Chapter 54: The King’s Seal
147 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Blood dripped onto the icy floor as a single man stumbled backward. At the same time, every person around immediately stopped fighting and looked at him with a mix of shock and surprise. Even the wounded green commander looked at him in surprise.

 

Jay’s gaze landed onto the king, but even he looked extremely surprised. Magic was a forbidden thing for the Iceborne, yet this didn’t mean they were afraid of it, they knew magic wouldn’t just attack its caster.

 

As more blood dripped onto the ground a yellow orb fell from within Jay’s jacket. At this point, Jay realized what happened. He had taken this previously white orb with him from the auction as he didn’t want to risk someone stealing it, furthermore if he met someone who could identify it he wanted to be able to show it immediately.

 

Shock filled his face as he stumbled backward further, the cut on his side was deep, rendering him practically useless. He looked towards Geralt for a second who knew immediately what to do. Jay had previously confided in him, telling him of his encounters with misty orbs thus far.

 

The white orb’s effect would stop once the orb was destroyed while the blue misty orb would only show its effects when destroyed. They had had an in-depth conversation of what to do when they found an orb of a different color too. But right now, when Jay looked at Geralt it wasn’t to deal with the misty orb, or rather it was in order to complete the first step of dealing with it.

 

Isolate the orb. Geralt jumped forward before any of the other people really realized what had happened and when his spear with sword intent flashed forward the Bloody Commander. Completely unprepared the commander was unable to completely guard himself, suffering a deep cut in the abdomen. Then, general Green too made his move attacking the wounded green commander.

 

The situation had changed. Even though Jay was out of the occasion, his ability to wound the green commander and distract the bloody commander had given his side an overwhelming advantage.

 

A few stabs and slashes later the duo had pushed back their enemies to the area inside of the king’s chambers. As for Jay, he went the other way, creating some distance between him and the yellow misty orb. Once he was around the corner he allowed himself to take a breather and drink some health potions. But while he was doing this, the situation in the king’s chambers had changed. Since they managed to push the commanders into the king’s chambers there was now enough space for bodyguard Gustel to enter the battle. 

 

This obviously instantly shifted the tide of battle even more, but just as bodyguard Gustel moved forward to deal with the king, said person held up a special seal. The air within the room instantly changed as the trio nearly fell to their knees to acknowledge him as their king. Gustel, in particular, fell to one knee with a twisted look on his face as he was trying to fight against the seal’s power.

 

Suddenly the seal’s power increased even further causing general Green to drop his weapon, making Geralt the only person still somewhat fit to fight. Just as the king walked forward towards Geralt to make him submit, a small icicle flew through the room striking the seal head-on. This item with such a fearsome effect broke immediately and its effect was lifted. Jay had also felt the power of the seal from his location and as soon as he felt it he immediately felt his desire to destroy it.

 

Once the seal was destroyed, the situation changed once more, both the green commander as well as the bloody commander were standing in a daze, stumbling around. A few moments later Geralt had knocked both of these commanders out, deciding not to kill them. The king himself had a terrified expression on his face.

 

Looking towards the trio walking up to them he shrieked, before dying in a single strike.

 

Now that the battle was over the trio first had a quick look at the king’s chambers, something that made them angry pretty soon. This large room was nearly entirely covered with fur. The carpet was made entirely with Iceborne fur. The coating on the small tables and even the frame of the bed all had fur covering them too. When they looked at what was atop the tables it was even worse. On one side was a pile of bones that was licked clean while on the other side were Iceborne fingers and tongues which were ready to be eaten raw.

 

But this, of course, wasn’t the most pressing matter. Between them and their Lord was one of the terrifying misty orbs, moreover, it was one of which they had no idea of the effects. All they knew is that it had hurt their Lord at a critical point.

 

Jay too was looking at the misty orb, it was glowing slightly with a yellow shine, without emitting any mist. After waiting for about a minute Jay ordered them to cross, during this time the orb didn’t do anything. After thinking for a moment Jay ordered bodyguard Gustel to stay here, if the misty orb emitted mist or did anything he was to destroy it.

 

When Jay and his generals arrived outside all hell had already broken loose. Screams could be heard everywhere as they saw a particular undead even walking towards them, seeing its eyes were bright red Jay cursed, the virus had mutated making it so that those who were bitten would turn nearly instantly. As far as he knew this should be an extremely rare occurrence so he hadn’t taken it into account.

After taking care of this single undead with an icicle Jay took out an item he had made earlier. The item in his hand was a simple lightstone within a glass container, after he took the first one out, three more swiftly followed. 

 

He created multiple small icy platforms using his magic and put these glass containers atop it, then he shot them upwards, creating an effect somewhat similar yet inferior to a flare gun.

 

At this point, his army should start moving, but Jay wasn’t at ease at all. The virus had already gone somewhat out of control, normally this would’ve been the perfect time to call in the army but due to the mutated virus, it would be able to take out a bunch of Iceborne within a short amount of time.

 

Realizing this, Jay and his generals moved towards the gate severing the eastern and western part of the city. Right now they had to help the Iceborne army or he would risk most of his own men turning into zombies.

4