Chapter 16: Red Flag
95 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Who are you, and why are you here?!” Right now, I’m confronting a drunkard who broke into your house. I found them earlier sleeping on my couch near where my avatars were having their little sleepover.

The drunkard took a sip out of the bottle they had in their hand, then stood up and dramatically posed, “I AM LADY LUCK! PROBABILITY INCARNATE! SHE WHO HOLDS THE SCALES!” She went back to sitting down and drinking her liquor.

“That doesn’t answer anything!”

“Calm down, Eve. Let me introduce her… again. That’s Chaos, the one who looked like the universe if it were a woman.”

“B-but,” I pointed at her, “She looks human right now.” In front of me was an adult woman, wearing office lady clothes, downing another bottle of beer.

“Yep, that’s me! Now don’t mind me. I want to drink in peace.”

“Oh, that explains why she won all the games last night. You manipulated luck to be on your side.”

“That’s right, little back stabby wabby.”

“What the. That’s disgusting.”

“I know. That’s why I said it.”

“Mom, can we kick her out?”

“You’re calling me mom seriously. I don’t like that. Also, yes, feel free to kick her out.”

“Hehe, well then, don’t mind if I do.” Mara started walking towards Chaos. Chaos dropped the bottle in her hand, which landed on top of an empty can on the floor. This moved the can in the way of May, who was currently running around the place and also preparing a tiny lightning bolt spell. She was playing tag with Kageko, who had thrown a ninja star to stop her temporarily. The can made May trip, which made the ninja star fly above her. May accidentally let off her magic, which deflected on the ninja star as the ninja star flew by. The magic hit Mara right in the foot, which caused her to be paralyzed.

“AGH!”

“Hahaha! That fool! She thought she could kick me out!”

“W-what just happened, Mori?”

“Well, you just witnessed why you should never piss off Lady Luck.”

“But she’s Chaos! Not Lady Luck!”

“Looky here, Eevee, chaos and luck are part of the same coin.”

“E-Eevee?!”

“So just let me drink in peace.”

“Sure. Wait, you didn’t answer why you’re here!”

“The whole Roundtable and avatar collectathon thing, remember.”

“Oh yeah, you’re part of the Roundtable.”

“As for the avatar causing me trouble… well, none are causing me trouble… it’s more like a relative of mine has them.”

“What does that mean?”

“You’ll find out in a minute or so. In the minute, shouldn’t you scold your daughter for using magic indoors and the other for using weapons indoors.”

“Hmm… I should. But first, Kageko, why are you still here? And where’s Amaterasu?”

“M-me and A-chan have decided to live here… if you don’t mind… also A-chan is gone to get her stuff.”

“Oh, I see. I have no problems since we conveniently have infinite room.”

“Your welcome, mom.”

“Shut it.”

That was when I heard the doorbell rang.

“Someone’s here. Let me answer that. In the meantime, you guys feel free to do whatever. Ah, but Mori, please keep an eye on that drunkard.”

“Got it, but don’t worry, she’s not drunk. Probably.”

“Whatever you say.” Off I went to answer the door.


“Hmm… so you’re Evelyn.” Right in front of me were two people. One was a man who towered above me, his head reaching the top of my door. He wore casual jeans and a hoodie, which had a very conspicuous skull on it. What stood out was the ancient Greek helmet he wore on his head. Next to him was a little girl half his size, wearing a cloak that covered everything from the neck down and a gas mask. She had a gun hanging around her back and a metal collar around her neck. “My name is Ares, the God of War, Combat, Warfare and other related subjects. Do not mind my companion here, for she is unimportant.”

“W-what brings you to the neighbourhood?” If I remember correctly, Ares was the one who had the Maid before Zeus took her.

“I’m here to wage war. I’m here to crush my enemies, pillage their property and take what is rightfully mine.”

That’s scary. That is actually scary. He’s letting out pure killing intent.

“However, I’m willing to make a deal. You give me that Maid, and I won’t do a thing.”

“You want Elizabeth?”

“Oh, Elizabeth. She didn’t mention her name when I asked.”

“Anyway… uh…” I’m quite conflicted. I don’t really want to go up against a literal God of war, but I also don’t want to lose Elizabeth. “Why haven’t you gotten a different maid?”

“The thing is that most maids don’t live long when under my employment. In fact, most things don’t live long when I’m involved.”

E-Elizabeth might die? “Then in that case… I-I’m going to have to refuse!”

“Ah, I see. So that’s your answer.” Suddenly, the calm look he had on his face disappeared and replaced by a smile that oozed malice. “Then war it is. I’m thankful for that answer. I haven’t been able to have proper fun in a while. Video games don’t have the same feel as ripping out a real person’s spine, after all. Hahaha. Best make your will, Evelyn. You’re up against a War God in a war. After three days, our war starts. Until then, I will prepare. You best do that.” With that, Ares and the little girl walked away.


“So I just spoke with Ares.”

“See, told you the reason I’m here would come here.”

“No, it doesn’t explain anything.”

“Okay, fine then. You know that little girl he had with him.”

“Yeah, what about her?”

“That’s an avatar of yours. The Soldier, to be exact.”

My eyes opened widely.

“That’s why I’m here. To help you get an avatar of yours of a relative of mine. Although,” Chaos took a look at the current avatars I gathered, “You’ll need more firepower, any idea what avatar you want to capture?”

“Hmm… maybe the Sharpshooter.”

“Good. That was my bet, and lucky for us, she’s in town today.”

Another chapter. Nothing really comes to mind, so enjoy a tiny Author's Note.

3