Chapter 23 – Adverse Situation
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Daren, accompanied by the two girls, stood silently amidst the dense forest, their determination to escape evident in their eyes. They had no intention of returning to the place they didn't belong.

The map displayed on their virtual screens showed no significant symbols, only a perpetual green background. This was not unique to Daren; Ravina and Chinatsu experienced the same phenomenon when they pressed the [Map] button on their screens.

The unchanging green background hinted at a system error, rendering their movements futile as they remained trapped in a daunting maze within the forest.

Frustration overwhelmed them, prompting cries and tears that eventually subsided, leaving behind a heavy silence. Daren's face displayed a mix of confusion and determination.

He grappled with this problem, finding it equally challenging to confront other significant obstacles. Their mouths remained shut, allowing only the sounds of birds and animals in the forest to fill the air.

However, Chinatsu broke the silence, taking the initiative to address the situation while Daren pondered a solution that wouldn't harm anyone.

Daren engrossed himself in reading the manual, desperately searching for answers. Despite their efforts, they remained trapped, unable to find a way out.

"Hey! Are we going to be stuck here forever? I saw the same map as Daren," Chinatsu exclaimed, turning to Ravina and Daren, her concern overriding any consideration for their emotions.

Still, silence prevailed, until Ravina approached Daren, resting her head on his broad shoulder. The sweet girl, burdened by her own pain, found solace in his presence.

"Daren, what are you doing?" she inquired softly.

Daren remained unresponsive, weighed down by mounting anxiety. It was understandable, given that they were all facing the same predicament.

"Daren!" Ravina's voice carried a gentle yet insistent tone, finally evoking a response from him.

"Oh, I'm brainstorming and racking my brain, trying to find a way for us to escape this forest despite the numerous challenges we face," Daren replied.

A seemingly ordinary response, but it yielded no progress. Perhaps their inability to navigate the virtual world stemmed from being lost in this intricate forest. Chinatsu struggled to focus on the bigger problem, her discomfort intensifying with each passing moment. She knew she had to relieve herself at the earliest opportunity.

"I need to use the restroom. I'll be right back," she announced.

Not wanting to be left behind, Ravina accompanied Chinatsu to the restroom, unable to bear the weight of their emotions. They needed to release their pent-up tension before regrouping with Daren.

Daren's gaze remained fixed on the complex text before him, his hand navigating the virtual screen, zooming in and out to grasp the information. It served as a valuable reference point for him.

After studying a few pages, Daren closed the menu on his virtual screen and waited.

"Alright! I'm going to attempt an escape. Just give me a moment so I can demonstrate a clever trick to them," he declared.

"I can't wait to witness this effect firsthand," Daren chuckled, hoping to bring smiles back to the faces of Ravina and Chinatsu once they escaped the forest's clutches.

Even if he hadn't read the entire guidebook, Daren had absorbed enough tricks to come in handy. The knowledge within the Alvarest Game Guidebook held great importance for him. Sitting patiently, he awaited the return of the two girls.

However, ten minutes had passed, and there was no sign of their return. It seemed as though their time had run out, and they needed to regroup with Daren to continue their journey.

"Why are they taking so long? Did they get caught up in gossip? That seems unlikely," Daren mused, surveying the desolate forest, feeling a sense of loneliness without the presence of the two girls.

Daren made a conscious effort to remain still and avoid any impulsive actions, attempting to suppress the restlessness coursing through his body. Countless minutes slipped away, but there was no positive response or any indication of the girls' arrival. Waiting for them had proven to be futile.

Frustrated by the situation, Daren realized that he couldn't afford to stay idle, especially when team members were missing. He couldn't bear the thought of lingering in one place any longer and decided to take matters into his own hands, embarking on a search for their whereabouts.

"Alright! I'm going to find them now. It's been quite a while," Daren resolved, rising to his feet and firmly planting them on the ground.

Before setting off, he closed the virtual screen, ensuring an optimal search for the two girls with his undivided attention. As he ventured through the forest, Daren cupped his hands around his mouth, attempting to raise his voice and locate them more quickly.

"Chinatsu! Ravina! Where are you guys? Come out!" he called out, followed by a long sigh, as he failed to pick up any traces of their presence.

Amidst his search, Daren encountered only wild animals. The forest remained devoid of any threatening beasts, as their bellies were already satiated. Even if he did come across any creatures, Daren felt confident he could evade their potential danger.

"Hey! You two! Don't hide. I know you're upset with me. But please, at least show yourselves!" he pleaded, suppressing the thought of them being captured and devoured by beasts. The team member summoning system often malfunctioned, failing to connect at crucial moments.

The male team leader couldn't rely on pressing the [Connect] button for every team member. Such a method wouldn't work, as it was unreliable and inconsistent.

Although the forest remained eerily silent, they were only a few hundred meters away from Daren. Yet despite circling the forest environment, he couldn't find any clues.

"Where are you?" he implored, feeling the pressure of time ticking away. The forest grew darker with each passing minute, heightening the fear that Daren himself could become prey for the predators that lurked within.

With no further clues to guide his search, Daren made the decision to activate his flashlight as the cluster of trees cast deeper shadows. His eyes remained fixed on the illuminated path as he continued his quest.

Daren's legs carried him forward, devoid of a clear direction, relying solely on instinct without any guarantee of success.

And then, a glimmer of light emerged right in front of Daren. The possibility became increasingly clear—it could be an arena, and perhaps the two girls were there.

 

0