Chapter 6: A System finds a very angry User.
5.5k 4 123
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jack decided he was done looking for users in the city for the time being. Pulling back his view of the world, he began to take a look around.  Going southeast, he started to follow a road through a forest, when he noticed a disturbance happening nearby.

Grabbing his interest, he took a look and found a half-elf killing a diminutive goblin.  After slaying it, the half-elf checked the ground for several minutes, before picking a direction to move. Jack realized that the half-elf was following a trail made by some goblins. As Jack could see the trail clearly, he followed it to where it lead.

Where it led, was a cave full of goblins. Looking inside Jack blanched at what he saw within, and blanched at what he saw.  Several women were being held in cages in the back cavern. A poor woman was catatonic from what she had suffered from. 

Seeing the goblins were planning to do the same things with the other woman. One of the women was an elf, and looked like a sibling of the half-elf.  The half-elf was probably looking for her, taking a look at his skill in tracking, his skill in tracking was too low. 

Deciding the half-elf needed help, Jack sent him a contract. Hopefully he would accept, Jack had no desire to see these women suffer longer.

Dunking his head under the running water of the stream to cool his head, Telvin recalled the argument he had with his sister he had earlier in the day.  It was always the same, about him moving back to the village. She didn’t understand, he had to get away from the judging eyes, and near constant fights he got himself into.

Telvin was only bringing trouble to his mother and sister while he was there. Deep in the isolated forest, he found he could keep his mind somewhat clear from the ever increasing rage he felt. Feeling calmer, he started to look for the trail his sister had left when she stormed out of the cabin, he wanted to make sure she was heading safely to home.

Using his somewhat meager tracking skills, Telvin followed her trail deeper into the forest.  The trail had veered off the path, away from the road back to the village. Fearing she had gotten lost, he picked up speed.

Monsters occasionally came to this part of the woods, he hoped she hadn’t met one. Telvin suddenly stopped when he came to a small clearing where it looked like a fight had taken place. Fresh blood had been spilled on the ground not even a few hours ago. 

Pulling back a bush he discovered the body of a goblin, with his sister's knife stuck into it. A blazing hot rage erupted from Telvin’s core. He had heard stories of what goblins did to women, and he would not allow that to happen to his sister.

Trying to focus on the goblins tracks he found they were far more careful then his sister.  Tracking them took longer, and he was focused on the trail when he encountered another goblin.

Holding a wooden spear, more stick than spear, the goblin screamed nonsense at Telvin’s face and charged at him. Effortlessly dodging the spear thrust, Telvin grabbed the spear pulling the goblin off the ground. Letting go the goblin fell onto his ass, Telvin spun the spear around and pierced the skull of the hapless goblin.

Looking around Telvin found multiple trails that the goblins had left in the area.  Choosing the one that looked like it led deeper into the forest, he took off following it.  Within minutes of doing so, Telvin found he had lost the trail. Backtracking, he started to look to see if he could pick it up again, when a blue window popped in front of his face. 

Hello, I am Jack (a System) and I would like to offer you a spot to become a User of the System. This will provide numerous benefits, but the most immediate one will be a better chance of saving your sister. With your current ability you will not be able to make it in time. Would you like to become a User? Yes/No?

 

Telvin had no special love for the gods, especially their priests. The head one was tolerable, but he couldn’t stand how the rest of them looked at him.  One of them even dared to call him a mutt in front of his face! They avoided him after he broke the priest's nose.

About to decline the offer from the god, when his cold reason told him he was going to fail without help. Feeling anger at his uselessness, Telvin thought, “I will accept being your servant for now. Help me save my sister and I will serve you." The window closed and a  voice in his head said “User Profile Updating…. Updated.”

 

User Name

Tevin

 

 

Race

Half-Elf/Human

 

 

Age 21

Level 1

HP 120/120

MP 100/100

Class

Please Choose Class

(Recommended Ranger)

 

Title

 

Exp 0/100

 

Attributes

Strength 14

Constitution 12

Dexterity 15

Intelligence 10

Wisdom 10

Charisma 13

 

 

Skills

Basic Bow Use

Lv.1 0/100

 

 

Basic Tracking

Lv.1 0/100

 

Telvin looked at it for a brief second, before quickly choosing to become a Ranger as recommended.  A energy burned through him, granting him more knowledge of nature and how to thrive with it. A new window  popped up saying:

Congratulations Telvin on being the First Ranger of the System. You have gained the Title Forestrager. +3 Dexterity and +2 Wisdom As a new Ranger you gain access to the system skill store and now have gained the skill Nature's Rage.

 

"Enough, where is my sister?" Telvin shouted and another screen popped up.

New Quest: Your sister has been taken by a group of goblins in order to be used as a breeder for a new colony of goblins. You must track them down before night fall to save your sister from being assaulted. (Rating : D)

Time Limit 2:32:34

-upgrade tracking skill to 3.

-Kill all 20 goblins

-Kill Shaman Goblin

-Kill Goblin tribe chief

-Rescue your sister and the other women.

Rewards (Your sister safe) +300 gold, a bow, two magic books.

 

Pulling up his skills, Telvin felt a weird sense of how to use them come over him. He quickly upgraded his tracking skill.  After he did so, suddenly he could spot the trail he had lost. Taking off on a run he followed the trail.

With his upgraded skill, Telvin could tell the goblins were not bothering to hide where they were headed. As he passed a large tree, he saw a steep hillside, and carefully approached it, as he did so he spotted the entrance to a cave.

In front of the cave stood a goblin that had it's spear in the ground, and looked as if it was dozing. As Telvin looked at the Goblin a message window informed him that he had gained a examination skill. Looking at the goblin the information popped over the goblin was

 

Race

Goblin

Level

2

Difficulty

1

HP

40/40

MP

20/20

 

 

Taking care to be quiet, Telvin snuck up to the sleeping goblin. Carefully so as to not alert the rest of the goblins, he pulled out his hunting knife and readied himself. With one hand he grabbed the goblins head, and before the goblin could utter a word, he slit it's throat spraying blood over the ground in front of it. With a wet rasping noise the goblin died with a picture of surprise and terror on its face.

Making sure the kill had gone unnoticed, Telvin picked up it’s body and chucked it behind a nearby bush. A new window popped up alerting he had gotten a few more skills from his actions. Telvin had gained a stealth skill, and some basic knife skills. 

Using his last skill point he upgraded the stealth skill. Entering the cavern, Telvin let his eyes adjust to the dim light of the cave tunnel. Along the wall were crude mana lights that flicked on and off, that were shoved into the wall. They looked ancient and most likely the goblins had brought them from wherever they had come from.

Heading deeper into the tunnels, a smell of something burning reached Telvins nose. Not wanting to think about what the goblins liked to cook, he kept moving forward. As he reached a side passage, he took a look inside. 

The room appeared to be a storage room, several blankets and junk lined the room. Obviously looted from some unfortunate souls, that held little interest for the goblins. Hearing something coming up from the main passage, Telvin hid inside the storage room.  A foul looking goblin hobbled past, heading towards the entrance. 

The aged goblin failed to notice Telvin, until it was too late.  It’s eyes bulged out its face when a knife was jammed into its throat. With a fluid motion, Telvin tossed the body into the storage room. Going forward the tunnel went to the right and down.

The smell of burning meat and the stink of rot became worse as Telvin went down the passage. A chattering of nonsense from the goblins could be heard.  It was a mixture of grunts and strange vocalizations.

He came to two side rooms off the main cave tunnel. On the right side led to a sort of larder, and taking a look inside made him gag. Rotting carcasses of beasts and monsters could be seen, to his relief Telvin did not see any remains of people.

The other room led to what looked like a makeshift galley for the goblins. Five goblins were in the room. Three were sitting around a broken table and eating, while the other two were in the midst of an argument apparently over whatever was cooking in the pot. The pot was large almost half as tall as him. It was hanging over a fire and he could see some air vents carved into the ceiling.

Narrowing his eyes, Telvin could not leave them alone, as they would surely ambush him when he attacked the remaining goblins. Pulling his old shortbow from his back, he traced how the pot was hung up. 

Seeing a weak point he took aim and waited for the one of the arguing goblins to start yelling, and fired. The arrow cut through the air and sliced the old ropes holding the hanging pot up off the fire.

Breaking free, the pot tilted to the side and dumped it's boiling hot contents onto the arguing goblins who had no chance of dodging. Both of the goblins' health dropped massively and they began to scream in agony as their skin was scalded under the hot liquid. The other three goblins looked shocked for a moment, before starting to move forward in order to help the screaming goblins that were now trying to crawl from the hot liquid.

As the three passed the entrance, Telvin rushed in and kicked one of the goblins into the fire that was under the pot.  When the goblin hit the pot and fell into the fire, the pot rolled on top of the goblin. The goblin started to scream as it was burnt alive.

Before the other goblins could react Telvin fired an arrow point blank into the startled face of a goblin knocking it to the ground. The last standing goblin screamed in rage and pulled out a knife and went after Telvin. 

The goblin charged at him wildly swinging the knife. Dodging the knife swings, Telvin dropped his bow and grabbed the goblins arm that held the knife with both arms and broke the arm with his knee. 

The Goblin face went wild in terror and it started to scream in pain.  Pulling his knife Telvin jammed it into the skull of the goblin. Pulling it free, he proceeded to kill the other goblins quickly. When he killed the last one, a surge of energy overwhelmed him, making him catch his breath. Through his rage, Telvin could feel a hint of pleasure with the energy. A message windo popped up.

Congratulations on being the first Ranger to reach Level 2. As a Half-Elf you get a natural +1 to wisdom or intelligence every level. As a Ranger you get +1 Dexterity and +1 Constitution. You have 2 free attribute points and 4 new skill points. This notice will be put on silent for future level ups. You can turn this back on in the options menu when it becomes available.

 

Taking a quick look down the tunnel to check to see if reinforcements were coming to check what had happened in the galley, he didn't see any, nor did he hear anything. 

Feeling a potentially tough battle ahead, he upgraded his strength and constitution. He made sure as well to upgrade his bow skill twice, and then upgraded the skill he got from becoming a Ranger, Nature's Rage. He then started down the tunnel ready to kill the rest of the goblins.

123