1-5 Crushing it Hard
35 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

SHIGEO’S INTERROGATION—
2:27 PM.

Shigeo returns home after a long day of using his parahuman powers to help (his not-a-friend) Taylor make friends with Capes. As he walks through the door of the house, he can't help but feel a sense of relief. He manages to keep his powers hidden from the world for so long, thanks to the help of his foster father, Reigen.

Reigen is currently a low-level personnel at PRT-ENE, and he is the one who is the first to discover Shigeo's powers. Being an experienced government worker equivalent to a PRT in Japan, Reigen takes Shigeo under his wing and helps him learn to control his abilities.

The trick as to how Shigeo has destroyed every surveillance camera within his range has come from Reigen’s teachings. Before leaving Taylor with the Undersiders to deal with the approaching PRT, Shigeo has ‘instructed’ them to fake the destruction of the surveillance equipment and credit it to Taylor’s doing by using her bugs to destroy them.

Shigeo watches then from afar while Armsmaster engages with Taylor: the two seemingly following a script that Tattletale has created… Armsmaster is unaware he is dancing on someone else’s palm, while Taylor is surprisingly adept at making the deal with Armsmaster.

Recalling that particular snippet of memory, Shigeo feels like Taylor has a talent for this cape business. Shigeo recalls Lung who more than once has been distracted by flying bugs, giving Shigeo opportune moments to strike back and finish the fight much earlier.

If Shigeo is forced too much, he might end up in a psychotic break. [95% Anxious]

As Shigeo makes his way towards the living room, he can't help but feel a sense of unease. He hopes that Reigen is at work and that he won't have to explain why he snuck out of the house earlier that day. But as he enters the living room, he sees Reigen, a Japanese man with short reddish-blond hair, sitting on the couch, waiting for him.

"Hey, Reigen," Shigeo says, trying to keep his voice calm. "I didn't expect you to be home so early."

Reigen gives him a knowing smile. "I filed for an emergency leave of absence," he says. "I had a feeling you might try to sneak out today."

Shigeo sighs and sits down on the couch next to Reigen. "I'm sorry," he says. "I just want to help Taylor."

"I know," Reigen says, placing a comforting hand on Shigeo's shoulder. "But you need to be careful. The PRT is always watching, and if they find out about your powers, they won't hesitate to use you for their own purposes. Heck, I reckon they’d even want to put you out like a dog if you don’t cooperate."

Shigeo nods, knowing that Reigen is right. He has seen firsthand how the PRT uses parahumans for their own gain, and he doesn't want to be a part of that.

“Hell,” Reigen continues in a sarcastic tone, “Of course, you knew all of that already, yet here you are… going to extra lengths to impress a girl that doesn’t even like you back.”

"Reigen," Shigeo says, breaking the silence. "I'm sorry for all the trouble I've caused you. I know you've given up a lot to help me."

Reigen looks at him with a sad smile. "You don't need to apologize, Mob," he says. "I made a promise to your parents to keep you safe, and I intend to keep that promise."

Shigeo nods, feeling grateful for Reigen's loyalty. He knows that he can always count on him, no matter what. But what Shigeo has done, he feels guilty over it a hundred times over… [98% Guilt]

“Before you forget, here,” Reigen tosses a cylinder at Shigeo, it is a vial of pills.

Shigeo takes out two and swallows them in one mouthful, and feels a surge of calm quickly invade every crevice of his being. [50% Sedated]

“Take two more, just to be sure because you went out… If you feel the medicine’s effects are getting weaker, tell me, and we’ll change your meds.” Reigen stands up, stretching his back.

“Ok,” Shigeo replies as he pops up two more and swallows them.

[1% Default]

Taking a deep calming breath, Shigeo realizes how miserable his life is… Hopefully, things will be better with Taylor tomorrow, and Shigeo won’t out himself as a Parahuman anytime soon.

………

……

.

LESSON OF A LIFETIME—
4:50 AM.

The next morning, Shigeo wakes up early and quietly gets ready for school. He doesn't want to wake Reigen, who is still asleep on the couch. As he is about to leave, Reigen suddenly sits up, startling Shigeo.

"Where are you going?" Reigen asks, rubbing his eyes.

"I have school," Shigeo replies, trying to act nonchalant.

Reigen gives him a knowing look. "You're not going to school, are you?" he says.

Shigeo hangs his head, feeling guilty. "I'm sorry, Reigen," he says. "I just wanted to go for a run before class. I know… it is lame… I’ve been jogging routinely for two years, and I am not improving. It might be a genetic problem after all… But I still had to try."

Reigen sighs and gets up from the couch. "I'll come with you," he says. "I could use some exercise."

Shigeo can't believe it. “Aren’t you like, super busy? I hear… Lung just got destroyed.”

“Don’t be a smartass,” Reigen remarks with a funny face. “And don’t look so smug, you runt.”

As they go for a run, Shigeo can't help but feel a sense of freedom. It is constraining that he cannot use his powers as freely as he likes… Reigen is a kind of prison for Shigeo, but one that keeps him safe. It is only right that Shigeo hides his power because it is too powerful in that it even scares Shigeo himself.

As they continue their run, Reigen looks over at Shigeo with a serious expression. "So do you like this girl enough to risk your life for her? Is she pretty? If not, I’ll feel bad about you…"

Shigeo ponders for a moment before responding, "Yes, she is pretty… Nowadays, not as much." He winces at admitting it, but it is the truth… the prickly behavior is understandable, but Shigeo is human too and will feel bad if someone just snaps at you.

Reigen raises an eyebrow, surprised by Shigeo's blunt response. "Wow, Mob. I never knew you could be so blunt. What changed? Is the girl of your dreams not as pretty as you thought? Did she suddenly have pimples or something? I know you don’t share much with me when it comes to school, but man, I am glad no one in school is bullying you."

Shigeo nods thoughtfully, his mind briefly recalling the times when Reigen had intervened on his behalf, even against members of the ABB. "Of course, they won’t dare do anything overt," he says. "Yeah, I am glad I have you… I never knew you could move ABB members like that." Shigeo reckons that is another reason why Taylor in particular snapped at him last time.

Reigen chuckles, shaking his head. "Nah, it's a side gig… It was a sting op, at some point, ABB thugs started to bribe me. I just made use of them to make our lives easier."

Shigeo raises an eyebrow, a hint of mischief in his expression. "Is that why you are still a low-level member of PRT? Someone up the ladder smelled your stink?" he teases, smirking.

Reigen chuckles in response, though there's a hint of sadness in his eyes. "Yeah, sure… I'm sorry, Mob. You must feel bad that someone has to save you, when in fact, you are more capable of saving yourself with your powers. But you know we cannot afford for you to reveal what you are truly capable of…"

Shigeo nods understandingly, his expression softening. "That's cheating, I am just joking, you know," he says, a small smile playing on his lips.

As they continue their jog, Reigen takes the lead, setting a brisk pace. Shigeo follows closely, listening intently to Reigen's words of wisdom.

"A word of wisdom, Mob," Reigen says, his voice carrying a solemn tone.

"Sure," Shigeo replies, matching Reigen's pace as he looks at his foster father's lonely back. "Let me hear your sagacious words, Reigen-sensei."

Reigen takes a deep breath before speaking, his words measured and deliberate. "I once said, life is more precious than anything, and that’s why there are rules we follow to keep you hidden and safe. I lied. It is not ‘life’ in itself that is precious, because every day, people die, and are snuffed out from existence. That indicates how ‘useless’ and ‘worthless’ life is."

Shigeo listens with a thoughtful expression crossing his face. "So what is the truth then? What is more precious than anything?"

Reigen's gaze remains fixed ahead as he continues jogging. "Believing the lie," he replies cryptically.

Shigeo furrows his brow, pondering Reigen's words as they run. "Is it?" he asks, picking up his pace to catch up with Reigen.

Reigen glances at Shigeo with a hint of concern in his eyes. "Don’t die on me, Shigeo, you hear?" he says, his voice tinged with urgency.

Shigeo nods, a sense of determination settling over him. "I won't," he promises, pushing himself to keep up with Reigen.


#Daddy Reigen #Mob on Drugs 

3