Chapter 30 – The Eve of Battle
917 4 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                I thought tonight would never end!  I thought to myself, as I slipped into my quarters in the barracks. 

 

                *You did well.*

 

                “Thanks Siri.  What was your favourite part?”

 

                *When you spilled mead in Odin’s lap and tried to wipe it up, or maybe when you slapped Thor, I think.*  She chuckled.  *You did good.*

 

                “I’m glad.  I just want to go to bed.”

 

                *I guess you’re freaked out by tonight a bit – especially the part with Balder and Loki.*

 

                “Yeah.”  I sighed.  “I mean, I could tell it was shifting that way – but being hit with it like a freight train really surprised me.  It also made me feel really, really uncomfortable.  It’s like my body wants one thing – and my brain thinks it wants something else – or at least not what the body wants.  I’m a psychological mess, and I’m probably going to have to really work on that, sometime soon.”

 

                *And you’re still rather uncomfortable with our body too.  I’m sorry this is so difficult, Sannyr.*

 

                It’s okay, Siri.  I’ll get used to it in time – my visions showed me that much.  It’s just the here and now that’s tough.  Besides, I saved my dad, and get to be a badass super-heroic warrior angel.   I got to see heaven, and I got to meet and hang out with my freaking gods!  This has been an adventure, a religious epiphany and a defining moment of my life.  I’ve even become one with my gods... I’m an Asynjur, even if I am the youngest and most junior.  I can’t even put into words what I’ve been feeling the last few days except this experience has been the greatest moment of my life.  I can deal with the dysphoria if I have to.

 

                I couldn’t see it, but it felt like Siri smiled.

 

                *I’m glad you can see the positives in all this.*  She said, quietly.

 

                “Oh, totally.  But it did throw my life – and my concept of my identity – into chaos.  I’ll sort my problems out in time, and I’ll survive.  I’m not saying there won’t be ups and downs about it – but I think I’ll be okay in the end.”

 

                *You’re very mature for your age, Sannyr.*

 

                “You grow up fast when you have to become a caregiver for a dying parent, I guess.  I can’t wait to show dad all the pictures I’ve taken – or the pictures of Odin giving me a copy of Draupnir!  He’ll freak out!  In a good way, I mean!”

 

                *He probably will at that.*  Siri laughed.  *You’re so sunny in the face of everything you know crumbling and being rebuilt.  I like that about you, Sannyr.*

 

                “Hey, I’m not sunny all the time.  I have bad days too.”  I said, sighing.  “And today’s been a long one – and tomorrow will be too.  Time for bed.”

 

                Siri agreed, and we got ready for bed.  As I lay in my bed in Asgard, I looked out the window at unfamiliar stars, and smiled.  I saw heaven, and it welcomed me, I thought.  This is my home, if I want it to be.  I smiled contentedly, and rolled over, and drifted off to sleep.

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                The next day, The Twelve (which now included myself) were summoned to a war meeting with the Aesir.  Odin, Thor, Tyr, Heimdall, Loki, and Freya were present, as well as myself and my other sisters in the Twelve.  A notable absence was Brunhilde, and I tried to not dwell on her final moments or our last battle. 

 

                The topic we were discussing was the proposed battle for the Krell homeworld – to exterminate the Krell.  To be honest, I was floundering, and wondering what the big deal was with mobilizing the Lords and Ladies now – I mean, why not do it at the start of the war, smite them, and be done with it – and save yourself five years of war and countless lives lost? 

 

                “My Lords, My Lady.”  I said, taking the floor.  “Why is it of such import that you and your brethren and sistren are mobilizing now, and not at the beginning of the war?  Is it the advent of the Krell’s new weapon?  I’m afraid I don’t understand fully why now, and Siri has not yet had time to inform me of why, if she even knows.  Could someone explain it for me?  Please?”

 

                The table went quiet, and Freya stood, smiling.  “I understand your confusion, Sannyr.  You’ve handled yourself so well, its sometimes easy to overlook the fact you’ve only been a Valkyrie for a week or so.  I’ll do my best to explain.  As you know, we – the Aesir are not myths – and neither are many of your other Midgarder gods.  We know of many – the Bogovoi, the Dodekatheon, the Tuatha, and the Enoch.  There are many others as well – ones we did not encounter until later in your history.  Many of the beings your people worship or used to worship are beings like us – but different in appearance and physiology, and in demeanor and attitude.  Eternal, and powerful.”

 

                “Some of these beings were allies and friends – and others we warred against or considered enemies.  Time passed – and many of the races and families decided it was time to bury our differences, and so we forged a peace – between all the elder races.  We withdrew from Midgard, and returned to our ancestral homes – and now only dabble in mortal affairs, rather than take an active part.  For the last two thousand years or so the peace has held.”

 

                Freya continued.  “We did not show our true power at the advent of the Krell war because it might have been seen as a provocation to the other races and families.  We might have been seen as instigating a new war.  This, as you can understand, was not our intention – so we withheld our true power and fought through our agents – the Einherjar and Valkyries.  What changed was the invention of both the Krell weapon, and their discovery of how to reprogram our symbiotes.”

 

                “Imagine you are an immortal being, whose body is a convenience, but not integral to your concept of self – and a race of upstart children discover a technique that can not only change who you are against your will – but erase you from existence and make you a slave.  Their reprogramming technique threatens our people at the core of our being – at the core of who we are.  This technology cannot be allowed to exist – it is antithetical to our entire being.  The other races will understand this – and will allow us to defend ourselves.”

 

                “So it’s not the weapon that’s the threat to Asgard, but rather the reprogramming?”  I asked.

 

                “Yes, exactly.”  Freya replied.  “The weapon is dangerous – but the reprogramming is an abomination.  It must be utterly eradicated.  The other races know that if such a technology came into existence that threatened them equally, they would act the same.  You will find in time, Sannyr, that when you possess immortality, it matters a great deal to oneself to retain it.  I do not wish to be any creatures’ slave, and I do not want my identity to die in some creature’s laboratory.  I am myself, and I wish to remain that way.  That is how we all feel,” She said, motioning to the other gods.  “Our sense of self and our legacy is all we truly possess. They have shown they can take that away from us – and we cannot allow that to be.”

 

                I nodded, finally understanding.  This technology threatened the foundations of their entire society.  “Thank you, Lady Freya.  I think I understand now.”  I did understand... The Aesir were going to wipe the Krell out... completely.  It would only end with the Krell’s utter annihilation.  After seeing what they did to some of the Einherjar, and remembering what they did to Siri and to Brunhilde, and my own experiences with the Krell, I was surprised to find I was okay with that.   More than okay.  I wondered what that said about me as a person?

 

                Freya nodded, and sat down.

 

                From there we continued discussing the battle plans – who would be where, and who’s duty it was to secure which flank, and so forth.  To be honest, I’d never planned a planetary invasion before, but it was actually fascinating.  Hours passed as the Twelve – including myself, with Siri’s aid – advised the Aesir Lords and Ladies on what could be done – and what must be done.  I saw dozens of intelligence briefs, and we saw their defences laid out before us – courtesy of Loki and Heimdall’s intelligence network.  Most of the Twelve had been in their position long enough to know what the Lords and Ladies were capable of – and I knew from first-hand experience.  The outcome of the battle was never in question, from the very beginning.  Defeating the Krell would be like stomping on some ants.  We might take some injuries, or even lose a few unlucky Valkyries – but the Krell were doomed.

 

                It was if they had awoken a sleeping tiger – or a dragon - and had no knowledge of its awakening.

 

                From the demeanor of the Lords and Ladies, it was obvious that they were reluctant to do this – to take this level of action...  But the Krell had seemingly given them no choice, and so they were reluctantly doing what they felt must be done.  To be honest, I was glad they were reluctant.  If they had been eager, to say I would have been dismayed would have been an understatement.

 

                Eventually, after a very long day of planning, the plans for the attack were finalized, and the Twelve – myself included – were dismissed to ready our troops.  Gunnr, Geirr, and Hlaðguðr would take the eastern hemisphere, and Hlaða, Skögul and Reginleif would take the western hemisphere – while I would be with the Aesir, leading the charge of the Valkyries to war.  The rest – Sanngriðr, Hilda, Ölrún, Hervör, and Hlökk would remain behind to protect Asgard itself. 

 

                I was being given the honor of leading the charge.  It was humbling, and another great moment for Siri – and myself, too.  I didn’t know if it was because I had served well, or because I was secretly an Asynjur, but I didn’t care.  Tomorrow, the legions of Asgard would be unleashed, and at my command… The choosers of the slain would be bringers of death, and it awed and humbled me. 

 

                Siri and I returned to the armory, and gathered some new weapons – replacing our spear, for one thing – and picking up a few goodies that we had overlooked the last time.  We decided to keep Draugrfing, Siri’s old sword, with us – as a reminder of old times, and to make new legends with an ancient blade.  It seemed appropriate.

 

                That night, when I was finally able to get to bed, my dreams were troubled, and I didn’t sleep well.

 

 

 

38