. 

The sun indicated it was about mid day now, and she wondered if to sleep all day. She wasn’t tired but she wanted to try it. How long can I sleep now? Her record on Earth had been about 18 hours before her mom forcefully woke her up; it did happen while she was in middle-school after all. 

However, as she was pondering that, a familiar figure approached her. 

“Liz?”

“Hi Amber,” the woman smiled somewhat awkwardly. “I’ve come here to ask you for something.”

“Is it the torch? I’ll give it back to you, just give me a second⁠—”

“It’s not the torch,” Liz interrupted, holding Amber’s arm and bringing her hand forward. Then, both of her hands were held. “It’s something else. It’s very important.”

Amber felt just as lost as when she spoke to Thieney earlier, so she waited and⁠— Liz knelt. 

“Please help me kidnap my sister.”

What? 

Read 10 CHAPTERS AHEAD on Patreon here

You can join discord here

60