Chapter 16. Cinderielle.
1.2k 18 77
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A woman with fiery red hair and beautiful orange-colored eyes was seen walking down the street. She was wearing a beautiful red dress, and her steps were light and cheery. 

She was currently walking toward the school, and today was the initiation day. Usually, Sylvans and Humans waited until they were 18 to gain their first points of Experience and become Level 1. 

This ceremony was meaningful because one would know if they were apt to become someone important. 

Fortuna City, where the 18-year-old lived, had many prestigious schools. However, to enter the top-notch ones, one needed to be talented. Moreover, more often than not, Sylvans and Humans were separated. 

Only public schools allowed for mixes to happen. But Sylvans attending that kind of place was strange because of the innate nobility of their race. 

While Sylvans weren't as numerous as humans, they were innately stronger and had longer life spans.

The only limitation of their race was their predetermined paths to build themselves up. Each Sylvan was blessed and born with a unique talent. Of course, that didn't mean that they were locked in that path. However, success was almost always guaranteed if they did. 

In the case of the red-haired woman, she knew that her talent would be something related to fire. 

After all, while she still hasn't become a Level 1, she knew the name of her race. She was a Pyroaether Emberites, a very rare type of Sylvan that specialized in fire control.

The woman passed over a stall at the side and saw herself reflected in a transparent surface. 

She had grown a lot since she was little. Now, she was tall, slender, and with a mature face. Even at 18, with traces of her young visage left, it was clear that she would become a striking woman once she reached her mid-twenties. 

During these 18 years, she had learned a lot about her own race and the humans. While both races grew up and matured similarly, Sylvans were connected to trees by ancestry. Hence, their middle stages of life were longer thanks to some extra genes coming from those trees.

What was difficult for Sylvans was to have humanoid children. There was a way to sow seeds and make them grow into trees but to create Sylvan offspring, a Sylvan needed one of the two. 

First, a human male that was compatible with them. This was not only extremely difficult to find, but also the chances of a Sylvan being born from sexual intercourse were slim and unreliable. 

That's why most Sylvans didn't see humans as potential partners. Plus, as a Sylvan, having intercourse with humans was scientifically proven not to be that pleasant. 

Her own family made of a human and a Sylvan was rare.

So, if not humans, which were Sylvans' options for mating and creating Sylvan offspring? 

Plant creatures or other Sylvans. 

While all Sylvans were female, very few were born with an organ to impregnate. It was so rare that only 1 in 100,000 was born this way. 

With such a low birth rate for those, Sylvan's last option was flora.

Sylvan's pregnancy worked by fertilizing the seeds in their wombs with a plant's pollen or a compatible sperm. Depending on the species, there were cases of Sylvan planting their seeds in a tree or a flower and allowing them to grow.

However, not all plant beings were appropriate to mate with. 

For example, wild trees without thoughts, regular flowers, bushes, etc., are like monkeys are to humans. They might be somewhat similar to humans, but seeing them as sexually attractive was not only frowned upon but also strange. The same happened to Sylvans looking at flora.

Still, thanks to the ability to grow granted by the System, many plants could gain consciousness equal to humans. Sylvans cared for them, and if both sides agreed, they would develop into a partner situation.

Those creatures could be trees, human-sized flowers, or even another kind of flora. They were candidates as long as they had crossed the threshold of being an intelligent species and not a monster-like one.

Plus, a Sylvan's love was different from a Human's in that it was prevalent. Once Sylvan chose a partner, it was very difficult for them to lose affection toward that partner. 

Now, how could you tell where this line was? Well, it was similar to humans seeing other humans and knowing by instinct which people were worthy and which were not. In short, instinct. 

But regardless of the world's customs and culture, the red-haired woman has never felt attracted to anyone or any plant in her life.

She was beautiful, and above all, she was the rare type of Sylvan with both sexual genitals, making her prime relationship partner. However, she had turned down all courtship and focused on bettering herself. 

For Sylvans, humans, and similar humanoid races, the state of the body was important in the sense that it brought more base improvement.

The red-haired woman continued walking down the street and arrived at the place she had probably visited the most throughout her life. 

It was a street with typical street stalls and low ceilings, allowing people to raise their gaze a bit to spot the massive World Tree that towered over everything, covering half the city with its canopy.

"So many years have passed since that day…" She sighed and lightly tapped her cheeks. Cinderielle, wake up. Now is not the time to go search; you are too weak."

After saying that, Cinderielle, the red-haired Sylvan woman, picked up her pace and walked through the city to reach the place to do the initiation.

It was not very complicated because, as a Level 0, they only needed 10 Experience points to level up. 

After arriving at the large plaza, she could spot her parents waiting for her. Her mother called her. "Cinder! We are here!"

Cinderielle moved toward them with a smile. "I'm coming, Mom!" 

Her mother saw a few loose strands of hair from the wind blowing and sighed. "Where did you go, child? I thought you wouldn't arrive in time!"

Cinderielle chuckled mischievously. "Mom, I'm also eager. How could I not arrive in time?"

Cinderielle then looked around at the crowded place and saw a middle-aged woman with a dignified appearance stepping forward. The flowers on her pure black hair with white natural accents revealed her nature as a Sylvan.

While humans and Sylvans looked similar physically, in official situations, Sylvans wore flowers in their hair, while human women wore beautiful wooden accessories. 

Moreover, while a human's hair color ranged between blonde color and back colors, Sylvans didn't stop there. As soon as you looked around, you could find Sylvans with all types of hair colors, most of the time related to their heritage.

The black-haired woman started her speech with a flat tone, her sharp eyes looking indifferent.

"First of all, let me thank all people who have come to see this sacred ritual. With the help of the [Growth Fruit], our children will now step into the holy path of the system. While innate differences exist, I ask all children and parents present not to be judgmental. Innate qualities are important, but what matters is how we live and how we advance. The headmaster of our school was someone with low talent, and yet he has managed to become someone of a high stature. I hope that following him as an example can soothe your heart if you are someone without an excellent aptitude."

Her speech was short and concise, and her voice sounded neutral.

For a Sylvan to show signs of maturity like the black-haired woman had meant that they had lived for a very long time. Cinderielle thought with a laugh. 'She has probably done this so often that she goes completely by instinct now.' 

The speech continued for a while, promulgating the customs and also praising the World Tree in the middle of the city for such valuable fruits.

After a while, the ceremony truly started. 

"Aackasoc Riverdoor, step forward."

With the call of the black-haired Sylvan, a human man stepped forward. He was, like everyone participating today, 18 years old. With a lean body and a nervous appearance, the boy-just-turned-man walked forward stiffly. 

A rough voice was heard from the back. "You stupid son, what are you so embarrassed about? Stick your chest out!"

Although rough, one could tell it carried unmistakable good intentions. 

Of course, this provoked a few laughs, which made the fair-skinned man blush. The black-haired woman didn't stop it.

It wasn't unusual for the family to give a few words of encouragement. Moreover, while this ritual was formal, it was a ritual made to step into adulthood, not some religious and sacred ritual where no interruptions were allowed.

As long as people didn't go overboard, it was fine.

Aackasoc arrived in front of the black-haired Sylvan and bent forward while extending his arms and cupping his hands in a gesture to receive. "I-I, Aackasoc, declare that today, I have become an adult!" 

The woman nodded flatly. "Good, Aackasoc, take the fruit and eat it." 

Aackasoc took it and straightened his back, saying one more sentence before doing so. "I thank our protector, the World Tree of Fate City, for this gift!" 

The middle-aged woman nodded, and Aackasoc took the fruit. It was half the size of a palm, making it easier to eat it in one bite.

After eating, he masticated the sweet fruit and eventually swallowed it.

[You've eaten <Fortuna Fruit>, your destiny is increased by 50 for one year, and you gain 10 Experience Points. You can only eat one <Fortuna Fruit> in your life]

After that, he poured his 10 Experience Points into his level.

[Level Up!]

[Aether +1, Physique +2, Anima +1, Willpower +3, Destiny +2.]

A small rush of energy was released from his body, and then, it finished. Aackasoc blinked and looked at the black-haired woman.

The woman asked. "How many stats did you gain? Remember, if you lie and you are later discovered, you'll be punished with life imprisonment."

Aackasoc obediently told her, and the black-haired woman nodded flatly and assessed him. "Aether: F- Rank. Physique: F Rank. Anima: F- Rank. Willpower: F+ Rank. Destiny: F Rank. Overall score, F Rank. Next, Aavorila Furfest." 

Aackasoc blinked a few times, dazed, but he didn't dare stay there, so he quickly returned to his parent's side. His father slapped his back, forcing him to stumble a few steps. "Didn't you hear Lady Eila Neoflora say? Stats are not everything." 

Aackasoc looked at him and nodded. "Sorry, Dad." 

The rugged middle-aged man smirked. "Let's go home, Son. We need to see which schools will accept a loser F Rank like you. HAHAHAHA."

Aackasoc almost tripped as he left. 

Cinderielle looked at that situation from a distance with a thoughtful look. Her mother grabbed her hand. "Don't worry, Cinder. We also won't mind what rank you are." 

Cinderielle smiled and squeezed her hand back. 

After a while, she was finally called. "Next, Cinderielle Emberites." 

Cinderielle walked out, and when she stepped outward, nobody noticed, but Eila's eyes flashed with surprise. However, she was quick to hide it, acting as indifferent as she did with the rest. 

Cinderielle bent forward, extending her arms, and said with a firm voice. "I, Cinderielle, declare that today, I have become an adult." 

Eila nodded. "Good, Cinderielle, take the fruit and eat it." 

Cinderielle took it and straightened her back, curiously observing the white fruit. However, she didn't take any more time to observe than the one she used to retrieve her arms. Then, she said solemnly. "I thank our protector, the World Tree of Fate City, for this gift." 

Then, she ate it and used the 10 Experience points to Level up.

The person with the best score until now was someone with an overall E- Rank. Moreover, they barely reached it, so the effects of the Level-ups weren't that noticeable. 

However, Cinderielle was different.

The air around her began swirling as strands of flames appeared around her. Pure energy rushed at her and was absorbed in her body, and then, she leveled up.

[Level Up!]

[Aether +6, Physique +3, Anima +4, Willpower +5, Destiny +12.]

[Title unlocked!... Error: Title conditions have not been met yet, moving it to <Hidden Titles>.]

[Innate Affinities Unlocked]

[Hidden Attribute: Aether Flame Affinity, enhanced!]

[Two New Talents Acquired!] 

[One New Passive Skill Acquired!]

Eila's eyes flashed as she looked at her system. With the difference in levels between them, inspecting Cinderielle shouldn't be a problem.

However, unlike what she expected, she just saw the essential information.

***

Name: Cinderielle

Level: 1 [0/140]

Aether Mana Shards: 96/96

Phoer Body Shards: 46/46

Anima Energy Shards: 58/58

***

'I can't see through?' Eila Neoflora's facade was almost broken as she barely held herself from showing surprise. 'With my level, I'm still unable to see further. Interesting.'

The black-haired woman closely observed Cinderielle. 'However, for those basic stats...'

Eila had seen plenty of people, so she knew that the child before her was at least E Rank, approaching the E+ Rank, which was extremely rare. Seeing one or two at this rank in a remote place just after being initiated was rare to the extremes.

'Plus, if her Aether Mana is that high at Level 1, she might have D- Rank Aether.'

Eila saw Cinderielle finished stabilizing her situation, so she spoke in a stoic tone. "Cinderielle, would you like to join our school?"

Cinderielle, who was preparing to turn and leave, blinked her orange eyes a few times and made a stupid sound. "Eh?"

77