21 – Blue
146 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They headed back to Chir afterward. Gin waved her goodbye as she stepped through her gate towards home and then ended up in her room. Still, she felt restless. Balling her fist and opening it back again. Something inside her itched; it itched for a fight, for something for moving. It was weird.
It was late, though. Dinner was in an hour or two. She couldn't stay long but still wanted to do something.

The encounter with the wolves had awakened something relatively peaceful inside her until now. It had been too small; she wanted more. She rolled her shoulders. She was dusty, sandy, exhausted, and not exceptionally clean yet, but she was more comfortable than in quite a while. A quick glance at the clock in her room made her realize that while it was little time, it was still two hours. She could go and conquer a dungeon.
Additional Training, or just to run. She had to pay attention on Earth, but she could just run or fight in a dungeon.

But why? Wasn't she supposed to feel nothing? She called up her skills, had something changed? 

She called up her skill board

Name: July

Age: 23

Passive Skills: Supreme Survivor - S, Cold Hearted - A, Lucky One - A 

Active Skills: World Wanderer - SS, Patience - S, Strong One - S, Strong Fist - D 

Thinking about it, she found it ironic; before the darkness, she would have shuddered at the mere mention of a dungeon, and here July stood, deliberating if she should just conquer a dungeon to kill time and satisfy the inner urge to do something until dinner.

Her hand touched Supreme Survivor and Wanderer. Supreme Survivor was something that helped her get through situations...like an additional instinct, that much she had noticed. Wanderer let her go wherever she wanted through a gate...did Supreme Survivor make her restless or Wanderer. 

She closed her eyes and searched for a disturbance. Except the desire to go and do something, anything, nothing. A blank slate. 

Activating World Wanderer, she headed off into a random C-rank dungeon—not Chir this time—ending up in what looked like a cave. Stretching, she put on her mask and headed deeper into the cave-like dungeon.

Occasionally, she saw bugs appear, but no one seemed interested in a conversation or a fight. They ran away, so she avoided them. She could have killed them, but then the materials would have gone to waste, and she knew Gin had a point: simply killing for fun was not worth it. 
At some point, she heard voices and headed towards them, hiding behind a rock when they passed her. They were a hunter party, all dressed in armor; the guild sigil was well recognizable. She went through those Sigils she had learned on her father's computer.

Angel Dust, she remembered. A Thai Guild is known for its good-looking members and a high percentage of B-plus rank Mages, especially combat Mages. Staying behind her rock, she continued observing them and how they worked. Heavily armored people in front, fast people with knives and swords. No one was fighting with their fists, but she guessed it wasn't necessary either, considering how many bugs the five mages behind them fried and downed with their spells. Some of them are incredibly flashy, others more pointed and precise.
One of the mages caught her eye especially. It was a mage wearing a mask like her; he wore no guild symbol. His long, straight hair was dark blue, almost black, and his skin was pale from the bit she could see of his face. He moved differently, faster, and more fluently; it reminded her of Gin, and his spells were some of the least flashy but always taking down more than one opponent at once.

Once they were finished, she let out a hiss; they were good, she reckoned; it had all looked so easy, so coordinated. Suddenly, she felt someone looking at her. Not bothering to really hide, she stepped forward. While the other raid group members were about to put away the remainder of the bugs and take off all they deemed valuable, the person with the long hair kept staring at her. A pair of deep blue eyes stared at her. She leaned her head aside. July had never seen someone with such an eye color.
Then she saw him, how he bowed towards her. The other members turned towards him, surprised. However, before they could spot her, July decided it was best to vanish. She headed deeper into the dungeon, summoned her skill, and returned home. It was a familiar feeling as she hit the carpet on the room's floor. Getting out of her shoes, she went to the bathroom.

The warm water ran down her body, and she looked at her hands. Opening and closing them. She wanted to grow stronger and figure out who that man had been; maybe that could be her occupation of time for now... Stepping out of the shower, he dried off and looked at herself; leaning closer, she noticed her eyes had changed. "What?" She mumbled, puzzled. Her eyes were still dark, almost black, but they shone slightly purple underneath the bathroom lights. Was her body still changing? If yes, how much would it change? The more she changed, the more people saw her as a hunter or a monster. It was most likely not a positive thing.

But the longer she was a hunter the more her body would adapt to the powers it held. 

In comfortable clothes, she headed to dinner and hugged her mother out of the blue. It would make her haply. A warm pair of hands curled around her, and she buried her head in the woman's shoulder. "Thank you," she mumbled and settled at the table, remaining silent as her mother chatted with her father about how his day had gone.
At some point, her father turned to her. "The Doctor wishes to speak with you. That said, it would be best for you to interact with others and return to school as soon as possible. I have already spoken to the director of your old college, and they said it is fine. You can simply restart where you left off. You shouldn't be cooped up in my office or running in the forest all day."

July opened her mouth to say something when her mother interrupted her. "Don't you think it's a bit soon, my dear? I don't wish for her to become a spectacle, and there will be a lot of eyes on her once she is back in school or among people."

"She will have to handle it, Mary. It's unavoidable, and she is a grown-up woman. She will have to have an independent life, and it will be better to bring this behind her before her life starts as that of an average adult."

"She is still barely twenty; there is plenty of time left until she has to be completely independent, and we are not poor either. We have enough money to make her afford more time."

"Has she ever done something normal until now, like going out shopping with you among normal people? I want my daughter to live a normal life, including growing independent at thirty-five. If you still remember, she is thirty-five now, not a child. I don't want her to be a Freak."
July remained ever so stoic at the last word, putting down her fork and knife. After hearing what he had said the first night, she hadn't expected to be accepted by him but she had hoped for more time. Both of her parents stared at her as she stood up. She gazed at her father. "I am your daughter, if you like it or not." She told him flatly. "For better or worse, don't worry. I won't be here for too long."

She answered him and then took a deep breath before sitting down again. Her mother had worked a long time to prepare the food for her, and it was not like she couldn't understand her father. There was precious little, actually almost nothing left of the former July. Who she had been.
Her parents spent their time litigating on the table while the cause remained sitting silently.

4