Chapter four: Dyne Village
486 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The young girl stretched her arms and yawned. Pulling the blanket off her body she came to the edge of the bed. 

 

Clank*

 

She poured a glass of water from a wooden pitcher into a clay glass. After drinking it down she rose out of bed and walked to the opposite side of the small room to a wooden drawer. She pulled out a work dress and a pair of white underwear. She stripped off her pajamas and returned to a natural state. Grabbing a pale of water in the corner of the room she went to the hand pump in the kitchen. After filling it she carried it to a corner of the room with where a patch of dirt lay uncovered with Pete Moss. She sat down on a stool and took a bath. Using a rock to soap up her hair and a Dipper to rinse it took her ten minutes. After getting dressed she began preparing her breakfast. 

 

"Looks like a beautiful day!" She said as she opened the kitchen shutters.

 

Today's breakfast was pork and wheat stew. 

 

"Mmm"

 

Satisfied, she walked out outside and went behind the house to feed the chickens. 

 

"Oi Syrea, can you help pick tomatoes in the field today?" 

 

"Sure! Let me just water the herbs in the garden and I'll be right over!"

 

Syrea was quite liked in Dyne Village, spotless skin, long green hair, angelic voice. She had a sweet personality, she treated everyone's wounds with magic. She was called miss angel by most villagers. She had been proposed to a multitude of times. She was everything a man wanted. She was even more popular with all the women in the village.

 

When she got done watering the herbs she headed out to the fields to help Das pick ripened tomatoes. 

 

"This is the best harvest yet thanks to your magic we have great crops every year!"

 

"I'm glad to help"

 

The tomatoes using her magic to grow in size were twice as big as the biggest tomatoes you could find elsewhere. 

 

"Oh?"

 

"What is it Syrea?"

 

*Oh must have been my imagination silly me!"

 

She stuck out her tung and knocked her head. 

 

Truth be told she saw several wolves hiding in the wheat fields stalking the wheat farmers. 

 

"Man if we keep going like this we'll be finished in no ti…"

 

Ignoring the man talking she picked tomatoes and watch three wolves silently take down a villager. It was an instant kill before he had time so scream his throat was mangled and no air could escape his throat.

 

"Speaking can you put the ones you picked in that basket over there?"

 

"Sure!"

 

She dumped the tomatoes in her handbasket in the storage one. Then continued to observe the wolves in the wheat fields. 

 

"Ah I believe that girl was named Shee right pity I quite enjoyed our talks"

 

"You say something?"

 

"No…*

 

After about five more people someone finally yelled out.

 

"There's something in the wheat feil-"

 

That was the last incomplete phrase he said before his life ended. The other villagers got cautious and ran out of the fields. 

 

They grabbed weapons from the shed and guarded the entrance to the field. After a while nothing happened, still, they waited for the others to come out. Nothing happened, no voices, no screams, just silence. 

 

It was eerily quiet, the windswept over the fields with no sound, and as if to break that silence a scream of terror came from the pumpkin patch. 

 

Three wolves jumped out of the forest and began dragging a man alive into the forest. A villager with a how ran over and tried to hit the wolves to make them release him. But one of the wolves dropped its attention from the screaming man and attacked the man with the how at the same time four wolves burst out of the forest and ran into the vegetable fields. The screaming man was dragged into the forest where his screams abruptly stopped. Three more people ended up the same way, being dragged into the forest never to be heard again. 

 

After the three men were dragged off the attacks stopped and the villagers withdrew to their huts. 

 

That night nobody slept.

 

Everyone woke up at dawn and drew straws to see who would go to the fortress City Verdant to call for adventures to exterminate the wolves. A young boy at the age of fifteen drew the short straw.

 

He was given a horse and five gold coins for the request reward.

 

He rode off into the distance. Never to be heard of again.

 

The town's people did not go picking in the fields, they waited for help from the adventurers. The day passed and the night fell and like a cycle of a wheel no help came. The villagers began to panic but they knew that a merchant group along with the army would come in two weeks. So they stocked up on food blocked off their huts and bunkered down.

 

Two days later a villager came out to see a neighbor, he knocked on the door only to see that the door was unlocked and open. He looked inside to find that his neighbor had disappeared along with his family. When he looked into his neighbor’s room he found claw marks and saw that something had been dragged to a corner of the floor. There was no window there yet it looked as if someone had been dragged to that corner and disappeared.

 

The man warned the village chief and the village chief said to not open your doors at night.

 

The following day again a but was found empty with no one inside with claws and drag marks inside.

 

The village chief said to board up your windows and seal the door to make sure nothing could get in.

 

Yet same scenario happened over and over. The villagers gathered their families into three buildings, sealed any entrance, and took up any available weapon possible.

 

They took turns watching through cracks in the walls, this seemed to work….

For a little while.

10