Chapter 22: A Warrior talks with the System, A System gets help from a Goddess.
3.9k 6 90
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For a few seconds Riley wasn't sure that Jack would respond to her message. Then a calm male voice spoke within her head "Hello Riley, This is Jack, is everything alright?"

"Yes I was just testing this messaging function out. I have never had a chance to speak with a god before. Riley said.

Jack replied "Correction, I'm a system, not a god."

Riley thought for a moment and replied "From my viewpoint you have done things that I would associate with a god, thus how are systems different from a god?"

"That is a good question. Gods are beings whose body has been made out of Divinity Energy. This can be from a natural collection of Divinity Energy, a Child from a God, or a Being who reforms their body out of it."

Riley said "I think I've heard of that. So what is a system?"

"I'm honestly still figuring it out. I can say for sure however, that I was not formed out of Divinity Energy. My energy feels different. Also a system gets stronger as they gain users, and so do the users. A god may gain things from their followers, but the followers will not gain as much back."

Scoffing Riley said "On paper they are different, but in the end the users and followers both serve a higher power."

Jack replied "You need not serve me if you don't wish. All you need to do is cancel your contract."

"Nah, you seem better than most of those gods." Riley said.

They continued discussing various things the rest of the night. Riley got a sense of relief from finding that all Jack really expected out of her was to live, and hopefully get stronger. As dawn began to break, she said her goodbyes to Jack, with a promise to contact him again if she needed to ask something about the system.

Riley put out the fire and put dirt over it. Going to the Tent she woke the girls up, and then woke Telvin with a slap to his ass. "Time to get up and go."

Grunting Telvin got up and stretched his arms out. Once he was up, he helped Riley take down the tent and put the camp into their inventories. Clearing the camp and making sure they hadn't left anything, Telvin took the lead and began to lead them to his village. Riley picked up the comatose women, and followed with her new enhanced senses keeping a ear out for trouble. Her eyes however were following Telvins ass.


Jack was happy after the conversation he had with Riley. He hoped more of his Users would talk with him, while he could get a sense of what his Users were feeling, he wasn't sure what they were thinking. If they would talk with him, he would get a better sense of where he needed to improve his system.

Thinking of that, since he did get a massive power boost, perhaps it was time to improve the system again? He didn't see the need to add more classes at this point. The ones he had would cover most of the potential users at the moment. If he spotted a potential User that could use a special class, he would get it then.

Pulling up the upgrade windows, Jack was feeling like he was missing something. It was scratching at the back of his mind. Like he was overlooking a very important thing. Speaking to himself, he said "What am I missing?"

A woman's voice came from right behind him "How about me?"

Startled Jack turned around to find a woman leaning over him. Her pale face was accentuated by blood red lips, and her amber eyes, her hair was tied into a ponytail. Several gems were pierced into her ears, and she was smiling with fangs looking down at him. From Jack's sight he could see down her dress and the tops of the large mounds within.

Speaking she began to poke at Jack "Now you are an interesting little thing. You don't smell like a god, but the power within you definitely makes you one. Makes me want to have a taste." Licking her lips, Jack caught sight of another piercing on her tongue.

"Sara Everlai?" Jack asked.

The woman narrowed her eyes and flicked Jack. "Nope, My sister is still asleep. So I decided to take the chance and explore our new home." Standing Jack saw she was almost six feet tall. Looking down he saw she was wearing high heels. She waved around the white void. "At least it's bigger, and more importantly free of corruption. Oh, and now we have a pet."

"So your Kara Everlai." Jack said.

Breaking into a smile, she gestured around and said theatrically "Yes, Kara Everlai, the bringer of death, scourge of all that is good." Turning to Jack she said "Scared yet?"

From her, Jack could feel power, yet it felt as if she was holding it back. Deciding it might be good to go along with her playing he said "Yes oh great one I'm terrified, please spare this lowly person."

Laughing Kara sat next to Jack crossing her legs under her. "My sister doesn't like to play with me you know? Can't take a joke." Turning serious she said "If it was before, it wouldn't have been a joke. That Vampire Queen of my sisters may have cut us free, but it was you who stopped our corruption. Thank you."

Jack said "Your welcome, though to be honest, I don't even know how I stopped your corruption, and I'm not even clear on what corruption is."

Kara picked up Jack and placed him into her lap and hugged him. "You're so warm. Corruption came to our world long before Everlai was even born."

Continuing Kara said "A long time ago, there was Dark and Light, they so loved one another they became inseparable. However there was a third, who grew jealous of Light, who wanted Dark for itself. Thus the third killed Light, thus Dark was infuriated with the third, yet lacked the strength to kill third. Dark banished third to oblivion. The third became anathema to everything. Corruption is her energy, it is said the third still tries to escape. Should she do so, all of reality will be devoured by her."

Kara then smirked and pinched Jack "Of course that was just a story Everlai heard from an old god of knowledge. Who knows if it is true. For the present, most of the corruption of the world comes from Evil Gods. Now you were looking at something earlier?"

Jack nodded and put that story away for now. "Yeah, I was looking for ways I could help out my Users." He said while he could feel her breasts resting on top of him.

"So that is what you call your followers. Let me take a look at one of them." Kara said and pulled up Alexei information.

Surprised Jack said "I thought you could only look at your followers?"

Kara shook her head. "I think if we had a normal contract yes, I would be limited to those who follow me. But our connection is far deeper, thanks to you being the channel for our soul. Of course the things I can do with your followers is limited. If they ever chose to worship me, I would be able to do more."

"What about your followers?" Jack asked.

Kara thought for a moment and said "Most are nutcases that are filled with corruption. Not touching those again. It's been a long time since I've walked the world. So my name is pretty forgotten."

Jack asked Kara "So do you see anything I could help my Users with?"

Drumming her fingers on top of Jack, Kara said "Before I help you out, you have to agree to do something for me."

"What do you want?"

Kara said "It's been ages since I've had a decent meal. If you agree to get me a supply of food, I will help you out."

"Do gods even eat?" Jack said.

"Yeah, occasionally. We don't eat because it's necessary, we just like the experience of eating. My last meal was a dragon I caught, and cooked inside a volcano. A little overcooked, but it was still pretty good."

"I don't know if I can get a dragon up here" Jack said a little worried.

"Anything would be fine." Kara said.

Jack said "Alright, I can work to bring up food for you. I don't know how long it will take to bring up food though, or even how to do so."

"Don't worry," Kara said, then continued "I have a plan as to how you can do that. First however, I'll tell you a few ways you can help your Users. First off you have nothing covering fate for your users. Every being is subject to some form of fate, it's primarily what gods like to do to mess around with mortals."

Jack took a look for fate options in the upgrade screen and found several. Most were too powerful for him to choose at the moment, but he found one that simply added to the attributes. It would affect random chance around the User. It would also prevent other gods from messing around with his Users fate. Which was useful to keep them out of these schemes he found himself in.

"Thank you Kara, did you have another suggestion?" Jack said

Kara was playing with his form squeezing him, "My sister suggested this one. The world is old, many powerful beings have had children. These bloodlines have been diluted over the years. However they still exist, and can affect the being. If you activate it, you can dramatically increase your users' powers. Well if they have a hidden bloodline, of course."

Opening the biological upgrade screen, he saw the bloodline option. Most bloodlines were already providing a very small effect, by activating it, he would awaken the bloodlines. If one of his users did not have a bloodline, they could purchase one from his system store. Or implant one if they were serious about getting one. Deciding it was worth it, he spent his power to get it.

"Thank you for your help Kara, I really appreciate it. You said you had an idea on how I could get food for you?"

Kara smiled and said "Your Welcome, Gods occasionally like to walk among mortals. While we can go down in our Divine Body's it's really apparent and can piss the other gods off. So we create an Avatar that can walk on the world. While not as powerful as our original bodies, it's sufficient to explore the world."

Jack thought about it for a second, and said "That does sound useful. So you want me to create an Avatar and send it down to collect food. Why don't you go down yourself?"

"I'm locked up here. My full body is still sealed away, until it's free, I'm not going anywhere." Kara said.

With an Avatar some of his plans that he had been brewing on would be achievable. While he could affect the world from here, it was too noticeable. He could probably stand his ground against a god now, but if a group came, he probably would be killed.

Looking he found he could make an Avatar for a lot of his current system power. He wouldn't be able to change a whole lot when he made the Avatar. Thinking on the form he wanted, he started with a human male. Feeling an inspiration come from somewhere, he started to craft the features of the form. Standing at 6'1, he made the body toned, as he went over the chest he added a circular scar.

The facial features took a second to craft, and Jack found him looking at a man in his late twenties, with stubble and an intense look. His dark brown eyes seemed to look through Jack. Feeling a strange sense of deja vu, Jack activated the avatar.

Suddenly he was in two places at once. He was standing in front of his ball form being held by Kara, and also looking up at his Avatar. The senses coming off his avatar, unlike those with his users, felt more natural. Jack found Kara had fallen asleep, now resting her head on top of him. Using his Avatar he picked up Kara and carried her to the casket.

Before sending down his Avatar, Jack took a quick moment to check over his users. The ones in Narak were sleeping, so he left them alone for now. Telvin was approaching his village, so Jack took a look to see how he was doing.

90