Chapter 18: Underground Part 3
1.5k 12 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Audience Member A: {What the heck is going on?!}

Audience Member B: {The organizers better give us an explanation! I did not pay my hard earned money in order to sit here and wait!}

At this point, the audience members were all getting pissed off, some demanding explanations while others called for a refund. Just as I was figuring out a way to calm them down, the portcullis gate on the opposite side of the arena opened.

Animalistic grunts, along with the metallic sound of chains clanging, could be heard from beyond the gates. Soon, a large figure, flanked by several smaller figures, could be seen emerging from the gate. The large figure struggled as it was led into the brightly lit arena, and its appearance that was no longer covered in darkness was revealed to everyone.

{Gasp!}

The audience gasped when they saw a 3 metre tall, green-skinned monster struggle against the chains held by 7 Dwarfs and Humans. The monster was muscular and wore a crude set of leather and iron armour. Upon closer inspection, one could see that chains that bound the monster was glowing and radiating a slight amount of mana. 

(Appraisal.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Iron Chain

Quality: Decent

Enchantment: Durability II, Weakening II

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Weakening? It seems like the chains are capable of weakening anything they are bound to. Since I am already capable of enchanting my chain with the basic four elements of magic, I wonder if I will be able to apply such enchantments to my chains too.

Anyways, I started paying attention to the monster. It looks strangely familiar, but there is no way the species that is currently in my mind is able to grow so big, right?

I quickly appraised the monster.

(Appraisal.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Name: Gort, Level 29

Species: Vicious Goblin Brute

Description: Evolved from a Vicious Goblin Warrior. A complete muscle-brain which relies on brute force to defeat its enemies.

Hp: 4436/4436

Mp: 30/30

Attack Power: 79 (Weakened)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, that's pretty weak. I mean, sure, it is weakened by the chains. But even so, how much could the chains have weakened the Goblin?

Wait...

Goblin?

GOBLIN!!

I don't know why, but I have a burning HATRED against those rat bastards since one of them struck me with a stick. My minigun began revving up instinctually, but I calmed myself down.

(No, this is a good opportunity to occupy the audience's attention.)

I had to drag this fight out long enough so that the guards are able to arrive while the fight is still ongoing. Just as I was deciding how to hold myself back, the seven workers around the Goblin quickly released the chains they were holding onto and ran back through the gate before it was slammed shut. The Goblin stumbled after them while growling but wasn't able to catch up. Despite the chains only bounding its upper body, all of its movements and reactions seem to be slowed down.

(What, they aren't even going to set the Goblin free from the chain?)

The announcers, who managed to find a megaphone, began speaking from their booth.

Announcer A: {Wow, now that was unexpected. It looks like Venatrix was defeated!}

Announcer B: {Looks like we will have a new champion soon! But before that, lets see how well it fares against a Vicious Goblin Brute! Audience Members! Cast your bets now!}

Wait, why are they speaking as if Venatrix and that Goblin are on the same level? They aren't even a close match, Venatrix would wipe the floor with the Goblin. Meanwhile, the Goblin was peering through the portcullis gate on its side as it tried to chew through the iron bars with no avail.

A minute passed and the announcers began speaking again.

Announcer A: {Please return to your seats! Without any further ado, let us begin the countdown.}

Announcer B: {10! 9! 8! ...}

Is the Goblin more powerful than its stats indicate? Are the chains really that effective? Do they really think that a Goblin bound by chains is able to defeat me? 

The more I thought about it, the more furious I got. Are they underestimating me that much? I couldn't even go all out to prove to them that the Goblin is no match for me since I had to stall the match.

Just then, the countdown ended. Clicking sounds could be heard as the chains began to automatically fall off the Goblin Brute one by one. Haha, looks like I misunderstood them.

Also, I couldn't help thinking to myself that the magic in this world sure is convenient.

After being remotely freed from its chains, the Goblin Brute stretched its body before letting out a loud shriek.

{REEEEEEEEE!!}

I felt a slight amount of pressure washing over me. Not enough to feel threatened, but enough to know that it exists. It's on the level of a quiz that only consist of 10% of your final grades, and you have already studied for it thoroughly. I glanced at the audience and was surprised to find that most of them had pale faces.

Just in case, I appraised the Goblin once more.

(Appraisal.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Name: Gort, Level 29

Attack Power: 243

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can't audience members tell how weak the Goblin is? I appraised the audience members and was surprised to find that their average level was one or two levels lower than the average level of the Villagers in Ter Forest Village. Then, I realized something. 

(Aren't I pretty strong?)

Of course, I wasn't saying that I was the strongest being in existence, but considering the human's technological and strength level I have seen so far, I'm pretty sure I can take on an entire army.

{Bang! Bang!}

Like, I could just stay outside of the range of their mages and archers and shred through their army with my miniguns and rockets. My range is more than a kilometer, there is no way the mages and archers should be able to reach me, but maybe I should ask Carl about it first.

{Bang! Bang!}

Come to think of it, I should capitalize on my long range more, huh? But my hook would become useless at long range though.

{Splat! Splat!}

What was that sound? I was brought back to reality by the sound of flesh hitting metal. The Goblin was pummeling me with his fists. Okay, maybe using the word pummel is exaggerating. It's punches have as much effect as a normal human punching a brick wall. My health was regenerating faster than the Goblin's damage output.

Meanwhile, the Goblin's attacks began to slow down, and blood could be seen covering its knuckles. The Goblin, realizing it wasn't doing any damage, took a step back and roared, causing a purple aura to begin emitting from its body. The Goblin then resumed its attack with renewed effort.

(It's doing more damage, I think?)

The punches produced a louder sound than before, so I think it was doing more damage to me. I couldn't really tell since my health regeneration was still faster than its damage output. I could see that the audiences were getting bored, some of whom were questioning if I had run out of fuel. Looks like its my turn to move. Let us begin, shall we?

I judged the Goblin to be weaker than the "Hero" I faced before, and so, I began enchanting my bullets with Water magic to reduce their damage before firing a short burst at the goblin to test it out.

{GRAGH!}

The Goblin was sent flying into the arena's wall while spitting blood from it's mouth. In panic, I quickly appraised the Goblin to check it's health!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Name: Gort, Level 29

Hp: 3889/4436

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Phew, looks like I didn't go too far. I ignored the gasps from the audience members and waited for the Goblin to come at me again.

The Goblin slowly stood up, proceeded to stare at me for a while, and then turned tail and fled. It jumped onto the surface of the wall, but since the arena's walls were built completely flat, it had nothing to hold onto and immediately fell down. However, it did not give up and continued to attempt to scale the walls. Multiple ballistae targeted the Goblin, but none of them open fired since it had no way of escaping.

(What the hell?)

It's retreating already? Great, now that my opponent is too afraid to fight, how do I distract the audience long enough for help to arrive?

I quickly sent my hook flying, wrapping it around the Goblin's leg in an instant before slowly dragging it towards me. The Goblin shrieked in terror while scratching at the floor non-stop in a futile attempt to keep its distance from me, making the scene really dramatic.

Soon, the Goblin was right in front of my wheel. I suddenly had the impulse to drive forward and crush the Goblin, but I quickly curbed that thought. That would end the battle too quickly, so instead, I began swinging the hook side to side, slamming the Goblin on the ground repeatedly.

{Slam! Slam!}

I decided to drag the battle on until Carl arrived with the City Guards by continuing to do this. Taking a quick glance at the audience, I realized most of them had pale faces and horrified expressions. Of course, there were the odd ones with thrilled expressions, but they were the minority in the crowd which was mostly cowering with fear. I turned my focus back to the Goblin and Oh... Oh God...

The Goblin was covered entirely in its own blood, all of its limbs drooping at unnatural angles. The spots on the ground where I had smashed the Goblin into were splattered with massive pools of blood, creating a blood chilling sight one would see in a horror movie.

Whoops, looks like I have finally overdone it...

A quick check on its health showed that the Goblin had less than 500 health left. The Goblin was beginning to spasm, twitching non-stop as blood flowed continuously from its broken body. The sight disgusted me, but since this wasn't the first time I had seen a crushed Goblin, I wasn't traumatized by it. I decided to recover my humanity that I lost in my Goblin killing spree and put a bullet through its head, ending its suffering.

{Bang!}

[You have killed Goblin Brute, Gort. You gained 225 experience.]

I released the Goblin from the grasp of my hook, causing the body to slump over onto the ground. I turned my attention to the portcullis entrance I had entered from. If my radar was correct, a large group of humans and dwarfs should be approaching the arena through the path I had taken before, one of whom has a familiar presence. Although I did not manage to drag the battle on till the guards arrived, I felt that it wouldn't do well for me to be seen with a spasming Goblin anyways.

To stall for the final few seconds, I decided to cast 2 《Fire Magic: Fireball》 and 1  《Water Magic: Water Ball》, aiming them to intercept each other after a distance. I did this a few times at different locations in the arena, completely covering the arena in steam and obscuring everyone's view.

Then, I quickly unleashed my hook and chain towards Venatrix, wrapping it up in an instant. I had a gut feeling that I would be able to keep it in my inventory. Since I was able to store my sentient drones in my inventory, shouldn't I be able to store a golem? Well, I had only one way to test my theory out.

{Inventory}

As I expected, Venatrix disappeared from the arena, not that any of the audience could see her vanishing. My hook and chain immediately changed target towards the portcullis gate behind me, entwining each and every bar. I then pulled with all my might!

After a bit of resistance, the bars disconnected from the ground and ceiling and flew towards me at high speed.

{CLANK!}

{OW! SH-}

I won't mention what just happened to me. Let's just say that I just mysteriously received more damage than the Goblin ever did to me.

{Bang!}

Just then, a gun shot could be heard. Looks like Drone 3 had to shoot the ground as a warning to an audience member who tried to escape in the confusion. Screams could be heard from the audience members

I checked my sensors for one last time as I quickly swept away the steam with my rotor blades. Carl and the others had finally reached the arena!

31