Chapter 18- Promise
831 5 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was something odd about Alatia.

We were currently sitting in my room with my mistress occupying the bed and I sat on a chair while facing her.

The atmosphere of the room has calmed down, compared to the time when I made that spectacular entry.

I knew there was something like a 'Slavery Mark' on me but in the game, Alatia never used that, that's why I never bothered with it. However, experiencing it for the first time today, I could say, running away from Alatia was not an option for me.

Although I never intended to leave her...there might come many circumstances where I need to be somewhere, away from her. And if Alatia calls me at those times using those chains...somehow, it was making me anxious a lot.

However, given her current mood, I decided to not talk about that.

"My lady, I went to the western side of the Forest to train myself. I knew that the beasts on that side were more endurance-type and preferred nonviolence. As such, I thought they would be the"

"Nonsense. You are lying." Her words didn't surprise me. She knew me more than anyone in this world as such she wouldn't need to even look at my hue to tell that I was fabricating a lie.

Looking at her in the eye, with a warm look, I expressed, "Trust me Ala, whatever I do is for your benefit."

I dared call her that because it was only us in the room.

Although Alatia was rude toward me and constantly reminded me how useless I was, it was all a pretense. She was a very kind soul at heart and always looked after Kyle. That was the reason why she went against her family to buy someone as useless as me as her slave.

Alatia seemed a little taken aback. Given, I called her by her name after a long time, such a reaction was justifiable.

However, she couldn't just rest the case at this point either.

"What benefit? And what are you even trying to accomplish by risking your life again and again."

For Alatia to say so many words...I was taken aback a little.

However, hearing that concerned fueled voice I collected my thoughts and heaved a sigh.

"As I have told you before, whatever I do is to ensure your safety and pave a better future for you."

"But why? Shouldn't you be hateful toward me after what I have made you go through? Even the torture you faced in the prison was because of me....yet...why are you like this?"

The emotional outburst of the Princess...if her father knows about it, he might wage a war against me.

The lady was so invested in me because she has only a few people in life with whom she could be herself. Kyle is that shore for her, which relieves her from all the stress she accumulates while trying to be the perfect daughter of the Emperor.

'But what is this feeling....why it seems...Alatia is not being herself...' I decided to stop things here before Alatia could grow any more concerned for me.

I didn't want her to get attached to me too much. It would be lethal for both of us.

Getting up from my seat, I bowed my head before apologizing, "For making my lady concerned and all the troubles I had caused, I ask for your forgiveness. I will accept any punishment which my lady deems appropriate."

Suddenly shifting from a casual chat to a formal one...I knew I just had hurt Alatia.

I knew she wanted to maintain her relationship with me. And that relationship doesn't require formalities when we are alone. However, I didn't want her to develop feelings any further.

There would come a point where if she doesn't abandon me, and treads on the path of Light and Purity, then this world might get enshrouded in the shades of darkness forever.

'I feel like I am contradicting myself...' On one side I wanted Alatia's protection just in case my secret got revealed. And on the other hand, I want to keep an appropriate distance from her as well.

What a strange creature I have become...

From how I have acted just now, I was expecting her to return to her cold self. Worst, I was expecting her to actually punish me for not following her orders.

However,

"Kyle..." I instantly lifted my head hearing her voice from this close. And unlike what I expected, there was no trace of anger or indifference in her eyes.

All I could gaze at was...concern.

"I will arrange your training instructor and also the other necessary equipment here in Belur. But you have to promise me that you won't go anywhere which can endanger your life."

"..."

I was...flabbergasted.

Was my disappearance that shocking for her? Does she value my life more than what I anticipated? What did I change, to earn such a gentle side of Alatia?

Regardless, I cannot just turn my head away and lie to her now, can I?

Releasing a heavy breath, I responded to her,

"Understood. I will do as my lad-"

"No, not like that. Promise me as a friend that you will never risk yourself for me or any other reasons."

Those determined eyes...that real side of Alatia which only I have the luxury to look at. How could I have lied to her...

"Ala, I promise you...I won't do anything about which I am unsure of. I won't deliberately risk my life for any reason. Is this good enough?"

I couldn't help smiling at her as I asked.

A heart-melting smile, that could make anyone entranced, lifted the edges of her lips before Alatia nodded

Seriously, how can such a sweet and warm person be hailed as the Ice Princess?

*****

Just outside Kyle's room, Maria was waiting for Alatia with a long shawl in her hand.

For the lady of the mansion to wander in such an appearance was anything but appropriate.

"My lady, there is a high chance that Your Majesty might discover your presence in Kyle's room, during nighttime. The consequences this time might be more server."

Maria's concern was not unwarranted and baseless. Knowing how extreme Alatia's family could get when it comes to her and the people surrounding the Princess, there was a high chance that they would do something to separate Alatia from Kyle.

Alatia's gaze sharpened upon hearing those words, however, her feet never halted as she responded,

"How many maids and servants are there in the mansion?"

"Twenty-eight, my lady."

"Hmm..." Alatia remained silent for a moment before replying,

"Excluding Kyle, call everyone to my room after breakfast."

Maria was surprised to hear that Alatia's resolve was more leaning toward dealing with others rather than distancing herself from Kyle.

The maid couldn't help but smile at the young lady who seemed to have decided that who mattered to her most.

'I will pray for your happiness, my lady.'

****

A/N:- Ah, don't just start disliking Kyle. He knows the plot and kinda panicking because of the future.

However, once he falls for her, he would even change the unchangeable future and make God kneel before him, to be with her.

(I am not joking.)

Drop a comment.

28