26 – Gelato
113 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

July was greeted by her mother once she left, the words of Dr. Grey lingering in her mind. She had wondered why no one had come ask around yet but that had sounded nothing if not ominious.
"Gelato?" Her mother asked her, unsure about her mood. Noticing she stiffer then usual. July thought about it. If she said she didn't want to, her mother would drive them home on the other side. Her Mom had been so excited to go there.

"Sure." Her mother's face lit up like the sun. 

"Wonderful. Let's go. I'll call and reserve a table. At this time of the day, that's the only way to get one." She almost skipped ahead. July followed her more slowly. They drove back towards the village in the car. Her mother excitedly called the Gelateria and reserved the table. 

They stopped at the last remaining parking spot on the village plaza. The plaza itself was buzzing with activity. "Lucky," her mother cried as they parked. "I didn't expect that." 

July mustered the many familiar faces. She didn't know their names, nor who they were, but certainly recognized too many. "Are you sure?" Her mother asked, "We can still go home." 

Chris Market streets were much more populated. There was no anonymity like in the desert City for her here, but now they were already here, and her mom was so happy. 

"No."

"Alright, should I go secure the table first?" 

"Let's go together," July said and opened the door. Her mother stormed out and chatted away, walking ahead and greeting everyone. They all greeted back, talking about silly things and everyday happenings. No one greeted July. Rather, they eyed her, some with suspicion, others with interest. The large majority, though, simply acted as if she wasn't there. 

Gianni showed them their table, and the menus were delivered. July read through them and couldn't decide. "Mom...which one do you think is best?" she asked, and her mother blinked. 

"Strawberry pot is an all-time favorite." She showed it on the menu." This one. It's Gianni's original. The other one I can recommend is Banana Split or Hot Love. It's vanilla with berries." Her mother explained. July thought about it. She couldn't really remember any of it. But the strawberry one, if her mother said it was good, "Then I take strawberry." 

"Okay." Her mother smiled and waved to the waiter. Seconds later, the young woman was there with a business smile. "Have you and your daughter decided, Mrs. Walker?"

"Sure, Elisa. We would like one strawberry pot and a banana split." 

"Sure." The young girl wrote it down, her eyes wandering to July. She didn't say anything, though; she simply went on her way. 

"Hey, freak." Someone said behind them, and July stilled. "How about you take that thing from your face." The thoughts she had about killing idiots, or at least more significant morons than herself, most creatively.

Her mother rose from her chair. A charring sound came from it, and silence fell upon the plaza. "If I were you, I'd hold my tongue," her mother hissed. July felt nothing at their words simply ignored them. Then she spotted her mother in front of her, red faced angry.

She put her hand on her mother's shoulder and shook her head. She tilted her head and stared. The boy. Or rather, the young man stilled. He turned quiet, staring back. So they stood there silently. July thought about lopping off his head. Maybe throw him into a gate and see what happened. She could also take a finger and drive it slowly through his head. Through his skullbone, feel it cracking. She didn't hide it. This time, her thoughts and offers let them filter through.

This cretin was not worth it. He kept staring but was sweating more and more. The chains reflected the light, and her expressionlessly she stared at him. "buh." She said the man stumbled back before running his entourage following him.

Her mind still wandered to cruel and bloody images. 

Slowly, the silence began to fill with chatter. The tension remained, though, prickling in the air. Elisa, the waitress, brought them their orders and grinned at July. "How did you do that. That was awesome." She giggled, and July looked at her as the smile faltered, and she left. Removing her mask, July put it next to her on the table and started eating, listening to her mother who told her about everything she had missed in the village, and behaving as if nothing happened. 

They paid and left. July put back her mask as she walked back to the car. The last words she heard were whispered. "Monster." from the ones surrounding her. She glanced at her mother, who hadn't didn't appear to have heared anything.

 

4