Chapter 161 – Mind over Mind
155 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 161 - Mind over Mind

As Locke gave the execution order, Zwei’s sense of deja vu suddenly spiked to a climax as he realized that he knew exactly what was going to happen next.

In this premonition he saw the wild looking man’s eyes glow bright green as he raised his hand to target Yuzu. However, just as he was about to attack Locke raised a silver dagger and jammed it down into the wild man’s collar at the base of his neck.

The wild man let out a scream of rage as he turned to face Locke, but Locke thrust his other hand onto the wild man’s face as a swarm of shadows enveloped his arm and surged into the wild man’s eyes, mouth and ears.

Locke continued to apply steady pressure on the dagger as he forced the struggling man to his knees. After a few seconds the life left the wild man’s body and he collapsed to the floor.

Zwei saw this vision as clearly as if he were actually present in that moment. He felt the heavy weight of the blade in his hands and felt his muscles tense and bulge as he forcefully suppressed the man to his knees. He experienced the intense mental battle against the man’s psyche as his powers overran the man’s mind.

In that moment, Zwei relived the memory as Locke.

~

As Zwei came to this realization he felt the world around him shift. He felt like an entity within the memory had awoken as he jolted out of the premonition to see Locke staring directly at him as he stood beside the wild man. The world returned to the state it had been, right before Locke’s betrayal.

“There’s children here.” The wild man said, “What should we do?”

The walls of the mansion began to crumble as twisting black shadows seeped into the hallway from all around Zwei. The encroaching corruption that Zwei had seen at the horizon throughout the memory had finally reached him!

“Kill them.”

The wild man’s eyes glowed green as he raised his hand toward Zwei and Yuzu, but this time Locke didn’t stab his partner in the back. Zwei’s eyes widened as Locke’s eyes became pitch black and his body became embroiled in a writhing cloak of shadow insects.

The two men launched their Exalted attacks against Zwei at the same time that the mansion came crashing down around him. The roar of the storm and collapsing building drowned out Zwei’s screams.

In his mind, Zwei was absolutely certain he was going to die. However an illusory voice called out to him, cutting through the noise.

“Stay strong! Fight against it!”

His body was crushed under rubble as a wave of sickening green miasma enveloped him. His skin blistered and blacken as it rotted under the blast. The shadows cascaded down on him as they swarmed into his eyes, nostrils, mouth and ears. Pain unlike anything he’d ever experienced wracked his body and mind.

But even through the midst of this incredible storm, Zwei managed to hold on. He screamed in pain as he fought against the barrage, his hands like claws as he reached out toward Locke.

He took a step forward through the darkness and the collapsing world around him. His limbs were heavy, each movement felt like he was struggling through thick burning molasses.

It’s all in my mind. A single thought kept him going. It’s all just an illusion.

Through the chaos, Zwei could clearly see Locke staring at him. The wild man and young Yuzu had both disappeared. All that remained in this world was him and Locke.

With each step, Locke’s figure changed. He became thinner, more haggard. Blistering rough rashes appeared on his skin and face. He changed from the Locke of the past to the Locke as Zwei knew him in the present day.

As Zwei continued forward, step by agonizing step, Locke’s flesh grew grey and began to wither. The light in his eyes died as his body shriveled into a corpse.

The storm around Zwei quieted and the supernatural attack dissipated as Locke’s body finally gave out.

A soft sigh came from the corpse as Zwei felt the malicious presence expire in his mind.

~

The sun shone brightly overhead as Finn stood outside the dilapidated house surrounded by a squad of officers. A soft breeze blew dust and dried leaves across the empty dirt road.

Six officers with high ranking badges were spread out in a dome around him, watching him with casual alertness. Directly in front of him was the Forensics Chief of Police, Dexter Vox. The older man with wiry hair, thin spectacles and a thin frame scrutinized him with a serious, wary expression.

Finn’s mind was racing. How was this meeting location discovered? Had there been an information leak?

He thought back to Zwei’s solemn warning. There was a mole in the police force. Zwei had been sure it was Chief Bear, but Chief Vox’s appearance in front of Finn was extremely suspicious.

From the cold, analytical expression on Chief Vox’s face, Finn surmised that Chief Vox was sizing Finn up. Vox hadn’t been expecting Finn here. This was enough to let Finn know that Vox wasn’t on Chief Fang’s side.

“Tell me, what are you doing here?” Chief Vox asked with calm authority.

“I’m here on a special investigation, sir.” Finn said, continuing to stand at attention, “The details of my assignment are top secret.”

“Who is your superior officer?” Chief Vox asked.

“I can’t say, sir.” Finn replied. “I am under strict instructions not to disclose any information to anyone other than my supervisor.”

He reached into his pocket and pulled out his Special Investigator badge, showing it clearly to the Chief and officers. It was a flimsy defence, but Finn knew that police force policy was clear that officers with such orders were protected from interrogation - at least, not without following specific procedures. This meant unless Chief Vox wanted to grossly break from policy, Finn was temporarily safe.

Finn saw the shadow of a smirk twitch at the corner of Chief’s lips. Finn could see the Chief scrutinize him, his eyes pausing on Finn’s uniform which was scuffed up with dirt from his venture into the pit. He could read the Chief’s sentiments in his eyes - it was that of a predator that had cornered a prey.

“I understand. Very well, I won’t ask you for information. However the matter that I’m investigating here is a matter of national security.” Chief Vox replied, “Your assistance would be… appreciated.”

“This is a class E3 investigation.” Finn replied coolly, casting a discerning glance to the officers around them, “Do all the officers here have the proper clearance?”

Chief Vox’ brow furrowed ever so slightly as he frowned at Finn. His eyes squinted and lips curled in a subtle snarl as he turned, “Corporals, form a perimeter. No one is to come within one hundred meters of this house.”

Four of the six officers saluted and moved out of earshot.

“Carry on.” Vox replied, looking Finn directly in the eyes, “I’m curious to know just what is down there that would require such high level clearance.”

“A matter that concerns national security.” Finn replied, his eyes steadily returning the stare. Class E3 were matters that involved Disciple level Exalted or higher.

“As for details that I can share… I arrived here with my partner and investigated the premises. The house is abandoned, however there is a deep staircase leading underground. At the bottom there is a corpse of a man, identity unknown.” Finn said, “I am on my way to make my report. My partner is down below, if you want you can enlist his help.”

Finn was careful not to give away anything that wouldn’t be discovered by these officers. As for Zwei- there was nothing Finn could do for him.

Finn saluted upon delivering the report and began to walk off.

“Hold it.” Chief Vox said sharply.

Finn cursed under his breath as he turned around. “Yes, sir?”

“Given the nature of the situation, I’m sure you understand that I cannot allow you to leave.”

“Respectfully, sir, I am only required to report to my supervisor.” Finn replied, summoning all the confidence he could.

“Your protest is noted.” Vox said dismissively, “You can either accompany us in our investigation, or I will detain you until it is complete.”

Finn’s sense of foreboding deepened as he saw the calculated expression on Chief Vox’s face.

“This is a blatant disregard of procedure.” Finn masked his worry with a look of displeasure, “I’ll be reporting this matter to my supervisor.”

“I’ll deal with the consequences back at the station.” Chief Vox said, gesturing toward the door, “Please, Officer, lead the way.”

Finn briefly considered requesting to be detained, but there was no telling how long Vox would keep him locked up. In addition, Zwei was still down below fighting off the psychic infection. If Zwei recovered and the two of them were detained by Vox, any difference in their stories could end in disaster.

Finn was clearly not going to be allowed to slip away. His only hope would be to assist the investigation and hopefully make it back to the station, where he wouldn’t be under the sole control of one chief.

“Very well.” Finn said, glancing around at the officers before walking back toward the house, “Follow me.”

11