Arc 1 – Chapter 3: At the Edge of Death
6k 3 107
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Buuurp…

 

Sigh…

 

Man…that’s the life…

 

I was on my back enjoying being full from all the seafood I had. Next to me lay a large pile of boulders with odd shapes. But looking closer, the boulders were actually the shell remains of the rock crabs I ate.

 

Yup…rock crabs…that’s what I started to call them.

 

Some of them at the size of a small buggy started appearing, but since I had my trusty fireball breath, they were literally as good as cooked.

 

Which brings me to my current thought. I actually had a fireball breath. I mean, I knew I looked like a dragon, but I didn’t actually think I was one.

 

First of all, everything except my head, tail, scales, and claws were pretty much human.

 

I knew the old voice told me I’d be humanoid, but at most I thought I was something like a lizardman with a dragon-like semblance.

 

Then again, he did say he once ruled over all, so it’s possible I could be some higher species like a dragonman.

 

Still, the fireball’s pretty convenient. I could start a fire anytime I want as long as I have something to burn with my simple breath. I could even cook my food as long as I adjust the heat. And best of all, it’s a great weapon. I just need to tank attacks like the ones from the rock crabs with my tough scales, then end the fight with a blast of fire. Super convenient!

 

I also tried spewing the fire breath as long as I can to see how long it’d last, and apparently it’s reliant on my stamina. In other words, as long as I’m not tired, I can keep spewing fire. The act itself tires me out though, so it’s not like it’s all-powerful.

 

Hmm…looks like I should really stop being reckless with my new abilities. Who knows if I’m really the top creature around the cavern, which is highly unlikely, so I should really start finding a safe place to stay.

 

Once that’s out of the way, I’ll finally be able to think about my plans for the future, like how to get out of this place and what should I do once I actually start meeting people.

 

As I was thinking this, I grabbed one of those disgusting glowing mushrooms and used it like a torch since the further I went, the darker the cave seemed to get. I may have night vision, but it’s pointless if there’s no actual source of light. I confirmed this before I hatched from my egg, so it’s possible I might actually have something like enhanced vision instead of night vision.

 

Sometimes I wished there were gaming elements in this world where I could see the status of things, but at least this transfer-to-another-world template isn’t one of the bad ones like being summoned to be a slave. My thoughts only went to this direction at times because of the terrible experience I had with the mushroom.

 

Hmm?...

 

As I was walking along the path stretching from the western shore of the lake, I started to notice the area around me seemed different. In what way you might ask? Well as it so happens, I’m starting to see some unnatural objects like broken carved stone pillars on the ground, or walls that look like they were part of some building. In other words, I feel like I’m in some ruins.

 

I raised my guard as I traveled on these unexpected grounds, and I started to get chills as if an ice cube fell along my spine.

 

Normally, I’d panic at this point, but something in me kept a tight hold on my nerves. As if the idea of shaking in fear welled up a feeling of revulsion towards the thought. Instead, a feeling of disdain towards the being trying to cause me to be afraid was in my heart instead.

 

Hmph. How dare some lesser creature think it can shake my will.

 

…did I really just think that?...somehow, the old voice’s words echoed in my head again. Seems like my personality really is changing. Hopefully for the good.

 

…!?

 

Owing to my caution, I looked up and saw what was causing the cold feeling.

 

It was wispy and formless like fog or smoke, but had a contorted face looking as if it were in pain, sorrow, or rage. With two dark pool-like eyes that seem to suck out light along with it’s gaping maw.

 

It has many names…wraith…specter…spirit…but I simply called it…a ghost.

 

That’s right…it’s a fucking ghost!

 

Damn…I’m not afraid of anything if I know it bleeds or has a form I can strike at. But a formless ghost?

 

The ghost, probably knowing that I was helpless, twisted it’s face into an evil grin and charged at me!

 

Fast!

 

I was lost in thought as to what I should do and before I could react, the ghost was already in front of me. In a panic, I breathed my flames at it, but somehow my flames simply dispersed it like fire on smoke.

 

Laughing maniacally with a shrill voice, it resumed its charge. Out of desperation, I lashed at it with my claws despite knowing it would do nothing to a phantasmal being.

 

Again! I panicked again! Will I end up playing the same tragic end before I could even enjoy this new life all because of my pathetic nerves!?

 

I cursed inwardly at myself as I waited for the ghost to simply pass through my outstretched claws, and do what it will with my soul…or so I thought.

 

“AAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!”

 

…Eh?...

 

That terrible scream I just heard…as if a man’s jewels were crushed and ripped out from under him forcefully along with his innards…was the death wail of the specter.

 

I looked onto its fading form and see an injury as if it was ripped apart by a shredder.

 

…So…my claws hurt it?....what?...

 

My confusion is understandable…how can my claws harm a ghost, an entity without a physical body?

 

Hmm. I guess I’ll look onto this later.

 

I still wasn’t sure if my claws were really the cause of the damage. After all, it’s possible I may have inadvertently activated some dragon magic in my desperation, so if it’s something I can’t control, I may as well be asking to die if I encounter another ghost.

 

I decided to head back to the lake and rethink my path. After all, that area was safe for the few days I stayed there stuffing myself with rock crabs.

 

…That’s what I naively believed before I arrived at the lake.

 

I really don’t know why I didn’t think about it…the possibility of an entity far more frightening than anything living in this deep dark cavern. Never thinking as to why there have been no thriving life as I traveled along my path. The reason why the rock crabs could hide so well as if they were stones.

 

I was now looking at it...and I had but one thought when I stared at the terrifying creature with cold dead-like eyes.

 

…it was like staring at death.

107