Chapter 42 – Cloud Peak
266 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 42 - Cloud Peak

“The clouds here are strange.” Edwin said as he approached the bottom of the staircase that led into the clouds. From up close the white clouds seemed to be thick and fairly cohesive in shape. They weren’t misty or foggy like the clouds he had seen in the higher mountains near his own monastery.

“We call them nesting clouds.” Banmi replied, “The elders say that nimbus sprites gather and make homes out of them. Since the monastery is the richest point of spirituality in these mountains, they like to nest below it. This is why the monastery is always concealed by clouds.”

“That’s incredible.” Edwin said, “Have you ever seen one?”

“A nimbus sprite? No...” Banmi shook his head, “Maybe when I advance to Candidate.”

That makes sense. Edwin thought as they continued to climb. They were no longer skipping steps as they continued to run up the stairs at a more leisure pace.

“I’m actually going to advance to Candidate soon.” Edwin said smugly, “Maybe I’ll get to see them.”

“Really? Wow!” Banmi’s eyes lit up, “How old are you?”

“Fifteen.” Edwin said, trying to sound nonchalant.

“No way.” Banmi stopped climbing, “That’s impossible. No one reaches Candidate before twenty. Even twenty is still early!”

“My master became a Candidate when he was fifteen.” Edwin said, stopping a few steps higher. “And soon I will too.”

Banmi’s mouth dropped open in a big ‘O’, “You’re Master Ming Ru’s student?”

“You know him?”

“He’s been staying with us for a while-“ Banmi cut himself off sharply, “Oops. I’m not supposed to tell people.”

“Why not?” Edwin asked.

“Ah-“ Banmi’s head flushed red as he looked like he’d been caught. He looked at the ground as he spoke, “That’s just what the elders said. That he’s a distinguished guest and that we shouldn’t talk about him, especially to outsiders.”

“I’m his student though, so it’s okay.” Edwin said. “Right?”

“Mmm.” Banmi started climbing again, passing by Edwin without looking at him. “We should hurry up and get to the top. Elder Spade is waiting for us.”

Edwin frowned slightly, but at the same time he felt relieved. So his master really was at the temple! He felt invigorated by the news and picked up his pace.

They reached the bottom of the clouds quickly. Up close they looked almost like a cartoon drawing of clouds. They had a definite form that was almost like cotton fluff, although they shifted and flowed softly in the wind like an actual cloud. Banmi continued to run without stopping, his figure passing through and disappearing almost immediately in the clouds as they closed back in around him.

Edwin slowed his pace and reached out to the cloud, but his hand passed through without feeling anything solid.

“Come on Edwin, we’re almost there!” Banmi called out from within the cloud.

A smile grew on Edwin’s face as he ran straight up into the clouds. His vision was immediately impeded by a thick white fog, but he could still see the staircase in front of him clearly. There was definitely something strange about these clouds. He could feel their spirituality tingling around him as he ran up the stairs. As he ran he heard the faint sound of laughter from the air around him, though he couldn’t see anything.

The spirits are happy here. Edwin thought as he suddenly broke through the top of the cloud, which was only about half a flight of stairs in height.

“Woah!”

A tall, multi-leveled pagoda with pristine white walls and blue tiled roofs came into view above him. The roof of each level extended out from the walls by several meters, with decorated spines upon which small white stone statues of creatures sat in lines. The windows of the monastery were circular, with blue framing that made cloud-like patterns in the window space. Behind the main pagoda were several other buildings of different heights and shapes - most likely the living spaces of the monks. Surrounding the entire monastery was a white wall topped with a similar blue tiled roof. The metal gate of the monastery was wide open, feeling very welcoming.

Edwin had to stop and take in the sight. He had seen sketches of the monastery and heard about it in many stories, but seeing it in person made a completely different impression on him. It had a holy grandeur to it that made him feel like bowing his head in reverence. The building seemed to sparkle in the midday sun, as if there were gems embedded in the walls.

In the distance, many other peaks rose up in the sky as clouds floated by below. There seemed to be a similar halo of clouds around a few of the other peaks, though none as dense or thick as the one below the monastery.

Edwin reached the top of the stairs soon after, and saw Banmi standing next to a lean man in white robes with blue trimmings that resembled clouds. He had pronounced cheekbones and a scholarly countenance. He wore a pair of thin framed circular spectacles whose glass seemed to be made out of crystal. It obscured his eyes as the light of the sun reflected off of them.

Edwin did not forget his manners as he stood in front of the elder, steepled his fingers and bowed low. “Good afternoon, elder. My name is Edwin Mak of the Heavens Gate Monastery.”

The man smiled, raising his hands and clasping them together in a relaxed bow with a slight nod of his head, “Welcome to Cloud Peak, young Edwin. I am Master Spade. Please, join me inside.”

The master turned and began walking down the center of a large courtyard beyond the gates. Well manicured trees with crooked trunks sat in the center of flower beds. The smell of amber incense wafted through the air, mixing with the cool, brisk mountain air. On the sides of the courtyard were six shrines with ash filled incense braziers for praying set in front of the shrines. Many of the shrines were bare, with empty tables and stands. These stands were typically filled with candles, statues and other spiritually charged items.

As Edwin followed Master Spade he suddenly recalled something.

“Ah.” He said, “I came with a police officer. I forgot that he was following behind us.”

“Oh?” Master Spade raised an eyebrow at Banmi, who had also forgotten.

“Y-yes elder. He had an official letter from the police department. WeiHu had no choice but to let him pass.” Banmi bowed his head low.

“Very well. Banmi, please wait for the officer and bring him into the gatehouse. Watch over him until I return with Edwin.”

“Yes, elder.” Banmi bowed again and didn’t raise his head until Master Spade had turned and continued walking toward the main building.

“What is the police officer helping you with?” The old monk asked.

“He was helping me to find my Master, Master Ming Ru. He helped bring me here.” Edwin answered.

“Is that it?”

“Umm, I never asked. I’m not sure.” Edwin said, “He never mentioned anything else to me, though.”

“Very well.” Master Spade smiled and nodded, “As for your own reason for being here - Why do you think Master Ming Ru is at the monastery?”

“He was supposed to be here about a month ago, and we were supposed to meet two weeks ago in Noga City. But he never showed up.” Edwin said. Also, Banmi let it slip that he was here, but I’m not supposed to know that. Edwin thought quietly to himself. He didn’t mention the point since he didn’t want his new friend to get in trouble.

“I see.” Master Spade seemed to measure his words before he said, “Master Ming Ru is indeed at the monastery.”

“Really?” Edwin asked, feigning just a little bit of surprise as he excitedly asked, “Are we going to see him?”

Rather than going directly into the main pagoda, Master Spade turned on the path and took them around the side towards a set of low two storey buildings. They had the same architectural features as the main pagoda - blue tiled roof, white walls, circular windows. There were no statues along the spines of the roofs of these buildings.

“Master Ming Ru is currently outside on an excursion with the Abbott.” Master Spade said, “You are welcome to wait here for him in the meantime. We expect them to return by tomorrow morning, perhaps tomorrow night at the latest.”

“Thank you for your hospitality!” Edwin bowed deeply again, “I am eternally grateful for your help.”

Master Spade gestured for Edwin to enter one of the buildings, whose main doorway was open without a door. As Edwin passed by he thought he noticed a figure with long hair in one of the second floor windows, but when he turned his head to look the figure withdrew out of sight. He thought nothing of it as they climbed the three steps in front of the door and entered the building.

Inside was a small wooden floored hall that led to various rooms, also with open doorways.

“This is our guest house, for honoured visitors of our monastery. There are prayer rooms, meditation chambers and a courtyard for martial training as well.” Master Spade explained as they passed by several rooms.

After walking down the hall they went up a flight of stairs on the exterior of the building. It overlooked a beautiful garden and an open courtyard. At the moment it was empty and peaceful, with no other people in sight. The elder stopped in front of a white panel door and slid it open sideways, revealing a small but comfortably furnished room.

“You can stay in this room for the time being while you wait for your master to return. Please make yourself comfortable. You know Banmi, yes? I will get him to take care of you. In the meantime, please stay here or in the garden below until he arrives.” Master Spade said gently.

Edwin bowed deeply once more, “Thank you Elder Spade.”

The old monk left and walked leisurely to the front gate. Banmi was sitting on the steps waiting for the police officer to arrive. The old monk concealed his presence until he was next to Banmi, who was idly picking at the long grass next to the stairs.

“Banmi.” Master Spade said suddenly.

The young monk jumped up with a start. It seemed to him that the elder had just materialized next to him. “Y-y-yes, Elder!”

“Edwin is in the guest quarters. Go keep him company.”

The monk clasped his hands at his forehead and bowed low. “Yes, Elder!”

Master Spade reached out and rested his hand on Banmi’s shoulder as he said in a low voice, “That boy is not to leave your sight. Do not allow him outside the monastery walls, and keep him away from the Starlight Path and the Inner Sanctum. Other than that, he is our honored guest.”

“Yes, Elder!” Banmi bowed even lower, his eyes looking straight down at the ground.

“Go now, I will handle the police officer.”

Banmi ran off to the quarters while Master Spade looked down the staircase with a small frown on his face. He adjusted the spectacles on his nose as he waited for the officer to arrive.

11