25 – End of a long day
108 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

July stepped outside the covering, providing the necessary ventilation and shade. Tugging at the two chains at the hood of her robe, she drew it deeper into her face. Now, she almost vanished among the natives. Leaving behind the the city walls, she stepped into the sand, her boots sinking slightly into it. Grumbling, she walked out into the desert, following the dunes. When she was far enough from the walls, she opened the bag. Picking out the gloves, she admired them. 

Black leather. Soft and flexible, small iron plates on the knuckles—like scales layered and quite heavy—but not for her. She slipped inside, and they were a perfect fit. She punched forward and enjoyed the unhindered movement. The next thing she took out was the mask.
The mask had her gasping. It was a veil-like mask—with pattered chains woven together layered on top of the fabric. "This is a piece of craftsmanship, not clothes," she muttered. She put on the new mask. It was easier to breathe then underneath her old mask. The fabric was thin and light, as if there were no barriers. 

The chains didn't make any sound or chime as she moved. Balling her fists. Smiling, she got up. Her mind wandered to the blue man. Maybe she would see him again. Shaking away the thought, she let herself fall into the sand, staring up into the nothingness and endlessness of blue.

The exhaustion set in. Everything had to be done quickly. There were so many people and times when she needed to react the right way. It was easier with Gin; he didn't expect anything and took her pecularities as a part of her character, she thought he realized more then he let on. Control your skills or they control you he told her and she began to understand fully what he meant.
Her mother, her mother, simply accepted everything, so July felt the need to try harder. To attempt a smile with her, to be the girl she had once known, at least a little . It was kept her going.

Today would be her first meeting with Dr. Grey. It would be even more exhausting. Why all the people? On one side, she considered herself lucky to no longer be alone, and on the other, she just didn't know what to do with the People.

Sitting up, she opened a gate home and walked into her room.  At this point she had so gotten used to Wanderer she didn't need to always consciously indicate a position, not when it was one she often went to. A quick glance at the clock reminded her that she was due in an hour. Quickly, she took a shower— The sand really got everywhere—and then she changed into the rest of her new fancy clothing. 

It fit like a glove, and it was incredibly comfortable. Putting on her Veil mask and tying up her hair, she walked down the street at the same moment her mother shouted, "Janette! We have to go!" 

"Coming!" she shouted back and stopped in front of her mother. She looked up and down at her, a skeptical eyebrow raised. "Are you sure you want to go like this?" 

"I feel... comfortable like this." She told her. 

"Isn't the mask a bit much. I mean, it's pretty, but..." 

"I prefer the mask." She told her. It concealed her lack of expression when she didn't know the appropriate reaction to something, and it was very comfortable for her. 

"Alright. Then let's go. Do you want to grab some ice cream on the way home? Gianni's Gelato is open." Her mother walked ahead, and July followed her. Settling down in the car, her mother started it, and they drove towards the village. July's mother knew everyone, and everyone knew her. They greeted her with happy gestures and smiles. When the street lights switched to red, her mom lowered the window and started chatting with the woman beside her until it changed to green. 

Once they were outside, they switched to the motorway. Taking the third exit, July counted while her mother put on the radio, listening to the news and whatever song was 'in.' They entered the city, where her mother drove up to the hospital and then took her hand. "Let's go," she said, smiling brightly. 

July beneath her mask didn't change, but she gently pressed back and followed her mother. They walked to the psychology ward and checked in with the entrance Lady. They settled in the waiting room, and July followed the lines on the wall until their names were called. 

"Miss Walker and Mrs. Walker," The Nurse said, casting a curious look at July and her mask. July tilted her head, and the woman's smile faltered. She led them towards Dr. Grey's office, requesting that July sat down and asking her mother to stay outside. Her mother waved goodbye, and July settled do,wn, tilting her head greeting to Dr. Grey. 

"Janette." The woman greeted her. "It's wonderful to see you. How are you? I hope you have adjusted well back home." 

"I am well," she answered. "How are you?" 

"I am fine as well. How about you tell me a bit about what you did the last day?" She asked her, and July thought about it. She shouldn't tell Dr. Grey too much. She didn't want her secrets to be known. But then she didn't want to lie either. "That Mask. I must admit it is wonderful, and I can see Its excellent craftsmanship." 

"I was running and training. I finished a few official matters and read up on the news. Whatever happened while... I was in the darkness," she answered. "The mask...was a gift from a friend. It's comfortable, that's why I wear it." 

"That sounds eventful. Your friend must be a very good one. May I know why you find it so comfortable? Isn't it hot?" 

"It just is. It isn't hot. The fabric is special," she explained. "It is suited to much hotter temperatures." 

"Oh. I see. That I didn't know. You said you were running and training, but it seems weird to do after all this time..." 

The questioning continued. July answered honestly, leaving out whatever she didn't want Dr. Grey to know. The longer their conversation went on, the more exhausting it was. At some point, July tried to keep her voice as it was emotional. It was easy with her mother and Gin,, where she didn't bother, but the longer her conversation with Dr. Grey lasted, the more exhausting it grew. At some point, she almost faltered. That was when Dr Grey stopped. 

"I think time is over." She said. "I am very proud of you. You are, in an excellent way, actively trying to interact with people. Especially with your mother and your friend. Try to broaden your circle slowly. Bit by bit, there will be times when you fail, or things might be difficult, but that is perfectly normal. Everyone sometimes falters or falls. The important thing is you don't give up." 

"I will try." Her mind wandered to blue eyes again. "Maybe I will find another acquaintance. I find making new people easier than interacting with old ones." 

"That is normal as well. I also think it is a good thing you are actively seeking out people." Dr. Grey clapped her hands". That is a beautiful sign. Many people find it the most challenging step after long periods of solitude. You should definitely try to speak and spend time with the person you had in mind." 

Maybe she should really consider it. The blue one has been entering her mind often lately, they had crossed ways now twice as well. Too often to be a coincidence. 

"I will think about it. Goodbye, Mr. Grey." She answered and left with Dr. Grey's words. 

"July be carful, please, there are a lot of people interested in you."

"I will be." July answered the warning that surprised her slightly.

"See you soon, Janette." 

3