Chapter 9
2.4k 17 100
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eve woke up feeling chilly. A cool breeze blew from the window the two of them had left open last night. She absently reached for her blanket, but couldn’t find it anywhere. Frustrated, she curled up tighter on the soft material she was laying on. Oddly enough, her whole bed felt like a pillow. It was nice. The morning sun shone in through the window, offering a small amount of light and warmth. 

Saturday mornings were nice, and it felt good to sleep in.

She yawned and rolled over, and her back muscles tugged as she laid on top of her wings uncomfortably. She wriggled and shuffled to get into a better position, and--

Wait, wings??

Her eyes popped open.

Her bedroom was gigantic. The ceiling was nearly a hundred feet away, the opposite wall nearly a football field. She laid on the enormous pillow of her bed, which in and of itself was the size of her whole backyard. Sybil’s shelf hung above her, nearly a tree’s length away. A fine white mist swirled and permeated throughout the whole room, ebbing and flowing with her breath.

Why was everything so huge? Or more accurately, why was she so small?

She sat up and immediately noticed her hands, and then subsequently her naked body. Her skin was bright lilac, head to toe, front and back, and she glowed faintly. Not only that but she was shaped like a girl now, with moderate breasts and lacking in certain parts down below. She was soft.

Unfamiliar muscles in her back twitched. She craned her head around, and sure enough, two large translucent wings flicked and slowly waved behind her.

“S-s-SYBIL!!” she screamed, then threw her hands to her throat when it only came out as a squeak.

Up above her, far, far away in the distance, Sybil’s head popped out from beyond the shelf. “Hmm?” she called back, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. She drearily looked down and they stared at each other for a solid moment, before Sybil’s eyes bugged out and her jaw dropped.

She jumped from the shelf and dropped like a stone, flapping her wings a couple times to break the fall, and landed, fluttering her pajamas. She was Eve’s height now, or well more like Eve was her height, and it was easier for Eve to see through the glare of her glow than before.

She stared at Eve for a very long moment, eyes scanning up and down her body, making Eve feel very self conscious. Her lilac cheeks blushed.

“Y-you’re . . . a pixie?” Sybil stammered.

Eve stared at her hands. “I’m a p-pixie . . .” she said, and ran them through her significantly longer hair, which was now blue.

Why am I a pixie??” Eve cried out, hugging her chest.

“Uhh . . .” Sybil looked at a loss.

Eve felt panic rising in her throat. God, everything was so big. Everything in her room loomed over her like grand titans. Her bedside dresser was a towering monolith of wood and brass. Her bedposts, straight circular sentinels the size of sequoia trunks. She saw her old clothes from last night haphazardly scattered across the bed, and her shirt might have well been a billboard for how big it was.

Even small things were huge now. Lying next to her on her pillow were long ropes of her own curly hair, longer than she was tall. Bits of dandruff were now big enough for her to easily pick up with her hand as if they were pebbles. And that damned mist, it was everywhere she looked!

Her breathing quickened and she shivered. Her pupils shrank and sickly waves of adrenaline pumped through her tiny body.

Noticing Eve’s reaction, Sybil knelt down and grabbed her hand. “Hey. Um, it’ll be okay, I’m pretty sure,” she said, sounding somewhat unsure herself. “Uh, why don’t we at least get you something to wear? You look to be about my size.”

Eve nodded, and stood up shakily. Her body felt different. Less . . . physical, somehow.

“Uh, how do I fly?” she asked, realizing that was the only way to get up to Sybil’s shelf.

“Shit, I never actually thought about that,” Sybil remarked. She brought a hand to her chin. “It’s kinda just like, your wings already know what to do, so you just gotta work on keeping balance. Try just flapping them?”

Eve tried to focus on the muscles that controlled her wings. They were certainly foreign, to say the least. It felt like an extra pair of limbs was attached to her, right about where her shoulder blades ended. They didn’t feel wrong, per se, and in this form they felt like they belonged, but still she couldn’t help feel disconcerted about it.

She tried flexing the muscles in that area. Her wings buzzed rapidly on their own, and she abruptly lifted into the air a couple inches.

“Whoa!” she exclaimed, and dropped to the pillow again.

“That’s it!” Sybil said. “Now you just concentrate on flapping, and I’ll help you with balancing for now, kay?”

Eve nodded again, and with Sybil supporting her by the shoulder, they took off from the pillow. Up they flew, dozens and dozens of inches, until Sybil’s shelf, with her bed, dresser, and personal items, came into view.

Eve looked down and nearly fell out of the air.

Sybil squeezed her arm. “Don’t look down," she reassured, "at least not until you get used to it. And remember that you’re immune to physical damage now, so falling won’t hurt you.”

They landed on the edge of the shelf, much to Eve’s relief.

“Wasn’t so bad, was it?” Sybil said. “Now let’s see what we can find here.” She hustled over to her dresser and began digging through it. “Here’s some panties”--she tossed a pair in Eve’s direction--“and I think your boobs are small enough that we can get away without wearing a bra. Lucky you.” She looked back and winked.

Eve didn’t think that felt very lucky, and was honestly somewhat disappointed. She stooped down and picked up the pair of panties, looking them over. They were white, with dark blue stripes, and made of very soft cotton. She was embarrassed to admit it, but she actually felt excited to wear women’s panties for the first time. She quickly put them on, blushing furiously.

“Sorry, pretty much all I’ve got is t-shirts and jeans,” Sybil called out, pulling out a pair, eyeing them over. “Can’t believe this is all I ever used to wear, what was I thinking?” She tossed them over to Eve, who started pulling them on, noting that the shirts had specific holes for her wings. “Hey but we’ll fix that pretty soon, eh? Pick up some new clothes?” Sybil smiled warmly at Eve.

Now wearing clothes, Eve took a long look at herself in the miniature mirror sitting near Sybil’s bed. A young woman stood before her. A pixie woman, with long royal blue hair that hung to mid-back, glowing lilac skin, and large iridescent wings, but still a woman nevertheless.

She had many facial features similar to Everett, such as a long nose, wide mouth, and flatter eyebrows, but tempered and arranged in a more feminine way. She looked astonishingly similar to her sister Julianne, actually. Her body wasn’t anything that would turn heads, but it was still undeniably womanly, and Sybil’s clothes, plain as they were, served to accentuate her natural curves.

Now that the initial shock had passed, Eve felt herself feeling increasingly elated at seeing herself like this. Sure it was weird and she was still rather freaked out over . . . well, everything, but at the very least, she finally, finally looked like a girl. She thought she had been prepared to be a girl someday, she thought she knew what it would be like. Yet just seeing herself finally as a woman, it was so much more than she could take. Perhaps it was due to the high emotions of the past week, or the sudden stress of waking up as a pixie, but hot bubbly tears ran down Eve's cheeks as she stared at the woman before her.

“You know,” Sybil said, throwing on a shirt of her own, “I’ll be honest, you’re super cute as a pixie.”

Bright red flushed over Eve’s face. “Really?” she asked with a sniff.

Really.”

“Heheh . . . thanks,” Eve said, rubbing the wetness from her eyes.

“Hmm why’d you change into one though?” Sybil jumped onto her bed, sitting cross-legged. “I didn’t even know that was possible.” 

“You think Meredith and Joanna would know? Maybe . . . they could even change me back somehow.” Eve said. However, she wasn’t so sure she wanted to go back if it meant turning back into a boy.

“Wanna go over there right now? We got nothing else going on,” Eve asked.

“You sure? Could have sworn we had something going on today.”

“I didn’t think so--OH SHIT.”

 

Knock knock knock!

“Happy Birthday, Everett and Sybil!” Sarah said cheerfully, opening the door. “I made buttermilk pancakes for breakfast! Hope you’re excited for your birthday party!”

The room was empty.

Sarah put her hands on her hips. “I swear, just when I go looking for those kids, they’re always nowhere to be seen!” she huffed, then left the room.

 

Eve and Sybil stood plastered to the wall, standing on the roof, just outside their bedroom window. They had just barely escaped in the nick of time.

“Um, happy birthday, Sybs,” Eve muttered. “Fuck.”

“You too,” Sybil said, tossing Eve a nervous look. “Hey, I know you probably wanted to wait until you were more ready, but we really should tell mom about this. You know, given . . . uh, everything.”

Eve sighed. “Yeah I know, it’s just . . . well . . . let’s talk to Meredith first. I wanna find out why this happened.”

She took off from the rooftop, flying very wobbly. Sybil caught up to her and grabbed her hand, steadying her. They flew silently for a long while, passing over trees, houses, and roadways. Eve became more and more comfortable with balancing herself, and eventually was even able to fly without Sybil’s help, albeit rather shakily.

Now that she was getting used to it, flying actually felt wonderful. Being so high up, feeling the breeze on her skin, having no one to bump into; it was intoxicating. Below, the world went about it’s morning business, completely oblivious to the two pixies above. It was rather nice to see the world from such a detached view. On top of that, the white mist was thicker outside than in her room, and with the combination of the morning sun shining through it, the whole world was a hazy, swirly, fuzzy blend of colors and shapes.

“By the way, what’s all this mist about anyways?” Eve piped up. And why did it look familiar?

“Huh? Oh it’s the magic in the air. My teacher called it the Magisphere or something. It’s basically what we pixies get energy from. Can’t you taste it?”

Sure enough, with every inhale, a puff of surrounding mist was pulled in and Eve noticed a slightly sugary taste in her mouth, almost like honey.

“So humans really can’t see it, can you?” Sybil asked. “The mist, I mean.”

“Nope. And now that I can, it’s actually kinda freaking me out. It makes everything look surreal and weird, almost like a horror game.”

“Nothing to be scared of, it’s just food. Think of it like living in a milkshake or something.”

Eve breathed in a few more times, tasting the mist again. It was weird, but not unnatural.

She put an arm around Sybil, once again thankful that she didn’t have to face this alone, and they flew towards Meredith’s business.

 

~~~

 

The muffled ding of the bell at the front counter rang in Meredith’s ears through the curtains. With joints popping and back creaking, she stood up from her chair. Joanna popped out of her hutch, flapping over and landing on Meredith’s shoulder, and the two walked through the long hallway. Two more times the bell dinged before they made it to the front desk, and Meredith lamented that they had to deal with such an impatient customer this early in the morning.

“Yes, may I help you?” Meredith said almost compulsory, as she pulled back the curtain.

Standing on the counter, both poised over the bell, were two pixies, oddly enough. She had never seen the first one, a bright lilac colored pixie, but the other aquamarine one looked vaguely familiar.

“Sybil!” Joanna exclaimed, hopping down and rushing up to the aqua pixie. “I was so worried about you! How are you feeling?” the doctor asked, inspecting her with a practiced frenzy. “You look much better since I last saw you! Very bright today! It looks like you resolved things with your human, yes? Where is he, by the way? And who’s this young lady?”

Sybil gulped. “Heh, well see, that’s kinda what we’re here about . . .”

The lilac pixie stepped forward, clutching her arms together, looking apprehensive. “Umm, hi,” she said softly. “It’s me, I am--or well, I used to be Everett.”

Both Joanna’s and Meredith’s jaws dropped.

 

~~~

 

“So you think this happened because of the shock I gave Eve when we first woke up?”

“I’m not entirely sure, but I think it’s plausible,” Joanna called out.

Eve sat on the edge of the table in Meredith’s lounge, her legs dangling over the side, listening somewhat absently. Sybil sat near her, cross legged, facing towards Joanna’s hutch, of which Joanna was busy making tea. Meredith sat in her chair, legs crossed, hand to her chin, a small frown on her face, looking deep in thought. Joanna exited the hutch carrying two pixie-sized cups of tea.

“Concentrated wild magic, in its rawest form, is terribly unpredictable,” she said, handing the teacups to the other two pixies. “My guess is that after having been starved for so long, upon finally having that connection restored--congratulations, by the way--Sybil accidentally sucked in an overwhelming amount of magic from the surrounding air. Judging from your description, probably around several hundred kilothaums.

“Raw magic does wild and incalculable things in such quantities, and the effect could have been anything from receiving only a terrible headache, to turning into a spruce tree for an afternoon.” Joanna adjusted her overly large glasses. “Although Eve turning into a pixie seems oddly significant, given the specific situation that you two were in. I wonder . . .”

She turned to Eve. “Tell me, do you remember exactly what you were thinking or feeling during the moment Sybil touched you?”

Eve thought for a second. “I dunno, mostly I was thinking that she was really bright at that moment." She paused. "But I think, also, deep down, I was feeling hope and desire to be changed into a girl someday.”

“And how about you Sybil?”

“I was just really happy that I was bonded to a girl,” Sybil said, resting her chin in her hand. “I was thinking about all of the possibilities together and the things we could do as girls.”

“Were you imagining Eve as a human girl or a pixie girl?”

Sybil froze. “I don’t think I was imagining her exactly as a pixie, but she was definitely the same size as me in those fantasies . . .”

Joanna crossed her arms. “Well then I think we have a plausible explanation. Both of you were deeply hoping for a specific outcome--or well at least, outcomes that weren’t too different from each other. Like lightning shooting between two close points of metal, all of the raw magical power you had in you suddenly had a conduit to travel along.” She clapped her hands together. “ And boom. Pixie.”

“Geez. Eve, wow I’m so, so sorry,” Sybil said.

“It wasn’t your fault, really,” Eve said, “just a series of bad luck.”

There had to be more to it though, right? Eve knew she was missing something.

“Is there anything we can do to change her back?” Sybil asked the room.

Meredith, who had been mostly silent until now, spoke up.

“It is theoretically possible,” she said, “but so difficult that I cannot recommend it unless you are absolutely desperate. The problem is that Eve has shed off her physical body and it has all but dissipated into the Magisphere. All of that biological matter cannot simply be put back again so easily. In order to become human again using conventional magic, I can think of two options. Either Eve’s soul must be transferred into an already existing donor human body--a procedure which is extremely difficult, expensive, and generally reserved for when no other options are available. That, or revert back into a fetus and be forced to grow up again, slowly putting that matter back by way of natural growth. You’d have to start life from scratch.”

“What about doing the same thing that turned her into a pixie?” Sybil asked. “Just charge up a ton of magic and both think really hard about turning her human when we make contact?”

“Please don’t!” Joanna blurted out, before composing herself. “Ahem. What I mean is, do you remember how I said it was like lightning? You can’t aim it in a certain direction, you can only hope that it strikes the right spot. And the consequences for missing the mark can be truly awful. I avoided describing specifically what happens in wild magic scenarios earlier because I didn't want to scare you kids, but some really horrifying things can happen if the stars aren’t in absolutely perfect alignment. Organs get turned inside out, your cells can get ripped to shreds, or even your body can be disassembled, jumbled around, and put back together again. Honestly it’s a miracle that Eve is in such good condition as she is. I once had to treat a poor boy who’s humerus was impaled through his lung and his intestines wrapped around his leg, not to mention--”

Yes, thank you Joanna,” Meredith interrupted. “The point is that wild magic can be extremely dangerous; that is why so much schooling is given to pixies to practice self-control and monitor their magic output.”

Seeing the look of horror and shame spreading across Sybil’s face, Joanna knelt down and put an arm around her. “Oh no no sweetheart,” she said, “you don’t need to feel ashamed, it was a perfectly reasonable reaction to your situation. You’re still new to magic, it’s completely understandable that something like this could happen.”

After a moment, Meredith spoke up again. “Understanding the inherent dangers of wild magic usage, I also must make it clear that even if you were to use it to attempt to turn Eve human, for it to work your wishes would need to be absolutely genuinely sincere. If even a tiny part of you wanted something else, then it would very likely backfire. I must ask you, Eve, do you really wish with all of your heart to return back to the way you used to be? And Sybil, do you really wish that Eve would stop being a pixie and turn human again?”

The room went silent.

Did Eve really want that? Did she want to go back? Being turned into a pixie was inconvenient at best, completely life-changing at worst. She had no idea what her future would be like now, but well, it wasn’t like she had really had a vision for her future before either. To be honest, she hadn’t even planned on being alive after high school. But now, she had hope, and she would be lying if she weren’t at least a little bit excited to experience life as a pixie. Not to mention that, but in this form, she was a girl, inside and out, through and through. To have a girl’s body, even if it was tiny and purple, was honestly her wildest dream come true.

“Eve,” Sybil spoke up quietly, shaking away Eve’s thoughts, “I have something terrible to admit.”

Sybil hugged herself and stared intently at the ground. “When I first saw you had turned into a pixie, deep inside I was . . . happy. I didn’t want to show it because you were so scared at the time, but I was actually really excited that you were one of us. I wanted to show you everything about being a pixie, how to fly and navigate this giant world, and I wanted to spend time with you at the same scale, trying on new clothes and playing together. And”--she swallowed dryly--“I really wanted to hug you again like we did back in the mindscape.”

She looked back up at Eve. “I’m so, so sorry I put you in this situation, and it’s my fault you’re like this, but I think trying to turn you back would fail because of me. I’m sorry, I just couldn’t be genuine enough.”

Eve pulled Sybil into an affectionate hug, wrapping arms around each other, pressing magical skin together, heads resting on each other’s shoulders. It was an encompassing, surrounding, intimate hug, a hug that simply was not possible between the two before.

“It’s okay,” Eve said softly, nuzzling against Sybil’s white hair, “I don’t think I could sincerely want to go back either. I was scared for sure, still am, and a part of me is worried that I'm invading your space somehow by being a pixie, but when you gave me clothes to wear and held my hand like that, everything felt so right.”

She squeezed Sybil harder. “I love you, and I’d love to spend life with you as a pixie.”

They pulled apart and Sybil had tears running down her face.

“Hey, don’t you start crying or else I’m going to,” Eve said, feeling her own eyes water. Sybil convulsed as a very wet laugh escaped her lungs. They pulled each other into another long embrace, sobbing and laughing together.

After a long time they separated. Joanna was standing next to them, holding a pack of miniature tissues and wearing a buoyant smile. Meredith sat back, smiling gently.

“I think that’s the first time you two have experienced any actual therapy in all the time you’ve been here,” Joanna mirthfully remarked.

“So what will you do now?” Meredith asked.

“I dunno,” Eve said, dabbing her eyes with a tissue, “maybe we’ll go and--oh hell! What time is it??”

“Nearly twelve,” Meredith said, looking at the clock. “Why?”

“Oh shit we are soo fucked!” Eve blurted out. She launched into the air and must have put too much power into it, because she rocketed into the ceiling and stunned herself.

“Why? What’s going on?” Meredith called out, alarmed.

“It’s our birthdays today!” Sybil exclaimed, lifting off and catching a slowly falling Eve, “The party is in a couple hours, and our mom still doesn’t know anything!

Meredith stood up.

“Well then, I think it’s time we paid a visit to your family then, shall we?”

100