Chapter 13: First Blood
1.3k 3 74
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The team tensed, ready for battle. This was what they had trained for, what they had been assigned to do. They would not back down, no matter how outnumbered or outmatched they might be.

The bandit leader swung his sword, and the battle cry went up. "Taste my blade!"

The team launched themselves into the fray, their training and instincts taking over as they fought for their lives.

Clang! Ding! Clang! The clash of metal on metal, the grunts and cries of pain and effort, immediately filled the clearing.

Shino took the lead in deploying his ninjutsu, sending his swarm of insects towards the bandits. They were quick to react, but not quick enough.

Shino's insects swiftly blanketed the ground and coated the bandits themselves. As they swarmed around the enemy, Shino adjusted his glasses and calmly announced the name of his attack.

"Insect Swarm J-!"

"Let's go, Akamaru!" Kiba's excitedly commanded as he rushed into the enemy formation, tossing out a small ball.

Puff! A cloud of smoke exploded in the midst of the bandits, obscuring their sights, but the smoke could not stop Kiba's smell!

With claws outstretched, he pounced forward using his Four Legs Technique. Swoosh! Swoosh! Swoosh!

The poor bandits couldn't even react in the face of his attacks. Ninjas and mortals were a different class!

Quick and fierce, Kiba drew bloody gashes on the bodies of the bandits that were distracted by Shino's bugs.

Sensing blood, the insects intensified their attacks, biting and infiltrating the bodies of the bandits.

"Nooo! Help! They're coming inside- insideeee!"

After one fell, Shino's insects would focus on another enemy, closing in like a hunter entrapping a prey. The ninja bandit tried to evade them, but he was too slow.

"Ahhhh! Ahhh! Get them off me! Get them off- Nooo!" The insects swarmed around him, biting and stinging him relentlessly.

Hinata stood in place, but she didn't waste any time. Any bandits who tried to approach were her target.

Stably standing in place, her Byakugan targeted the weakest points in her enemies' bodies. Her defense was impeccable!

Yet, her blows were clearly hesitant. Her palms landed on her enemies' bodies, and they were thrown back with a force that surprised even her, yet it wasn't fatal.

Seeing one of the bandits being launched in his direction, Kiba cheered, "Thanks for the pass, Hinata- Wolf Fang Fist! Ha!"

With a strong jab, Kiba sent the bandit flying further. The bandit tumbled on the ground, spat out blood, and finally laid still.

Seeing this, Kiba stiffened in place for a moment, falling into confusion.

At this moment, a bandit suddenly appeared behind Kiba! The bandit's speed was far beyond a normal human! It was a ninja bandit!

"Die, brat!" the ninja bandit growled with a fierce face he aimed his kunai at Kiba's neck.

Caught off guard, Kiba had no time to react!

Shino's glasses glinted as he raised his hand. With a thought, the ninja bandit's attack came to a halt. Moments later, the ninja bandit's eyes widened as he grunted in pain and fear.

With a slight grin that no one saw, Shino clenched his fist, "Parasitic Destruction Tech-"

"ARGHHH!" the ninja bandit's scream drowned out Shino's words.

Hearing the horrid scream, both enemies and allies paused their battle for a moment.

Suddenly, the screams stopped, and a hush fell over the battlefield. Everyone turned to look at the source of the noise, and what they saw sent shivers down their spines.

From the ninja bandit's mouth, nose, and ears, a horde of insects began to emerge, burrowing their way out of his body. The sight was both gruesome and terrifying, as the bugs wriggled and squirmed in the open air, their sharp pincers and menacing exoskeletons on full display.

The ninja bandit, once so fierce and fearsome, was now reduced to a lifeless husk, drained of all chakra and bodily fluids.

As the lifeless husk crumbled to the ground, Shino stood calmly near the body, his eyes like a deep abyss while his bugs swarming around him.

The other hidden ninja bandits watched in stunned silence. Shortly after, one of them mumbled, "Huh? When was there an extra ninja brat on the field?"

It was finally then that they paid attention to the unassuming bug boy who had been silently standing alone with no bandits attacking him… It turns out that the annoying bugs distracting them came from him! How did they not notice?!

For a moment, no one moved, no one spoke. The horror of what they had just witnessed was too much to bear. Even Hinata had stiff faces as if she recalled some undesirable memory. Kiba had it worse as his face became pale. After all, he got front row seat to the performance.

But then, the moment passed, and the battle resumed, more fierce and more determined than before. "Stop him! Don't let him bug us!"

The bandits, now aware of the deadly power of Shino's insects, sent bandits over to harass him. The rest redoubled their efforts to defeat him and his allies.

Seeing the two bandits rushing in his direction, Shino adjusted his glasses with a slight smile. A good support is one that can draw aggro. It was finally time for him to shine.

The tension in the air was palpable as the two bandits charged towards Shino, their faces twisted into fierce snarls.

"I can squash bugs like you any day!" "Yea, just tiny bugs! Who are you trying to scare?!"

Shino stood his ground, his hands raised up and his insects buzzing around him like a boss battle background track. His glasses glinted menacingly, signaling to the bandits that they were in for a world of hurt.

The two bandits finally approached! Shino's eyes squinted in preparation.

But just when he was about to command his insects to commence their assault, his face stiffened as he watched the two bandits continue to scream and scream until they ran way past him. Without glancing back, they continued to bolt forward at breakneck speed, faster and faster, away and away…

Shino awkwardly stood there, dumbfounded. Is the script wrong? When did fierce bandits start fleeing from battle like scaredy-cats?

Turning around and locking his eyes on the bandits fleeing into the distance, Shino's eyes shone strangely when he observed their route. A sly smile slowly arose on his face.

"It seems my pet won't go hungry today," Shino thought inwardly as he returned his focus to the battlefield.

If anyone were to pay attention to Shino, they would have noticed that he wasn't carrying his box on his back. Alas, no one paid attention to when he had taken it off. Maybe if this was a story, even the author will forget to mention it…

Surveying the battlefield with his eyes, Shino noticed a strange fact. Besides the bandit that Kiba accidentally killed and the one finished off by himself, the number of bandits didn't actually dwindled.

There were many in the group of bandits suffering from injuries, but none fatal. Shino's eyes locked onto Hinata who was constantly knocking bandits away.

Sweat had began to appear on her forehead, hinting at her exhaustion from the constant harassment and usage of her abilities. Once she becomes exhausted, she knows would be in a desperate situation. Yet, she is still so soft-hearted…

On the other hand, Kiba was more fierce. Most of the bloody injuries were caused by him. Some bandits were also brought down to the ground by him, but it seems he also avoided making the final blow. The first one was an accident, and now even he seemed to be hesitating and holding back…

Shino knew there was a first for everything, and murder should not be on the curriculum for children like them. Alas, this world was crooked.

If they are to survive as a ninja, this was a necessity. His companions will have to learn sooner or later- Shino was sure Kurenai sensei will make sure of this.

In the meantime, Shino will do his duty and play his role of support perfectly.

For what felt like an eternity, the team battled against the bandits. Kiba's fangs flashed as he lunged at his opponents.

Hinata's hands moved with blinding speed as she struck at their vital points trying to immobilize them.

Shino's insects swarmed around him, biting and stinging with deadly accuracy all who approached…

Uh, he wasn't sure if they were afraid of him or if they didn't notice him, because nobody came to fight him. He wasn't sure if he should be happy or sad over this fact, but this did let him fully focus his attention on supporting his teammates.

Hinata was almost hit by a kunai thrown by one of the ninjas hidden in the midst of the bandits, but Shino's insects intervened, blocking the attack just in time with an insect wall.

"Thanks, Shino-kun," Hinata said, as she caught her breath before she continued to knock enemies back with her gentle fists.

In the midst of battle, Akamaru was punted and sent flying. Shino caught him and gave him a cushion with his insects. He returned a shivering pup to Kiba, "Che- thanks, but can you not scare Akamaru with your bugs next time?"

Oh, is that why the pup was shivering? Who knew.

Regardless, after seeing his partner's condition, Kiba became more fierce and began to use his signature moves. After doping themselves with pills, Akamaru's fur turned red. Crouching on all fours, Kiba had a menacing face as he commanded.

"Akamaru! Man beast clone!"

"Arf!" Akamaru leapt onto Kiba's back.

Poof! In a puff of smoke, now there were two Kibas on the battlefield. Before the bandits could understand what was transpiring, Kiba's eyes narrowed as he growled, "Fang Over Fang!"

Both Kiba and Akamaru began to spin rapidly like a drill. With a growl, they launched themselves at the crowd of bandits- Boom!

Enemies were sent flying as sharp claws sank into their body!

"Awooooo!" A deafening howl resounded on the battlefield when the assault came to its end.

Boom! Crashing onto the ground in an unsightly manner, Kiba did a roll to stabilize himself and caught Akamaru who had transformed back into a little pup, both panting in exhaustion. It seems this move still hasn't been mastered by them yet.

Still, many bandits lay at his feet, writhing in pain and clutching their wounds.

Kiba stood over them, his chest heaving with exertion but his eyes blazing with ferocity. It was unknown how many bandits were killed by his move, but when he saw his lifelong partner hurt, Kiba had awoken his inner beast.

The bandits that had once been so eager to engage in battle now quivered in fear, realizing the true power of Kiba's jutsu.

In that moment, there was no doubt in anyone's mind that the dog boy was a force to be reckoned with. Just because he became a stepping stone for Naruto doesn't mean he is weak.

However, that technique was costly. It drained Kiba's chakra and he was also injured. Shino noticed that one of his arm seemed to be trembling, probably injured from his reckless behavior. He still has a long way to go before he reaches his state in the Chuunin exam.

Still, it was a good thing that his heart had finally settled on walking the path of a ninja. Alas...

Shino drew blood. Kiba drew blood. But Hinata still hasn't had her first blood…

Shino adjusted his glasses and made no comment. His eyes secretly swept around. It's about time that she shows up…

Meeting his expectations, Kurenai sensei entered the battlefield in an imposing manner, rising out from the ground.

Moments after her entrance, her red eyes swept the battlefield. The remaining ninjas and bandits stiffened in place as if there was an unknown force holding them.

"Kurenai sen-" Hinata exclaimed with relief, but suddenly fell silent.

Swish. Without warning, Kurenai sensei whipped out a kunai with a swift twirl. In one fluid motion, she waltzed through the frozen enemies, calmly slicing their throats and showing no mercy until... there was only one alive.

Her eyes then locked onto Hinata who was panting in exhaustion. She sauntered towards the panting Hinata, the air thickening with tension. Coming to a stop in front of Hinata, with another twirl, she handed the bloody kunai to her student.

Hinata's white eyes fixated on the kunai still dripping with blood. With eyes filled with confusion, she blankly looked up at her Kurenai sensei, whose red eyes bore into Hinata's with an intensity that made her shudder.

74