1-6 Crushing it Hard
27 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

TAYLOR’S PARANOIA—
APRIL 12, 2011

Taylor walks the halls of Winslow High, she is wearing a hoodie, hiding her features. There is a reason she is this paranoid today. It is not just the bullies anymore.

There is something off about Shigeo, something that makes Taylor's skin crawl whenever he is around. This is true even before she has become a Prahuman. In fact, the feelings have become stronger since she has become a cape. Taylor can't quite put her finger on it, but there is something gravely wrong with this kid.

And Taylor can't shake off the feeling that he is watching her, not in a creepy sense, but something like a superior lifeform will— there is this aloofness in Shigeo that suggests he looks down on everyone.

Taylor can't take it anymore especially what she has discovered. She has to know what is going on with Shigeo. So, she does some digging and manages to get his number from the school's database. With a trembling hand, she types out a text message asking him to meet her in the alley behind the grocery store during lunch break.

As she makes her way to the alley, Taylor can't help but feel a sense of dread. She stands at the edge of the rooftop, her hoodie pulled up to hide her features. She watches as Shigeo enters the alley. She can feel her heart racing as she waits for him to approach the alley.

Because she is on the rooftop, and Shigeo is on the ground level, Taylor will be able to escape more easily if it comes to it. Taylor is aware that Shigeo is a parahuman who can use telekinesis, and he can even fly, but it is meaningless if Shigeo exposes his civilian identity while using his powers— this is what gives Taylor confidence.

“Hey,” Shigeo says, his voice is quiet and monotone.

“Hi,” Taylor replies, trying to keep her voice steady.

Shigeo Kageyama— he has black bowl-cut hair, a slim physique, and dull black eyes— he is also the helmet-guy who has come saving Taylor, and the very same person who has arranged for her to get semi-affiliated with the Undersiders and the PRT.

“Why do you want to meet me here?” Shigeo asks, his piercing gaze making Taylor squirm.

“I-I want to talk to you,” Taylor stutters, her nerves getting the best of her.

It is only right for Taylor to get scared, Shigeo is the same guy who just wiped the floor with Lung, the boss of ABB. Though Taylor has some contributions to it, she cannot compare to Shigeo at all.

“About what?” Shigeo's tone remains unchanged.

“About...you,” Taylor says, her voice barely above a whisper.

Shigeo's eyes seem to bore into Taylor's very soul as she struggles to maintain her composure. 

"What?" Shigeo's voice cuts through the tense silence, his monotone tone echoing off the alley walls.

"You're... the helmet guy, right?" Taylor's voice wavers slightly as she speaks, her nerves palpable. “Before you went on your way, I attached some of my bugs to you… That’s what outed your identity… It was easy to track you.”

Shigeo's expression remains impassive as he nods. "I see. I am unable to detect it because it is not an intelligent creature."

Taylor's heart pounds in her chest as she takes a step back, her mind racing. "It... it makes me uncomfortable that you're easily admitting to it."

A faint flicker of something unreadable passes through Shigeo's eyes before he responds. "Because it doesn’t mean anything to me if you know my civilian identity, because I already knew yours to begin with."

Taylor's breath catches in her throat, her mind reeling at his words. "Is that... is that a threat?"

Shigeo pauses, seeming to consider his words carefully before replying. "I... No. I am being blunt? Yes, I am being blunt."

Taylor's hands tremble slightly as she struggles to process the implications of their conversation. Something about Shigeo unsettles her deeply, and she can't shake the feeling that there's far more to him than meets the eye. But as she stands on the rooftop, watching him below, she knows one thing for certain—she's in far deeper than she ever imagined.

"Sorry," Shigeo says abruptly, his voice still maintaining that quiet, monotone quality.

Taylor blinks, taken aback. "What?"

"I am on meds," Shigeo explains, almost reluctantly. "So, I might talk weird. I don’t like expressing emotions. I prefer not to. It is complicated, but yes, I am the helmet guy. I saved you. I fought Lung."

Taylor nods slowly, trying to process his words. "So you are not a member of ABB after all?" she asks, a hint of disbelief in her voice as she recalls the instances where Shigeo’s foster father was trailed by ABB thugs when he visited the school.

"No, I am not," Shigeo confirms, his expression remaining neutral. "Reigen, my foster father, works for the PRT."

"Really?" Taylor's eyebrows shoot up in surprise.

Shigeo nods. "Low-level position. It is inconsequential."

Taylor's mind races with the implications of this new information. Shigeo being associated with the PRT changes everything. It adds layers to the mystery surrounding him, but also raises more questions. She can't help but wonder what other secrets he might be hiding.

“The real important thing is that you had back-up, right?” There is almost a light of expectation in Shigeo’s eyes as if he is expecting praise for how he helped Taylor.

Taylor's pulse quickens unsure how to answer that, so instead she fires back a question. "W-why did you do it? How were you even there, yesterday?" she stammers, her voice shaky with a mix of fear and confusion.

Shigeo's gaze remains steady as he responds, and his tone is devoid of emotion. "Because I had a crush on you."

Taylor's eyes widen in disbelief. "W-what? That d-didn’t even explain anything!?" she blurts out, unable to comprehend his reasoning.

"I saw you sneaking away from your house," Shigeo continues, his voice monotone but matter-of-fact. "My Spiritual Awareness clued me in on it… and then I saw you sneaking away wearing your costume. And then I understood you were a cape."

Taylor's mind races as she tries to piece together the puzzle. "I avoided every surveillance cam, but I wasn’t able to avoid you?" she asks, a sense of unease creeping over her… She certainly doesn’t like the feeling of being watched, but her powers essentially do the same.

"I would've not seen you if I was asleep," Shigeo replies calmly. "I was reading a manga…"

"So what happened next?" Taylor presses, her instincts telling her that there's more to the story, despite Shigeo's seemingly straightforward explanation.

"I stalked you, saw every thug you fell, and the efforts you put in… I didn’t intervene until Lung happened," Shigeo reveals, his words sending a chill down Taylor's spine as she realizes the extent of his surveillance.

Taylor's emotions surge as she confronts Shigeo, her anger and frustration bubbling to the surface. "When did you… had a crush on me?" she demands, her voice trembling with indignation. "What are you, a creep? I am the least likable girl in this school! What? Did you want me as a pet? Is that it? You think of me as pretty, huh!?" Her words spill out in a torrent of anger and hurt, lashing out at Shigeo's perceived intrusion into her life.

Shigeo remains silent, his expression inscrutable as he listens to Taylor's outburst, his black eyes fixed on her.

"Answer me!" Taylor's voice cracks with emotion, tears threatening to spill from her eyes. "I hate this school, I hate the world, and I hate everything! Creepy fucker! What is it you saw in me!? Huh?" She knows her words are harsh, but she can't contain the overwhelming surge of emotions coursing through her.

Shigeo's response is slow, and measured. "I… I…" He fumbles for words, his gaze flickering downwards for a moment.

"What!?" Taylor's impatience grows, her frustration reaching its peak as she waits for Shigeo's reply.

Without a word, Shigeo retrieves a pill from his pocket and swallows it, his actions swift and deliberate. He looks up at Taylor, then turns around without uttering a single word, leaving her standing alone on the roof by the alley, grappling with the whirlwind of emotions raging inside her.

………

……

.

TEARS ARE SALTY FOR A REASON—

Shigeo walks away from the alley with tears blurring his vision, while a lump forms in his throat. Taylor's words reverberate in his mind like a relentless echo, each syllable piercing his heart with a painful sting. She believes he's a creep, and that she hates him. But he knows deep down, it's not true. He never intended to make her feel uncomfortable or invade her privacy. All he wanted was to protect her, to stand by her side.

But Shigeo understands the injustice of feeling wronged when Taylor likely endured far worse. To her, he must appear as an overpowering force, but the reality is quite different—he's weak, too weak to even manage his own emotions, let alone shield those he cares for.

Painfully recalling the times when Leviathan attacked Japan, Shigeo cannot help but feel helpless. He was four years old at that time when he double-triggered.

[44.44% Unstable]

He draws in a shaky breath, attempting to regain his composure as he navigates the desolate alleyway. His mind feels like it's spiraling out of control, emotions teetering on the brink of insanity. Yet, he knows he cannot afford to lose control now. He must remain steadfast, for his own sake.

With trembling hands, Shigeo retrieves another pill from his pocket, swallowing it hastily in a bid to quell the tumult within him. The familiar surge of tranquility washes over him, momentarily dulling the ache in his chest. But he's well aware it's only a temporary reprieve.

[13% Complicated]

Each step he takes resonates in the empty alley, a stark reminder of his own shortcomings. Taylor's cutting words linger in the air, haunting him as he grapples with the harsh truth.

After classes, Shigeo trudges to the bus stop, his mind still weighed down by the encounter with Taylor. The ride home feels longer than usual, each passing minute stretching into an eternity of silent turmoil. When he finally arrives at his stop, he hurries home, hoping for some semblance of solace in the familiar confines of his apartment.

But as he steps through the door, the eerie stillness greets him. Normally, Reigen would be there, lounging on the couch or tinkering with something in the kitchen. However, tonight there's only silence.

"Reigen?" Shigeo calls out tentatively, his voice echoing in the empty space. No response.

He fishes out his phone, fingers trembling as he dials Reigen's number. It rings and rings, each tone amplifying the gnawing worry in his gut. Still, there's no answer.

Minutes tick by like hours, the silence suffocating him as he paces the room. Anxiety gnaws at his insides, a relentless predator preying on his frayed nerves. Where could Reigen be? Why isn't he answering?

With each passing hour, Shigeo's exhaustion deepens, but sleep eludes him. The weight of uncertainty presses down on him like a suffocating blanket, trapping him in a restless limbo.

As the early hours of the morning approach, Shigeo resigns himself to the fact that sleep won't come. He sits by the window, watching the city stir to life with a heavy heart, the emptiness of the apartment a stark reminder of his own vulnerability.


#When two negatives collide, they don't always make a positive!

3