Chapter 62: A Domme has a ride in the morning.
1.8k 4 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sunlight from the early dawn had just started to peek over the horizon, when Megan woke up. With Alexia cuddling right next to her after a rigorous night she didn't really want to get out of bed. Looking down she kissed the redhead on her forehead and slipped out from under the covers and stepped on the cold wood floor.

"Time to get up sweetie" Megan called out as she started to get dressed in her adventuring outfit. Taking her whip she attached it to her belt. In addition she added a short sword.

Alexia stretched out her arms and said "Morning, do we have enough time to pick up something to eat?"

"Sorry hon, I don't think we do. Here have a bar from my pack." Megan tossed a bar to her. "You probably don't want to much in your stomach anyway. It's going to be a tough ride for you today. Oh, I was thinking you should change your slime armor color to matte black."

After chewing the bar, Alexia asked "I can do that, but why?"

"I want your armor to be a surprise. I want them to think it's an odd looking leather outfit. That way if we are ambushed, they don't target you with something that could easily punch through."

"That is a good idea." Alexia pulled out her slime orb and soon she was standing in a black outfit, that sort of resembled leather, but on closer inspection was oddly smooth.

"I have to get one of those for myself." Megan said.

"After this we should expedition we should get paid enough to pick up the slime cores to make it happen."

A few seconds later Jack sent them a message that they needed to come down. Megan opened the door and headed down to the counter with Alexia. She dropped off the key to the room, then headed was headed outside, when she met up with Riley and Telvin.

The pair were having an intimate conversation, when Telvin spotted them and greeted them. Exiting the building with them, Megan spotted Veronica and Maetrin waiting near an obnoxious large green carriage. Jack was nearby having a heated argument with a large Dragonkin woman, Ritalassa was attached to his belt.

She looked at the approaching group and said "Is this all of the people you were waiting for?"

"Yes. I'm not done with this conversation, but we will talk later." Jack turned back the group and said "Yukali here will be ferrying us to the meeting point. Please get into the carriage."

Megan climbed into the carriage followed by Alexia then the others. Inside was a pair of luxuriant cushioned benches. The cushions were laced in green silk and trimmed in gold lining. Megan swore she could smell the gold that had been poured into the carriage.

When Jack entered, the door closed and Megan felt the carriage soon start to move. Looking out the window she saw they were heading down the street at a breakneck pace. As luck would have it, not many people, were on the street at this time in the morning.

Carefully looking at Jack, she asked,"What were you arguing about with Yukali?"

"Apparently Lord Attomas has placed her in charge of 'assisting' us. Meaning she's here to spy on us. I tried to argue we did not need her help, she seemed adamant in her duty. I will try to appeal to Lord Attomas."

Ten minutes later, they exited the city and approached a large group, and a veritable mountain of supplies stacked next to them. Near them was a small green carriage that Megan guessed would be transporting the pregnant women. Their ride stopped next to the group, and they exited.

Yukali jumped down, and signaled the driver to head back, and the large carriage raced back into the city. Jack went to the three nobles in the front and greeted them. "Good Morning Lord Attomas, Lady Niadas, Jadai. I don't see Princess Falean?"

"She is a bit late. I expect her soon." Lord Attomas said drily. He looked over at Megan and the others and said "I see you have brought a wide assortment of talent."

"Indeed. They are the best that I know."

"Good, now while we are waiting for the Princess, perhaps you can use your spatial talent and put away the gear for the trip?" Lord Attomas said.

Jack nodded and went to the pile of gear and began to put the large amount of supplies away. While he was doing so, Lord Attomas looked at them and said "Those seven horses will be yours for the first part of the trip. You will be receiving a new set every stop until the sixth day where we will be officially in the wild. Do keep track of yourselves. I will not slow down if one of you get's lost."

With that Lord Attomas seemed to dismiss them. He nodded knowingly at Yukali and went to his sleek horse, before he got on, he withdrew four odd looking stones. He pitched them into the air, and the flashed a light, and then they began to float around his head. Curious on what they were, Megan examined them.

Stone of the Defense monolith - Provides a defensive shield around the user while activated. All incoming damage is reduced by thirty points of damage. Can only block attacks user is aware of.

Stone of the Guiding monolith - Guides User to a known location. Cannot work across oceans.

Stone of the Regenerating Monolith - Regenerates HP at a increased rate. Five HP per ten seconds.

Stone of the Spell Monolith. - Stores up to twenty spells, usable without casting time

Lady Niadas groaned and said "Not those stones again brother? Did you forget what happened last time you played with those? Poor Dominic until now can't see straight, he still has the bump where you hit him the head with those stones."

"I have gained more control over them. I assure you. That incident will not happen again. Your servant should not have been there anyway." Lord Attomas said and climbed onto his horse. "Oh Good, it looks as if our empire guest has arrived."

Looking back at the city, Megan observed an incredibly ugly horse bearing a woman holding a parasol to keep the light off her. When the horse stopped, she could only say it was even worse looking up close. It seemed to have a set of odd muscles underneath its skin, as if it wasn't really a horse, but something else wearing its skin.

Its eyes were bulging out and seemed to be looking into two different directions. The breath it was letting out was more of a gasping sound. Honestly, it looked like it was about to die. Lord Attomas sounded like he thought so as well and said "Good Morning Princess Falean, I have prepared a horse for you already. You did not need to bring your own."

"Oh this is my faithful steed. My father made it for me. It never tires, so you don't need to worry about getting a horse for me Lord Attomas. Isn't that right Snort?" She rubbed the things neck, and like its name it let out a snort.

"Your father made it?" Jadai asked sounding a little horrified.

"Yeah, He wanted to see what would happen if he combined several horses into one. Snort is his tenth time trying, and the only survivor."

Jack had finished putting all the supplies away and walked back to them. He took a double look at Snort and said "Good Morning Princess Falean."

"Good Morning Sir Jack."

"Lord Attomas, I have stored all your equipment, are we ready to head out?"

"Yes, we are all good to go."

Lady Niadas went to a White horse with a pink saddle and climbed the horse. Megan turned towards Alexia and chooses the calmest looking horse for her, and helped Alexia to sit astride it. "Remember the horse knows what to do. I will be riding next to you."

"Okay, wow this feels weird."

Megan got on her horse, and the caravan began to head out, the small green carriage being in the middle of the pack. Riding next to Alexia, she soon got the riding skill. They slowly picked up the pace till they were going at a moderately swift trot. Looking at Alexia, she saw the redhead had a pained expression.

"You alright?"

"Been better, man this is already killing my legs."

As they rode, Megan watched the carriage. It was going faster than it really should, every so often it would hit a bump and it would practically leap up, then crash down. After this had happened a few times, a frightened face of a harpy looked out and quickly went back in.

Behind Megan, she could hear Jadai talking to Maetrin about his adventures. From the tone, she could tell he was flirting with Maetrin. Looking over to Riley, she saw the Orc Girl was confidently handling the horse, obviously familiar with horsemanship. Telvin looked like he was equally good at riding.

Jack riding was... odd. He was sitting weird on the horse, and the horse looked confused as well as it ran. He looked like he was way too relaxed on the horse. Every so often Jack would tap the horse, and the horse would either speed up or slow down.

They rode for several hours until the sun was in the middle of the sky. Reaching a small inn set in the middle of a crossroads, Lord Attomas called out and said "We have an hour rest, we will be switching horse here. Make sure you be back here in time. We will leave with or without you."

Megan slipped down from the horse and did a few stretches to get some blood pumping back into her legs. Then she assisted Alexia down from her horse. About to help her stretch out, Lady Niadas came strolling up to them whirling a pink parasol behind her. "You are Lady Megan Erathean?"

"I am Megan Erathean, but as I didn't inherit a title, so I am not a lady. How can we help you Lady Niadas?"

She looked at Alexia and said "I have some private words to speak with you, Megan. Would you please accompany me for a walk?"

Megan looked at Alexia who nodded for her to go. Megan sighed and said "Alright."

They began walking around the Inn to the back. As they got into a secluded area Megan asked "So what did you wish to speak with me about?"

"I happened to have several dealing with your father. I altogether respected the man, a straightforward negotiator. He never spent more than he absolutely needed to. When he passed, I was quite upset to hear of it. My condolences Megan."

"Much obliged Lady Niadas, but it is unnecessary. My relationship with my father could be described as strained at best."

"How odd, the last time we met, he had nothing but good words for you. I got the impression he cherished you." Lady Niadas stopped and looked over the Pasture.

"Is this all you wished to speak with me about Lady Niadas? If so I really need to get back and check on my group."

Lady Niadas pulled open her pink purse and pulled a folded piece of paper and unfolded it. "I only recognized you because of this." She gave the piece of paper to her.

Taking it she took a look at it and found a decent sketch of her on it. Below the sketch was her last known area to live. It also included a small number. "What is this?"

"Due to the nature of my businesses, I occasionally get information from the underworld. This is a contract that has been put out for your life."

Looking sharply at Lady Niadas "I hope you're not planning to collect on it."

Shaking her head "Oh heavens no. I have no interest in doing so. I happen to have got into your patron's bad side, so I hope to use this to help get into his good graces."

"Too bad, I already knew my cousins placed a contract on me. Jack himself informed me."

"I didn't say this came from your cousins." Lady Niadas said smiling at Megan.

Frowning Megan said "Who then?"

"Baron Liefield, your business partner."

Startled Megan asked, "Why would he want to kill me?"

"With how low the price he set, he may not. What this is presumably meant to be is a warning, maybe it was just a push to persuade you to do something."

"You imply that he meant it as a threat?"

"Yes. Though I have heard you are now engaged to an Empire Noble. He will likely pull the contract down soon."

"I will deal with him later. As for the engagement, I intend to put an end to that as well."

Lady Niadas laughed and said "I admire your attitude, Megan. If you ever need help just let me know." She turned and walked back to the group twirling her pink parasol.

Tearing up the contract, she walked back to see Snort coughing up a black mass of goo. Princess Falean stroked it's back saying "Don't worry, Snort does that all the time."

Thank you for reading my story

33