24 – Brand named Clothes
121 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been seven moonrises since her first visit to Chir. She went through the streets, it was hot as the sun glared down from above more mercilessly than usual. It went so far that the vendors sold their cold fruit at astronomical prices; only good no one could sell water, only hire people to bring you water from the springs and fountains scattered around, or else the water would be measured in gold coins. An elegant water bearer glided past her, a giant urn balancing on her head as she spotted Tamar's small store behind two fruit vendors she couldn't remember being there the last time. The large billowing fabrics at the entrance playing with the wind. 

Walking past them, their offered their wares and goods. When she stepped into the store, she was surprised by a cheery. "My beauty in black. Welcome, Welcome, how may I serve you today." It was cooler then outside. Still hot but better. 

"I would like to pick up my order, the one Gin paid for, and ask for a headscarf or something to aid me as a covering from the sun while I am here. It is hotter than normal today." She said. Tamar grinned at her, and there was a gleam in his eyes. "Ah, a woman with a goal then. How could I not be prepared? Come, sit down. My apprentice will bring you tea. The sun is mean today, but then there are days like this when she brings down God's fury upon us with her heat. Your clothes are in the back. Could you please excuse me for a second? Feel free to look around." 

He vanished to the back, and July watched with fascination as an all-wrapped-up young boy with a turban handed her a colorfully painted cup of tea before walking backward with a bowed head vanishing behind the balls of fabric. While she waited, another person walked through the door. A birdman with a golden chain around his neck and a dark blue haired man beside him, the birdman was already tall but the one behind him was giant. July guessed at least two metres. Eyes of  deep blue fixated on her. Lately she encountered a lot of blue eyed and haired people. The bird man spotted her as she tried to stand up to greet them, but shook his head. "We are waiting for Tamar. No need to stand up." He said, his voice resembling smooth honey. Tamar returned from the back, her order in his hands when he saw the new customers. 

"Jamil, bring the Chai!" he thundered, and then he bowed to the two. "It is my honor to find you here in my establishment. How may I help you, honorable one?" he asked. The usual foxiness and joke in his voice disappeared as he gave her a very apologetic look. She shook her head, signaling to him that she was fine. Sipping at her tea, the flowers-scented liquid tasted totally different from what she was used to and was extremely refreshing despite the heat outside.

"I have come to make an order, but I am in no hurry; Tend to your customer first," the birdman said respectfully as the apprentice came with chai and set out a small table and two chairs. "We will make ourselves comfortable first." 

"Certainly, I thank you graciously for your understanding," Tamar said, then switched to her. "I have no apologies, Miss, but the one that fate intervened. Your clothes. A pair of pants, a shit, shoes and a jacket in your preferred style. Gin also ordered a pair of fingerless gloves and a mask for you, saying they are a gift for the upcoming hunt." He said and handed her the items. "Jamal!" He thundered, and his apprentice brought a sand-colored long covering with a hooded hat that held two delicate chains. "This is against the sun; as you mentioned earlier, it is pre-made, so the quality is sadly not up to par, but I understood that you were searching for something you can use right away due to the heat." 

"Yes, that's right. Thank you, Tamar. It is greatly appreciated." She answered him. "How much for the coat?" 

"six gold." He answered her, and the customer nipping at his coffee ended up coughing. Well, if she needed any clue about being ripped off, this had been it. She had seen pre made cloth outside for a handful of silver and Gin had negotiated last time too. "Three. This is pre-made." 

"But the heat miss, but the heat and it come from my store." He objected as dramatic as if she had just tried to rob him. "Five Gold, at least." He said, and July gave him a long look. 

"Four, and you throw in a bag for the other clothes." She stated that he opened his mouth to object when she gestured subtly towards his customer. Do you really want to drag this? It was apparent the man and his companion were quite significant. Or else Tamar would not have even seen them before he had served her. This much had already been picked up during her little time in Chir.

"Ayy, indeed, only a woman can negotiate like this. Your gender must have made a deal with god for the ability to empty a man's pockets. I will be paying on top of this, but since it is you, I will graciously do so this once."

What wording. She had her gaze wander to the giant again. He still stared at her. 

"Four Gold and a bag for the other clothes. Jamal!" 

Jamal bagged the clothes and handed her the long robe. She promptly threw it over her shoulders, drawing the hood into her face. She took the bag and paid her four Gold before leaving the store with a small bow towards the waiting customers. 

Outside the heat was unbearable again. Blue. Lately there was a lot of blue. 

2