Ch. 9 Assembling A Party (Kaitlyn)
1.1k 6 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cecilia is so lovely… Kaitlyn thought whimsically to herself as they waited for the hero to return from what the high priest described as a divine encounter.

 

The hero vanished right before their eyes and the princess, bless her wonderful heart, had immediately began to panic. Kaitlyn always admired how kind and selfless her best friend could be, though lately Kaitlyn had begun to wish that Cecilia would spend a bit less time worrying about others and a bit more time worrying about her. It didn’t seem like a big thing to ask for. They were best friends after all. It’s only natural that best friends should worry about each other more than anyone else. Right?

 

I don’t really like the hero being around… I liked it better when it was just the two of us… But the princess seems to notice me a bit more while he’s here… maybe it’s not so bad… Kaitlyn bit the inside of her cheek as she mulled over the complex dilemma in her head.

 

“How long should we expect the goddess to take?” Cecilia asked Kingston as they stood around the still faintly glowing altar in the center of the temple.

 

The old retired adventurer shook his head. “It may be different for others but when Hausta contacted me for the first time it was a lengthy encounter. She explained our connection and what powers I could expect from her and what she expected in return.”

 

“I’m surprised.” The princess folded her arms and frowned. “It all sounds so…”

 

“Transactional?” Kingston chuckled. “Power doesn’t come without a price. Fortunately when it comes to the four holy gods their demands are moral and just.”

 

Kingston gestured up to the grandiose statues and paintings above them.

 

“Hausta’s demands were simple for me. A necromancer had developed an unholy abomination known as the eternal cricket that plagued the farmlands for many years. I hunted down that necromancer and put an end to his reign of terror.” He explained with a wistful look on his face.

 

Cecilia looked impressed but Kaitlyn shook her head and pointedly looked away. Maybe as a child Kaitlyn would have listened closely to Kingston’s tale and asked questions, but he’d long ago lost her respect. Ever since-

 

A bright flash of light interrupted Kingston’s story and Kaitlyn’s line of thought as Devin reappeared in the temple.

 

“Oh!” Devin blinked a few times and looked around. “I’m still not used to how sudden that is.”

“Welcome back Devin.” Cecilia said, clearly relieved the hero had returned unharmed.

 

Kaitlyn frowned. Maybe it would be better if he was dead after all…

 

“Thank you, though there wasn’t a need to be worried. I left you with Kaitlyn so nothing bad could possibly happen to you.” Devin jerked his head slightly in Kaitlyn’s direction.

 

“Oh, um, yes. Of course.” Cecilia turned to Kaitlyn and gave her a bright smile. “Thanks for waiting with me Kaitlyn.”

 

Warm butterflies filled the bodyguard’s chest as blood rushed to her face.

 

Maybe Devin could stick around… Kaitlyn thought as she subconsciously began to grin madly and sway in place from the princess’ kind words and smile.

 

“What are you talking about?” Kaitlyn barely heard Kingston ask Devin, but she really didn’t care about anything else happening at the moment.

 

“Don’t worry about it.” Devin said with a tired sigh. “Eros told me that I’ll need to assemble a small party and head west towards the border. She says the best way for me to get stronger in time to deal with the threats coming humanity’s way is to learn on the job.”

 

Kingston scratched his chin. “I was hoping to train you at least a little bit before you departed, but I wouldn’t be much of a high priest if I went against a goddess. Unfortunately almost all of the adventurers in the kingdom have gone west to deal with a sudden increase of monster attacks happening along the border towns. Your best choice would have to be…”

 

Kaitlyn paused as she felt Kingston’s eyes shift to her.

 

“What?” She narrowed her eyes at the old man.

 

Kingston shrugged. “You’re the most skilled fighter in the area. You’d be the best choice to accompany the hero.”

 

The warm bubbly feeling Cecilia had graced her with evaporated in an instant.

 

“Not happening.” Kaitlyn growled. “I’m not leaving the princess. My place is by her side… As her bodyguard...”

 

“Cecilia,” Devin spoke out, “I heard numerous times yesterday that you’re an extremely talented magic user.”

 

The princess nodded. “I am.”

 

Devin shifted his gaze between Kingston and Kaitlyn. “If Kaitlyn is as skilled in physical combat as you claim, and her place is protecting the princess who also happens to be a skilled magic user…”

 

Kingston shook his head. “The king would never allow his daughter to put herself at such risk.”

 

Kaitlyn silently agreed with the high priest.

 

“I don’t think she would be in much danger.” Devin grinned. “Though my connection with Eros isn’t very strong yet I already have access to a powerful ability called ‘Center of Attention’. It will allow me to draw all of the attacks of an enemy to me, leaving both Kaitlyn and Cecilia free to attack without fear of retribution.”

 

Kingston paused. “That sort of thing puts you at great risk doesn’t it?”

 

It was Devin’s turn to shrug. “Look, I don’t know anything about fighting with swords. I’m going to learn quickly, but until then the most I can do is draw fire away from the members of my party that know how to fight. Don’t worry about me, I already know how to dodge a knife.”

 

“I still don’t think this is a great idea.” Kaitlyn crossed her arms over her chest.

 

“Maybe you’re right. Eros advised me to keep my party small so it would only be the princess and you traveling with me out in the wide open world. Lovely sunsets, night skies, plains, and rivers.” Devin sighed. “They say that adventuring with someone is the best way to get close to them, but alas…”

 

Kaitlyn’s mind spun with the new possibility of being alone with Cecilia out of the castle.

 

There would be no pressure on her to act noble. She could be free to act on her needs… her wants…

 

With a bright red face Kaitlyn spun towards the princess and blurted out, “Cecilia I think we should convince your father to let us elope, I mean, to follow the hero on his journey.”

 

The princess took a step back in shock. “I mean… I too want to help Devin however I can, but… Do you really think he’ll allow me to adventure with you?”

 

Kingston plunked his walking stick against the stone floor of the temple and grinned mischievously. “Between the hero’s abilities, the well rounded mix of this proposed party, and Kaitlyn’s weird drive to see this come to pass… I think we stand a good chance at making the king see reason. Besides, he still owes me for saving his life a few times. I think I can help you out in that regard.”

 

Regular scheduled chapter release. As always, thanks for reading.

29